Author Topic: Almost Lost Memories  (Read 11080 times)

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Almost Lost Memories
« on: March 28, 2011, 03:55:27 PM »
It had been a long few day - William had left the city and headed east as he did at this time every year. The grave of his Susanna had been covered over decades ago, but he still went every year. Even Indiana, who knew more about him than most (and that still wasn’t all that much) hadn’t been told where the blonde was headed. And he hadn’t been told last year either.

Will had simply up and left, riding his motorbike and taking only a rucksack with a few things he would need. He had stayed at a vampire friendly hotel which he’d stayed at the past few years and was now on his way home. As he came closer to the city though, William began to feel a strange itch inside. It was one he hadn’t felt for years, decades, more than a hundred and fifty years. In fact, William made it to the house he shared with Indiana and the sun had risen before he managed to put his finger on what it was he was feeling.

Something familiar, someone familiar. But it had been so long it felt like a stranger touching his soul.

William had only sired three fledglings in his time as a vampire. One was dead, but the others… they were out there somewhere. He hadn’t felt the gut wrenching feelings of losing a fledging since he was young himself though, so he assumed they were both alive. Or perhaps he’d lost touch with them for so long that he wouldn’t even know if they were gone - William didn’t really know how it worked and hadn’t given any thought to his fledglings for decades.

But now William knew one of them was alive and as he recognised the blood bond he could barely remember why he had wanted to get away from her.

Frustrated by the sun forcing him to stay inside William paced the living room alone, then spent a couple of minutes pounding on Indiana’s door, hoping the redhead might change his habits of the past couple of years and actually be awake, but to no avail. He didn’t actually intrude on his housemate’s sleep though and retired to the living room once again - starting a movie, then stopping it when it didn’t manage to distract him. His mind was wandering back to his fledgling, feeling her peaceful slumber, wondering if she had known he had arrived in the city before she had gone to sleep. He wondered if he would know if she had sired anyone  - if they were with her. That had been her intention, the reason why he had left her. Two was perfect, three was the start of a crowd which William hadn’t wanted.

William spent the last couple of hours of the daytime showering, getting ready to go out and see her. He had to. He knew he would be able to find her easily and after so long was it any wonder he spent a while preparing?

The blonde didn’t think he had ever mentioned Anna to Indiana - perhaps he would be surprised to find out his fledgling was female for a start. But everyone was entitled to a change of taste and William had always been a fickle creature. He had been lonely when he found Anna and she had been a breath of fresh air. He’d had no choice but to save her from the fate which had awaited her family. William wasn’t prepared to step in and try to save the rest of them, but he couldn’t let that happen to her. Leaving her had been difficult, but it was something he’d felt he had to do. It was all getting too serious, too intense.

And she had been threatening to disobey him. That had been what had really pushed him over. The thought of that still made him furious. He had said no and she had just been getting at him and wouldn’t let up and so William had left her.

When the sun rose William was poised by the front door and he was out as soon as he could be. Not sleeping had its perks and this was one of them. No doubt Indiana would know he had been home. For a start his bike was in its place in the garage once again and there were signs around the house that the blonde had come home.

But he didn’t hang around to see Indiana and let him know what was going on. The blood bond was faint and William didn’t want to risk her waking and leaving before he could find her. There was little chance of that though. He’d found where she was within half an hour, running instead of driving because he didn’t want anything getting in his way. He had been wrong though, she wasn’t in the city, she was just on the outskirts. Of course she was. She may have been drawn here like he had been, but the idea of seeing Anna in a city, surrounded by huge buildings, maybe living in a modern apartment. Well that simply wasn’t an image Will could picture. She was a creature of nature. People adapted, but she was so stubborn, he could imagine her easily being caught in the past. She may try out new phases, but she would go back to her own ways.

When he felt her stirring, waking up, ready to rise for the night, William was sat on the porch swing, gently swinging back and forth, his grey eyes searching the forests surrounding the dark woods surrounding the cabin. He was wearing black slacks and a simple grey shirt, open at the neck, showing off the silver cross he always wore. His blonde hair was much shorter than when she had last seen him, with a bit of wax in it to give some texture, but other than that his appearance had changed little. He wore simple black shoes and a little aftershave and before he’d left the house he’d changed his outfit five times to pass the time.

William had never focused much on mental abilities, but communication with a fledging was as easy as breathing. Or as easy as it had been when he was human.

Ahinawake, it’s rude to leave a guest waiting outside too long, he said with a firm note to his mental voice as he played with his necklace. It wasn’t long after sunset, she may still be sleepy, but William had little patience.

