Author Topic: Whetting The Appetite  (Read 14571 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Whetting The Appetite
« on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:56 PM »
Because he didn't frequent too many eateries in the city, there was only one place David knew he'd be able to find Greek food to satisfy Bill's request, though he was sorry it wasn't a nicer setting - the food court at the shopping mall.  They had a vast array of culinary delights from what he'd seen on his recent shopping trip with two very particular ancients, so he took a gamble and drove them there.  He carried the helmet into the centre, allowing Bill time to fuss with his hair if he wished; he didn't bother taking his own hair out of its pony tail, though a few longish strands had come loose at the front and were framing his face, causing him to tuck them behind his ears occasionally.

The vampire stayed close to the mortal, directing him towards the food court from slightly behind his left arm, his cool hand in the small of Bill's back to steer him if it looked like he'd take a wrong turn.  He doubted the boy had never been to the centre before, for it was very popular, but he quite liked being in a position of control; it felt natural, considering their states of being.  He also liked touching Bill.

Once they reached the eating area, however, David's minor reign ended, for he had no interest in pretending to eat or drink anything.  In fact, he encouraged Bill to go and get what he wanted while he hung back, shifting his focus and playing with his ability to percieve auras in order to define what sort of emotions were present around them.  There were no other supernaturals but a surprising amount of unhappy people gathered at the fake wooden chairs and tables; he was pleased to see that Bill's aura had changed to one showing a few more vibrant colours and he knew it had everything to do with him.  He smiled as the mortal headed back towards him and he met him at an empty table.

Quicker than blinking, David was beside Bill, gallantly pulling out the tray-bearing mortal's chair for him.  He made a sweeping gesture towards it and grinned.  Once he had his reaction and Bill taking the seat he'd indicated, he would move to the one directly opposite and sit down.  He'd unzip his leather jacket and then loosely fold his arms, leaning his elbows on the table as he looked over the food the mortal had brought back.  "Find what you wanted?" he'd ask hopefully.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
Re: Whetting The Appetite
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 01:59:38 AM »
To Bill’s surprise, they ended up at the food court in the mall. He shouldn’t be surprised,  at all though, he thought to himself as he realized that David likely wasn’t very familiar with eateries in the city. It was a good bet the food court had Greek, though…or at least something that resembled it.

He had been to the mall quite a few times, mostly window shopping for clothes he could barely afford, if at all. He knew the general direction of the food court, though he tended to abstain from eating there unless there was little other choice. Still, he allowed David to guide him, loving the feel of the hand on his back. It certainly didn’t feel overbearing in the slightest to him, especially given what David was.

They parted ways for a few minutes as Bill went up to the counter to get a greek salad and piece of baklava, something light yet delicious that still conformed to his vegetarian diet. The smell of the slowly turning lamb meat for the gyros made his stomach turn briefly before he received his food and was walking back towards David, a smile alight on his face.

“Thanks,” he beamed at David, sliding into the offered chair as he set his tray down on the table.

He, too, took off his jacket, draping it over an empty chair before he answered. His hair was quite simply a lost cause, though he had managed to make it not so flat before they came in. He glanced down at the salad, full of iceberg lettuce that barely retained any green color, a smattering of cheese, olives and banana peppers thrown carelessly on top, tomato wedges on the side. It wasn’t bad, especially when compared to the salad he had eaten for lunch earlier.

Bill was a few pounds underweight, he knew, mostly due to a high metabolism that seems to be able to handle anything he threw its way. Despite that, though, he tried to eat healthy foods as opposed to MSG-laden articles that could make his blood unsavory, not to mention the unease the thought of eating chemically-enhanced food gave him. Salad was about as healthy as he was going to get in this food court, he knew, aside from the delicious baklava.

“Yeah,” he answered with a smile, opening the dressing packet to drizzle just a bit into the salad and stirring it around. “Thanks…it’s probably better than anything I could get at home.”

Read: ramen. He had a tendency to cook the noodles, seasoning them with his own spices instead of the small meat-flavored packets full of salt and other crap his body didn’t really need. There was probably a bit of eggplant lasagna or frozen black bean burgers left over, but they didn’t particularly sound appetizing at the moment. Should he even bother explaining his food choices to David? He doubted the vampire would care. On the other hand…he very well might care after all. Emil would probably care, but then Emil was practically human, in Bill’s opinion…he certainly didn’t act like a vampire.

“I don’t eat meat,” he explained, taking a bite of his salad and chewing it completely before continuing. “So my choices are a bit limited almost everywhere I go…Greek cuisine is very accommodating to that, generally speaking. Aside from the  gyros, of course.”

