Author Topic: Treetop Cottage  (Read 14288 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Treetop Cottage
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
It was a grand old house, and its name was stamped on a bronze plaque screwed into the short rock wall out front.  Why it was called Treetop Cottage was lost to the trio, until they made their way inside.  Within the building was a huge trunk of tree which had been used as the centre of a spiralling staircase, glass shelves jutting out in a spiral that were supposed to hold the weight of those that ran either up or down it.  Because Lazarus couldn't be communicated with, David got all of it, and for someone who was as silent as Cicero, he certainly knew how to talk.  David's mind had been filled with emotions and observations about Lazarus and his behaviour.  Everything seemed to have a ring of cynicism to it, and there were many cutting jabs in response to Lazarus' twaddle (because unlike his silent fledge, Lazarus used his voice, and used it often), which David either chose to pass on or didn't, it didn't seem to bother Cicero either way.

Once they were inside, Cicero moved about the house with a speed even David couldn't keep up with, and the two elderly folk who were the inhabitants of the house (but were somehow not the owners, David managed to receive from Cicero, but there was no further explanation than this), were suddenly filled with the desire to take a year long cruise to a warmer climate.  Cicero stood guard over them as they hurriedly and enthusiastically packed two suitcases, declaring if they needed more, they'd buy it!  Life was too short!  Lazarus shook his head at Cicero, who'd been rooting around in the mortal's heads just for something to do.  He turned to David as the couple zipped up their suitcases and were about to leave.

They're murderers, the pair of them.  They conned the original owner of this place to will it over to them and then slowly poisoned her over the next couple of years.  Still want them to walk away?

Lazarus wasn't around at this point, he was touring the other rooms of the house.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Treetop Cottage
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »
David was deeply troubled by this information and he suddenly couldn't hold Cicero's gaze.  Nor could he look directly at the old people; he watched them from beneath his lashes as he dawdled along the side of the bed opposite to where they'd packed.  He trailed his index finger along the bed cover as he slowly walked towards the headboard, his thoughts racing.  Though he didn't look at Cicero, he'd grown used to communicating with his mind by now and it was a fairly natural thing for him to allow his thoughts open for inspection.

He thought of his mother, of how she'd spent her life trying to rationalise away her heartbreaking loss at the hands of a senseless war machine.  She'd searched for meaning in fighting and then through giving and finally now, as her own life was dwindling, she had come to speak only with love.  For all the negativity she'd known, she'd made it positive and she'd taught her children that, as helpless as they were to fight fate and the government, they mattered and everything they did, touched, loved and hated mattered too.  He couldn't imagine what she'd say if presented with this situation and that only made him frown harder because he was fully aware he'd been sheltered (or hidden) in niches of moral ambiguity his whole life, whether at his mother's hand or by his own choices.  He therefore felt underequipped to be handling such a choice now... or perhaps he was just tired from all the mental communication and needed a drink.

I'm no jury.  No judge and definitely no executioner, he thought wearily, sidling another glance at the old couple and searching for some sort of answer that would make a decision.  He felt resigned to pleasing neither sire nor progeny, so he was certainly thinking for himself, but it was rather beyond him, at that moment.  I know it sounds like an excuse, but neither do I want to be responsible for recouping a debt not owed to me.  They didn't harm me and though I don't agree that killing someone is right, nor do I see a point in spilling their blood just because I can.  Good things happen to bad people, right?  If I went around with the attitude of dealing justice, I'd just become another vigilante and cross a line I never should have anyway.  Do what you want with them, if that's your thing.

With his final non-committal suggestion came a shrug and an apologetic look towards Cicero.  He felt guilty for not being willing to take a stand, and also for not seeing it as worth his while, for they were old mortals with little enough life ahead of them.  They reminded him of his mother, in many ways.  But yet he was more than a little aware that he was a vampire and what did he gain from trifling in the affairs of those that didn't matter to him?  A moral penalty mark and a sickening feeling of justice doled out?  No, thank you, he was happy keeping to himself if it wasn't necessarily going to affect him.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 11:43:39 PM »
Cicero's mouth twitched in a smile and as the elderly pair moved past him, bundling their suitcases behind them, Cicero moved out of their way and stared at David thoughtfully.

I like you more, now

The youngling had potential, but that didn't mean to say Cicero was going to invest his time with him.  He was here, in this house, because of Lazarus, and he was aware - because he could feel the energy being slowly sapped out of the young vampire - that the other probably needed a drink, what with all the mental communication.  He also liked the fact that David had switched from speaking to mental thought - a natural progression, he thought, since Cicero talked to him and Lazarus talked about himself.

