Author Topic: Merry-Go-Round  (Read 6081 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Merry-Go-Round
« on: February 10, 2019, 01:31:08 PM »
Below ground, once he was beneath the White Rabbit, it finally hit Ben full-force that this was happening again. He'd been handed over to another vampire as a

plaything / sex slave
no, Jake doesn't want that from me
he's not Declan
worse, he's worse, he's a

consolation prize. Ben's legs gave under him and he fell to his knees, pain shooting up them from the floor as he pitched forward and retched, gripping his stomach. Absolutely nothing came up but black spots danced in his vision anyway and he had to shoot out a hand to not faceplant onto the floor.

He'll think you're being dramatic
Get up, Ben, get up, Ben, GET UP!

"Sorry," he croaked, and unsteadily found his feet (he couldn't tell if he'd had help or not, his system was so shaken).

Once again on this merry-go-round. That was what the British called a carousel, he'd learnt that from his trips over there with Kerr. But he'd also watched a documentary about knights and fighting and a merry-go-round was actually a war-training mechanism, where wooden dummies were placed on a revolving disk and then spun for warriors to attack, jabbing and slicing each time it came around.

Ben was on that merry-go-round, it felt like. He was the dummy on it, being spun by Charon and offered to Jake to use him as a pincushion.

Being swamped by a panic-attack and falling had embarrassed him enough to keep his head lowered and not look at Jake. He concentrated on his feet instead, wishing he'd worn more comfortable footwear than the steel-capped boots. He hadn't intended on walking anywhere beyond his house to his car to a booth at Venture and back again. Jake's underground situation seemed to go on forever.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Merry-Go-Round
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:54:58 PM »
Some nights things just went better than expected, and for the Black Prince tonight was one of those nights. He'd gone to Venture to sniff out a meeting with a vampire who's power far outclassed his own. He'd been afraid Charon wouldn't meet him, that Ben would've slipped in and poisoned his mind like the little roach he was. Instead he'd walked away with a kiss, a promise of an alliance and a new pet. What Charon had meant by "sound alliance" wasn't clear, but details could always be worked out later. Charon was always told to be a man of his word, and so Jake was allowed to feel secure in the diplomatic victory, with the weeping willow on the floor of the elevator as his bonus prize. The doors pinged open and Jake dismissed his clerks to the base, and started leading Ben towards the residences. Ben would live with them now, and Jake wondered how best to use Charon's little gift.

The Ventrue was also curious how Lazarus would react, and figured his journey out to gather information must've ended by now. Hopefully he had something to report. His last tip had borne fruit. Ben fell, and Jake simply let him, looking bored as he dry heaved and clutched his stomach like a sick human. Jake didn't kick him while he was down but he let Ben get himself back up. He didn't owe him any favors, and he didn't feel bad for Ben in the slightest. Jake had been in Ben's place once, a young upstart vampire assigned to the tutelage of someone you hate. He thought of Mithras. The old bastard was dead now, and he'd never be as horrible to Ben as Mithras was to him, but he considered the ancient from his past as his best teacher for this situation. Once Ben pulled himself up and muttered his pitiful apology, Jake kept leading him through the tunnels, whistling an old folk song.

Eventually they reached Jake's flat, and he unlocked the door with a heavy key, bringing Ben inside the main living room. Sam was out. He could tell by her light being off and door being shut. Scott was rarely home these days and Lazarus would not be given a key. Jake wanted some separation from his Harpy. Ben would see the same things Lazarus had. Old world wood furniture, bookshelves, art, weapons, maps and other expensive and European tastes made up the main room, with passageways leading off to other rooms in the flat. He'd point Ben to a couch and bark, "Sit down." Jake then plopped on the couch next to him. It wasn't intimate range, but it was suggestive of a certain closeness, and he took off his jacket, leaving only the white t-shirt with holes in it on. He looked to Ben.

