Author Topic: Forgotten Family  (Read 16736 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Forgotten Family
« on: April 12, 2013, 03:49:50 PM »
(reserved)

BEN CHECKED HIS CELLPHONE FOR the third time, seeing that it was only five minutes past seven.  The mall was open until midnight, so there was no feeling of rushed shoppers around him.  He was standing in what was commonly used as a meeting place, as there was a large pedestal often filled with a mannequin display surrounded by an admiring circle of cushioned bench seats.  His brother had nominated the location because it was a place they both knew when they'd talked about it over the phone.

His actual brother Michael, not his fledge-brother Ichabod.

He'd been contacted by one of his old modelling agents.  They'd texted him with a short message a few nights ago.

Michael Samson is trying to contact you.  His number is ...

Ben had been surprised and then weirded out by the idea of his brother tracking him down to the point that he'd found one of Ben's agents and had tried to get Ben's details out of them.  True to form, they'd kept his details private, but passed on the message.  When Ben had called the mobile provided, he'd not known what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised to have a very enthusiastic voice on the other end of the line.  The strongest emotion from Ben was guilt, though, because he'd never given his family a second thought after leaving.  His younger brother had never disappointed his parents in the ways Ben had, so he'd always believed Mick would be okay there.  It turned out in this he was right, because Mick had spoken about both their mother and father doing well, and that he was still in touch with them.  A sign of a good relationship.

Mick - as Michael now called himself - insisted on getting together in person to catch up.  Ben had suggested evenings were best, and so Mick had nominated a few places - most of them bars Ben didn't recognise, until they agreed on the Cypress Shoppingtown.  It was big, it had coffee shops and such, and it was also impersonal.  It was a Wednesday night and there were no exceptional sales advertised, so there were fewer shoppers than there would be on a weekend.  Ben still felt a bit lost - it had been a long time since he'd come to a mall.  At least he'd remembered the layout of this place from several years ago.  He'd used to come here a lot to see movies that didn't play at the Bojangles.

He pocketed his phone and chose a seat for himself.  He'd barely got settled when he was approached by a guy he barely recognised.  Stupidly, he'd been picturing his brother as he'd last seen him - as a young teen.  Many years had passed, and though Ben hadn't physically aged past nineteen, he should be in his late twenties.  As a result, he was surprised by the guy in his mid-twenties who greeted him.

INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Family
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 10:11:38 PM »
Mick Samson was running late to meet his brother on purpose.  He was planning on crying poor, to see how much his long-lost sibling could help him out and it wouldn't be a lie.  His piece of shit car did take ten minutes to start because it was falling apart and he had no spare money to fix it; he was barely making rent in his run-down apartment and he'd just lost his latest job.  The relief he'd felt when Ben had called him back had been palpable.  His brother had to have made some decent money from his modelling gigs.  He was going to be Mick's ticket out of poverty.

Once he picked a parking spot at the mall, he sauntered to the agreed meeting place in no particular rush.  The later he was, the better his story, he figured.  He was wearing a pair of jeans that had numerous holes in them, ratty sneakers, a shirt emblazoned with the Nike symbol and a black faux leather jacket that had seen better days (but was still the pride of his wardrobe).  He recognised his brother from his magazine photos rather than what he remembered of him as a kid (he'd been twelve when Ben had left their family home) and walked up to him with a guarded smile, his hand held out for the shaking.

"Ben!  How the fuck are ya, man?" he greeted brashly, pleased to note that his big bro had some very expensive looking clothes on.  He was way more neatly presented too, his hair clean and neatly cut, his jaw smooth and hairless.  Mick's hair hadn't seen shampoo in a few days and the thick blonde strands were in need of a trim, as was his beard.  Ben's eyes caused Mick to frown once he got a good look at them - they used to be a striking light blue (like his) but now they were so pale and shiny they were like almost-clear aquamarines.  He'd seen some pictures of lakes in Switzerland or Sweden or some-fucking-where like that that were coloured like his brother's eyes; they were eerie.  He frowned as he stared at them.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 10:28:06 PM »
First impressions were important to Ben, and the loud greeting with curses attracted a few disapproving or curious stares from passing shoppers.  Ben stood up awkwardly, moving to one side in order to maintain his distance between his unrecogniseable brother and himself.  He managed a smile, though it was the kind used when being introduced to someone who might not be the kind of contact you wanted to make.  He had to remind himself that Michael was his brother, that family should be more important to him, and that this guy had been a kid when they'd last laid eyes on one another.  It wasn't Michael's fault their parents had been so shitty to him.  Ben was the older brother and he'd just left Michael there.  Honestly though, what could he have done?