You can go, if you want to, but if you stay another night I can show you a trick you might like.  Consider it payment for services rendered.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 07:46:59 AM »
David's eyebrows lifted and he was surprised by how pleased he felt that he'd pleased Cicero.  Making an impression was always very important to him but it was a truly odd sensation to have done it without actually trying, this time.  "You want me to stay here?  With you two?  Rather than going to my apartment, which isn't all that far away, and coming back tomorrow night?" he asked for clarification.  Mainly, he asked because he was beginning to thirst and he could pick something up on his way home if he left.  If he had to stay... it would be a bit more complicated, but he could manage.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 04:12:29 PM »
Cicero thought it over.

Yes, but I will only wait here an hour after sundown

It was quite likely that he would be at the house longer, depending on what Lazarus was like when first rising.  Cicero had forgotten a great deal of his sire's quirks, and he seemed a lot more superficial now - but if Cicero had influence over his sire at all, that would probably change.

Lazarus made a sound of delighted exclamation, which had Cicero moving and then looking out the doorway and up the hall.  He couldn't see his sire beckoning to him so turned to face David again, in order to shrug at him and then left the room in order to see what the other blonde had found.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
Then I'll be here before the hour's up, David told Cicero, pleased when the brunette left the room and he finally had the space to leave.  It had been a rather interesting night, in the end, but he was quite exhausted and keen to be alone for a while.

~*~

As promised, the vampire who had yet to see out a half a century of life in total arrived at Treetop Cottage before the new night was an hour old.  He'd even made sure to feed on the way over, just to ward off any of the disconcerting weariness he'd endured on the way home the night before; it made his skin itch when his bloodlust rose noticeably and he'd been quite pink from scratching by the time he lured some late-night dog walkers into the shadows with him.  He didn't want a repeat of that, so he'd fed twice on the way to Treetop.

Tonight, he dressed for business, wearing a long-sleeved button-down shirt (in a warm cream colour) tucked into black slacks and some shiny black shoes.  He wore a belt that was just as shiny as the boots, with a large Harley Davidson buckle.  Both of these vampires had seen him naked (and one of them in extreme detail) but that didn't stop him wanting to establish a few more boundaries tonight.  If he looked less like he was ready to party, he felt that he'd project a better image and maintain a better distance that way.  He left the top two buttons of his shirt open but he tied his hair back into a pony tail at his nape (and even brushed it beforehand) so it was fairly smooth and nowhere near as wayward as it usually was.

Not knowing exactly what to expect, he alerted the new residents of Treetop Cottage by whatever means was most appropriate and slipped his hands into his pants pockets while he waited to be acknowledged.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 02:04:12 PM »
The door opened for him, but nobody was there to open it.  Lazarus could be heard from upstairs:

"Well, are you going to open the door or not?" and an unfamiliar voice replied in a different language - a very odd sounding language, and the voice itself that spoke it was quite soft.  They were both quiet for a moment, and then:  "I have no idea what you just said."

David felt/heard Cicero in his head.

Upstairs, first room on the right.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:12:09 PM »
David couldn't help but raise eyebrows at the apparent disagreements going on in the house.  He wondered if the voice he heard was Cicero's, because he'd managed to coach it back into existence without him being around to communicate through, or whether there was someone else up there with the two vampires.  They certainly didn't mess around, if that was the case, for they hadn't been without his company for very long!

On my way, he sent back, surprised to find that the concentration level this wrought from him was already less after his night of forced practice last night.  It wasn't insignificant, however, and that was why he'd fed well.  He closed the door of the beautiful house and followed the directions he'd been given, craning his head around the doorway when he got to the right room, uncertain if he'd want to enter or simply hover in the doorway.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 02:27:56 PM »
This room (a sitting room) was in utter disarray, as though two bears had fought within it, using up every inch of space and breaking every object that they could.  There were holes in the walls, cushions and the fluff that was supposed to be inside them scattered about, furniture lying in pieces.  About the only thing not broken was the stick of furniture that Cicero and Lazarus were sitting on.  On one end Lazarus was dressed only in a pair of jeans, with rumpled hair and an abashed expression on his face that didn't seem to sit there very well.  Once Lazarus spotted David looking in, the expression was gone and replaced with something far more complacent.

