Author Topic: Whimper  (Read 17666 times)

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
Whimper
« on: May 10, 2011, 01:09:28 PM »
Below, the waves pounded the cliffs relentlessly. The lighthouse stood high above, not even touched by the spray, impervious to the foaming teeth of a snarling sea. The endless shrug of power was exhilarating and humbling, and even after years of watching it, Lefty still hadn’t gotten tired of it.

He liked the sea. People changed, but the ocean didn’t. Landmasses shifted and reformed, were eroded by wind, time, and man, but the sea was the sea, boundless, blue-green, and unimaginably old. There had been hard times in his life, and standing before the immensity of the sea had help but things into perspective. He had tried to capture the exhilaration of a tumbling wave, the awe-inspiring sense of smallness one got when they were standing unguarded before such immensity, in the dreams he gave to people, but he felt he had yet to perfect it.

The nightmare had disdained the physical plane for the evening, instead preferring to drift along the air, suffused with its salty tang, as light and careless as a summer breeze. This was a good place to chill until he found a real home to stay in. Few people came up here, human or otherwise, and the ragged cliffs and restless breezes kept most vegetation, and most importantly, the spring air--laden with the perfume of flowers--well away from him.

But hark! His solitude was being intruded upon! Someone was coming up the winding path leading to the lighthouse, worn smooth by countless feet and studded with warped trees. He crept along (as far as anything without a body could be said to have crept) and crouched in the shadows of the tall sea-grass, waiting. He’d planned on taking it easy tonight, but if someone was going to come poking up around here, he might as well have fun.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Whimper
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:30:44 PM »
Ami Trask wasn\'t having any fun. In fact, tonight was probably the least fun night she\'d had in, say, a year and a half. And she looked it. Ami – who\'d spent a lifetime concealing and controlling her emotions – looked like she\'d had a rough night. Plodding up those weatherworn stairs, her eyes on her feet, hands shoved in her pockets. She didn\'t even see where she was going, not really. Lefty had told her she could find him here, and so she went. She\'d left Risk after that last song, too sick in her heart to keep singing.

And who could blame her? It wasn\'t every day she ran into her vampire ex and his new squeeze (also, surprise! a vampire), only to find out she\'d been an unwitting participant in some fucked up competition for his attention for the entire duration of their relationship.

What she really needed was to forget. For now. And Lefty...Lefty was good for that. For stupid banter and cute conversation. It made her warm in her belly when he was around, and she liked it.

Not that any of this was conscious, really. She just knew that her feet were carrying her there, up to the cliffs and the crash of the waves and the scent of the sea.

Finally, she settled herself on the steps leading up to the old lighthouse, resting her elbows on her knees and her head in her hands. Her entire body a sigh waiting to be exhaled.

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »
When Lefty recognized her, his first instinct was to start messing with the landscape around her; perhaps he could deepen the shadows, make everything look slightly more warped and foreboding than it really was. This playful intention was nixed when he saw how beat-down she looked. Instantly he was concerned. What had happened?

Ami was… Ami. Ami officially Did Not Give a Fuck. Yet here she was looking as if she were about to collapse. He trailed up the path after her, like the ghost of a dog following its master, which wasn’t actually probably too far from the scenario at hand. He let her get herself well and settled before he condensed his form, forced himself through the gaps in the ley-lines back into the world of physical things, and stood there before her without announcement, looking much the same as he always had: leather jacket, brushed-back ginger hair, a pair of sunglasses perched on his aquiline nose, and beaten blue jeans.

“You look like you’ve been through the wringer, Boss,” he said, grimacing. “You, uh, okay?”

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 01:43:58 PM »
And then suddenly, there he was. A flicker of warmth in her belly as she looked up, letting her hands fall between her knees. Not enough to chase away the aching chill in her chest and throat, but close.

"Yeah," she lied. Then felt bad about it. She was well into the territory of Not Okay. "Had a bad night," she amended, then shrugged, looking up at him. Her makeup was heavier than usual. Or maybe just smeary.

Suddenly, she reached out her hand, "Can I see your sunglasses?"

And now she was actually asking for things.

