Author Topic: The VIP Table  (Read 8621 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
The VIP Table
« on: February 09, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
The Black Prince strut into Ventrure, looking like punk had never died, and bringing the Nineteen-Eighties along with him. He loved a good entrance, and made sure that the Central District had one as they entered the Elysium of a rival turf. Well maybe not rivals, at least Jake hoped not or this was all a waste of time. He had a certain spring in his step, a sophisticated soft-shoe that made him almost glide across the floor. He had come to party, and had made sure he had the tools to do it. A group of about twenty humans and four vampires entered the club around opening time, quickly whisking to the second floor and being seated at VIP table. A few of the humans skittered about so the final seat count was a healthy twelve. The party was made up of White Rabbit regulars, and they seemed content to party whatever bar they were in.

Jake himself had dressed in dark denim jeans, with large motorcycle boots and a white t-shirt with several holes torn through it. A black leather jacket covered in silver studs covered the shirt and his hair had rather expertly been made into a Swoophawk, the Mohawk slowly folding down into Jake's signature bang swoop. The fade on the side helped to make the volume even greater, and black nails and eyeliner completed his punk boy fantasy. He was holding his gold cigarette case, and played with the latch as he laughed at one of his accompanying Brujah's jokes. The place looked good, the aesthetics crushing the rabbit on any day of the week. The vibe however was far to chill, and the volume coming from Jake's table had several mortals and Kindred alike going, "Is the Jake McCloud's table?" Good. Let them speculate and gossip. He wanted people to know he was here.

The District Leader had only come one other time to Venture and it had been a disaster. Scott had actually waved a gun around, and all because Bryant had kissed Conner. Conner. His face soured a bit. It had reminded him of why he'd had to go this route to get Charon's attention. Ben.

If Ben had been less of a horrible person he could've arranged this for Jake, and he would've been rewarded greatly for it. Instead, he'd filled Jake's head with doubts, and weakness and right when he poured on the last bit of gas, he'd lit Jake on fire. Jake had almost killed him for it. He'd stopped though, because he was trying to not be that guy anymore. He was trying to be better than his normal, violent self. He'd let him go completely unharmed, and hadn't even Dominated him. Jake had gone soft, and if he could do it again he would've taken one of Ben's arm. It happened the way it happened and Jake had decided to move on. Lazarus would soon be tasked with destroying Ben's life somehow. That would be a fitting punishment. He'd come early because he wanted to start filling the place up a bit. He'd heard that Ben came early, and if he did oh well. What would he do? He doubted Charon would throw Jake out and risk a political conflict. If Ben wished to speak he'd have to come over and talk to him, and since he thought so little of Jake that was unlikely to happen.

He shook that toxic little power leach out of his mind, and returned to the club. He'd be finding a snack soon. He wanted to try the private rooms. When in Rome right? However, he more looked for the eye of the owners, The Sacramentum. It seemed time for a talk, and Jake figured bringing him some business might grease the wheel. He'd never met Charon, but had heard stories about his mysterious powers and his Nosferatu like appearance. He had no idea what he would be like, and made zero assumptions. He only knew it was time the men had a face to face. His accompanying party was prepared for a long night of booze, games, and for the vampires feeding. He stretched back, throwing his arms behind his head. It felt like a good night. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: The VIP Table
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »
Dressed in an indigo button down shirt (top three buttons undone), tight black jeans and steel-capped engineer boots, Ben also touched lightly on the punk look, but only lightly in order to give himself an edge on his business-ish attire. He wanted to appeal without intimidating any would-be donors.

Upon his arrival in Venture, Ben saw and said hello to Jason at the front door, relieved that the gorgeous Asian bouncer still had a job. Jason informed him that Powell was also still employed, though he’d been forced to take time off without pay for a couple of weeks. Ben thought he was lucky and they both chatted for a while about the latest science-fiction flick to come out, comparing notes on the differences of the book vs the movie.

Upon entering, Ben could sense there were already a few vampires inside (other than the Sacramentum), unusual to have so many so early. Mortals weren't lining up outside yet, but they were filling up the lounge very quickly, many of them going upstairs. There were no vacant seats on the lower level so Ben climbed the stairs to the nightclub proper. As soon as he reached the top, he turned towards the VIP section, which had the best view of the floor. He was almost at it when he realised Jake was already there.

He froze, not wanting to attract the other's attention before he was also seen. Just as Jake locked eyes with him, Charon spoke into his mind.

Ben, is something wrong? Everyone felt your tension from down here.

