Author Topic: Low Stakes  (Read 13467 times)

Saccharin

Re: Low Stakes
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
While Dominic talked, Gene sipped on his beer and nodded occasionally to show he was still listening. The expectant way Dom eyed him after he wrapped up his story made him exhale noisily and wish Dominic hadn\'t spilled his guts to him, because that meant the polite thing was to do the same.

"I wasn\'t here for all that," he said, waving his hand to indicate the Apocalypse that had been referred to and not sounding like he was sorry that he hadn\'t been in the city when it\'d all gone down.

"But yeah. I get it. I won\'t judge you, don\'t worry." A ghost of a smile skirted across his lips and he shook his head, choosing that moment to break eye contact with Dominic. "I just ended it with one. I wonder sometimes if maybe I stuck around as long as I did because of the... like you said, the bite." He pushed at his empty beer bottle with his knuckles, scooting it along the surface of the table they shared and shrugged. "Hell, what he could do... Made it really difficult to focus on what was wrong with the whole thing."

He felt a sharp pang of guilt for making it out like he hadn\'t really cared for Orias underneath it all, but he wasn\'t about to go into all the other shit that\'d finally made him call it quits. What he\'d put up with... It said a lot about him, and he wasn\'t ready to deal with Dominic\'s potential response to all his weaknesses, despite how willing his boss seemed to share his own.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 09:39:56 PM »
As focussed as he\'d been on baring the depths of his low-down soul and willing Gene to show some sort of sympathy, just one word blew all that out of the water, causing Dom\'s eyebrows to lift and his expression to become nonplussed.

"He?" he repeated curiously, unsure that that was the word Gene had actually said.  He normally had no reason to doubt his own perfect hearing but... it seemed a little too convenient.  Like he was imposing his own values or beliefs on what his companion had said, instead of what had really been uttered.

Saccharin

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 10:15:17 AM »
Although he hadn\'t really experienced it since moving into the city, his stomach sank and he felt color rising to his cheeks when he realized he\'d made a potentially grievous error in mentioning Orias\' gender. But he wasn\'t in the South anymore, and Dom hadn\'t sounded disgusted... just intrigued.

He cleared his throat and slapped a smile on, though he felt like it would slide off his face the first moment he stopped thinking about keeping it pinned there.

"Yeah. He." His smile gained some strength and he breathed a small laugh. "I didn\'t come all the way out here just \'cause I wanted to see what all the noise about big buildings was," he joked, trying to make light of the situation and feeling pretty good about his efforts as he watched Dominic for his reaction.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 05:35:36 PM »
Dom\'d had enough beer that his mind was firing and his body was zinging; hearing Gene confirm he was gay didn\'t leave him thinking for too long at all. Swiftly, he was filled with relief and he burst out laughing, loudly and appreciatively.  It drew a few stares from around them but he didn\'t mind, his eyes twinkling merrily at his employee and newfound buddy.

He was so pleased by this turn of events - no need sneaking about after all, with this not-so-down-home-after-all country boy living nearby - that he tipped his beer down his throat and finished it in a few rapid swallows.  As he smacked the empty bottle back down on the table, he grinned broadly at Gene.

"Man, you and I have more in common than I thought - I have shit gaydar!" he laughed.

Saccharin

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 08:03:14 PM »
Gene wasn\'t convinced such a thing existed, but if it did, his was fucking broken. There had been more times than he was willing to admit that he\'d gone after what ended up being a straight man. No matter how tactfully they rejected him, he\'d always experienced a healthy dose of embarrassment and sworn never to do it again until he was sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that he had a chance. Thing was, he couldn\'t say waiting \'til he was entirely sure had worked out for him either, because he was pretty certain he\'d missed out on some opportunities because he\'d been waiting for just one... more... sign.

"Yeah, well. Can\'t say much for mine either," he said laughingly. "If I even have one. Might be I was hiding out in the closet when they were handing \'em out."