"You'll have a room here with me and my children," he informed. "Do you have a problem with that?" He really hoped Ben did have a problem.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 02:09:20 PM »
Jake's taste in furniture appealed to him, not that he would've ever chosen to be here looking at it. At Jake's order, Ben sat, choosing one of the ends. He realised his mistake when he was hemmed in but glad that the nausea had passed and he'd recovered. A hand stole to his lips to check for spittle but there was nothing there. Still, it had felt like his stomach had flipped itself inside out and that every muscle had tensed.

At the question, Ben replied quickly. He was too... everything... to have a problem with that; too smart, too spent, too scared. Even though he didn't want to talk, he made himself give Jake a verbal answer in case he was the kind of guy who hated nods and shakes of the head.

"No problem," he said, his voice soft in the room. It carried in the room, he noticed. Or was that just because he was hyper-aware of everything right now. He could smell Jake - the scent of mortals on him, the cologne he used, the reek of cigarettes clinging to the cotton of his shirt and the smell of leather. He swallowed, breathing in these new, unfamiliar smells and holding them in, ready to answer any questions.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 02:26:45 PM »
Jake scooted a bit closer to Ben, and was in a laying position. On his back, head tilted he studied the new addition to his court. He wondered what Ben thought this experience would be like. Perhaps he just really saw Jake as such a violent, terrible person, but then he remembered a small bit of what Ben said to Charon.

You know my history

What had Ben meant? Had this happened to him before? Was Kerr really so untidy to constantly lose track of his childer? Jake may have kept Sam on a short leash, but seeing where Ben was now only further told him that was the right way to raise her. He cleared his throat a bit, and addressed his newest subject.

"What did you mean when you told Charon that he knew your history?" Jake was curious if he'd try to lie.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
Jake shuffling closer had Ben feeling uncomfortable. He tensed, muscles going rigid and his head only halfway turned towards Jake. From his vantage point, he couldn't see the other, older vampire. Jake would have a good view of his back and profile though. He wondered if he was supposed to lie back too, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. He'd wait for an order.

The question touched on the thing that had made Ben panic outside the residence. His stomach knotted once more but he was no longer in danger of losing control of his body to that degree again. It took him a moment to answer - a moment where the silence felt like it was stretched so thin it would break and then Jake would be angry with him. It had only lasted five seconds.

"He knows everything about-" Ben made himself stop. He was answering a question Jake hadn't asked in order to ignore the one he had. It would annoy him, Ben was sure. He cleared his throat and tried again. "When I was mortal, when I first met up with Kerr. The Oligarchy said I was an unregistered pet. Said Kerr wasn't allowed to keep me because he hadn't gone through proper channels. I was given to another vampire. The Oligarch at the time. Declan."

His voice ran out of power when he said the redhead's name.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 02:46:49 PM »
Declan had only been mentioned to Jake once by Kerr, and it was to report what an utter failure he was. He was told to Jake as a cautionary tale of how not to do the job. He studied Ben's profile, seeing the anxiety creeping inside him. It couldn't just be Jake, but perhaps this Declan had a knack for punishment, and Ben feared Jake would be worse. Part of Jake wanted to assure Ben that he had no intention to destroy him. He'd been humiliated by his mentor in front of a crowd of Jake's crew. It made the insult to his intelligence in the limo worth the pain. This arrangement he hoped to make productive and to take out years of petty thoughts and emotions on Ben. That would be the fun part. He had to return him to Charon in one piece but the older vampire had also told him not to be too gentle and so Jake looked forward to trying to find the middle ground.

"Do you think I'll be worse to you than he was," Jake asked, tone not helpful in determining whether he would be or not. He scooted closer again, his head almost touching Ben. He could sense tension in the other man and so decided to address his most likely fear. "Relax, I'm not going to rape you," he teased. "You're not my type."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 03:06:22 PM »
A biting question sat upon Ben's lips

So if someone was your type, you would rape them?

but he didn't dare say it. He pressed his lips together tightly, to keep it in. Because of Jake's words, he risked a look over his shoulder at him and stared. No, Jake had never been sexually interested in him, he'd known that all along. But he'd always hated him, and he wasn't like Ichabod, who despised him but would never act on it... he was like

you, he's like you
remember those memories of Ichabod
when you hunted him down and bullied him
and drank from him and
made him strip
and you condemn Jake as a rapist

Ugh! Would his mind ever fucking shut up? That Ben didn't exist anymore. Those memories were gone and whatever path he'd taken to turn him into that... that... monster, had been deleted out of him. He wished he didn't even have to see the movie-memories, but at least he no longer connected them to his own choices.