Everyone? Who was everyone? It was possible the Sacramentum were having a gathering in a private room. It was embarrassing that he was sending mental ripples of emotion out. It meant Jake had probably felt it too. He clamped his mind shut.

I'm coming upstairs.

Ah, fuck. He wanted to say 'no, don't' but didn't dare. He stood where he was, waiting for the wall panel behind Jake to open. It hadn't been that long ago Charon had used it to meet up with a nymph called Zeph. As he waited, Ben's gaze kept finding Jake even though he didn't want to look at him.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »
Jake caught Ben's gaze within a few moments of the younger vampire spotting him. He looked right through the boy, as if an interesting statue had sprung up behind an invisible body. He turned his head back easily to his party of friends, who were currently betting money who could snag a human first. He laughed and mocked one vampire, indicating his preference for the others. The humans with them were all rabbit blood dolls, sexy dancers, musicians, runaways. They were tasty little morsels the type of which each had a story. Ben would not disrupt his night, and he let his enthusiasm for his crowd send the message. Then there was that ripple, pinging Jake's mind like emotional sonar. Ben really should've listened when Jake had talked about Fortitude. He sucked at it.

He suppressed a laugh at Ben's expense, but quickly felt a much stronger presence coming. A tinge of fear overtook him, the aura powerful and older than even Lazarus. He could not tell what Charon said mentally to Ben, his power being imperceptible to one as young as Jake, but he could feel a connection between them, and Jake's heart sunk into his stomach. Maybe Charon really would throw him out. That would suck. He waited, trying to look jolly despite his growing anxiety.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2019, 03:24:56 PM »
The hidden door opened and Charon appeared in the VIP section, at the back. The wall panel closed behind him and Ben was beckoned over. The ancient had no patience for the story to be told to him, he wanted to know immediately.

Let me touch you, he said in Ben's mind, gesturing for the youngling to come over.

Ben had to walk past Jake's table. Cautiously, he moved past the vampire guarding the VIP section, then between two empty tables, then past Jake's rowdy table (and he meant to keep his eyes fixed ahead, but on the way past he slipped up and his gaze found the District Leader and skittered over to him before looking back), then past another few empty tables, then past this random couple kissing passionately, then he reached Charon. He reached out for the Ancient's hand but Charon snatched it back. Ben looked up at him.

You know how I like to look at memories, Charon chastised. Ben got the impression that Charon was annoyed with him, and he wondered what his panic signals had interrupted downstairs. Feeling like everybody in the area was watching but only caring about what Charon thought of him, Ben pressed his lips to the Ancient's own.

He could feel Charon holding him around his waist, and also him searching through his memories until he found the one that had set Ben off. The one where he'd been in the limo with Jake. As the kiss deepened, Charon felt Ben's anxiety, his fear, his contempt and his anger as the memory progressed. Once Ben stepped out of the car, Charon broke the kiss and frowned at the youngling.

You were stupid. You risked your life for nothing.

Ashamed and humiliated, Ben lowered his head and looked at the floor. He wanted the floor to eat him up.

Come, Charon said, and walked to Jake's table. Ben closed his eyes momentarily, and followed.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »
Jake felt Charon behind him, and his muscles tensed. He swallowed and turned his gaze, actually meeting Ben's eyes as he passed, a small communication of, what the...

He didn't witness the kiss, bur somehow he felt it. Jake had mastered some basic techniques of second sight, but it was clear Charon was a master. He wanted to turn and witness it, but was frozen between thinking it might be rude, and afraid of what he might witness. When it ended, he relaxed a little, even as he felt the pair of them approach. He turned, a polite smile on. It was show time.

"Charon, it's an honor to meet you." He bowed his head, a rare sign of respect from Jake. He even gave the man top gaze, making his just a tad lower. He wasn't sure how old fashioned Charon would be, but most had trouble giving up the old ways, and Jake had found it was always the better side of relations to give deference to ancients. Except Lazarus. Jake liked telling him off, and getting told off by him. His party knew that the big guys were talking and more quietly chatted, stealing glances at Charon, Jake, Ben, Charon again, etc.

"Ben," the Ventrue said neutrally, returning his eyes to Charon right away. His next thought would be guarded to most any vampire. Jake had long ago sealed his mind to outsiders, but if Charon was listening past those defenses he'd hear an angry thought.

Why doesBen have to be here?
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 03:56:21 PM »
"The honour is also mine," Charon replied, casting Jake as someone of equal standing. When Ben was addressed by Jake, Charon reached a hand out to the blonde vampire and gripped the back of his neck, forcing him closer to Jake. Ben thought he was brought there to apologise and so he opened his mouth to say words to that affect, but then Charon put pressure on him and Ben found himself forced onto his knees, in front of where Jake stood, staring at his crotch, no less. It was humiliating.