"I've been good, thanks," he said, accepting the hand and shaking it, more comfortable and relieved with this formal greeting than he would've been with a hug.  He didn't understand Mick's frown but his gaze raked his brother's form.  He looked to be in the same state Ben had been before meeting Kerr.

Made sense, he supposed.

"You?" he asked, curious but concerned that his brief question would invite a huge story when they weren't sitting down and comfortable.  He should've ushered them to a place somewhere.

Let's go have a coffee and catch up
We'll find a place to sit and you can tell me all about what's going on with you
Did you want to grab a bite to eat?  I've already done so but if you're hungry...

Yes, Ben had certainly planned for this meeting.  He'd selected a couple of warm bodies about a half hour ago, to put colour in his face and warmth in his skin.  He wouldn't be unusually cold, and he was only wearing a check short-sleeve shirt over cargos.  Casual but still with a designer label, so they didn't have that weird off-the-rack loose look to them.  His lime green sneakers were the only thing that shouted their mismatch to the entire outfit, but they usually succeeded in making him look hipster.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 12:53:00 AM »
Still frowning, Mick shook his head slightly to dispel the need to stare at his brother's eyes and pay attention to what he was saying.  Here was his big opening and he just about missed it trying to figure out if Ben was wearing contacts or whether he was sick or something.  He didn't seem right, though it was nothing Mick could put his finger on right now.

The younger sibling sighed dramatically.  "Pretty fucked, actually, but it's a long and boring story I'm sure you don't really wanna' hear," he laughed self-deprecatingly, waving a dismissive hand and shoving the other one into his jacket pocket as he shrugged.  He looked at the nearby seating with feigned interest, aware that he'd left his brother very little option but to ask about his shitty life and wanting it that way.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 01:27:22 PM »
There was a theatrical air to the declaration that confused Ben.  Did Michael not want him to ask about the troubles he was having or was this an attempt at poor reverse psychology, that his protests were feigned in order to feel cared about by Ben's insistence to hear the long and boring story?  It seemed overly obvious as the latter, but it was so transparent that Ben found it bizarre.

"I've got time," he said, but didn't follow his brother's gaze to the cushions.  "There's a coffee shop down there," he said, gesturing with his head to his right, away from the main food court and a place that he'd walked past and spied an empty cluster of corner tables.  "We can catch up in there."

He felt artificial, like a walking talking doll saying lines after having his string pulled.  The idea of this meeting was just as awkward as the real thing.  Hopefully as they chatted he'd feel a little more normal.  The elitest and constantly competitive part of him believed that no matter how 'fucked up' things were in Michael's life, it wouldn't be as bad as what Ben himself had been through.

I've lost my sire and the love of my life, I have an eternity to fill without him, I'm supernaturally connected to a guy that despises me - a guy that probably despises nobody but made an exception just for me, I'm out of favour with the powerful beings in this city because I fucked up the political scene and banished an entire species out of this world, I lost three years of my life because I was possessed and I'm not getting those memories back.  I know I've won the 'fucked up' competition and I don't even have to hear what you've got to say.

But that was just a lousy attitude, and he would do his best to help Michael through his shitty situation, if it was in his power to do so.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 08:34:22 PM »
Mick's eyebrows lifted momentarily but then he nodded and his features smoothed out.  He hid his pleasure at getting what he wanted as he followed Ben to the coffee shop.  They found a booth at the back of the room and sat opposite each other, not worrying about getting anything to drink straight away in favour of talking.  Mick decided it was in his best interest to ask about his big brother first.

