Author Topic: When The Stars Fall  (Read 14522 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
When The Stars Fall
« on: September 25, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »
(Continued from 'Jagged')

Pulling into their driveway, driving into the garage and pulling up beside his Mustang was a far weirder experience than Owen had expected it to be.  There was something so gut-churningly final about this, because he wasn't coming back and it scared him.  More even than bringing nothing more than himself into a relationship with Vincent, leaving behind everything he knew terrified him and it encased him completely as Vincent's car came to a stop in that garage.

What am I doing?
I have no idea what I'm doing!

Panicked thoughts invaded his brain and he looked wildly at Vincent, only to have the memory of those secret papers surface and crowd in on him with that anger in tow.  Swallowing hard, he looked down at his lap, at his hands clenched into fists there and fought off the unexpected wave of anxiety.  At the Chambers, it'd been easy to look around and daydream about how convenient it would be to have his stuff there, surrounding him, but now all he could think about was how intimidating this whole process was, how hard it would be to pack a bag and not come back to a familiar bed every dawn.  He was leaving Vincent and maybe his sire had already processed that but he hadn't, not until he'd returned to actually do it and lost all confidence in his ability to go through with it.

He was mad!  He had to be!  Why would he walk away from this?  Because of a secret, a silly, long-kept secret that seemed to have little bearing in the face of being alone in the world?  Ha!  Surely there were better reasons than that, better excuses to empower him to walk away from everything familiar and comfortable!

Again, he glanced at Vincent, the words, 'I don't think I can do this,' on his tongue, almost at his lips, in his heart... but they froze when he looked at his sire.  Everything about him was in mourning and as much as Owen regretted that, it was all he could see.  It was all he ever saw.  Vincent was his world, the man who'd been there since the day he was abandoned by people who'd made him and didn't want him, the one who'd loved and cossetted and spoiled him as a child, the vampire who'd made him immortal and given him everything and suddenly he saw this for what it really was.

He had no identity.  Nothing Vincent had never given him first and if he was ever going to be whole enough to measure up in his own eyes, then he had to go now, while everything was falling apart.  He needed to walk away and deconstruct himself so he could be built up properly.  This... shell that he was was false and he hated it, but there was an opportunity for more, to meet people and make connections and find out what mattered to him.  Vincent always would, he was happy with what he'd created but Owen wasn't.  There was more, and it was within his grasp now, and even though he was scared to death of it, he had to do it, for his own self respect.

Without thinking too much more, Owen opened the car door and got out, closing it behind him with a quiet snick as he straightened his shoulders and headed into the house, prepared to be bombarded with doubt.  He made it to the bedroom before he faltered and then he hesitated as he came down the stairs, looking from the floor where he'd sat to read all of Vincent's secrets, to their bed.  His stare lingered there for a while, as he imagined what it might have been like for Vincent to sleep there alone through the first day with him gone and the pain of it sliced through him.  He could imagine it all too well.  He closed his eyes and turned his head away, taking a breath before he continued on to the wardrobe.

He froze again when he bent down to get a bag to pack his stuff into and saw the floorboards hadn't been replaced over the safe, for he could see it.  It wasn't even locked, because the display was blank.  All the papers had been put back inside it, he assumed (for they certainly weren't on the floor anymore) but... he supposed there was no point in locking the safe any more.  He'd already discovered its secrets.  After a slow blink, he diverted his attention to the overnight bag nearby, one of his and Vincent's well-used bits of luggage.  It was reassuring to pull it out, unzip it and lay it open on the bed.  He could pretend he was going on a trip somewhere and that it was no big deal; instinctively, he went for underwear and socks first, falling into a familiar routine and doing his damndest to ignore the smells in here (and the fact that he kept sniffing at them, like he was trying to soak them into his skin before he left completely).

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: When The Stars Fall
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
Vincent was unmoving when they arrived.  He stared unblinking out the windscreen, looking at the garage but not really seeing it.  The only time he registered anything was when Owen got out of the driver's side and entered the house.  He followed mutely and slowly, feeling like his life was over.  For all the hope that Owen had given him, he couldn't hold onto it when he was facing countless days and nights alone.  His greatest fear was loneliness, because he'd lived with it for some two centuries, and he certainly didn't want to go back there.  It was a dark place.

Owen was already putting socks and underwear into his bag when Vincent came downstairs.  He stood at the bottom stair, his back to the wall, watching his fledge move, going through the motions to leave.  He would say nothing as Owen packed, not knowing what to say and thinking that silence was better because at least he wasn't crying and getting Owen further upset.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
Owen's thoughts were centred firmly on how many outfits he'd have before he needed to wash again, wondering if there was laundry equipment still at the Chambers and supposing there would be a coin laundry nearby if not.  He didn't take anything too special - certainly not his leather pants, which he'd bought for Vincent's benefit more than anything - but he packed a few nice shirts and some dress slacks in amongst the jeans and T-shirts. After a bit of hesitation, he packed two pairs of shorts and his black suit jacket as well, the former for comfort and the latter to dress up anything he might want to wear out.

Mostly, he was anticipating wearing these clothes to Risk, though he had no idea when.  It was the only place he and Vincent had ever really gone, though he supposed there'd be more opportunities for him in the city.  Museums and the like.  He didn't know for sure, but he'd packed for it either way, his bag straining as he got it zipped back up.  Once that was done, he turned his attention to his side of the bed, spying his Kindle on his bedside table.  "Do you mind if I take my Kindle?  And my pillow?" he asked Vincent politely, turning to look at his sire.  He wasn't sure what'd made him tack on the pillow request because neck support wasn't a big issue for him in his state of undeath and it didn't bother him where he rested his head, but he suspected it was for comfort more than anything.  It was from their bed, bearing their pillowcase and as much as he was doing his best to strike out independently, small comforts would be welcome.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 03:07:20 PM »
"Take what you want," Vincent consented, and even he heard the emptiness in his tone.  His gaze sharpened a little as he pulled himself out of it, and his gaze followed Owen across to the Kindle and the pillow in question.

