Author Topic: Frazzled  (Read 34057 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Frazzled
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2012, 07:24:27 AM »
"Yes, he got them."

The thing that had been avoiding the light rose up to the surface, now that he was actively thinking about it.

Maybe Murphy had written about the Mimics instead of the ghost, and perhaps the Mimics would be annoyed with any information that might've been printed in the article.  They were a very private species, and he hadn't considered that they might not want the city knowing that they replicated like single cell organisms.  It might be embarrassing to them.  It explained why Bralik hadn't looked at him or acknowledged him.  Mind, he'd only had eyes for Kerr, to tell him whatever had been so important they had to call an emergency meeting over.  Ben figured, after the issue was dealt with, maybe Murphy would be pulled in front of the Oligarchy for questioning.  Oh crap.  There were a lot of 'maybes' in his hypothetical, and he hadn't been in touch with Murphy over the past couple of nights, so he had to find out whether he'd written anything at all.

Thinking about Murphy coming over settled his growing anxiety once more as his thoughts ran away with him.  He had to stop thinking about things that he didn't know if they'd happened or not.  He certainly had to stop worrying over 'maybes', anyway.

"I wonder how long Kerr's going to be?" he asked, wondering if their sire would be back in time to answer questions.  "Well before sun-up, I hope," he added.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2012, 07:32:37 AM »
“Hopefully he’ll put it to good use,” Ichabod murmured, oblivious to Ben’s mind wandering in all sorts of directions regarding the journalist and his writing. He gave a small shrug at Ben asking how long Kerr might be, shaking his head slightly.

“Yeah, it might just take a couple of hours, he could turn up any second. Maybe he’ll call when they’re done,” he said, reaching out to pick up a stray fleck of glass his brush wouldn’t catch and dropping it carefully into the dustpan.

“He’d call if he had to stay too long, right? And let us know what’s going on and that he’s okay?” Ichabod added, glancing across at his brother.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2012, 07:59:10 AM »
"He might be thinking about other things, if the meeting runs really long," Ben offered.  He didn't like not knowing.  There was a knot in his stomach that had been there since St Anna in Austria, and hadn't properly gone away.

The towel was soaked, and wouldn't be picking up any more water.  He picked it up and folded it so the dampness was mostly on the inside.  He made his way back to the bathroom he'd got it from and hung it up over the shower rail.

He went back to wherever Ichabod was, not wanting to be alone.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2012, 05:10:36 PM »
“He thought enough about us to send us here. I’m sure he’ll remember us,” Ichabod said, trying to reassure himself as much as Ben. As the blonde left him Ichabod cast his eyes over the floor one last time to check they had everything then moved to the kitchen to get rid of the remains of the vase.

When Ben returned he would find Ichabod back in the living room, struggling to open the huge doors which opened out onto the sea view. He managed it before Ben could offer help and stood staring out at the waves. He wanted to go down to the beach, sure that the pounding waves would drown out some of the thoughts in his own head, but they needed to be here in case Kerr showed up, or called, or for when Murphy arrived.

“No point unpacking I guess,” he murmured, wondering where they would end up tonight.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2012, 09:43:07 PM »
Ben was surprised that Ichabod would think that they'd be uprooted once again.  He hadn't even thought about that, that the beach house was merely a waypoint to a better hiding place.  How far would they run?  Why were they even running in the first place?  Why hide at all?  How bad was it?  Surely Kerr was just over-reacting, but why send them away from the penthouse, where they were guaded by hordes of demons and vampires and other some such?

He knew that Ichabod's words, as softly spoken as they were, had not been intended for his ears.  But Ben was standing near him, and the wind whipping their hair that threatened to take Ichabod's voice away ended up bringing it directly to his ears.  Ben knew he wasn't supposed to know it had been said, but he couldn't help responding anyway.

"We're not leaving it all behind," Ben said, thinking about all the stuff they'd accumulated during their time together.  His books.  His laptop.  His iPad was in his suitcase but only because it had been handy, from being taken to Austria.  It was mostly useless though.  His laptop was better.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:28 AM »
Ichabod glanced across at Ben, chewing gently on his lower lip. “Maybe we’ll be unpacking at home in a few hours,” he said in a more hopeful tone, but the smile he tried to give didn’t reach his eyes.

He considered going and turning on the TV, just to give them something to stare at until Murphy arrived, but it seemed pointless so he lowered himself to the ground where he was, folding his legs up in front of him and watching the waves. It was peaceful here, the sounds of the waves and the wind were calming and Ichabod shut his eyes, giving minimal responses to anything Ben might have to say.