Nobody said anything for a long moment, then Charon spoke.

"Know your place, Ben."

"I'm sorry," Ben told Jake's belt buckle. He was mortified. He'd thought Charon was going to stick up for him, telling Jake not to touch a vampire in his favour. He hadn't expected to be pressed onto his knees in front of the fucktard poser.

Charon continued looking at Jake, to see how the other vampire was taking this display.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 04:25:13 PM »
Jake was pleased and humbled by Charon's show of respect. He gave him a more genuine smile, and even closed the distance between them a bit, until he saw Ben coming towards him so quickly. He didn't know right away what was happening so as Ben fell to his knees it took him a few moments to register the fealty. It was refreshing to see Ben in such a position and he didn't dare try to suppress a cruel smirk. It gave way to a more satisfied look and a slight adjustment to his hair. Jake pulled back his swoop to show his other eye, and now both stared at Ben. He raised his hands into the shape of a picture frame, and then spoke.

"Now I see the appeal," he sneered, the meaning of his taunt not present just from the words. He had a somewhat predatory stance, the alpha male coming back a bit from the limo. As Ben apologized, Jake decided to accept. It was not for Ben's sake, but Charon had chose to bring him to his knees and he wanted to show his supporter respect.

"Your humiliation is enjoyable," he complimented. "I accept your apology Ben." Why Charon had chosen this course of action he did not know, but he was inclined to do whatever the man wanted at this point.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2019, 04:41:54 PM »
"I applaud your quick mercy," Charon complimented, looking from Ben (who he agreed looked lovely on his knees) to his fellow District Leader and peer, Jake McCloud. "But I fear it will not teach this youngling respect. He offers it willingly to Ancients but not to those with status. He should not have lashed out at you like a child. So, I would like to offer him to you, to do with what you will, until he learns his place without being forced."

"What?" Ben leapt to his feet, unhindered. "No!" Disgust, humiliation, confusion and fear poured off him in waves. He was too distraught to block any of it. "You can't pimp me out to him. What about Kerr?"

"Kerr has acknowledged he owes me a favour," Charon said.

Ben's face crumpled as he realised that Charon wasn't going to change his mind. This was going to happen.

"Why would you do this to me? You know my history."

"Which is why it's a fitting punishment." Charon raised an imperious brow. "Are you defying me, Benjamen Samson?"

"If you do this - " Ben began, but could only finish in his head. Our relationship will be broken. This will always be between us.

We had an agreement, not a relationship. Kerr has always been between us.

Ben and Charon stared at one another as their argument went silent.

Please. Don't do this.

I have to fix the relationship you have broken with Jake McCloud. You represented me and you failed me.

I'm sorry. Can't I make it up to you instead of him?

I was not the one slighted.

Eventually, after what seemed like an age, Ben croaked: "Alright."

Charon glanced now at Jake and sent him a message. The baritone of his mental voice was strong, unlike the whispery gravel of his actual voice. When he is finally returned, whenever that may be, I would appreciate him to look as he does now. I will handle his sire.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2019, 05:01:53 PM »
Jake watched the exchange, arms crossed. The mental ping pong was fascinating and he couldn't help but smile as Ben accepted his fate. A low belly laugh escaped and he looked at Ben, the cruel face back on.

"Looks like an Anarch life for you Bennie Boy."  He wondered what on earth Ben could be used for. How personal would he make this? Was this all a test from Charon? Jake didn't like being unsure for long, and so he was relieved when Charon's request came through mental communication. He found himself drawn to the voice, and nodded somewhat absently.

He will not come into harm while in my care. I promise you.

He owed Charon a return on his good nature, and while ordering Ben around had a fantastic sound to it, he knew in the end he would need to come back in one piece. He would also send a message to Kerr. In some ways he felt forced to accept, and he would depend on those feelings when writing to Ben's sire. In truth, he was thrilled by the arrangement. Charon knew the old ways,  and that alone gave Jake another reason to respect the leader of the east and south districts. He wondered if he should make him blood bond during it. Naw. Ben's peasant stalk wasn't good enough for the blueblood's blood.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2019, 05:08:34 PM »
Well, not permanent harm, Charon countered. I'm surprised you didn't strike him in the car. I would have dealt him a mental bolt of pain for the cheek he gave. I hope this arrangement demonstrates that I wish for us to have a sound alliance?