Saccharin

Re: Almost Lost Memories
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 05:30:55 PM »
Dreams came to her as she slept. She was a child again, climbing high into the arms of an old oak tree. Her hands were sticky with sap and her arms grew tired, yet she still persisted, pulling herself higher and higher. She laughed into the wind as it pushed and pulled against the tree, daring it to try and remove her. Wind could not tear her from the tree! She was a squirrel, her fingers biting into the bark and her body low, so the air rushed over and around her.

Laughter became a screech when the wind roared its frustration and made fingers to pull at her, causing her to hug at a branch. Tears streamed from her eyes as the wind continued blowing and she cried out as the branch splintered. Before she could fall, she felt a hand clasp around her wrist. Grey eyes, the color of the sky before it gave water to the earth looked down upon her and she smiled, knowing she was safe. Then the eyes darkened and the earth rushed up to greet her.

Anna woke with a gasp and looked around the small one room cabin she\'d taken from an elderly man. He\'d been waiting for death in the midst of the forest and had accepted her embrace willingly. The bed she slept on was covered with a colorful patchwork quilt and she stroked it idly, wishing it was fur. She could amend that, given time and good hunting. Her fingers stilled when a voice shoved its way through her thoughts and made them their own.

She threw off her covers and stalked to the door, clad in nothing but an oversized t-shirt and panties, leaving her thighs and long legs exposed. After a moment\'s hesitation, she opened the last remaining barrier left between them and stood before her sire with hands on her hips.

Rude to visit uninvited, William, she replied. What do you want?

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 06:20:10 AM »
William stood up as she opened the door to the cabin, turning to face her, his hands dropping to fold tidily behind her back. She was still beautiful, of course, that would never change now. The hair, hanging in a beautiful sheet and that clear skin - not as pale as most vampires but the pallor had faded the rich colour somewhat. He kept the admiration out of his gaze though. She was a vision, but she was his fledgling and she had tried to disobey him.

“I couldn’t have said it better myself, quite rude,” William said, taking a step closer as he spoke outloud. “And yet you turn up here, in my city and do not even deem it necessary to announce yourself to your sire. Or have your abilities progressed so little in almost two hundred years that you can’t even recognise when your master is near?” he asked with a sneer. She may remember how little he liked using mental skills, but she wouldn’t know whether the same was still true. And if she had been working on her mental powers, Will had no doubt he would be able to block her out. That he could do.

“Why are you here?” he asked, turning her question back on her.

Saccharin

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
She too took a step forward, her hands balled into fists. A dangerous man stood before her, and it would\'ve been wise to give him ground, but her anger boiled away any reasonable thoughts she might\'ve possessed. "You speak as if you own me," she said, her chin jutted forward defiantly. With her head tilted back as it was, she had great success in looking down her nose at a man a couple inches taller than she.

"You don\'t own me. You never did. Even if you had never left me to find my own way, you would have no rights to me." Her spoken words were harsh, not only because of her choice in them, but because of the way she spoke from the back of her throat, keeping her tongue pressed against her teeth when it should rise to the roof of her mouth.

"And I didn\'t feel you until I woke. I would\'ve picked a forest far away from this one to make my home if I had felt you sooner." She snorted derisively. "But maybe I should\'ve taken in the air to know you were here. You smell like a skunk."

Anna spoke of his aftershave. Though truly unoffensive to her senses except for being overwhelming, it was something she could use to insult him with. Petty and childish, yes, but when the goal was to distract from admitting she hadn\'t been aware of William\'s presence, she was not above using whatever ammunition she found.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
Well her not feeling him until she woke up was fair enough - he’d arrived back at the city close to sunrise and she may well have already retired to bed.

He raised an eyebrow at her pathetic attempt at an insult and a tiny smile appeared on his lips. He had on minimal aftershave - although he had always been so sensitive to such man-made evils. That had been part of the reason why he’d worn it - he liked the smell and he’d known she wouldn’t really. And she was already angry - it was just too easy.

“Better to smell like a skunk than act like a savage. Anna, we are bound - although apparently you have forgotten it. And it pains me to see a child of mine adapting so badly to this world. Look at you, Ahinawake, hiding out here when there’s a whole new world not a mile away.”

He lifted a hand to touch her cheek gently, then his hand turn to grip her throat and William thrust Anna against the wall of the cabin, his grey eyes flashing angrily. He was more than twice her age and so had the strength to be able to over power her with ease.

“And you are mine. You owe me everything.”

Saccharin

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2011, 05:06:06 PM »
Her head bounced off the wall with such force that she was momentarily dazed. When she recovered, she instinctively grabbed his wrist with both hands, trying to pry his fingers from her throat. Even if she didn\'t need to breathe to survive, she did need air to give her words form. Her curses came out garbled and incoherent until she emptied her lungs and could speak no more.