At the other end, Cicero was also dressed in jeans, though he had a lightly patterned cream-coloured shirt upon his shoulders, and a tan vest over that (with a shiny dark brown back, which David couldn't see because he was sat with his back against the three seater sofa).  He was barefoot, like Lazarus, though David would see shoes and socks put to one side, like he'd neatly taken them off before sitting down - except his feet were on the floor rather than pulled up onto the chair.

"Come back for more?" Lazarus asked and stood, causing Cicero to speak - once again softly, with quite a nice speaking voice, and once again in that strange language.  Lazarus hesitated and looked down at his fledge.  They stared at one another for a moment before Lazarus huffed and glared at David.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 02:54:29 PM »
David felt better about entering the room after that display.  Something about knowing Lazarus wasn't happy and that Cicero seemed to have a modicum of control over that made him feel slightly more confident.  He stood before the two of them with a little smile flirting around his mouth and looking quite beguilingly at Lazarus.  "I came back because I was offered treats," he said cheekily and then made a pointed glance about the room.  "So... you two have been getting along, I see?" he smirked back at Cicero.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
"He couldn't get it up," Lazarus replied tartly, and didn't bother looking over his shoulder at Cicero whose expression had transformed into something dark and unsettling.  David had a clear view of it.  "We're going shopping, love," he said, and moved past David in order to leave the room to find a mirror where he could brush out his tangled tresses using his fingers.

Cicero spoke again, once more in that peculiar language that wasn't anything like any language currently used in the world for at least the past three hundred years.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 04:19:00 PM »
David felt it wasn't his place to comment on the 'couldn't get it up' snark, but he couldn't help thinking a few choice retorts that he did his best to keep to himself and jumble up in his head, just to give himself the pleasure of feeling he'd measured up in the sniping department.

He probably has better taste than some of us
So you wrecked the room in frustration?
Probably shouldn't have tried to beat a hardon into him
He can do better anyway, he can do me
Maybe I should do you both and put you in a better mood

The tidily-presented blonde looked at Cicero, remaining where he was standing because he figured it wasn't expected that he follow after Lazarus while he got ready.  "Am I coming shopping with you or have you got other plans for me?  Your voice sounds much better, I guess you don't really need me interfering now," he offered with a sweet smile (which never really worked on him, as when he tried for sweet he usually just ended up looking devious, even if he was being sincere, as he was now).

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 05:32:14 PM »
Cicero quirked his lips before speaking again, directly to David.  Because he'd been touching David's mind, he received some of the thoughts (not directly, just the idea of them) but didn't address them.  Among the strange language spoken, there was only one word David understood, which was his own name.

I'll need you a little longer tonight than expected.  My speech is being evasive.  I don't speak in your mind the same way I have to speak aloud in order to make myself understood.  I'd forgotten it was like this.  Lazarus has forgotten the language we used to share together and I'm struggling with yours.

There were a few languages they used to know, and Lazarus' grip on English was unquestionably good.  Cicero had to give him credit for maintaining it, but really his sire had been forced into it - refusing to expand his mental talents.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 05:37:46 PM »
David gave Cicero a curious look, pondering how it could be that he could speak in one language but think in another - yet understand perfectly everything that was said.  It only made him feel that there were far more layers to this other vampire than he'd anticipated; that was intimidating because he certainly couldn't hope to measure up, but it was also impressive, because he had a burning curiosity to understand such phenomena, even if he couldn't unravel them.  It had been what had drawn him to vampires in the first place; the enigmas they could be.

"Okay," he eventually laughed, shrugging and pulling his hands out of his pockets.  "So what are we going shopping for?  Don't tell me he changed his mind about this place already?"  The smile on his face proclaimed that he was teasing Lazarus in his absence.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
"Clothes," Cicero said, for the word had been bandied about so often by Lazarus after they'd sorted out who was the most dominant.  Cicero had ended up sitting atop of Lazarus, with a hand in the blonde's lovely hair, and dry-humping him until Lazarus had to admit defeat.  There's been no word-play between them this time, and Cicero hadn't managed to get across the fact he didn't need to actually fuck Lazarus to show him he could.  Lazarus had made that passing barb to the young vampire which had incensed Cicero no end.  He didn't like his reputation soiled, especially not when he'd been the winner of their little foray.