His hazel eyes fell on Dom\'s bottle and determining it empty, he stood, announced that it was time for another round and that he was buying. If the much larger man made any objections, he waved them off and continued to the bar,  a thumb hooked in a belt loop and a slight smile pulling one side of his mouth upward.

When he returned with their drinks (this one would be his last, because he wouldn\'t be able to sober up enough to drive them home otherwise), he was still smiling. "So ah," he said after taking a sip of his drink and wiping at his mouth with the back of his wrist, "you ever hear of a place called Risk?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2011, 01:08:27 AM »
The image of Gene hiding in a closet really tickled Dom\'s fancy and his laughter continued even after his companion had walked away to get them more beer (it didn\'t even occur to him to object, he planned on many more of the things tonight!).  His chuckles had dropped down to a smile that reflected Gene\'s by the time the blonde returned, his pale eyes glassy with mirth.

He admitted to himself, in that moment, that his employee really did have a nice smile on him and that even though there was some attraction there, it wouldn\'t pay to act on it.  Gene\'s final question distracted him instantly from contemplating that, however, and he cringed, sucked in breath and delayed answering in order to take a swallow from his beer.  When that was done, there was no choice but to answer, his expression almost sheepish.

"Of course I\'ve heard of it - though, for the uh, reasons I told you about earlier, I\'ve been trying to avoid it, if you catch my drift?  My last visit there... ended pretty horribly," he told Gene meaningfully.  A frown appeared to furrow his brows as a new thought occurred to him.  "You don\'t... think we should go there now do you?" he asked, a sliver of worry seeping into his voice.

Saccharin

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2011, 01:35:40 PM »
Gene leaned forward when Dominic started responding, not wanting a single word he might utter about Risk to go unheard. He knew of Risk because it\'d been where Orias would wander off to when he needed to feed and Gene hadn\'t been up to it, but he\'d never had any real interest in going there - not even when he\'d been asked to tag along. He\'d never really come around to the idea of letting some other vampire suck on his neck in an inarguably intimate fashion while his then boyfriend watched. Maybe Orias would\'ve gotten something out of it, but he knew himself well enough to realize a scenario like that would\'ve put him well outside his comfort zone.

Now, though, for whatever reason (he strongly suspected his return to singledom), he was itching to find out more about the club. What was it like? What were you supposed to wear? Would the vampires be polite and respectful even if you didn\'t have one of those Risk tattoos? Mainly, would they accept no as no and not twist it into maybe or yes? He\'d hoped he could go into all that with Dominic, but given how apprehensive the other man seemed that he might want to leave right then and there for the club, he wasn\'t so sure he could.

"No, no. I don\'t wanna go right now. I was mainly curious because I\'ve never been." He shrugged. "I mean, if you wanted, I would. I think. Maybe? Hell, I don\'t know. If you had a bad time of it, might not be worth the trouble."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2011, 07:07:14 PM »
Silently, Dominic was dismayed by the disappointment that welled in him when Gene said they wouldn\'t go, especially since it was fairly swiftly followed by a rising sense of hope when \'maybe\' was uttered.  He was pathetic.  Saying one thing and feeling another was tantamount to lying and really not his style... except when it came to vampires, of course.  He\'d done it all when it came to being with them; lying, cheating, double-crossing, slandering, everything short of breaking laws (and that wasn\'t guaranteed, since there\'d been occasional drugs and the shenanigans that resulted from them when he was younger).  It was pretty sad that he was still surprising himself with how weak he really was.

"Nah, man, it\'s not that," he assured Gene hastily, settling a little closer so that he could expand on his story - although the noise level in the room had grown steadily stronger as the young and funky crowd got off work and decided to stop in before they left the city or moved elsewhere to party that night.  His right elbow was on the table, his beer grasped loosely between the first two fingers of his right hand and his middle finger used for leverage when he wanted to drink.  Alternatively, his left arm was on the table, mostly parallel with his broad chest and his left hand was dangling off the edge towards his lap.  He was casually positioned but his gaze was intense as it held Gene\'s, not noticing the crowd forming in the vast room or the gazes landing longingly on their unused pool table.

