Author Topic: Nightmares  (Read 11182 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Nightmares
« on: February 25, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »
Jake opened his eyes and looked around an unfamiliar place. It was black, all black, and the only thing he knew was that he wasn't alone. He could see less than five feet in front of him, and the feeling of being gazed upon intensified, only now realizing he was naked. A laugh was heard, voice slick like oil, and yet sweet like sugar. It was his voice. "I can see you, love, and I like a good show. Give me a good show!" Jake began to run deeper into the darkness, his eyes now only getting blackness. He was breathing. Was he mortal? Sweat, water tears, and sucks of air told the prince that he was human again, and that made the dangerous voice even more frightening.

Another voice came into view and it was one he had come to hate. "Still not impressed. Why are you stealing my thing? You didn't even get raped. Did you say no?" Ben mocked him, and laughed at him, forcing Jake to run into yet a third direction. He had been raped. He couldn't say no. Lazarus would've killed him. The moments he'd been in Lazarus's mouth had been some of the worst of his life, anxiety provoking, horrible moments, with the disgusting cruelty of physical pleasure and orgasm to confuse and repulse him. He still didn't know the details of Ben's assault, and yet he felt his inferior. He couldn't even feel righteous in being wronged. Someone else deserved it more.

The third path through the blackness led to two voices, both women he cared about. One was girlish and young, the other musical and lazy. "You should've let me die," Sam yelled at him. "Admit you never wanted me." It wasn't true. He loved her so much, and the cruelty he'd showed her after his attack had been pain so wrongfully placed. They were in conflict for the first time in years, and at the time he needed his biggest believer she was hurt by him too. "I'll just do everything I guess," the musical voice said, Lisa-Joe sounding annoyed. "He only thinks he's in charge but really, I run it all." No. That wasn't true. Sure, Lisa did a lot for Jake, but he took care of her too. They were like siblings, wild cards who didn't fit in. She didn't resent him. Did she?

He ran one last time, and then he saw a light. As he got closer all the voices got into his head again, his mortal heart began to give out and he fell moments away from salvation. He was picked up and carried bridal style to his room and to his bed, and then the face of Lazarus looked upon him, as handsome as ever, and just as sinister.

Wait, my love. Shh, wait. Look what I can do, what I'm doing for you. Look, look.

No. Not again. This was not happening again. He was still mortal and so he began to hyperventilate and screamed, and this time he was held down by force, Lazarus getting comfortable into his roll. He heard the cracking of a whip as he was swallowed, and once again said, "I am no one."

This time Lazarus crawled on top of him and held Jake down by his wrists. His blonde locks framed his face in the most handsome and monstrous way. "No, Love. You're mine."