"I don't know about better or worse, but I think you want to hurt me," he accused.

And maybe I deserve it
But I will never admit it
And I will never consent
Never say never, Benny-boy

Ugh. Stop. This bullshit was messing with his head. He hadn't felt this conflicted

since Kerr died

for ages. It had been a relief to let his over-analysis go. Perhaps concentrating on the Academy had cured him. He wondered if he'd be allowed to manage it. Just as well he'd handed over codes and passwords to Ichabod a few nights ago. Lucky.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2019, 06:12:40 AM »
"Good lord," Jake suddenly intoned, sitting up with a laugh and a smirk. "You're reaaaalllllly an open book. I don't even have to work for it. All I have to do is listen. And if you want me to hurt you just ask. It's been a while since I had someone to take out my rage on."

He winked at Ben as he finished speaking and rearranged his position of the couch, sitting up and crossing his legs. With his nimble fingers he pulled out one of his cigarettes, moving it through his fingers with ease. He looked at Ben like he'd just given him a key to his boyish diary. Jake wondered what those pages might actually contain. Heartfelt feelings for Kerr? Superficial opinions of supernaturals? A whole passage about that violent bully Jake? He took a deep drag, closing his eyes as he did, hearing the crinkle of the burning wrap and filling his cold body with artificial warmth. He thought about all he'd heard from Ben's mental vomit and decided to pick at what he thought might be his weakest point. A flash of a boy filled the blueblood's mind, quiet, thoughtful, attractive. He could also tell that this person didn't care for Ben. What a useful piece of information, and Jake hadn't even asked him.

"Who is this Ichabod, and why do I have a feeling he and I should talk about you?" He then leaned forward, face inches from Ben's. He blew out his plume of smoke, held in during his last question, directly in Ben's face. He studied it for reaction. How hard would he have to work to get Ben wincing and whining?
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 06:40:38 AM »
When Jake spoke about hearing Ben's thoughts, the younger vampire began reconstructing his mental blocks from fresh. He didn't want to be caught out giving himself away again. He didn't need more reasons for Jake to think he was young and foolish. The snipe about hurting him didn't go unnoticed but he ignored it.

Ichabod's name coming up shocked Ben. He was incensed that Jake would go straight to him. He didn't have time to respond before Jake was blowing smoke straight at him. He pulled a face and jerked his head back. Gross. Ben turned his head while his hands curled into fists on his lap. His hatred for Jake grew so large that it constricted his throat and he found himself unable to speak.

With his block now firmly in place, he used mental communication to reply, confident that nothing else would slip through.

Ichabod is Kerr's other fledge. You met him but he doesn't leave much of an impression. He won't want to talk about me. He's boring, there's no point going after him.

Ben's words and mental tone were contemptuous, but there was no matching emotion - a tendril of concern wound its way into the message though, for Ben was unable to send just words.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2019, 07:16:28 AM »
Jake listened to Ben's mental reply, dismissing the part that there was no point speaking to Ichabod. It didn't surprise him that he'd met the other man and didn't remember him. Jake met a lot of people as a District Leader and few were worth remembering. He filed this information in his mind as a question for his Harpy. Lazarus had the job of knowing who was worth Jake's time or not, and so he'd ask him when they next spoke. His impulse told him that Ben was lying, and he normally followed his instincts.

"That will be for me to decide," Jake replied. "Do you have any questions about your time with me? If not you can go to ground. It's late."

He turned away from Ben, bored with him for the moment. He texted Lazarus quickly, "You near home? We need to talk."