I owe you nothing! she exclaimed mentally. To give her words more impact, she kicked out at him, hoping she\'d at least bruise his shins for the pain he\'d caused her. If he\'d been closer, she would\'ve raised her knee to land in his groin, but she was not so fortunate.

You took me from my family, made it so I could never join them again. And then you left me. You left me!

Emotions and flashes of memories traveled over the link they shared. Beneath the anger that she\'d had decades to nurse was still a remnant of the sadness she\'d felt when she woke to find that William had left her. She\'d laughed at him, thinking it an empty threat when he\'d said he wouldn\'t be coming back, but he didn\'t return the next night. He\'d never returned.

For a moment, her eyes held some of the grief she felt before she hardened her gaze. You demand I remember our bond when you were the one who severed it. You left me.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »
William’s lips curled into a snarl as she kicked at him and he pressed a leg forwards in an attempt to still hers. He caught the look in her eyes as she spoke mentally to him and he didn’t try to block out the emotion and memories she’d sent. William rarely remember things which didn’t matter - but this, this mattered.

She was right, he was the one who had left and he hadn’t looked back. He hadn’t let  himself because if he had he would have turned up at her side once more. He’d wanted a companion and she had been one who wouldn’t leave him. But he’d left her. Like he’d had to leave Suzanna.

“I left because you were going to ruin everything. You would never have let it go. He would have…” His voice trailed off as he let go of her throat, giving her a final shove back against the wall of the cabin as he half turned away.

Everything was perfect. I never understood why you want to change it, he said mentally. He rarely let himself get close to people - Anna, Suzanna, Indiana - having other people intrude just ruined everything. Or at least it might if William let himself stay around to see it. It hadn’t happened with Indiana yet, but William was just waiting for something, someone, to ruin everything.

“I could either leave you or left later with horrible memories. And I couldn’t do that,” William said in a softer voice, although he was still visibly tense.

Saccharin

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 08:30:08 PM »
She rubbed her neck gingerly after he released her, knowing he\'d left bruises, but also aware the marks would fade before they fully bloomed. "Let what go? My people? What happened to them? I don\'t need anyone to remind me of what happened," she said sourly.

"I don\'t force the past from my mind. It is part of me. You knew this when we met." Many of the hours they\'d spent together, she\'d recited the oral traditions her mother had passed down to her, stories of creation, death and of her ancestors. William had seemed to - or at least pretended to - enjoy hearing her speak, even when she\'d had to revert to her native tongue because she didn\'t have enough white words to tell the stories properly.

When he gave his explanation for having left her, annoyance returned to her eyes briefly. The memories might have been good, but they would never know. He\'d run from her rather than wait and see. If he\'d just waited until the next night, it wouldn\'t have mattered anyway, for the man she\'d wanted to sire had died.

Anna moved to stand in her doorway, leaning her shoulder against the frame and crossing her arms over her chest.

"I know now why you left, but I still don\'t know why you returned." The tilt of her face and her raised eyebrows made it into a question, even if her mouth had not framed it as such.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2011, 06:14:06 AM »
“Let me letting him die. You wouldn’t have let that go. And you know what, when you had in our home, I was hoping he would die. Every second he was there, I wanted him to die so that you wouldn’t ask me again to make him one of us,” William snapped with a scowl.

She loved her past, she wallowed in it - that was one of the huge differences between them. She clung to every moment, for William there was no point in keeping hold of things which no longer mattered. Maybe they would have argued about something else and ruined them. Surely it was better to have left than to have had her leave him?

He raised an eyebrow at her question, an intentionally blank look on his face. “Returned? I live here. You haven’t said what you’re doing here yet,” William said, knowing very well avoiding the question would annoy here - but she deserved it, turning up here with that blood in her veins, his blood. And she hadn’t even known he was nearby. It was insulting. She was such a brat.

Saccharin

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2011, 10:28:08 AM »
"I wish you had died instead," she said, biting out each word. "Stupid, selfish man." Her clanmate had been a good man, and a preserver of his ways. Born to a society in which men and women had separate tasks, traditions and ceremonies that did not overlap, something that might\'ve been preserved had been lost when William had refused to sire him.

She pushed herself up from her leaning position, standing her full, impressive height (for a woman, at least).

"You do not live in this forest. I do. Why are you here?" She glowered at him. "Unless you came to remove me?"

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 03:45:27 PM »
“You can say what you want about me. Maybe I am, but I’m still here. He’s not,” William said with a shrug.

His blank look began to slowly turn into a smile as she continued to question him, feeling her getting more worked up through their bond as well was being able to see it in her eyes.