Charon slowly blinked at Jake. He understood cruelty as well, and ruthlessness. From Ben's mind he'd learnt what he'd suffered at the hands of another, just as cruel, Ancient. But no, Ben had learnt nothing. It was... disappointing.

Ben turned his head at the taunt Jake gave and said nothing. He looked as miserable as he felt.

Charon held out his hand, for Jake to either shake or kiss. It would be interesting to see what the other vampire chose.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2019, 05:15:28 PM »
Well now, this deal kept getting better. Jake might end up getting to beat up Ben a little after all. Why did that idea excite him? He looked at Ben with a new intensity, and took off his jacket, revealing just the holy shirt. He tossed it onto the table and crossed to Charon. Ben had kissed him, and he wondered what Charon might see in him. He also remembered the kiss he'd demanded from Lazarus. He had done it in honor of the old ways, and since Charon had chosen a strong, old punishment, it had to be sealed like it would've been when these deals were first made.  It had to be a kiss.

He didn't fear it for the other vampire's looks. Such things didn't matter in moments like this. He did take a hand, but moved closer so Charon would know it was coming.

"I look forward to it," he said in response to a request for alliance, and flashed Charon the fae like smirk that had drawn Lazarus to suckle on his lip. He moved in and placed his lips to Charon's.

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2019, 05:25:58 PM »
Charon assumed Jake might go as far as to give him the papal 'kiss the ring' but he closed in for something a great deal more intimate and striking. It was something that Charon was surprised by and impressed with, for the kiss did more than connect their lips, it connected their minds. It was permission, of a kind, for Charon to look. His hands wrapped around Jake and pressed firmly at his back.

He touched a few things, highlighting the more positive moments in Jake's life - but he couldn't help looking at the sexual refusal by Kerr.

Interesting. Potentially Charon might have made a mistake handing Ben so freely to Jake, if jealousy was lurking. But still, Ben had been foolish and had represented himself, the Academy and the Sacramentum Et Res unfavourably. He had to learn. And pay.

He broke the kiss and sent encouraging thoughts of gratitude and pleasure. Ben, meanwhile, had looked away, unable to watch the deal as it was finalised.

"If you'll excuse me, I must return to business. Please, you may stay as long as you wish."

When Charon left them, moving back to the wall panel and using the secret door, Ben watched him go with a sinking heart. Once Charon was gone, he looked at Jake, wondering if the humiliation and punishment would begin from the first second or more privately.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »
Jake felt something magnetic in the kiss, his mind was connected with Charon, and while he didn't stare he did feel him. It was pleasant and Jake understood why Ben would want to connect with him. It was a little spiritual. When it ended, Jake slowly returned to the room, his party of followers just open mouthed and fixated on the scene. He gave Charon a boyish look, feeling his mortal and vampire age compared to the elder. "Thank you for your hospitality and your justice. I'll be in touch." He gave one more bow, a monarchist to the end.

He turned to Ben, a mask of pleasure covering his overall hatred. "Come sit with me and chat Ben," he said even temperately. He didn't want to start off too harsh, but a small part of him hoped Ben would tell him to go fuck himself. He cracked his knuckles just in case, and took his original seat.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 05:38:24 PM »
Unlike the whole time in the limo, Ben didn't look Jake in the eye as he was spoken to. He kept his gaze a little off centre, on Jake's ear. He nodded agreement and sat where Jake wanted him to sit. He was obediant, but still in shock. Kerr. He wasn't going to go home to Kerr. The Academy! Hmn, he was pretty sure Jake would want him to continue work there, but what if he wasn't allowed to move it away for years? He'd been planning a trip to Asia with his sire. That was out the window. He had no idea what Jake was going to do with him, but he figured it would be painful. He hung around gangs that looked like head-stompers, so yeah, Ben wondered how many of his bones Jake would break.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
Jake snapped his fingers and shooed away his companions. The whole party rose and spread out through the bar, leaving Jake and Ben to talk. Jake fixed his hair so his eye was covered, pretending to only half be aware of Ben. After another long silence, Jake bizarrely started with, "So how are you feeling about all this?" This was a question to poke at his gooey insides. He didn't really care how he felt, but buy gosh it was fun to ask. 

He moved their bodies nearer. They weren't touching but there was a new found closeness on Jake's end, and he said in a softer voice than Bed had yet heard from him, "I think this is going to work out greaaaaaaaat." He giggled and pulled himself back, waiting to hear however Ben was going to respond.

The leather jacket was now worn like a snuggle blanket, and he had a certain cuteness of his physical age. Only his eyes read as so much older. It was the time buried in them. He wondered if Ben could see that.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.