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »
Lefty eyed her doubtfully. He was inclined to be silly and flighty, but that didn’t mean he was easily fooled. He did have at least twice her lifespan’s worth of experience. He wasn’t sure if he should take her at face value or tell her that the jig was up, but she solved his conundrum by speaking first. Asking for his sunglasses? That was just plain creepy.

Still, the least he could do was oblige her. “Sure thing.” He removed them, folded them, and stepped forward, presenting them to her with a flourish. “Keeping track of the visions in your dreams, boss? I could always help with that.” He gave a half-grin, but it didn’t have its usual oomph.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 09:13:21 AM »
Lefty was one of the most awkward people Ami had ever met. But he was so damn cheerful about it that she couldn\'t get annoyed with him. Not even now. When she really just wanted him to sit down next to her and pat her on the head and tell her it would be okay.

Which were all really weird things for her to want. So instead of asking for them, she just took the offered sunglasses and put them one. Hiding her eyes and her smeary makeup.

"I never remember my dreams unless you\'re around," she said, looking up at him from behind his shades. Oh wow, those were dark. She...could not see shit, captain. But at least she looked kinda fly. She thought.

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 09:35:25 AM »
Lefty tilted his head slightly at that confession, and his half-assed grin faded entirely. At first he thought that she was counter-quoting him, trying to keep up their verbal tit-for-tat, but it did eventually dawn on him that she was being serious. Huh. Not remembering dreams--that was a strange affliction. Even stranger was the fact that Ami was not, in fact, playing along, but simply talking to him. Something was wrong.

Lefty didn\'t often have to hide his expressions from people. He let the glasses do that, so he wasn\'t very good at masking the slight furrow in his brow, the way he involuntarily squinted one eye in what he thought was a calculating gesture, but really just made him look constipated. The game was afoot, and he was obviously onto her. Unsure what to say, instead he turned and plopped right down next to her, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees and his gloved hands clasped. He could ask her if she was okay again, but she might just say that she was again. So he would speak under the assumption that, though they didn\'t say it, they both knew that she was most certainly not okay.

"You wanna talk about it?" He finally asked softly, turning to look at her.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:44:45 AM »
Dammit. Her poker face was in need of a serious tune-up. But at least he was sitting next to her. That was one of the things she\'d wanted. Right?

She sighed as he sat down, though, and shook her head. Did she want to talk about it? "I...don\'t know," she said finally "I ran into...an ex. At the club. It was shitty." She was truly a master of the understatement. She shoved a hand through her hair ansat up for a moment to tug her cigarettes from her pocket.

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 10:06:29 AM »
Lefty winced in sympathy. He didn\'t have any kind of personal experience with that sort of thing, but he didn\'t have to to understand how that could hurt someone. Ami didn\'t seem angry, and that was troubling. Ami didn\'t roll over for anybody. Who could have hurt her so bad that they\'d knocked out her will to fight? The nightmare watched her, his emotions flickering undisguised through his bared eyes. Concern, a little bit of confusion as to how he was to comfort her--he was a creature designed to instill fear, which was more or less the opposite of comfort--but mostly affection for the human whose company he\'d come to enjoy. What would have been normal was for him to put a hand on her shoulder, maybe give it a squeeze.

What he did was scoot a little closer and gently nudge her shoulder with his, an oddly equine, but quite heartfelt, gesture. It was more or less genuine, 100% distilled Lefty. "You gotta get it out, boss," he said, his voice soft and devoid of its usual pleasant laughing tone, "one way or th\'other."

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 10:13:55 AM »
The little shoulder-bump put a smile on Ami\'s face, if only for a second, and she turned her head to look at him.

And goddamn, those sunglasses were really way too dark. She slid them off her face and placed them on her her head, sweeping the straggling strand of hair off her forehead.

"Can I get it out by punching stuff?" She raised an eyebrow. That was how she usually got stuff out. When she had stuff to get out.

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:29:56 AM »
When Ami first looked to him, his expression was intense, serious, and wholly concentrated on her. At her words, he grinned. "Actually, you know, I read somewhere--on a magazine or something--that lettin\' out your temper like that doesn\'t really help. It makes you sort of look for an excuse to let your anger out. Y\'know. Subconsciously."