Jake woke up  from day sleep again, the second time that cycle. With a blank face he laid back down. He guessed he'd just wait till sunset.

~~~

Jake arrived at the doors of the legendary Parlor of Purgatory without an appointment and looking like shit. His eyes were deeply sunken in and dark with congealed blood. He looked underfed and almost monstrous. Softening him was a warped expression of emotions, a mixture of anxiety, shame, and guilt for his prisoner and for letting it happen to Ben.

Ben had gotten a laugh at him sending his data to Charon. They'd be having a talk about that soon and what alliances actually meant to the old toad. He dared to chastise Jake's taking of the west without telling him, but then installed Sabrina without telling him. Oh and then he'd stolen for him! Now he was sure that was Ben's reason for being "punished" by the bat all along. Well, another reason to feel like a miserable fool!

He wore an oversize blue sweater that was so big on him the sleeves kept running past his hands and an old pair of jeans and Vans. His hair was untidy bed head, perhaps his cutest feature currently. He had come to see Sabrina for many reasons, including to properly congratulate her. However, he more needed her help with Lazarus. He knew Laz feared her, and that could be an asset in his upcoming trial. He was having horrible nightmares and he hoped he could just buy a potion from her or something. Jake knocked on the front door, hoping that when he needed her most, Saint Sabrina would answer the call.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Nightmares
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »
The hulking doors opened on their own accord as soon as his knuckles met wood, allowing just enough room to pass.

At first blush, the inside of the Parlor was utter chaos. Furniture draped in sheets and pushed into corners, the huge crystal chandeliers had been lowered to just above the floor, their usual warm candlelight replaced with the glare of industrial stand lights. Scaffolding lined all of the walls. The space was filled with the scent of sawdust and fresh paint, and a subtle but palpable anxiety hung in the air.  The house was getting a makeover and it had opinions. Gone were the rat skeletons marching up and down the sweeping banisters of the grand staircase, its freshly-polished wood reflected the harsh light.

The only sound in the room, however, was a low murmur of tense conversation from the old check in desk. This is where Jake would spot Sabrina, looming over the desk and a young woman with rainbow-colored hair, "Tansy, for the last time, I will not have you bringing any of that Eames garbage into my home. We are restoring what's already here. If you bring me one more plastic chair and try to pass it off as 'neo-classic', I swear to–" Her head jerked up as Jake approached, and the focus of her annoyance seemed relieved to be out of her headlights.

"We'll talk about this later." The giant's eyes narrowed but didn't stray from her visitor, and the other woman gathered up the catalogues scattered across the polished marble surface of the desk and made herself scarce.

Sabrina came around the desk, moving quickly as she took in the sight of her friend. She'd been expecting a visit from the vampire since the announcement had gone out about Lazarus's position, but she hadn't expected this. The other shoe had dropped, and hard. Without a word, she knelt before him, eyes wandering over his careworn and bloodstained face. Gently, she placed her hands on his shoulders.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 12:00:15 PM »
Jake was surprised to see the delightful home in such a state of change. He stared at the chandlers in particular, remembering the first time he saw their glittering lights. Tansy was a new face to him, but somehow seemed to fit in with the place, Jake thinking that in the most positive way of course. He was happy to see her go, but only because he knew Sabrina wasn't just going to turn him away. She was Charon's ally now, and people he'd thought were his friends clearly hadn't been. The great witch had fixed his broken heart once before, and this time it was so much worse.

When she placed her hands on his shoulders he met her gaze. The comparison of their sizes made Jake look just like one of Sabrina's orphans, come home to his mother figure. His eyes looked into hers, and he wondered how much she already saw.

"Hey Sabs," he said quietly. "Congrats on becoming District Leader of the South. I'm sorry I didn't tell you that sooner, and for dropping by uninvited."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 12:08:13 PM »
His tone and lightness belied his haggard state, and Sabrina only addressed the part of his statement deemed worth answering. She could not keep the worry from her voice, "You are always welcome in my home, Jake."

The giant pressed her lips together into a tight line as she continued to look into his face. She was dressed simply, in a black cotton wrap-dress that puddled on the floor now as she crouched before him. Her hair was plaited and coiled at the nape of her neck. "How can I help you?" She didn't need to ask what happened. Lazarus had hurt him, as was his nature. Hurting people was the only thing he knew how to do, and took such constant and perverse glee in it. She should have killed him when she had the chance.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 12:15:50 PM »
Jake closed his eyes for a second, whispering a quiet "thank you" in response to her open invitation. It meant a lot right now. He wanted to start crying and run straight into her arms, but fought the urge. He'd done nothing but cry for the last two nights. He looked around for a chair and seeing none turned back to Sabrina. He wanted to answer her question, but he didn't want to just stand here. He honestly needed to sit down. His legs were a little weak from the lack of feeding. He was still a young vampire after all.

"I need you to help me with Lazarus. You're the only person I know he fears. He..." Jake couldn't quite get it out, but quickly added, "Can we go sit? It's kind of a lot."