"So, you look pretty good," he complimented, his hands resting on the table between them, his fingers rubbing slowly against his thumbs or flicking restlessly.  "I saw your pictures in a magazine when I went to the doctor's, almost didn't believe it was you but decided to try and get in touch anyway.  I'm real glad you called.  Wasn't sure you would, now you're a big model," Mick laughed caustically, his gaze betraying that he was very interested in hearing about Ben's career despite his casual demeanour.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »
It was cosy in here and Ben relaxed.  This was the sort of place that he could order a black coffee and just let it get cold, as though he'd been too busy talking (or listening) to notice.  During the brief comments to one another while getting here, he found out his brother went by the nickname Mick.  It helped Ben a little, because Michael had always been the kid, and now this grown up stranger could be classified by a different name.

"Thanks, but it must've been an old magazine.  Left the modelling behind when I left New York," he said with a shrug.  He didn't really want to talk about it, but it made sense that this would be Mick's focus.  It was, after all, how he'd found him.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:13:41 PM »
"Oh, you lived in New York?" Mick exclaimed, trying to fight the disappointment he felt at being told Ben wasn't still in the modelling game.  Still, that didn't mean he was a useless mark.  "That's cool, how long were you there for?  Did you have one of those fancy New York apartments?  All expenses paid?  You must've made a pretty penny with them taking your pictures all the time," he hinted with a smile, his gaze instinctively lowering to take in Ben's fancy shirt once more.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2013, 09:24:35 PM »
Ben was astute enough to understand money was important to Mick, who was behaving like he didn't have a lot of it.  Considering how Ben had been living before being taken into the whirlwind of supernatural lifestyle, he could understand it.  Life was hard for a lot of people, and his folks hadn't much for themselves, let alone anything left over to give.  Ben was now in possession of a ridiculous amount of money, but it wasn't like he would be doing Mick any favours by dumping a bunch of it on his head.  There were issues that came with it, like explaining how he'd come into such wealth.  Then there was that other thing; pride.  Ben assumed that Mick wouldn't want a handout.  Just like he hadn't, when in his position.

He nodded at the question.

"Not quite a year," he expanded, and shook his head with a smile that he summoned up with practised ease, though it felt abnormal on his face.  He wondered if the smile was fooling Mick, who didn't know him.  "No, nothing so fancy.  I paid for everything."

One way or another

"But I did get a ton of free stuff from the companies that hired me.  Was in their interests my wearing their clothes and stuff in my free time, I guess."  This time the smile was more natural, because he wasn't talking about where he'd been living in New York.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »
Again, disappointment stung at Mick's innards but he bit it back, trying another tack.  "Free stuff, that's cool.  So how come you came back home?  Because you couldn't get any more modelling work?" he guessed, his lower lip pooching briefly forward as he shrugged a shoulder.  "Can't believe that you made it to New York and still came back to this shithole of a city," he added snidely.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 09:56:30 PM »
Ben frowned as he thought about how to explain his return from New York.  Might as well keep close to the truth, within reason.  It wasn't like Mick would understand about psychotic Ancients.

"I got myself into a bad situation and uh... a friend got me out of it.  I came back here to be with him."

It was no secret that Ben had left home because of his being gay, and it wasn't like his parents would've been able to hide the truth from his younger brother, considering the blow-up they'd had.  How strange, that it had stung him so deeply back then and he felt absolutely nothing now.  It was like another life, and he wasn't even a century old.  They were still alive, they were still closed-minded, they still wanted nothing to do with him and he hadn't cared less.  It was a shame to have lumped Mick in with them.  For that he was sorry.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »
"Ahh, you've got a guy," Mick said with interest, shifting his weight so that he was sitting farther forward, leaning on his elbows.  "You know, for the record I don't agree with our parents, I don't give a shit that you like dick.  I just hated the way I lost my big brother when you left," the younger Samson asserted and in this he was being honest.

"I always wondered what happened to you, I missed having you around.  Our parents, I reckon they don't like anyone, really - I'm surprised they're still fuckin' married to each other, personally.  I had a girlfriend a couple of years ago and they didn't like her, either.  Kept telling me what bad news she was, didn't care how I felt about her - like they're so hoity toity better than everyone!  When I got her pregnant they couldn't wait to tell me how she'd done it on purpose, to trap me into marrying her," Mick scoffed, shaking his head and looking disgusted with the whole situation.