"I always had a good time at Risk.  It\'s a great bar - though you don\'t go for the alcohol drinking, a beer\'s like twenty bucks or some shit," he snorted derisively.  "Even though it\'s called Risk, everybody knows what\'s what and you pretty much get what you went for.  The vamps are there shopping as much as us dicks, so you can have quite a bit of fun playing around.  Once you find what you like, it\'s nothin\' to, like, just get drunk from out in the open, in one of the booths," he told his companion enthusiastically, swinging his beer as if indicating imaginary seats in a bar, giving a considering shrug.

"If not, there\'s these private areas where, believe me," he laughed, his grin turning sexy and filled with entendre, "anything goes on.  It\'s pretty much a fantasy playground, where you can hook up on the spot, get your kicks, go home happy," he summarised brightly.  Of course, he hadn\'t set foot in the place since he\'d met up with Lazarus again over two years ago, so he had no idea how it had been refurbished.  The more he talked about it, though, the more he liked the sound of ending their night there; he had a wingman, the night was young and he was getting quite chirpy enough on the beer to believe everything would be fine and easy should they go to Risk.  No hassles, no problems, a drink, a fuck and they could roll home happy.

"Or, in my case, you end up in some funky-accented guy\'s art studio, fucking the vamp that took your virginity while the accent vamp makes a statue of the two of you then joins in, while your boyfriend\'s at home waiting for you, completely ignorant to what you\'re doing - yeah, I was that guy," he sighed, cringeing at his own poor behaviour.  "And you just end up wishing you\'d never been tempted to head back into Risk in the first place," he admitted, the beer loosening his tongue quite a bit.

Before Gene could put together Dom\'s hazy description of Orias and perhaps comment on what he\'d said, a man walked up beside them and paused by their table, saying, "Gene," in a friendly enough way.  Dom frowned as he turned to look the guy over, feeling a little put out at being interrupted and not particularly loving the happy-discovery type of way Gene\'s name had been spoken, but anything he might have said died on his tongue when he got a look at the guy.  He recognised a vampire when he saw one.  Wordlessly, he looked the guy over, then turned back to Gene to gauge his reaction.

Standing there in his usual getup of jeans, black boots and a black button-up shirt made of a thick, heavy material, Sam was also watching the mortal for his reaction, a hopeful half-smile on his handsome face.  His head was tilted slightly, his hair having been scooped to one side as he spied the blonde and walked up to him.  He\'d returned to the bar numerous times since meeting Gene here, always hopeful he\'d catch him again but not really expecting it - he almost didn\'t believe his eyes when he\'d walked in a minute ago, surveyed the place and spotted him.

Feeling tingly with surprise and anticipation, he\'d tucked the fingertips of his right hand into his front pocket and squeezed his way through the crowd to Gene\'s table.  He\'d glanced at the other mortal with him when he\'d got there, but dismissed him when he realised he didn\'t know him.  It didn\'t matter, though.  He\'d finally found the one he\'d been looking for after all these weeks.

Saccharin

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »
While Dominic discussed vampires with accents and art studios, Gene found himself picturing a stereotypical French sort, with a striped black and white shirt and beret. It\'d been so long ago that he\'d spied the sculpture of a mortal and vampire embraced in Orias\' studio that\'d spurred talk of supernatural creatures that his mind didn\'t make the leap between Dominic and his ex. Even if he\'d been on the verge of making that connection, it would\'ve fled from his mind given the arrival of Samuel.

He blinked up at the gorgeous man, a surprised smile grabbing and pulling his lips upward. "Sam," he acknowledged, bobbing his head in greeting. He too had half-hoped he\'d see the vampire there again, but the reality of it wasn\'t playing out at all like he\'d imagined it in his head. First of all, his boss was there, and secondly, his words were sticking in his throat, making it difficult to speak. He cleared his throat and laughed, sounding sheepish even to his own ears. "I uh... Hey." He looked at Dominic and back to Sam, gesturing at his companion once he\'d made eye contact with Samuel again. "This is my boss, Dominic. He\'s got me landscaping these days."