It wasn’t too much longer before the two young vampires heard a car pull up in the drive and the engine turned off. Ichabod stayed put for a moment before deciding it might be wise to follow Ben to the door, just in case it happened to not be Murphy arriving.

Murphy glanced at the map on his phone once more, checking that he had the right house. He recognised the car in the drive as one of the Oligarchy cars though, and this was definitely right. Murphy slid out of the car, slinging his shoulder bag containing his laptop and a few other bits and bobs over his shoulder. He was sure they’d be safe in the car – it was secluded enough out here – but he felt better having the familiar weight on his shoulder.

He headed for the front door swiftly, a smile breaking out at the thought of seeing Ben and as soon as he saw him he would wrap his arms around the blonde in a tight hug.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 11:12:10 AM »
Ben remained at Ichabod's side, sitting down also and looking out at the waves.  He was hugging his knees and had his chin resting atop them.  Ben had nothing to say and was content simply to sit and watch.  He didn't want to be alone and it was enough that Ichabod wasn't telling him to get lost.

He leapt to his feet when he heard car tyres crunching over the gravel driveway.  There'd been a car passing the house every now and then which had Ben's hopes rising then dashed as they continued on without turning down the drive.  He didn't sprint to the door but wanted to.  Instead he made himself walk - though it was a quick walk.  He knew it wasn't Kerr because he couldn't feel him close by.  It had to be Murphy, and the reporter was certainly good enough to bring a smile to Ben's face.

Ben opened the door at the same time that Murphy arrived at it, not having to knock.  The mortal was almost knocked over from being hugged but Ben kept them both on their feet.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 05:03:05 PM »
Murphy gave a chuckle of relief as Ben enthusiastically met the hug with one of his own and he felt himself starting to stumble but he was secure in Ben’s arms. He buried his face in Ben’s neck for a moment, all his worrying fading – for a few seconds at least.

“Nice to have you back,” Murphy said with a grin, pulling back slightly so he could look at Ben before his smile faded slightly, remembering why he was here. “What’s going on? Have you heard anything?” Murphy asked, not spotting Ichabod who was loitering by the doorway.

Ichabod hesitated for a few seconds, watching the pair reunite before turning and heading back to the living room once he was satisfied it was Murphy and not some unknown threat.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 05:37:45 PM »
"No, but it's not anything good."  Ben turned and hooked his arm around Murphy's middle, leading him into the house.  He gestured for the journalist to leave his things near theirs by the door as he talked, closing the heavy door after them and flicking the lock before leading Murphy further into their sanctuary.  "I called you thinking you would know more, but... I think everything's going to shit.  I think something really big is happening, for Kerr to tell us to come here."

This is off the record, right? he thought but did not send, nor say.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
Murphy let his bag down carefully beside the suitcases without dislodging Ben’s arm from its comfortable position around his waist and let the blonde lead him through the house, frowning as Ben explained how little they knew.

“Well, I haven’t been asked to write anything to cover stuff up, so if it is so bad… maybe they’ve caught it in time to stop it getting worse,” he said as they entered the living room and Murphy’s eyes widened at the sight out of the large glass doors of the sea. He’d known they were by the ocean, but the view was amazing.

“Hi Ichabod,” Murphy said, giving a small wave at the back of the fledgling’s head as he moved a little closer to the doors. Ichabod had returned to his spot watching the waves sat on the floor, but he turned his head slightly to glance up at Murphy.

“Hey, y’alright?” Ichabod asked, but his dark eyes had turned back to the sea before Murphy even had a chance to respond. He didn’t like having the human here – he wanted to trust Ben’s faith in him, but it was a risk. And he knew it was ridiculous but he didn’t like seeing Ben so friendly with him. It just didn’t seem right, how close they were.

“Yeah, good,” Murphy replied, shooting a glance at Ben with a raised eyebrow. Ichabod was usually friendly enough, but Murphy knew they must both be pretty stressed out right now, still, this wasn’t like him.