He gnawed on the inside of his lip and gave Ben a thoughtful look before he continued.  "Prob'ly should've listened to 'em.  Now I'm stuck making child payments I can't afford for a kid the bitch never lets me see anyway.  It's made me way more careful with my current girlfriend - at least Mum and Dad never had to worry about bastards with you!" he brayed laughter, leaning across the table to swipe Ben on the shoulder to accompany his joke.  He sobered quickly, attempting to look respectfully at his older brother.  "Well, unless you and your guy are into gay parenting and all that, which is totally cool, if that's what you want!" he assured supportively, his hands splayed towards Ben.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2013, 10:42:31 PM »
Ben was so shocked by all of the things Mick said that he was relieved when he was saved from having to say anything because the waitress approached their table.  He ordered a flat white instead of a short black because he'd forgotten his previous thought.  With barely a few breaths, Mick had told him that his parents were still the hateful creatures they'd been as he remembered, that Mick had a baby(!) that Ben now was the uncle for (a nephew or niece? he didn't know) and wasn't sure if Mick had married her and then divorced or was paying child support because of the familial connection alone.  Then there was that joke - was it a joke? it was in severely poor taste, but Mick seemed to be full of that - with a justification at the end.

He invited Mick to order food off the menu, if he wanted to eat, but that Ben had dined earlier.  It was after the waitress left them with her order that Ben finally commented, and it was about his own situation, since that was the last thing Mick had commented on.

"He and I aren't together anymore," he said, and before Mick could make any disparaging remarks about Kerr thinking that they'd split up, he added the reason for it.  "He died."

It was starting to get easier to explain this, as he repeated it to people over and over again, and he didn't know whether to think of this as positive or be dismayed by it.  He felt a little of both, which was confusing.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2013, 03:26:05 PM »
Mick ordered two toasted sandwiches and a chocolate milkshake off the menu because the way Ben invited him to order had sounded like he was going to be paying for it so Mick would take his chance to get a full stomach while he could.  If he was wrong about that, he figured he could do the old 'forgot my wallet' trick when it came time and his big brother would take care of it anyway.  If that didn't work they'd just have to do a runner (but he was sure his pretty-boy sibling wouldn't let it come to that).

"Aw shit man, that sucks, I'm sorry," he said sadly when told Ben's partner had died.  He hoped it hadn't been from AIDS or some sort of contagious disease.  "What happened?  Were you together long?"  Mick was mildly curious about the gay lifestyle insofar as it was supposedly promiscuous.  He had no prior beliefs or associations with regard to Ben but, looking at him now, it didn't seem like a match.  He looked far too uptight to be out there swinging it about for an endless score of guys to take a stab at, but they hadn't seen each other in nearly nine years so what would he know?  Plus, Ben was a model and that was supposed to be another sex-rich environment.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2013, 08:25:53 PM »
"It was sudden.  A travelling... accident," he said, shaking his head to indicate he neither knew the specifics nor wanted to get into it.  He figured Mick would assume the latter rather than the former.  Most people got word of how their loved ones died, of course.  "I met him when I was nineteen."

but it took a few years for us to get together

He didn't need to say that, to cheapen his experience with Kerr, to minimilise the love he felt for him.  What did it matter if he added a few more years together that they hadn't properly had?  He wished it, he'd lost three years of it, and it was a shitty reward to claim a longer relationship but he was claiming it anyway.

"What about this baby of yours?  A boy or a girl?"  Ben found he was interested, and he leapt on that.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 11:32:10 AM »
Mick's lips twisted thoughtfully and he scratched absently at his chin as Ben told him his guy had died during a travelling accident.  What, he got run over by a cable car or fell off a touring train or something?  It sounded suspicious to him but he couldn't say that, it'd be rude.

"Ah, so... seven years together," Mick calculated, knowing his big brother was twenty-seven.  He nodded but, again, didn't feel it was appropriate to comment on a relationship Ben was obviously not super keen to talk about.  He guessed it hadn't been very long since the guy had died, from the way Ben was being so tender about it - of course, a relationship that lasted that long was beyond Mick's scope of understanding, so for all he knew it had been a while ago and Ben just hadn't recovered yet.  Intellectually, he understood that could happen, even if it wasn't something he'd experienced emotionally.