Last Samuel had known, he was unemployed and living off the graciousness of his then boyfriend Orias. This would be news to him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2011, 11:57:17 PM »
"Oh!  Hey there, Dominic, I\'m Sam," the vampire greeted.

"Hey.  Dom\'s fine," the muscular mortal grinned and they shooked hands in a conciliatory manner.

Once the formalities were done with, Sam glanced around and turned a frown towards Gene, his fists pushed into his jeans pockets coyly.  "Where\'s Orias?"

Before Gene had a chance to answer, however, Dominic just about choked on his beer, trying to get it out of his mouth fast enough to exclaim, "Orias!  That was his name!"

Sam turned his frown towards the mortal now, growing confused.  "Of Gene\'s boyfriend?" he enquired slowly.

Dom paled visibly, suddenly realising that the guy Gene had been talking about getting away from had been one he\'d fucked a few years ago.  "Orias was your boyfriend?" he asked meekly, unsure how he felt about that - it wasn\'t anybody\'s fault, of course, and Orias certainly hadn\'t been Dom\'s focus during that little encounter, but it was kind of weird that they\'d shared the same vampire.

"Wait... was?" Sam echoed, also turning his gaze on Gene, wondering if he\'d heard correctly.  Dom had certainly used the past tense and Orias was nowhere around... did he dare hope?  Both of them stared expectantly at Gene, waiting for responses to two very different queries.

Saccharin

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 07:45:39 PM »
While they stared at him expectantly, he considered ducking under the table and hiding there until he was forgotten, but with how unlikely that was, he quickly dismissed the thought. He\'d have to behave as if he was going on thirty, not going on five. He\'d have to answer their questions. Fuck, but how he wished he didn\'t have to answer their questions.

Gene sighed and looked at Dom first. "Yes," he said. Then he turned to Sam. "And yes."

He wasn\'t sure to deal with the knowledge that Orias had been one to host threesomes at his house, because when it came down to it, he hadn\'t been with the Hungarian then, and he wasn\'t with him now. Plus, nothing like that had gone on in the two years he\'d lived with Orias, so what did it matter?

But there was a lingering feeling that it did matter in some way and he looked down at the table, wishing he could maintain eye contact with either of them, but unable to force himself into it.

"So now that\'s cleared up," he muttered, "How about we find something else to talk about? You been up to anything interesting, Sam?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 09:50:02 PM »
Feeling slightly awkward, Dom returned to drinking his beer, wondering if their night was going to get muscled in on.  The vampire was cute but Dom was deliberately not looking at him too hard, knowing how things would go if he started being interested.  He wondered about Gene, though; was he interested in Sam or was it just a friendly relationship?  There were an awful lot of smiles going on for it to be completely platonic, he thought.

"The usual," Sam drawled with a shrug, glancing at Dominic and not wanting to say too much about his job in front of the man.  Frankly, Sam wished he wasn\'t there but he also understood that he was the interloper here.  Etiquette dictated that he should have some conversation and then bow out gracefully - but there was no way he would do that without securing a means to access Gene this time.

"But hey, I\'m intruding," the southern vampire said smoothly and pulled his phone from a pocket as he stepped a little closer to the handsome blonde mortal.  "I should really leave you two to your night but I\'d love your number or your address, Gene, so we could hang out some other time?" he said pointedly, peripherally watching his thumb get his phone ready for entering a new contact\'s details while he mainly looked into large, hauntingly-lovely eyes.

Sure, he was sleeping with his own boss every chance he could get, but he wanted something a little more rewarding than some sneaking-around sex.  He hadn\'t had a relationship with a mortal before and although he thought it likely to be complicated, he felt Gene would be worth the effort.  Just looking at him made him feel squishy inside, surely that sensation would only get better if he saw more of Gene?