He already felt better being near her, a certain warmth emanating from within the giantess.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 12:29:34 PM »
Sabrina rose and led him wordlessly to her study with one hand on his shoulder, guiding them into the room in the same way they'd entered it when he'd first visited her -- via the painting at the top of the grand staircase.

Unlike the lobby, this room was in the same state it had been years ago. The only thing that had changed were the titles of the books  stacked on the imposing mahogany desk. She bid Jake sit in one of the green velvet armchairs, and dragged its mate over the faded carpet to sit across from him. A flick of her fingers had a fire crackling merrily in the fireplace behind her. She tried to keep her expression kind, but rage clouded her features, "Lazarus," she bit out, then shook her head.

"Of course. Whatever you need."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2019, 12:44:52 PM »
Jake was happy to see the study looking the same, and accepted the chair as he stared at the titles of her books. He could see her hatred of Lazarus and it made him feel safe. He smiled for the first time since entering. He couldn't think where to start, and decided to ask Sabrina what information she wanted first.

"Should I start at the beginning or tell you the current situation?"

Either way it was a lot to get into.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 12:54:58 PM »
The books on the desk were old, leather-bound, filigree-encrusted horrors for the most part. On top of the stack, however, was a battered paperback copy of Le Mort d'Arthur.

"Tell me What's happening now." She wanted to spare him from reliving whatever it was that brought him to her door. It was inconsequential now, likely. She clasped her fingers together and leaned forward, resting her chin on her joined hands.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »
Jake nodded and thought to give her bare minimum of context and then give her the situation.

"Lazarus raped Kerr's fledge Ben, and me, after assaulting me and the trigger was telling him you were given the south. I captured Lazarus and am holding him in a werewolf cell heavily guarded. I am planning on giving him a public trial."

He figured that was a good first chunk to process. He assumed she'd have questions.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 01:17:54 PM »
A held breath rasped out of Sabrina's nose as Jake spoke. Her face was a rigid mask of cold fury. She reached out to put a hand on his knee, but drew it back, making a fist instead. The kind of trauma he'd suffered often did not lend itself well to touch, Sabrina knew all too well. She also stopped herself from bringing that fist down on the arm of her chair -- sudden displays of violence were also not called for, here.

She did not question his decision to have a trial. It was no business of hers how the Vampire chose to deal with what had happened to him, though it took everything in her not to run to the White rabbit and end the wretch herself.

"I'm...so sorry," she said finally. Sorry she couldn't protect him. Sorry she hadn't ended this before it had a chance to start all those years ago. "How can I help?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 01:24:35 PM »
Jake probably would've jumped. Everything was frightening him at the moment, and he felt horrible aversion of places, his bedroom especially. The wall had still not been fixed and Sam had not come home. It was the quiet that triggered him most.

"I need your power." It was a strange request. "You are the only person Lazarus fears and the only person I know who would be able to and possibly willing to end him. I want you to be the judge and make sure this trial will be a real one. Lazarus is too powerful for normal security measures and he says that magic ring of his can't come off till he dies."

This whole thing was a test of cooperation between the districts and right now he'd see exactly how much Sabrina was willing to do. It was a big ask, but Jake thought she was the only person powerful enough to control the court room, and keep Lazarus in his place.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 01:40:25 PM »
"Done." The word was out of her mouth almost before he had finished speaking. She wouldn't dream of sitting this out. She  was one of the few that had the power to do as he asked, and she understood how hard it was to ask it. Political maneuvering was the last thing from her mind. Jake was her friend, and Lazarus was a monster who needed to be stopped. 

More difficult than bringing her might to bear in in a useful way would be remaining impartial, as a judge needed to be. But it was what Jake needed, and she'd do her best to be what he asked.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 01:58:39 PM »
"Thank you," he said relieved. This whole thing wouldn't work if Lazarus could escape whenever he wanted, and nobody was there to keep the peace. Jake would be a witness only, Lisa-Joe prosecuting for the Districts. She was taking the job seriously, searching for all the evidence she could get. Ben was the star witness and if didn't testify that whole part of the case fell apart. Jake would appeal to Kerr and hopefully directly to Ben. He'd been wronged, and he deserved to see his attacker pay for his crimes. Or was he projecting? Did Ben even care about what happened to him? Of course he did. It was strange that the only person who knew what he was going through was also unwilling to help him, hated his guts and had just robbed him. God Ben was trash.

"Can you secure him during the trial and if he's convicted kill him," he asked. "If he sees you I fear he'll attack."   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 02:09:53 PM »
Sabrina nodded her assent. She could do both of those things. With pleasure.

"I can make sure he won't hurt anyone," she said, in response to Jake's fears that the older Vampire may react with violence to her very presence. Something small and nasty in her hummed with happiness that she inspired such hatred in Lazarus. Good. If only it had been enough to keep him away.