His face brightened at Ben's question about his kid and he fished his phone out of his jacket pocket, clicking through it to get to his pictures while he answered.  "A boy, Maximus.  He's nearly five now but this is a picture of him and his mother, T'Liesha, the day he was a born.  If you swipe forwards, you'll get to pictures of him now," Mick instructed, handing the phone over.  "I don't see him much, because of T'Liesha.  The bitch," he muttered darkly.

Ben would see pictures of a relatively attractive African American girl holding a tightly-swaddled baby with cocoa brown skin and tight black curls in the first picture.  T'Liesha was seventeen when Maximus was born but without makeup she looked barely fifteen in the first photo.  She appeared regularly in the first few photos, made up and covered with jewellery, looking progressively older and more tired despite her youth.

When the photos with T'Liesha stopped, there were two photos featuring Ben's parents with Maximus at about a year of age.  His mother was smiling at the camera both times, his father looking unimpressed in the first (while his wife held Maximus) but happier in the second as he stood in the Samson's living room, Maximus' fat little fingers wrapped around his extended index fingers, teaching him to walk (with Ben's mother smiling from behind).

After that there were just photos of Maximus getting older, either taken at parks, the house Ben grew up in (because Mick took Maximus over to visit his grandparents whenever he got visitation) or a variety of dingy-looking apartments.  Maximus was seen sitting on various swings, push cars, a tricycle and a bicycle later on, smiling broadly at his father with full red lips and rounded cheeks.  His eyes had lightened as he grew, proving unequivocally that Mick was his father with their light blue hue.  Combined with his brown skin and thick, curly brown hair, his unique colouring ensured that he would turn heads when he was older.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
He didn't feel any emotion as he looked at the photos.  Dear God, what was wrong with him?  Did he have some kind of socially inept disease?  He was hearing the term Asperger's Syndrome being thrown around like it was confetti nowadays, but he didn't think he had inability to recognise social cues.  He was an over-analyser, not under.  So what did that make him?

Neurotic.

No, he had to stop mentally beating himself up.  It had been a long time since he'd been here in his mind.  He'd grown into quite a confident, aware and much less self-absorbed individual under Kerr's influence.  He liked the person he'd become, when he'd been with Kerr.  It would be stupid to let himself slide backwards without a fight.  So no, he wasn't connecting with his brother right now, and he wasn't invested in the life of his child and his ex-girlfriend, and he didn't even have the hatred that he used to have for his parents - especially his mother, because his father had always been an ignorant fuck, while she should've known better and she'd chosen him over her own son.  Huh, guess he did have some resentment still burning in him over that after all.

He took a deep breath and handed the phone back.

"It must've been weird as fuck," Ben said, using the brashness of Mick's earlier profanity to embolden his own words, "seeing me in that magazine.  It's weird for me too, you calling me out from nowhere, and I guess you've had some time to get used to the idea of meeting up.  But it's... so much has happened to both of us.  When I left home everything was fresh and raw, so I tried to put it out of my mind, and I think I did, you know?  I think after over ten years, I managed to bury it pretty good."  He cocked his head sideways and frowned lightly at Mick.  "Sorry."

He was sorry.  It was genuine.  He was feeling lost and out of touch because he was.  He could've contacted Mick at some point, could've met him at their old school, could've given him a brother to talk to instead of walking out of his life forever like he'd walked out on their parents.  He'd left him with no looking back, with the excuse that he wouldn't disappoint the way Ben had.  Dumb thing was, he might've, and Ben wouldn't have known.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »
Mick's expression became regretful and he nodded gently.  "It is what it is, I get it.  But yeah, it was a spinout seeing you in that magazine; I could barely believe my eyes, especially after so many years.  I never forgot I had a brother, don't get me wrong but... " he broke off with a shrug, letting the genuine emotions of confusion and loss he'd felt as a young child come to the fore in his eyes, "you left when I was little.  Right when I could have used brotherly advice and all that shit.  Mum and Dad were weird as fuck after you left; fighting all the time.  I thought for sure she'd bring you back, but she never did."