He reached down for his socks and shoes in order to put them on.  Another sentence was spoken by him, under his breath, almost to himself, and this time to David's ears, it sounded French.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 05:59:10 PM »
"Clothes," David repeated, his manner deadpan and almost baffled.  There'd been a certain... tension between the two vampires that had convinced the youngling that neither of them particularly cared about clothes, because they were as likely to spend all their alone time naked but apparently he'd been wrong.  Because Cicero hadn't been able to get it up?  He didn't dare ask and cleared his throat as he dismissed the thought, in case it was a sore point and his mind was still being read.  Cicero was old enough and experienced enough that he really couldn't be sure when he was being investigated and when he wasn't, outside of them conversing.

"For Lazarus?" he hazarded, since Cicero seemed to be dressed quite nicely, in his opinion.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 06:19:15 PM »
Cicero looked him over, quite affrontingly, while putting on his second sock.

And for you too, if you want them.  But that isn't the reward I was going to give you.

He frowned and ended the question of whether he could still see inside David's head or not when he wasn't actively sending.

Lazarus was making a jest in poor taste.  If I wanted more than to prove I could best him, you would've heard him squealing from the next street.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 06:27:22 PM »
David quirked a haughty eyebrow as he looked down at Cicero but the expression was somewhat undermined by the fact that he had enough blood in him to blush.  Figuring he might as well accept that his thoughts weren't sacred and that he was an open book, he decided he might as well address the comment made to him, but he did it in a way he knew Lazarus wouldn't be able to hear.

Obviously I picked the wrong one last night because I know for a fact Lazarus doesn't squeal easily, he said, sending a feeling of amusement and polite admiration with it.

"I don't need any clothes.  My sire keeps me well, but thank you for the offer," he said out loud, unable to help wondering afterwards if these two intended to use money to get what they wanted anyway.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 07:05:58 PM »
He didn't express his distaste of David's declaration that he had chosen Lazarus.  Cicero was quite sure he knew which way around it would have been.

Your sire doesn't keep you at all, Cicero noted, but not unkindly.  Sending money to their childe so that they could lead a mortal lifestyle was pathetic, but as far as he could see, it was a failure on David's sire's part and not the blonde's own.  Lazarus will be difficult if I don't allow him some form of manipulation of my time, Cicero explained.  I respect him enough to do as he says when it doesn't come at a cost to my worth.

He eyed David with interest, feeling some ambiguity in the other vampire when he'd thought of his sire.  That was fine, he could be ambiguous, and Cicero wasn't going to actively pry.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 07:31:03 PM »
Thinking about Darius made David feel sad, though he supposed that seeing Lazarus and Cicero as an example was a good thing.  It gave him hope that he and his sire might one day rectify their differences but the longer Darius kept sending him money and leaving him far away, the less strength that hope had.  His expression faltered as he gazed at Cicero.

How long has it been since you and Lazarus were together?  Is it... the same as it always was, once you see him again? the younger vampire queried hesitantly.  It wasn't often that he had the opportunity to learn from vampires who still maintained any sort of relationship after a thousand years and so even though he knew it was prying, he had to take the risk and ask.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 07:46:45 PM »
"Slorta mescht," Cicero said, moving his hand in a so-so gesture.  He frowned to himself before appealing to David.  He didn't bother asking, because he could pluck out of the younger vampire's head (who could be barely considered beyond being a fledgling, in Cicero's eyes) whether what he'd said had been in English or not.

"Uh... comme ci comme ça," he tried again.  He was pleased that there was understanding in David's eyes.  "Good, nid bad, nid good more," he said, and confirmed his statement in David's head.

It started off with his seduction of me, and I was used to such things looking how I look.  He wanted to keep me for himself, and made grand promises of eternity and power.  His promises only met my expectation halfway, but I stayed with him a while.  We parted when I believed he was holding me back.  When we get together for a while, we initally battle for dominance.  I always win easily, because he doesn't train his mind.  I have him on his knees and that is usually enough.  But now... it has to be physical.  Cicero looked around the room and gestured at it as proof.  I still best him, because I train my body as well, while he just... plays.

Here he looked at David calculatingly.

He is confused by his emotions toward you, he told David, because messing with David and Lazarus would be entertaining.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
He was startled out of his imaginings of what it would be like to meet up with a man you'd bedded a thousand years before, because he'd promised you eternity and power, and what would bring you to leave him, by Cicero's statement.  He viewed it as a jest and didn't give it the consideration he might've; he snorted disbelievingly and rolled his eyes.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2012, 08:12:41 PM »
Cicero didn't take kindly to David's instinctive reaction.  Faster than the much younger vampire could react (but not faster than he could see, though Cicero was a bit blurry in his vision), David was held against a wall, with his shoulder screaming pain at him because his arm had been wrenched up his back in what he would recognise as a wrestling move (if he had the mind to).  Cicero was shouting in his head.