Shame, he'd cuddled that pillow the first night.  What was he going to cuddle with now?

He fought the urge to cry because it was starting to get on his own nerves.  Pillows were a poor substitute anyway.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
Owen hesitated, looking at Vincent because his tone suggested he didn't mean what he said but then, how could he?  He didn't want Owen to go, he thought... actually, the fledgling only just became aware that he didn't know what his sire was thinking, beyond not wanting him to go.  He collected his pillow and Kindle and folded them into his arms, before him, as he sat tentatively on the edge of the bed and regarded his sire uncertainly.

"Where... what happens now?  For you?" he asked gently, meaning that he wondered what sort of future his sire was envisioning for them, so he could accommodate thatw ith his own plans.  Somehow.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »
Owen wanted to discuss his future with him?  It was easy enough.

"I stay here," he said, and his gaze flickered as he looked at Owen, "and wait."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »
Owen nodded, seeing that neither of them really knew what would happen.  It was one of those situations.  "So... I'll probably visit.  For training," he said stiltedly, though he couldn't say when and he balked at defining it just now.  "That okay?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
"You're always welcome here," Vincent said, his tone meaningful.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 03:26:20 PM »
"You'll... tell Karen?  That I found out and I've moved out?" he asked, bracing himself to say it and to hear the answer.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »
Vincent's gaze sharpened once again and he looked unhappy.

"I'll tell her, but I don't want you to ignore her.  I'm the one who set everything up, I'm the one to blame.  She did nothing except be a good mother to you."

If Karen lost Owen as well, it would kill her.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 03:41:38 PM »
Owen had the grace to look down at his hands, over the thickness of his pillow and give that some thought before he responded.  "I know that," he eventually conceded, his heart hurting as he thought of his mother not actually being his mother and how that made him feel even more out of control than knowing Vincent had orchestrated it all.

"But that... just makes it harder... because she held me closer, longer and she deceived me all that time, you know?  I never even suspected she didn't give birth to me, that her husband wasn't my father or that you didn't know him.  I just... " he trailed off, tears pooling in his eyes as he looked forlornly up at Vincent, "feel so lost," he admitted and then he was sobbing, covering his face with his hands.  "I don't even have a real mother because she left me in some basket in some..." but he trailed off, crying too hard to even express the yawning pit of rejection he felt inside of him.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 03:46:27 PM »
Owen's pain resonated in him, and he stepped forward to hug Owen before pausing and stepping back, pressing himself more firmly against the wall and clamping his lips together.  It would be so easy to fall back into the role he'd made for himself.  A role Owen had given him.  A role Owen now refused to acknowledge.

"Is that the kind of mother you'd prefer?  Karen never deceived you, she treated you like her son, because you were her son.  I doubt very much that she actively lied to you.  It's easy to forget that the story isn't real," he said, and lowered his own gaze.  "Especially when you so badly want it to be true," he finished, his voice having no strength to be sounded above a whisper.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 04:04:07 PM »
Owen made a disgusted noise and glared up at Vincent through his tears but he didn't say anything.  He was angry that Vincent couldn't comfort him with anything besides how easy it was to believe your own lies.  Sure, after you'd lived them and sucked some ignorant child into your fairy tale it would be easy to believe a lie but that didn't account for how he felt!  He lifted the collar of his shirt and wiped at his eyes, knowing his ire was unreasonable but it was a good propellant to get him out of there, too.

"I don't know what I'd prefer because I was never given a choice and it's a moot point now anyway," he snapped and stood up, tucking his pillow and Kindle under one arm and gathering his bag in his left hand.  His phone, charger, wallet and keys were all upstairs, they'd be what he gathered before he walked out to his car and drove away.  "Just warn her that I'm not in the mood to talk to her yet, either, and I'll be in touch when I'm ready," he ordered Vincent austerely, waiting for his acknowledgement before he moved again.

It felt like there were a million things he wasn't saying but at the same time, if he stuck around to say them all, he'd never leave.  He and Vincent would just keep going around in circles until they'd both exhausted absolutely every avenue of discussion and reached some sort of understanding, at which point he'd no doubt concede that everything was okay and things would return to the way they'd been.  But he didn't want that.  He wanted things to be different because he wasn't exactly made up of all the regular bricks he'd thought he was.  He was a conglomerate of so many more pieces and he'd not had time to examine them and decide how he wanted them to be positioned for himself yet.  He needed to take control and leaving was the first step; even when he eventually came back, he had to make it on his terms.  He had to set that precedent now.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 04:47:17 PM »
"Don't take too long," Vincent said gruffly, likely surprising his fledge.  He couldn't stick up for himself, but he could stick up for her.  Karen didn't deserve Owen's self-pitying shit.  "The moment I tell her, she'll be devastated.  She doesn't deserve to feel that longer than a couple of days."

Or any, he thought, but believed it was best to just let Owen deal with it.  He suspected Karen might be stronger, but now they would be gambling with her feelings.  If he suspected Owen was going to be selfish in the matter, he wouldn't tell Karen all of what Owen had discovered.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 04:52:16 PM »
"Well, you reap what you sow," Owen said coldly, unmoved by Vincent's appeals on Karen's behalf.