He fell quiet, his mouth twisting with the sorrow he'd felt at losing Ben (and perhaps a little resentment too), showing how he'd been truly affected both by Ben leaving and the aftermath of the family disharmony the older Samson had left in his wake.  "I worried about you.  Used to dream about you - well, have nightmares, really.  Especially after I found out about the truth behind all that gas leak bullshit and what really went down," Mick snorted, shifting in his seat so that he was leaning back once more.  His eyes narrowed slightly at Ben, clearly recalling his brother's obsession with vampires.  He'd met a shifter a couple of years back and found out a lot more than he'd bargained on; he was gambling Ben knew just as much (if not more) than he did.

By the same token, letting his opportunity to really bring home Ben's guilt and turn him into putty escape in favour of having a suspicion confirmed was a risk - but he only thought that after he'd started on this track.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2013, 09:50:51 PM »
Guilt was felt enough with Mick's words.  Being told about the fallout wasn't a surprise but it still hit him hard.  He should've checked in, and on the heels of thinking this and being told he'd been missed... it was nauseating.  The guilt amplified and he started feeling a twisting in his gut.  The twisting turned into something else when Mick's conversation turned to a different path, and Ben wasn't sure if he'd been saved or gone into a new kind of hell.  He was thinking about his eyes, which he should've hidden with coloured contacts.  Really, he had to get around to doing that.

"What kind of truth is that?" he asked casually, before realising his mistake.  It was too casual for someone who'd been as obsessed about vampires as he'd been back in the day.  He'd lived and breathed vampire culture, to the dismay of his parents who'd eventually tried to blame his being gay on the 'dark obsession with satanic things', which had only driven a further wedge between them.  Of course if he was mortal he would've been more keen to find out what Mick knew, and in so many words.  He'd have leant forward, a grin on his face, and demanded to know what Mick was talking about, specifically.  This pretense of an exterior had been the wrong path to take, even for someone who he'd been separated from for over a decade.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 10:11:54 PM »
Again, Mick snorted and quirked a single eyebrow at his brother, his disbelieiving expression accompanied by a cautious half smile and a head tilt that declared he wasn't entirely sure whether to trust what he was hearing or not.

"The truth you always seemed to be waiting to be told - that all that weird shit you were into is real.  Especially your precious vampires," he smirked, his tone almost mocking in its triumph.  Belatedly, he thought to glance around the coffee shop and check they were out of earshot of anyone else but even though they weren't a long way from everyone, no-one was paying them any mind that he could see.

"I met a guy a few years ago and we became good buddies.  He's a shifter and he's told me a lot of stuff," Mick hinted, his eyes widening as he nodded very unsubtly at his brother.  He figured Ben was just playing possum and would have to confess he knew what Mick was getting at now.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 08:42:56 PM »
Nobody was listening, Ben already knew that, but he was relieved that Mick checked - albeit a little late.  His brows lifted slightly when he was told about Mick's 'good buddy the shifter', and he wondered if that meant Michael Samson had his own file right behind Ben's one in the drawers.  He went off on a tangent in his thoughts for a moment, wondering who had the hard copy files now - it should really be Conner at the Ward - before addressing the expectant expression directed at him.

"I found out the truth some years ago," he said, seeing no harm in admitting it.  It might be that Mick had looked at Ben and known from the first second (thanks to his eyes) that he was now a supernatural, but he'd been playing his knowledge far cooller than Ben gave him credit for.  He thought it would be wise not to go into specifics.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 09:09:30 PM »
Something about the way he replied gave Mick pause and his gaze was drawn to Ben's mountain-lake light blue eyes yet again.  Yeah, his brother more than knew what was what; a tingle of understanding shivered down Mick's spine and he stuck his tongue out to swipe his lips but ended up biting on it thoughtfully as he watched Ben.  The silence stretched between them but the younger sibling wasn't made uncomfortable by it as he stared and thought, contemplating all the repercussions of what he was considering.

"How many years ago?" he enquired, sensing it was the right question to ask but not sure why.  Ben hadn't come right out and said it but Mick was willing to play along.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 09:20:48 PM »
He could feel the connection Mick was making.  It was eerie, he'd never been able to read a thought process before.  Maybe it was because they were brothers, but that didn't make sense since Ben was no longer the same species, with the same blood.  Whatever it was, he could feel Mick's thoughts sliding into place, like a jigsaw, and he was beginning to step back in order to take a better look at what was being assembled.  He wondered if this was the sensation he'd given vampires when he'd wandered around Risk with his loud thoughts.  But no, he was smarter - perhaps a lofty view, but accurate.  He'd thirsted for education in a way that his brother hadn't.  He'd thought about things in a way his brother didn't.  Of course Mick could've changed from the kind of inattentive kid he'd been, but Ben doubted it.  Just look at the problems he was having now.  He was a clear product of his socio-economic upbringing.  Ben had clawed his way out of it.  Another thing to feel a little guilty about.  Survivor's guilt, ha.

