Author Topic: ALTERNATE: Ley Lines  (Read 17233 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: ALTERNATE: Ley Lines
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
His jaw clenched and he glared down at the object she was poking him with, resisting the urge to snatch it and snap it.  She didn\'t seem nearly as loony tonight, but maybe it was just the lack of wood between her legs.

"I\'m lost," he said abruptly, settling for holding his hand before his stomach like a shield, preferring she prod that, if she felt she was going to accomplish something with the action.  His gaze ran the length of her, finding her quite tall but twice as annoying as she was high, and he noticed she was wearing the same clothes she\'d gone tree-humping in.  Did she not have any other clothes?

He refrained from mentioning it on the grounds that he needed information from her and couldn\'t afford to antagonise her holy proddingness.  "I was hoping you could point me towards the road?  I can\'t find where I parked my bike."  Butter wouldn\'t have melted in his mouth, he asked so sweetly, even adding a smile that flashed his dimples for the charm effect.

Saccharin

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
She watched him intently, looking for any signs of deception. Finding none (though the sugary smile almost made her reconsider), she lowered the brush and thought for a moment.

Anna typically traveled through the forest, using old deer trails and dried up creek beds, along with the usual array of boulders, gnarled trees and other landmarks to judge where she was in relation to the cabin. By road, he probably meant the one cars traveled on, but that was several miles out, and it might not even be the part of the road he was looking for. Then, if he was going to follow the road to wherever he needed to go - rather than cutting straight to it - he would have the sun to contend with.

"You are far from the road," she said, waving in its general direction with her free hand. "Do you live in the city? Maybe you should run home instead."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2011, 06:21:47 PM »
He frowned as he watched her arm flick one way, seeing nothing but trees in that direction - not the driveway he\'d hoped for.  Come to think of it, there hadn\'t been a garage or another building, either.  Her mentioning him running home had it echoing in his blood again just how close the sunrise was getting, but once again he squashed it down.

If he was panicking, he wouldn\'t be able to act, and if he couldn\'t act he\'d fucking die and there was no way he was going out like that after all this time.  His tongue snaked out to wet his lips as he turned his frown back to her, inadvertently showing that he was concerned but doing his best to keep it together.

"I live in the suburbs.  Northeast of the city.  How far away is it?  Have you run it?  How long\'d it take?" he queried, his jutting out as he referenced her, thinking that his speed would likely match her own because she didn\'t smell too much older or younger, as far as he could tell.  She could give him a rough guide.

Saccharin

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2011, 06:44:23 PM »
She shook her head. "I\'ve only been to the place you saw me," she admitted, taking a step to the side so she could lean her shoulder into the door frame, her bare foot kicked back to keep the door from swinging shut on her. "Even if I could tell you how long it takes, how will I tell you how to get there when I have never been? You will get lost again." Anna didn\'t have the graciousness to phrase it as a possibility. She knew he would get lost. It\'s why he was there, wasn\'t it?

Her lips twisted as she tried to think of other options, and she sighed as she realized that perhaps the most distasteful of them all was the only real solution. "You could stay," she said, crossing her arms over her chest. "I can help you find your bike after the sun has gone down."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2011, 06:53:15 PM »
He opened his mouth to argue, to tell her that he wasn\'t useless, he could find what he was looking for, damnit... but his lips fell closed and pressed together instead.  He had no argument in this case, she was right.  He was here because he\'d got his ass lost and she didn\'t go into the city enough to tell him where to go.

There was no fucking point arguing, if he wanted to live, he\'d have to spend the day in this cabin with her.

"Thank you," he told her begrudgingly, noting the crossed arms and figuring she was no happier about the situation than he was.  That offended him, really; what the fuck had he done to her?  She was the one who\'d poked him with a brush and stayed up a tree so he couldn\'t know she was kindred and therefore able to hear the insults he was muttering to himself.  It wasn\'t his fault she was a deceptive bitch!

"What was your name again?"  He spoke like a child subdued by an irate parent, reluctantly being civil because the situation forced it upon him, not because he was genuinely feeling it.

Saccharin

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2011, 07:24:15 PM »
"Ahinawake, but you can call me Anna if it is easier." She pushed herself off the door and took several steps into the cabin so the man could get by her.

He ducked through the door and suddenly the already small room seemed even smaller. He was a very large man, and she wasn\'t exactly a petite waif herself, so she retreated to her bed to sit cross-legged upon it once again.

Still watching him, she pulled her hair over her shoulder and started running the brush through the strands made wavy by the braid she\'d had it in.

