Author Topic: Southern Congeniality  (Read 15224 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Congeniality
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »
Samuel felt that he was doing Gene a service by listening, but he was strangely relieved by hearing the story as well.  It was a lot like his life (except replace the violent, disapproving father with a negligent, disapproving one) and he understood.  Perhaps that was why this process was so cathartic.

"Never mind, I\'ll get it for you," Samuel breathed a laugh and he was gone and back before Gene even registered an objection.  He\'d asked the tender to fill the glass this time, because he\'d noticed how forlornly Gene had looked at it when he\'d finished the last lot and the cost was negligent to him.

When he set it down before his mortal companion and slid back into his stool, he smiled and set both elbows on the table, except he supported his jaw on his right hand.  His head was slightly tilted, causing hair to fall in his eyes once more and him to sweep it out even as he spoke.

"Your elixir, sir.  Please, continue your tale."  His eyes were kind and encouraging.

Their discussion about Gene\'s family didn\'t have much farther to travel - Sam learned that he\'d had no siblings and realised just how significant the sacrifice the guy\'s mother had made was - and then, somehow, it became Samuel\'s turn.

If anybody had walked by, it might almost have sounded like a discussion on history, with Sam discussing the political rounds his father embarked on, the carriage rides he\'d had, the slaves he\'d loved.  He set the scene historically first, then focussed on his own inferiority complex when comparing himself to his golden older brother, the man who could do no wrong, who could win votes for his father just by smiling, and seduce virtuous ingenues with just one kiss.

God, he\'d been sickening.  Growing up in their home had been competitive from birth, it had seemed, and Samuel had always failed.  Never good looking enough, never eloquent enough, never outgoing enough, his father ridiculed him as his only form of motivation and his mother criticised, telling him that if he just tried harder, he\'d do better at things.  Failure had become his vice and his defense by the time he was ten and when they eventually just accepted that he would always be inept, things were marginally less stressful.

His discussion diverged from personal stories to describing the types of people he\'d spied on as he got older after that - for it felt as if they\'d flogged the \'family\' horse to death and back - and Gene was able to join in once more, contributing heartily to their combined Tales of the Hypocritical South.  Speaking of clergymen who preached to their congregation of faith and abstinence on Sunday and then snuck into whorehouses Monday, housewives that presented the perfect home to their friends but took sly sips of sherry when they thought no-one was looking, married men with children who grew more than a little flustered when the farmboys came in from a long day\'s work, shirtless and sweating and suddenly met in barns after a few meaningful looks... all of it seemed hilarious to the pair, suddenly, yet only one of them was drunk.

When the proprietor began to look at them a little funny (after one particularly funny story had cause an outburst of laughter), Sam realised that time had swallowed them whole and that it might well be time to cash their chips in while they were ahead.  So to speak.

"Hey," he said to Gene, his voice husky as he leaned in and down towards his companion, hoping the mortal would put his face nice and close to his so he wouldn\'t have to speak too loudly, "I think we might be outstaying our welcome here a little.  You want to go somewhere else?"  As he spoke, his gaze was suddenly focussed most intently on Gene\'s mouth, yet he was pretty sure he\'d got most of that out of his system, after connecting on a much deeper level with the guy.

Sadly not, though, for as he rested his chin on his folded forearms in order to gaze up at the mortal from glinting blue eyes, he was thinking the most ungentlemanly thoughts he\'d contemplated in a long while.

Saccharin

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 07:28:24 PM »
"Sounds good to me," he responded immediately. The alcohol in his system had temporarily rewired his brain so he didn\'t think about anything other than the way to extend their conversation and in turn, their fun. The best solution was to take their show on the road.

He pulled himself to his feet and stood there swaying until he reached out to steady himself with the back of the chair he\'d been sitting in. It wa
s then he finally got a good look at the window he\'d been turned away from for a majority of the night. Orias had probably been been awake for hours now, and worried where he was since he hadn\'t called to let him know he would be running late.

"Except, I should probably be headin\' home." He laughed and pushed at Sam\'s shoulder with his hand. "You wouldn\'t know that, though, wouldja?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »
Samuel chuckled, enjoying the comraderie of the shove as he moved to stand on the cast-less side of the unsteady mortal, placing a hand at the small of his back to help him stay in place better.  There was no way he was going to let Gene drive home - and, upon questioning the mortal, he found that he did have his truck parked nearby ready to do just that.