"I was nineteen when a room-mate told me," he said, wondering why he was still trying to throw his brother off the scent.  Really, what did it matter when he already knew?  "He went to this club called Risk all the time."

He watched Mick's face, trying to keep himself open for more of those connection feelings.  It had been tingly in the brain, kind of like his nose used to feel before a sneeze.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 11:29:30 PM »
The name of the club stirred a vague memory for Mick but nothing that came to the surface for indentification immediately.  He pulled his tongue in and twisted his mouth to the side, momentarily distracted as the waitress returned with food.  He gave her a nod of thanks as she set their orders down, waiting until she was gone before he said anything to Ben.

"Nineteen was when you met your boyfriend.  You meet him at this club?" he enquired, watching his brother intently as he picked up one of his sandwiches and took a bite.  He wasn't too worried about keeping his mouth closed when he chewed.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 11:44:46 AM »
"Yes," Ben said.  There didn't seem to be a lot of recognition about Risk, which meant that Mick had probably learned more about shifters than anything else.  If this good buddy of his had been forthcoming with information, then he might've spoken about the other kinds of supernaturals in this city, but he also might have been aware of the 'don't say too much' rule, which had ensnared him and Kerr in its vice-like jaws and caused them a lot of trouble at the start.

He doubted he'd get into trouble over this.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »
Mick decided quickly that he didn't want to play poker with his big brother; the dude kept things very close to his chest and his expression was entirely too difficult to read.  He was not so coy, nor anywhere near patient enough to wait out this game.  Not when he didn't see the point and there were many other potential prizes up for grabs.

"And he was a vampire," Mick stated quietly, not bothering to look around as he stared into those pretty blue eyes.  In deciding to show his hand, his memory connected as he spoke - he remembered what the deal with Risk was.  His buddy had shuddered about the place because it was a hangout for vampires and their food.  Ben had always been into vampires specifically, so it all made sense at once.

His brother was a motherfucking vampire.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 08:36:27 PM »
Ben smiled.  He couldn't help it.  It wasn't a reaction he'd expected to have!  But here he was, smiling at Mick and feeling like the Cheshire Cat who'd grinned at Alice when she'd been puzzling over his riddles.  He hadn't meant to dangle the prize in front of Mick that way, he was just being cautious.  Mick had guessed though, he'd figured it out, he already knew, so now - armed with this knowledge - Ben felt free to admit it.

"Yes," he said, still grinning like an idiot.  He knew his fangs weren't showing, because of practise, practise, practise, but rarely did people smile with their mouths so wide open anyway.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2013, 09:02:17 PM »
"Huh," Mick grunted, his expression wry as he looked over his brother's smile.  Yeah, now they both knew what was what.  "You actually fucking did it," he breathed, unsure why he was so amazed when it'd been something he'd assumed as inevitable when he'd met his shifter friend - his first thought had been of Ben when he was told about all the shit skulking around in this city.  He put it down to little brother awe; apparently it didn't matter how old they got, he could still be impressed by how cool his big brother was.

"Grats, man, seriously.  What's it like?  Everything you dreamed?" he asked curiously, tilting his head to take more bites of his food while leaning over his plate.  His gaze lowered as Ben spoke, taking in the pallor of Ben's skin, the smoothness of it (which could be put down to a solid moisturising regimen) and the way his chest only moved when he was sucking in breath to talk.    Then of course there were those clearwater eyes.  He should've known from the start, in hindsight.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »
"Yes, everything I wanted and more.  It doesn't take away life problems, though.  Just makes different ones."  He shrugged, but the smile was still on his face.  "I barely remember what it was like, before," he admitted.  He remembered alright, but it felt like a dream, or that his life had been happening to someone else.  Even his journals weren't useful to him anymore.  He'd started creating a new one - a digital notepad of all the things he still wanted to find out.