He wrinkled his nose slightly at the thought. He had already gone through the research to ensure that the large blob rotating on a stick was in fact meat, however must it looked like something else instead. Now what kind of meat it was, especially in the shopping center food court, was still a valid question.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 07:41:50 AM »
David smirked, his fingers lightly stroking the leather at his elbows as he watched the mortal.  "We're very different then, you and I.  Meat is all I eat," he said meaningfully, his gaze on the pretty boy across from him predatory.  The way he said it, he was definitely implying more than blood being his sole dietary requirement.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31:39 AM »
Bill was pretty sure that David said these things on purpose. Of course, there was nothing wrong with what he said, especially since they were in a public place and he couldn't exactly say anything about how he ate blood, after all. It was the way he said it that made Bill's gut twist…though he wasn't sure in what way.

He knew for a fact that he most definitely wanted to do things of a sexual nature with David, and feeding naturally came with the territory, since he was a vampire, after all. If Bill had had any qualms about the feeding portion, he would have parted ways with David long before. No, it was more that he was slowly getting used to the idea that it was okay to like being fed from, to like having the life slowly drained out of him. At least this time, he would freely offer his body as well, instead of simply being too horny from the feeding to care if someone got in a grope or more. He knew what he was getting into, and this time it was his choice and not simply a form of payment for information.

He swallowed his bite, tempted to push the food away and claim he was done, though he had barely touched the salad. He wanted so badly to get on with it and prove to himself that he actually wanted the feeding…not to mention the fact that nearly everything David did or said aroused him. The vampire was like sex on two legs, and Bill wanted it. Even better, it seemed that David certainly wanted him.

"I knew that," he smirked, crossing his ankles under the table. "So…what else do you normally do, besides ride your motorcycle? You can't exactly do that during the day, so…I don't mean to pry, I mean."

He was caught between being insanely curious as to everything about vampires and wanting to shun it all and pretend they didn't exist. Some of them were so grabby and anxious with bloodlust, while others were cool and controlling. Then there were still others that seemed almost human, but for a few telltale signs. David seemed somewhat easy to talk to, though Bill knew better than to bombard him with questions.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:15:18 AM »
David smiled indulgently.  "Well, I sleep through the day, naturally.  Some nights I go out, meet new people, practise my skills.  I like clubs and noise and action, so I like going to Risk, Tantric or the White Rabbit.  Sticks and Stakes is cool too - it's a pool hall.  Sometimes I even find myself checking out the sights at the museum or art gallery... or The Pompeii," he grinned wickedly, wondering if Bill was familiar with the strip joint.

"I also stay in a fair bit, playing games.  I have an XBox Kinect, a Wii and a PS3, as well as a PC.  I online game, it sucks me in pretty completely," he laughed, giving an affable shrug and leaning back in his seat.  "You like gaming?" he enquired innocently (though his golden eyes were dancing).

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
Bill listened vapidly as he named off various clubs, some that Bill didn't recognize. He knew Tantric by name only, and the White Rabbit didn't ring any bells. Andi had introduced him to Risk only, and that was where Bill felt the most comfortable--if he were comfortable at all with going there, which he really wasn't. He wasn't, and probably never would be a groupie.

He listened to David, nodding at the appropriate spots as he continued to shovel the salad into the his mouth, avoiding the tomatoes as he went. He wasn't a huge fan of those.

"We have a PS3," he offered, smiling a bit. "It's Thomas's, though…I haven't really touched it since he went missing. I've played it, though."

It was out of respect for his brother that Bill didn't touch the console. Thomas had bought it with his own money, making it his, and he didn't like Bill touching it. It was that same respect that made Bill respect his curfew (when he felt like it), set down by his brother when they were teens. Perhaps it was strange to think that Thomas had taken on roles that were normally meant for parents, but it had always been that way for Bill--it was what he knew.

"I haven't really had much of a chance to play," he continued after a moment. "But I think I would like it, probably. Maybe."

Who didn't like games, after all?

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
"Maybe after you finish eating we could go back to my place, then?" David queried mildly, doing his best to keep his smile friendly and not insinuate anything.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 08:23:19 PM »
Bill twirled his plastic fork in the remains of the salad. He hadn't been sure where David wanted to go next, but his apartment certainly seemed the logical step, given the activities Bill was sure would follow.

"I could do that," he smiled, doing his best to keep his expression innocent and not smirk widely at the insinuation. He wanted David…and now he could finally have him. "I'm actually done anyway."

He stood up, intending to throw away his food so that  they could leave.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 08:35:39 PM »
David raised his eyebrows, looking at the food Bill was holding in perplexion.  Either his eyesight was failing or the mortal was so keen to be heading back to his place, he was planning to throw some away before he was actually finished.  He smirked up at the boy, feeling the heady rush a spider must feel when its leg tingles, signalling a meal caught in its web.