“Whilst we wait to hear, I had something to tell you,” Murphy said, turning his attention back to Ben, deciding it would be best not to comment on Ichabod’s mood at the moment. “I used that information you sent me, on the Mimic Demons, and it got published, my first freelance work,” Murphy said, unable to help the smile on his face. He knew there might be better times to bring something like that up, but Ben needed distracting and cheering up and Murphy figured this information might work. “I got you a copy, but you can read it… whenever,” he added, not wanting to shove it in Ben’s face when he was distracted and probably wouldn’t want to focus on it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2012, 11:21:26 AM »
"Oh, cool!" Ben replied, and removed his arm from Murphy so that he could directly face him.  "I'd like to read it now, if that's alright.  Is it in your bag?"  If so, they would have to go and get it, but Ben was looking forward to having his mind taken off his worries.

Now that he had Murphy to hang with, he no longer felt the need to hang around Ichabod.  It wasn't a conscious decision, but he certainly felt less awkward and helpless now that he was doing something - even if it was only reading Murphy's work.

Once his friend handed over his work, Ben made his way back to the room Ichabod was in (because it still didn't feel right to leave him alone, only now he didn't feel the need to only be a couple of metres away), and made himself cosy on the sofa.  He was careful to open the magazine correctly instead of folding it back onto itself like he usually did with soft cover publications, because this was something he knew Murphy would want to keep mint.  The piece was soft (because the information Ben had sent was soft), but he thought well written and incredibly interesting.

"This is awesome.  I really don't know how you take references from other people's work and re-word them, that's a talent.  I find it really hard.  Guess that's why I just take notes for myself and you're able to write for other people."  He grinned at Murphy, handing the magazine back to him.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2012, 05:02:17 PM »
Murphy didn’t hesitate in going to fetch the magazine and he was soon curled up on the sofa beside Ben, trying not to read it over Ben’s shoulder. Instead he settled with studying Ben’s face as he read, wanting to see the vampire’s reactions, smiling at the look of focus whilst Ben was reading. He could feel butterflies in the pit of his stomach, Ben liking this was more important than even when he’d sent it to his editor, or saw people picking up the magazine from the stands.

He felt his cheeks flush at Ben’s praise, overjoyed at having someone actually praising what he’d done. His father had never cared what he’d been up to or wanted to read anything he’d written so Murphy had given up trying to ask his opinion when he was just a kid.

“Thanks, it does take practise. I like your stuff too, it’s so personal. I would have liked to work on this a bit more, find some other sources, but my editor wanted it done in time for this issue after he read the first draft. Thanks so much for getting me that information, it was a huge help. I never could have written this without you,” Murphy gushed, carefully taking back the magazine and glancing over the piece before careful closing the cover and smoothing it out.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2012, 05:16:54 PM »
Ben had an answering grin for Murphy's compliments fed to him in return.  He really needed that right now, to feel good about something.

"All in a night's work," he said, then glanced over at Ichabod who was very still before looking back at Murphy.  "Did you want anything to eat?  I think there might be a muesli bar from 2009 or something."

In reality, he hadn't bothered checking the cupboards for food.

Offline pinkroses

• VIP
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 07:44:11 AM »
Murphy’s gaze followed Ben’s to Ichabod, feeling a little awkward about their silent companion – it was hard to tell whether the silent vampire was switched off or listening to everything and although Murphy had nothing to hide he still didn’t like it all that much. He would have been more than happy to have Ichabod join in their conversation, but this was weird.

“I ate a couple of hours ago, but a drink would be good, just water’s fine,” Murphy said, ready to get up and follow Ben into the kitchen just for an excuse to get away from Ichabod.

“This place is gorgeous. I can’t believe you’ve never shown me this house before, it’s stunning, the view, all of it,” Murphy said as they moved into the kitchen and he headed straight to the windows to look at out at sea before turning back to Ben with a smile, pleased that he’d managed to at least distract Ben for a little while with the article. He hated seeing the blonde stressed or upset and it seemed to happen all too much.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2012, 04:18:21 PM »
Ben hunted for a glass by opening cupboards and was pleased he found one on the third go.  Taking it over to the sink, he filled it up with cold water before bringing it to Murphy by the windows.  He stood there after handing it over, looking out at the ocean as well.  It was calm further out in its depths, but was hissing and sizzling when it hit the cliffside beneath them.  The small beach was fully covered at high tide, and the stairs would lead down to nothing but the clutching ocean.

"I don't come here all that often.  It's just a beach house, a place to get away I guess."

He'd gotten away from the Chambers easily enough, and it was good to have this place available, but the more he thought about it, the more likely Ichabod's scenario was that they would have to leave the city entirely.

"Do you have anywhere to go?  To be safe?" he asked now, his hand lifting to touch Murphy gently on the shoulder.