Don't be so insolent, you little flea.  I graced you with my history and you dare insult me with that sound?  I am not your sire, and you would be wise to treat your elders with respect.

Unlike Archer, who'd been arrogant and old enough to know better than to challenge an Ancient, David had his chance to apologise and live with all his limbs intact because he was far too young to understand (though Cicero would teach him) and without his sire to guide him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2012, 08:36:08 PM »
David's mind was instantly a muddle as panic set in and his fight or flight instinct kicked his responses into high gear.  He mentally shouted back because of his fear, his free hand gripping Cicero's shoulder in a futile effort to hold him off until he'd explained.

Nononono!  I wasn't laughing at that!  I'm grateful to hear your story, I think I can learn a lot from you, I was laughing at the idea that Lazarus was confused by his emotions for me!  Honestly!

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2012, 08:58:36 PM »
Cicero realised that he'd been hasty.  To misconstrue a laugh, or a feeling or emotion... it had been something Cicero hadn't done in a very long time.  Damn Lazarus and his ring!

He released the younger vampire but didn't say sorry.  He would not apologise for someone being careless, at least.  The young one had to realise that he was dealing with Ancients, and fickle or not, Lazarus outranked him (though he could forgive David for being flippant about the blonde).  He did, however, massage the shoulder he'd considered ripping off, and it was now that Lazarus strode into my room.

"Oh how delightful, we're making friends!"

He is still your elder, Cicero sent to David, and he is still my sire.

Lazarus looked from one to the other.

"Awfully quiet in here.  Tut tut tut, Sissy, no cheating.  You have such a pretty voice."

"Not Sissy," Cicero said quietly, warningly.

"My love," Lazarus amended, then his gaze moved from Cicero to David.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »
Duly noted, David responded, subtly flexing his shoulder to be sure it still worked and wouldn't need too much healing energy as he looked between the other two vampires from beneath his lashes.  It had reminded him to hold his tongue and his thoughts, even though he resented being attacked (for he felt it an excessive reaction).  It had scared him enough to be more careful about minding his ps and qs while they shopped, that was for sure.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:11 PM »

LAZARUS RETURNED TO THE TREETOP cottage with handfuls of shopping bags printed with designer labels on them.  Cicero had been distracted at first, but then interested as his sire decided to change his usual casual look.  There were many smart outfits in those bags, a lot of black and white and deep red.  Colour - other than blue jeans - weren't Lazarus' usual thing, nor was dressing up beyond anything that involved rolling out of bed and putting on one item of clothing (usually the blue-jeans).  But he'd gone and bought himself layer clothing, such as overcoats that ended at his ankles or knees, jumpers, scarves, gloves.  Even a top hat and cane.  Cicero thought it was overdone, but it wouldn't be Lazarus any other way.  He quite liked the change in his sire, and instead of strutting about like a peacock and demanding compliments from the pair of them, he'd actually come out mostly to admire himself beyond the tiny changing room and returned to it without questioning Cicero and David on their opinion, passing up many opportunities for acknowledgement and recognition.

Cicero picked up a single item for himself.  An angora scarf the same colour as his eyes.  Lazarus had wrapped it around Cicero's neck and declared it pretty, and a heated look passed between the two of them before Lazarus broke it by lightly stroking Cicero's face and then moving away to shop for himself some more.  Cicero turned to David and mentally asked him if the scarf did look nice, and with the positive feedback he accepted it.

Neither Lazarus nor Cicero had money, as David discovered, but neither did they steal from the store.  When Lazarus was trying on outfits, Cicero had mentally cast out for an appropriate benefactor, and settled on an elderly gentleman nearby who'd retired early thanks to his filching from the two companies he'd been CEO of.  Ill-begotten gains were ripe for the picking, in Cicero's mind, so he reeled in the fellow and stood to greet him as he entered the shop, slightly dazzled.  Once they were done, he paid for them with his Platinum Visa and then followed them from store to store, always hovering nearby but not interracting with them.