Ben's room had been made up. His private flat had one extra chamber and so Ben moved into it. He would find the same styles of furniture as the living room. Depending on his knowledge of art and books, he'd find lots of interesting things to look at, including a wide variety of tomes on clanned vampires. The bed would be queen in size, and a large closet and bathroom would connect from inside the room. Whenever Ben got around to settling in this is what he'd find. Jake kept smoking on the couch and would answer any questions he had. His mood seemed high, so Ben would have to decide his next step.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »
Having been dismissed, Ben gladly stood and headed for the room assigned to him, moving a bit faster than he needed to once he had direction for where it was.

The phone in Lazarus' back pocket blipped an announcement of a message. He took it out and read it with a grin - Jake would be pleased to find Lazarus was closer than he expected! Instead of replying, he tucked the phone back into his pocket because he was standing in the hallway that led to Jake's door, and had been about to return home from his night of entertainment. Even Harpies needed time off. He fussed with his hair before opening the door with a flourish and stepping in, a wide grin on his face while he cast his eyes about for where Jake was, hoping he'd seen Lazarus' grand entry.

He missed Ben disappearing into his room.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
Jake sat in silence during the brief period Ben scuttled off to his room and Lazarus entered, the hero home for a kiss and a screw. It almost read romantic, but Jake wasn’t sure Lazarus was capable of true romance. He could fake it better than anyone, but as he studied the blonde’s grand entrance he wondered if he’d ever see that side of the ancient.

Jake’s face betrayed his delight at the antic and with a pop of his brow and a familiar smirk he said, “well, I need you and you appear. I’m swooning.”

In reality he was more pleased and happy than swooning but he was playing his part as Lazarus had just played his. Jake thought of Shakespeare with all the world being a stage. He motioned for Lazarus to join him on the cough, indicating a spot right next to his back was appropriate. He liked feeling Lazarus’s hair over his shoulders and the feel of his voice on Jake’s ear sent tempting shivers throughout his body.

“Your timing is perfect,” Jake said. “I had a very fruitful day.”

He made sure that Lazarus realized fruitful didn’t mean paperwork by smiling the one Lazarus knew by now meant Jake was up to something.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 08:46:05 AM »
Lazarus sashayed over, stopping to pull off his boots on the way so he could step onto the sofa and sit behind the darker vampire, his long legs either side of Jake. He did it because there was room and he thought that was what Jake was angling for. Lazarus was starting to understand his little quirks, noticing and remembering them so he could please the other. Not because he was his boss, but because he was his lover. Hmn, maybe not even because of that, maybe for some other reason, for Lazarus prided himself on his selfishness in bed.

"Want to share that fruit?" Lazarus purred, his hands smoothing a path up Jake's back and then onto his shoulders, gripping them tightly and pulling him back to lean on Lazarus chest. Now that he was close, Lazarus placed a hand on Jake's chest and the other crept down to his crotch, rubbing and massaging in order to elicit a response. His mouth found Jake's neck and he nuzzled, gnawed and licked there before paying attention to his earlobe.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2019, 09:27:52 AM »
Jake found it a little hard to concentrate as Lazarus pleases him, and he found himself responding slowly and breathily, running his hands along Lazarus’s legs a rub and wiggiking his butt to get other things stiring.

“I took a risk politically and it paid off. I made an alliance, got rid of our one big threat to the west, made sure Ben will never get the south, and made him by temporary pet.”

Let’s see how Lazarus reacted to all that.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
Mmmn, political risks that paid off. Well done, Jake. Lazarus smiled as he tugged Jake's earlobe between his teeth. An alliance? Wonderful. That meant Lazarus also had more friends and people to recognise his status. He stopped nibbling and lay his chin on Jake's shoulder when he was told Ben would never get the South. Had he confirmed that this had been a possibility at one point? This meant the alliance must have been with Charon and that the old vampire had admitted he'd been wanting to hand the south over to Ben! Lazarus had been right! He would've relished that deducation if it hadn't been for the last thing said - something that it took a moment to register.

Lazarus pulled his hand off Jake's groin to rest it on his thigh.

"A temporary pet?" he asked, confused but smiling. Had Jake used his mental powers on Ben whilst meeting with Charon, and made him crawl around on the floor, barking? That would've been hilarious! Lazarus wished he'd gone with Jake to Venture after all, but the freaky goblin vampire lord gave him the creeps. "Tell me!"