"You can finish eating, you know.  There's no rush," he pointed out.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 11:42:54 PM »
Bill smiled at him, tossing the remains of the food into the trash can. His purpose for not finishing his food was twofold. True enough, he wanted to go back to David’s apartment, especially before David got tired of him and decided that he wasn’t worth the effort. But he also didn’t want to eat too much, either. The last thing he wanted was to go around a curve too sharply and end up throwing his meal up for any reason…not to mention that the bloated feeling from eating too much wasn’t very pleasant.

“No, really,” he shrugged with an easy-going smile. “I’m finished.”

Did he look too eager? Ugh, he looked too eager, didn’t he? He probably looked like a vampire groupie at that point, just wanting to get bitten already.

“I wouldn’t mind riding around some more before we go back to your apartment, though,” he offered, returning to his seat.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 12:23:48 AM »
He didn't get a chance to sit down, as David rose to his feet once Bill threw his salad remains away.  He noted that the boy still had his baklava and he approved of that, for it looked sweet and would assist his blood sugar to rise after he drank from him.  The thought caused his smile to grow once more.

"I'll go the long way," he assured his passenger and grabbed his helmet.  "It mightn't be a bad idea to get a drink and some more food for... later, though.  I don't have anything in stock and you might end up hungry," he advised, batting his eyelashes deliberately.  "C'mere," he instructed and took Bill's hand in his free one.  He walked the mortal over to the place he'd previously bought food even if he objected, and instructed him to pick a snack that would go with his current one, as well as some drinks.  He'd coax Bill into complying if he still insisted on objecting somehow.

When the order was filled and placed on the counter, David told the assistant that he'd received payment and the mortal merely nodded, accepting that instruction and the mental imperative that had been planted along with it before moving on about his business.  David continued to hold Bill's hand as he turned away to walk back to the bike and he wondered if the mortal would have anything to say about the fact that he'd just more or less stolen from the shop.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 12:37:18 AM »
Bill happily placed his hand in David’s, carrying the baklava in his other. It was rather comforting that the vampire wanted to make sure Bill would have something for afterwards…it showed that true to his word, he definitely planned to keep Bill alive and not overindulge. While Bill had trusted him before, the act made his trust the vampire even more.

Soon enough, the baklava was replaced with a bag containing even more sweet treats and a sugary iced tea before and he was being led away from the stand. Bill glanced back at the assistant, waiting for him to say something about them paying, but he was clearly occupied with another task. Bill glanced back at the vampire, then back at the stand again.

“Did you just…?” he asked, stopping himself because it sounded silly. Speaking into a person’s mind was one thing…ordering them about was something completely different. Then again, he hardly knew anything about vampires, so it was possible, he supposed.

“Can you do that?” he questioned instead, still holding David’s hand as he followed the vampire to the motorcycle. “Like anytime you want?”

He wasn’t about to say anything against stealing from the place. With the prices they charged, Bill might as well have paid for everything in the bag with his first purchase, anyway. Besides…who was he to question a vampire?

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 07:16:40 AM »
David laughed, grinning at the mortal.  "Sure.  I'm not very good, though.  I don't practise enough - my laziness used to drive my sire mad - so it tires me out if I do too much of it.  If I was better I'd be able to do a heap more stuff - wiping memories, creating new ones, altering perceptions.  I picked up a new trick recently, though.  An ancient taught me.  He's inspired me to keep practising," the blonde informed his companion enigmatically, assuming the mortal knew a fair amount more about vampires than he actually did, so he delivered the information offhandedly.

Offline Annalas

• Wordsmith
  • Giver of Leaves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2012, 07:54:24 AM »
Bill filed each piece of information away with what he already knew about vampires, which wasn't really that much, all things considered. He knew about the ability to speak inside of people's minds and the feeding parts of it, naturally, but as far as other abilities, he wasn't too knowledgable. He wasn't even aware that mind control was on the table, but apparently it was. He nodded, eyes wide as he listened raptly.

"So can any vampire do that if they practice, or are there special kinds?" Bill asked, still following David.

What about George? Could he do all of that stuff, too? That was probably how he had hidden the fact he was a vampire from them both for so long. What if he had coerced Thomas out of the house using mind control, and then made him become a fledging? Just this small piece of knowledge opened up plenty more possibilities that he had never entertained before.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2012, 11:31:43 AM »
"There are differences," David shrugged, "and each vampire has the potential to develop uniquely, but we all have the potential to develop.  I don't think the powers are restricted in any way.  We just need time - which, hey, we have plenty of, let's face it! - and practise.  A good sire to guide you helps, too," he admitted, feeling a sudden pang of regret for the pompous way he'd treated his beloved sire.

He knew he hadn't made their two decades together easy and he wasn't surprised that Darius hadn't followed him here to this city, four years ago.  Tonight wasn't the first time he'd wished he would, but his reasons were becoming far more mature and evolving rapidly as he met other vampires and found his way.