It was during this time that Cicero showed David how to perform a 'trick'.  He had David concentrate on the mortal whilst allowing his eyes to lose their focus - as though he were looking at a point either beyond or before the mortal.  Cicero held his hand and gave him a little mental nudge, prompting him to look for colours, like an aura.  Thanks to Cicero's help, David would see that the fellow with them had a light green-blue stream of colour around his head.  Cicero explained that he'd injection calmness into the mortal, and this was what David could see.  Inspiration was usually purple, sexual energy was red, happiness was orange, intellect was yellow, and green usually harmony.  Blue, which their mortal had a little of, was calmness and deep thought.  He'd come to discover this himself, but now there were 'charts on the computer' that were quite accurate about reading auras.  He wasn't sure how humans had accessed this knowledge, but it was convenient now.  There were many, many shades, and now that David had seen the aura once, it would be very easy to see it again whenever he wished.  Vampires and other supernaturals would be very hard to read and David wouldn't be able to tap into their emotions this way without mental ability - and they would likely feel it.

This was his gift to David, and if the younger vampire practised it while they were out, he would be delighted to find with a little bit of focus, he didn't need Cicero's help again to tap into it.

"We have time for me to dress up and go to Risk," Lazarus announced, already circling the staircase to go upstairs.  Once he disappeared out of sight he called down: "Unless you want to have sex now."

"Talking you or me?" Cicero asked David, with a light smile and a heavy accent.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:30 PM »
David had spent the shopping trip watching, doing his best to observe the ancients without interfering.  He'd also made sure that he didn't invite any more violence by being respectful and responsive at all times.  He appreciated the fact that Cicero had allowed him to glean the reason behind his choice of payment and he liked that there was a reason, even if it didn't sway him one way or the other.  Cicero was thoughtful, even if it was in a ruthless, poised kind of way that made the younger vampire wary.

He thought that the trick Cicero taught him was neat and he kept playing with it at every opportunity.  His mother had long been an advocate of auras; he was keen to meet up with her and test himself against her, now.  He thanked Cicero more than once when he was caught exclaiming softly at masses of people whose auras were glowing a rainbow of interest at him - and the blank spots were likely supernaturals, which intrigued him just as much.  He'd been given a way to pick them out of a crowd and he could think of numerous ways that that would come in handy.

When they got back to the house, the young blonde expected his night of servitude was complete once again and was anticipating leaving to replenish the energy he'd spent gazing raptly at auras most of the evening.  The hunger in him was growly and restless, in fact, something he generally channelled into sexual desire so that he'd have an optimal experience when he got a feed and a fuck at the same time.  Lazarus announcing that they'd go to Risk therefore excited him in ways he tried to suppress but the final comment had him grinning at Cicero with a lopsided smirk.  He looked the brunette over, misplaced hunger in his eyes, and then met his gaze boldly.  He hadn't missed the exchanges between sire and progeny at the stores; he'd been watching them and thinking wistfully of his own misshapen blood bond the whole time.

"I think you," David quipped, unintentionally hooking thumbs into his belt and shifting his weight so that his hips were thrust forward.  "He had me last night.  I'm old news."  He raised his eyebrows, silently telling Cicero that he was pretty sure, from the way he and Lazarus had been flirting, that his sire wanted a full reunion with him tonight.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2012, 08:47:56 PM »
Cicero chuckled and lifted his head so he could peer at David down the bridge of his nose.  It was an expression and a habit of Lazarus', but Cicero's smile was more playful than calculating, so it didn't have the same smug self-assurance that his sire managed.

"He want three," Cicero said, circling his index finger in the air to mean the three of them.  "But I don't."

Lazarus is self-indulgent, Cicero sent into David's mind, and it was likely that the younger vampire noticed (because he'd mentally spoken directly after actually speaking) that Cicero's mental voice was a lot deeper than his own speaking voice, and his accent was the same as David's own.  It is wiser not to fulfill every fantasy you have, as he has, or it will change you, as it has changed him.

Cicero continued to watch David, expecting that the younger vampire would now take his leave.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:19 PM »
"Yeah," David agreed with a smile, sharing Cicero's desire to not have a three-way.  He was too wary of this pair to fully relax with them now and thought he was better off sticking to mortals for the time being.

I'll keep that in mind, he added at the same time.  He'd learned a great deal from Cicero and he was grateful.  Once Lazarus made his appearance and they got to Risk, he made sure he gave the blonde a kiss and the brunette his sincerest thanks before he melted into the crowd, ready to find his own path once again.