“You live here? Barely. You’re passing through. Of course, if you did have plans to stay longer, I may have to work on this disrespect you show me and your clear lack of progress since I left you. You’re my fledgling - you don’t act as though you know it. Perhaps we need to strengthen that bond again,” William said, once again stepping close and his hand went for her throat but this time not with an iron grip but a gentle caress.

“You need to feed?” he asked, guessing she would snap at him, shove his hand away. But when if she was staying in this city he wanted to know exactly what she was feeling. Whether she wanted to or not.

“And since you haven’t got a fledgling hidden away in there, I may be able to forgive you for your actions,” he added with a smirk.

Saccharin

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2011, 04:47:40 PM »
Anna snorted indelicately. As far as she was concerned, he received all the respect he deserved. She\'d opened her mouth to tell him as much when he reached out for her neck again. Her mouth snapped shut and she steeled herself for another bout of rough treatment, but she relaxed when he didn\'t try to strangle her again.

"Not hungry," she lied, swatting at his hand as he\'d expected. She\'d taken the old man that had lived at the cabin, but that had been nights ago. It wasn\'t information she planned on sharing with William, though, not when he\'d mentioned refreshing the bond they shared in the same breath. The last thing she wanted was to be cemented more firmly to him.

"I think you should leave now," she said, taking a few steps backwards until she remembered there would be no escape that route. The only way out was through William, and no matter how quick she was, she still wouldn\'t be able to outmaneuver him. She gritted her teeth and the muscles of her square jaw flared. It\'d been a mistake to go into the cabin.

All she could do now was wait to see what action he\'d take.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »
“No, I don’t think so, and you shouldn‘t refuse to feed just to spite me. It‘s not healthy,” William said, stepping forwards as she moved back and wandering past her into the house, looking around with interest. It was obvious she hadn’t been here long. It still smelt like human in here, not a pleasant smell really.

“So you are planning on staying a while? I would like to know if I’m going to have this niggling for long. It’s very distracting. I could barely sleep last night,” WIlliam said conversationally. Of course, he never slept, but she wouldn’t know that - he’d hated sleeping when she had been sired, but he’d had to do it still. And she was distracting. A stronger bond would made it firmer, less vague. That would be better. And he could block her mind, but not their blood.

"You should get dressed, we can go find someone for you to feed on. Have you been into the city yet?" he added, guessing the answer would be \'no\' to both.

Saccharin

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »
She blinked at William as he strolled into the cabin. The way he was acting was entirely different than what she\'d come to expect. His words still held some bite, but not nearly the amount of venom they had earlier. Either he was playing games with her or he really was already forgetting what had transpired in the past. Whatever the case, she was happy he hadn\'t launched himself at her with violent intentions.  

Anna watched his progress, noting the way he wrinkled his nose like he\'d caught some foul scent. Taking an experimental sniff, she found nothing amiss. Since she\'d been in the home for several nights, she\'d already grown used to the smell, so much that she couldn\'t find it in the air anymore. Thinking that he was making faces because he didn\'t approve of her living arrangement, she didn\'t comment. It had all she needed: covered windows, bed, fireplace and a washbasin. Anything else would just be clutter. She didn\'t need to defend herself in that.

"I am staying here, yes, and no, I haven\'t," she responded as she moved toward her bed and the pile of clothes that rested at its foot. She rolled her eyes as he complained about not being able to sleep, and then reached down to scoop up a pair of jeans. After shaking them out, she pulled them on.

"Why  are you doing this, anyway?" she asked as she removed the shirt she\'d slept in and then slid on a bra and snug-fitting black tank top. All this she\'d done without being concerned whether or not William watched her. He\'d seen her bare body before and she certainly had no reason to  be ashamed of it.

"Do you really care about me again?" She seemed to have already determined the answer he\'d give, as single eyebrow was raised loftily.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »
“Well we have to change that. It’s so easy to feed in a big city. No one care about anyone else, they don’t look,” he said, wandering around the cabin, pausing briefly by a picture tacked to the wall, straightening it slightly as she dressed and spoke.

And it was a good question. He wasn’t sure why he was still here, forcing himself on her like this. She was pissed at him, he was still angry at her too,  but this was how William was - he would blank things out and this was how he acted normally. Friendly, conversational, but impersonal, uncaring. It was how he’d acted when she first met him, although that was a long time ago now.

“You’re my fledgling. Of course I care about you,” he said, glancing towards her with a raised eyebrow. He cared enough about what had happened for him to want to hang around just to piss her off. He wasn’t just going to let her stay here, living in peace, thinking he wouldn’t just show up whenever he felt like, whenever it was inconvenient for her.

“You should get a few things - make it more your own. I assume the home owners aren’t just coming back after a holiday? You have money?” he asked, rolling the questions into one as he turned to face her properly, hooking his thumbs into his trouser pockets as he watched her.