Across from the bed on the farthest side of the cabin was a fireplace. The space in between had only a few pieces of furniture: two chairs and a table, a wash basin (with a bar of soap on its edge), and the nightstand next to her bed. The wooden walls were bare save for one framed picture of a mountainous landscape. Her boots were tucked under her bed, socks stuffed inside, and on the table was a freshly woven basket, pieces of what looked like dried reed scattered around it. Hung on one of the chairs was a leather satchel, worn buttery soft with age.

Other than those few things, the cabin was empty. She had no other belongings.

"What\'s your name?" she asked, pausing in the rhythmic motions of brushing her hair to rest her forearms lightly on her thighs, her hands dangling in the space above her crossed ankles.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2011, 07:32:38 PM »
"Anna," he repeated quietly, looking around the cabin and likening it to a coffin.  He liked coffins, but ones where he could stand up were preferable and the ceiling of this place was a little too low for his liking - not that he couldn\'t stand upright, it was just that when he did, his waxed-up hair brushed the ceiling and made a very aggravating soft, sweeping noise.

He strode over to the table as her question registered and he smirked, beginning to remove his equipment from his belt and place it on the table, waiting til the jingles had stopped before he answered.  "You can call me Indie... Anna," he grinned cockily, finding the combination of their names into basically what his name was, amusing.  "Weren\'t we just meant to come together?"

Saccharin

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »
She wrinkled her nose, her upper lip snarling up slightly. The only other Indiana she knew of was yet another state that\'d been carved out of "Indian Territory". It\'d probably been named by some half-witted white man who thought it hugely amusing to make a joke at the expense of the people they\'d pushed off their own lands. She would call him Indie, because that was the portion of his name that did not have hers in it, nor would it remind her of yet another group of people that had met the same fate as hers.

"You lost your bike and lost your way because you do not know the forest," she pointed out, not thinking it had anything to do with destiny and everything to do with a babe being set free to wander about in lands he wasn\'t familiar with. "Why were you here, anyway?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2011, 08:25:18 PM »
"Actually, it\'s just a name made up by a guy I knew once.  I don\'t give a shit what you call me," he announced conversationally, seeing that she was getting a little stroppy about the name he\'d been granted.  He toed his boots off and then strode over to the bed she was sitting on, presumptuously laying himself down with one hand behind his head and the other on his stomach.

"I was looking for this cliff I climbed once... couldn\'t seem to find it again tonight, though."  he frowned thoughtfully at the ceiling, trying to figure out where he\'d gone wrong in that.

Saccharin

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2011, 08:39:22 PM »
She scooted away from him so her legs weren\'t pressed into him, but he took up most the space the bed had to offer, leaving her scrunched up in the corner with the wall biting uncomfortably into her back. Then she remembered it was her bed he\'d just invaded and she smacked at his shoulder with her brush.

"I didn\'t say you could come up here," she reminded him, and then pointed to the table and chairs just across the way. "You can sit there." She pointed to the floor. "And you will sleep there."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
He raised his eyebrows at her.  Very deliberately, he then lifted his head and peered beyond his feet - which were now comfortably crossed at the ankle - at the table and chairs she indicated, before his head dropped back down and he stared up at her.

"No.  I will not," he laughed.  "I\'m your guest, not your dog, and we can share the bed.  I\'ll keep my hands to myself, if you like," he suggested, his gaze travelling down her body to contemplate her breasts as a serious proposition that he was foregoing.

Saccharin

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
"You are my guest," she agreed. "But you do not make the rules." Anna punctuated her declaration by pushing his side with her hands, her brush falling to the wayside. When she couldn\'t budge him, she pressed her back into the wall and then shoved at him with her feet, hoping to dislodge him from the bed and send him tumbling to the place he would be sleeping if he wished to remain in her cabin.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
"Why can\'t I sleep here?  I won\'t bite you," he argued, making a swift grab for her feet and attempting to yank them downward, so that she slid along the covers and ended up on her back.  If his manoeuvre was successful, she would also find herself staring up at him looming over her, hands either side of her head.

Saccharin

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2011, 09:24:54 PM »
Before she could give her feet a good shaking to dislodge his hands, she was being dragged down onto the mattress. She tried to grab hold of something, anything to keep herself upright, but all she managed to do was to make a mess of the comforter and sheets beneath it. She stared up at him, her eyes wide and her mouth ajar. For a moment she remained still, shocked by her sudden predicament, but it didn\'t take her long to set into motion again.

"It\'s my bed!" she exclaimed, and with no small amount of effort, she got her arms up and pressed her flattened hands into his chest, trying to lever him up and off her. "Why would you bite me anyway? That\'s stupid."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »
"It\'s a saying, where have you been for the last century?" he told her scornfully, doing his best to pin her legs down with his (he was afraid of what sort of damage she\'d be able to do with her knees if he left her free), managing to resist her pushing... just.  He was getting a feel for how strong she actually was, and realising that they were pretty evenly matched.