He shrugged. "I say it\'s all part of the human experience." Never mind that Lefty was really only pretending to be human. Perhaps that gave him a unique perspective on the human experience. "So if it will, and I mean really will..." And for a moment his expression flickered with that seriousness again, "...then you can punch as many things as you want, Boss."

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2011, 10:48:38 AM »
That look Lefty was fixing on her startled her more than anything else. Shit, she must\'ve looked bad, to warrant the intensity written all over his face. The semi-witty remark she\'d been preparing to make died in her throat, and she looked at the ground.

Hitting things wouldn\'t make it better. Not this time.

"Man, I dunno. It was. Fuckin\' weird." She grimaced. "I don\'t even, like, know what to say about it. I got played like a fuckin\' chump. I trusted this guy, and he just–" She huffed. shook her head. Put her elbow on her knee and ran her hand through her hair.

"It just. It hurts. And I don\'t know how to fix it." Her voice was hoarse, suddenly. Like she hadn\'t used it in too long. Snorting, she shook her head again, and fiddled with her cigarettes.

Finally taking one out and putting it between her lips, she said, "I\'m sorry. You don\'t need to hear this shit."

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2011, 11:21:09 AM »
"Ami." Lefty nudged her again. "Don\'t apologize to me. I\'m your friend, ain\'t I? Hell, if you\'re feeling rotten, I want to hear about it. Else how\'m I going to make you feel better?" It was absolutely lame and not at all a smooth way to comfort her, but Lefty decided that he could sacrifice his social grace if it meant just being honest in return. "I mean, this is what friends do for each other, right? Help each other out when they\'re down? So don\'t. Apologize" He emphasized each period with a friendly nudge.

He paused for a moment, mustering ll of his mental energy. "As for making it go away... I don\'t think it works like that. But a hug might help." He slid one arm up around her shoulders and did just that, hugging her to his side. He was aware that he was sounding more and more like an after-school special with each word, but he didn\'t care.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 11:31:49 AM »
Just as she was beginning to think Lefty\'s motive was to jostle her back to happiness, he wrapped in arm around her in the most awkward hug ever.

But she appreciated it, smiling slightly as she looked over at him from shoulder-distance apart. "You\'re a good guy, Lefty," she said, after a moment\'s contemplation of that angular face. That was why she\'d come her instead of going back home. Morgaine would\'ve told her to drink, Joe would\'ve prescribed meditation, Chance would\'ve...well, he like to hit things too, and Vivianne was about as good at feelings as a retarded leopard gecko.

She shifted slightly, to lean back, placing one arm behind her in a squeak of leather-on-leather – her vest against his jacket. Which he never seemed to take off. She left his arm where it was, though, because it was comforting. Looking off into the middle distance, cigarette dangling unlit from her scarlet lips, she went on.

"Fuck that not-going-away shit, though. Ain\'t got the fuckin\' patience."

Offline Cy for Cypher

• Founder
  • Dearly Missed
  • Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 11:56:46 AM »
The nightmare\'s face broke into an instant grin at her comment. He didn\'t respond to it, relying instead on his expression to convey his thanks for such kind words. He shifted to help her get more comfortable. If he was nervous at their closeness, he didn\'t show it. Maybe the seriousness of the situation helped keep his anxiety at bay. This was good, because the last thing Ami needed right now was for her friend to lose his cool and change on her.

"Like I said, I don\'t think it works that way. As in, you don\'t really have a choice." Hmm. Wait. That wasn\'t comforting. He inhaled deeply, narrowing his eyes slightly as he concentrated. Nothing came to mind. Then he relaxed a bit, and as soon as he stopped trying to damn hard, the words came naturally and easily. "You gotta stare it down before you do anything else, though. I guess that\'s easy for me to say. It ain\'t happening to me. But you gotta..." He narrowed his eyes in concentration. "I dunno. You gotta say, \'Well, this has happened to me. But it ain\'t me.\' That guy? Don\'t let whatever he did change you. Not for the worse. Start with that. Decide right now that you ain\'t gonna let someone else have enough power over you to make you bitter. Mad? Hell, yes. Mad forever? No."