He figured Mick might have more comments or questions, so gave him the time to do it.  Speaking through mouthfuls of food was beginning to bug him, though.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 12:54:00 AM »
Being told that Ben's former 'living' life as a human was barely remembered drew a frown from Mick but he did his best to lose it as he went for a drink of his shake.  There was a distance between them now, though, and Mick was acutely aware of his brother's superior attitude.  It was like everything was suddenly better and he was too good to worry about thinking about what life had been like before he got himself changed into a blood-drinking fiend.  Definitely too good to worry about the people he'd left behind.

After a few noisy sucks through his straw, Mick lowered his shake glass and swirled his straw in it, wanting to mix the ice cream through while he thought.  "Yeah?" he asked smoothly, raising his eyebrows at Ben and feeling defensive even though he was trying not to look it.  "What sort of problems you got now?  You're going to live forever, right?  Always look as young as you do while the rest of us get old, wrinkly and die.  And you can just hypnotise people into giving you stuff if you want it, no need for money, right?  What problems could you possibly have?" he challenged, intrigued.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2013, 05:36:51 PM »
Ben noticed the tiny frown and realised his faux pas but not the magnitude of it.  He correctly guessed Mick hadn't liked the 'barely remember' comment, but it was just Ben's way of saying things were so different it was uncomparable.  If he'd known Mick's thinking went along the grounds of superiority, he would've been frustrated and disappointed with himself.  Because Mick then moved on to talking about it, Ben didn't think there was a hiccup of perception.

"You're right, I don't have to worry about getting sick, or dying in normal ways," he said, allowing for a pause so Mick would understand there was still death - as Ben had admitted when they'd first got the conversation going.  "But I can't do a lot of things the older ones do, even if trained all night, every night.  I'm too young.  There's also a lot more rules and politics, if you mis-step, you can be executed.  None of this 'fair trial' stuff.  Things out of the pages of medieval lore, do medieval things."  He chuckled softly, at his own joke.  It wasn't anything he expected Mick to laugh at.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2013, 09:27:42 PM »
Mick squinted thoughtfully at Ben, weighing his words carefully.  He did this mainly because he didn't want to speak hastily or too harshly and throw his brother offside, he'd snapped a response at people without thinking before and it had never ended well; this needed to be done right, with uncharacteristic finesse, if he wanted to keep hope of receiving the reward he sought alive.  Resentment burned in him that Ben was trying to make his situation sound so bad, but a minute or so ago he'd told Mick that being a vampire was everything he'd ever dreamed and more, so he couldn't be too badly off, even if the politics of his kind saw him facing death rather than legal ramifications.  He was sure his uptight brother never set a foot wrong to run any risks in the first place, so what problems could he have?

"Is that what really happened to your boyfriend?" he guessed, having been suspicious about the whole 'travelling accident' story from the beginning.  That was before he'd figured out the guy was a vampire and had no doubt made Ben one too.  'Travelling accident' sounded like a cotton candy cover story for 'got his head cut off medieval style because he did shit wrong' to Mick; he was okay with being told the truth, though.  He was marginally interested in what a vampire had to do in order to get punished and it seemed his clean-cut, pretty-boy brother had a thing for bad boys who ran afoul of the law.  He'd been there himself, though putting Ben in place of the girls who'd found his juvie record titillating was weird on too many levels to give it much brain power.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2013, 09:10:12 PM »
He was shocked that Mick had ventured down this path.  There was no reason to lie about Kerr's death, though in hindsight - at the suspicious way Mick asked about it - made him realise that he could've been covering something up.  It could've been an assassination - because that happened to all manner of political leaders, it could've been an execution - because Mick didn't know Ben's partner had been the leader (and back then, they'd got into trouble so it had been possible).

"No, no," Ben said softly, and pressed his lips together for a moment as he dealt with the odd surge of emotion in his chest and then continued once it washed away.  His voice reflected none of that pain, he was grateful to find.  "He was travelling to Europe, and something happened on the way, or soon after he arrived.  I... I don't know what it was.  I was asleep, but he was gone when I woke up."  He said it quietly, not thinking about what his words implied and not caring.  Telling Mick about it didn't seem as bad as telling other people.

Surprising.