"You can\'t drive in your condition," Samuel argued with a frown, liking the excessive warmth that seemed to be rolling off his rolling-drunk friend - so much so that his front was pressed, in places, to Gene\'s side as they stood there, boot to boot.  When the mortal opened his mouth (Samuel anticipated that it was to object to being told he couldn\'t drive), he pressed a cool finger from his free hand to Gene\'s lips, quieting him momentarily.

"No.  Really.  You can\'t drive drunk, you\'ll get yourself killed."  His chastising paused momentarily as he caught sight of his finger on Gene\'s mouth, feeling the warmth of the contact travel through him like a breeze pressing heat outward in a wave from a fire.  It made him tingle with an awareness that he knew he shouldn\'t be having and he lifted his gaze slowly to meet Gene\'s as he said something he also shouldn\'t have.

"I\'ll give you two choices: one, I drive you home.  In your truck so it\'s right there when you need it tomorrow.  Or two... you take a drop of my blood so it\'ll sober you up enough for you to do it yourself.  Which do you want?"  There was a stillness in him, an anticipation that made him thrum as he waited for an answer, looking into melt-worthy hazel eyes, practically wrapped around the mortal as much as he could be while clothed.

Saccharin

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »
His condition. Like he was pregnant! He\'d just had a few drinks, that was all. He\'d be fine to drive. Just as Samuel had predicted, he\'d been ready to protest, but then he\'d been effectively shushed by one pale digit and forced to listen to what the vampire had to say first. It was sweet, really, that Sam was looking out for him, but incredibly frustrating when he knew damned well and good he\'d driven home drunker than he was before. Granted, it\'d been in the middle of the country with only deer and trees to collide with if he misjudged a curve, and not a busy city. Maybe Sam had a point.

"I like living," he conceded after pushing Sam\'s hand away so he could talk. He leaned heavily into the vampire so he could shift his weight onto one foot and pull from his front left pocket the keys to his truck, then held them dangling between them. "Okay. So. My keys. They\'re to my truck." He frowned up at Sam. "But first you tell me why you keep bringing up this blood thing."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 08:12:24 PM »
Samuel, feeling a little intoxicated himself just because he was standing so close to Gene and somewhat getting his way, felt very devilish all of a sudden.  He grinned at the mortal, his tone lighthearted as he made a play he didn\'t expect would work but which he couldn\'t resist.

"Because I think it\'ll be a nice way to get closer to you and I can make it so you don\'t even notice what you\'re tasting," he murmured intimately and promptly bit the edge of his tongue, parting his lips just enough to roll the bleeding muscle against the inside of his mouth and show Gene what he meant.  A bloody kiss was better than sucking his thumb, surely?  He closed his mouth and smiled cheekily.

Saccharin

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 08:25:17 PM »
"That\'s not fair," he said, huffily. "Even though you\'re..." He rocked back onto the heels of his boots, shaking his head, and felt Samuel\'s arm shift to keep him steady. "...You\'re really good lookin\' and I like you, I\'m not like those assholes we were talkin\' about. I wouldn\'t do that to him."

His keys still remained between them and he shook the chain gently. "You can drive a truck, right?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 08:48:21 PM »
Samuel pouted briefly, nodding as he conceded Gene\'s point; he would fit in well with the hypocritical southerners if he pushed this - and damned if he would allow himself into that category after he and Gene had spent two hours disparaging them!

He took the keys and dropped the mortal a wink.  "Honey, I\'ve driven them all," he joked, turning his inebriated friend and manoeuvring him so that they could walk via the table and scoop up his unused cue and unpacked balls and return them to the counter as they made their way out of the pool hall.  Once on the street though, he had to let Gene take the lead.

"I hope you remember where you parked your truck... and how to get home," he joked, keeping his arm about Gene\'s waist as they walked, just in case he stumbled.

Saccharin

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2011, 08:55:49 AM »
"Yeah, sure," he responded, pointing vaguely toward all the parked vehicles  and then past them to the street, his arm shifting around like a weather vane. "It\'s over yonder somewhere."

His smile was big and sloppy, and he leaned heavily against Sam as they walked toward the only truck in the lot.

(Continued in Southern Comfort)