"If you're in need of witnesses, there is a young Vampire working with Venture's house band who I've heard voice opinions, and believe they're borne of...experience." She did not feel the need to elaborate on what type of experience.

Silence stretched between them for a moment, and Sabrina leaned forward, though not far enough to invade his space "Jake, you look --" The corners of her mouth tightened, turned downward "How can I help you?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
Jake nodded and made a note to get that witnesses contact information and pass it to Lisa. That's as far as he'd go and wouldn't want Sabrina to put him directly in touch. She had to be impartial despite the fire he saw in her eyes to take him down. It was why he chose her. She was ferocious but kind. That's what was needed here.

Jake, you look --

He knew how he looked, and Sabrina telling him made him sink in his chair. "I- I keep having nightmares, and I feel so not like myself. And please don't judge me for this, and I hate myself so much for feeling this, but I think I love him." He blurted it all out and looked for what he thought would be a hateful stare. How could Jake care about him, and yet he felt such horrible guilt about the whole situation including that he'd been too much of a coward to just say no.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2019, 12:44:17 AM »
The giant shook her head, "Even the worst of us have something worth loving in them. There's nothing wrong in seeing that."

She wanted so badly to hold him. She felt his pain like an open, seeping wound. But that wasn't what he'd asked for.

"I can help with the nightmares. Let's get you cleaned up and fed, first?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2019, 05:22:44 AM »
Having both his pain and his confusing, horrible feelings for Lazarus validated was just what Jake needed. As if waiting for only that moment to feel fully safe, Jake got up and hugged Sabrina, almost jumping on her. He thought he remembered how kind she was, but it seems he'd forgotten exactly how kind. He didn't cry this time. Now he smiled. He felt heard and while Lisa-Joe had heard him she was family. She had to support him. Sabrina didn't have to do anything. He heard her comments and nodded as she promised to help with the nightmares.

"Okay. I guess I should eat. And..." He looked at the clothes he was wearing. "I guess I do need to clean up. Okay. Let's do that first. Thanks you Sabrina."

He was like a babe in her arms, and would need a nudge to let her go, or at least a guiding hand to lead him to the next activity. He forgot about Ben, and Charon and even Lazarus for a minute. It was Jake and Sabs hanging out. It was long overdue.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2019, 11:05:59 AM »
Sabrina held him in her arms for...well, she couldn't rightly say how long. Until it felt right.  Time didn't really matter, to people like them. Not like it mattered to others. She wrapped her arms around Jake and let the inhuman heat below her skin sink through him, to his death-cold bones. The smile she wore as she rested her chin on the top of his head was beatific, and the first thing he'd see when he pulled back at her gentle touch.

The house was bothering her; there was work yet to be done. Tansy was downstairs ordering a plastic chair.

She guided him off her lap and back to the picture wall. A hand waved over the mirror revealed a luxurious, if outdated, bath suite. The furnishings were baroque and all slightly oversized -- Sabrina sized. Including the enormous copper clawfoot tub. "Use anything that has a label," she told him, gesturing to indicate that he should step through the newly-opened portal, "Stay away from things that don't. The radio will play what you need to hear --" In one corner of the room that he could see, there was an old-fashioned radio cabinet, of the kind families used to gather around to listen to, "--Mostly." She made a 'wishy-washy' gesture with one hand.

"I'll see what we've got for blood in the fridge. You can step back through when you're finished, I'll be along shortly. Take as much time as you need."

She paused, before hugging him again and bending to kiss the top of his head. "There's another door in there, as well. It leads to my bedroom. Please don't try to go through it." That space was hers alone.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2019, 03:34:01 AM »
Jake felt so safe in Sabrina's embrace, and was almost grumpy he had to let go, before smiling at how silly that was. He allowed himself to be guided to the picture wall, eyes going wide as the portal or passageway - he was never sure in this house - opened in front of him. He looked to Sabrina as she explained, and felt like Oliver Twist being brought into the home of Mr. Brownlow. He nodded at all her instructions and squeezed her hand once more.

"Sabrina, you are an island in a storm. I really need to visit more often. Thank you."

With that he steeped through the barrier and into the bathroom, feeling Sabrina close it behind him. He first looked at the door to her room and felt an immediate curiosity. He wouldn't disrespect his gracious host though, and settled for glancing at it as he went about starting to clean up. He turned on the water, letting it get hot and then started to fill the tub. He searched among the labeled products and found a bubble bath liquid and poured it in to the water and watched the water start to foam.

The young vampire moved to the radio cabinet and looked for an on switch before simply saying, "play The Arctic Monkeys, album.... Favorite Worst Nightmare".

The radio cabinet seemed displeased with the choice, and boom tubes fired off as it started up. It played the band he requested but seemed to have it's own opinions about the album, and played another instead.

Jake got undressed, dropping his clothes on the floor. He turned off the water, finding a tub of hot, soapy water ready for him. He was much smaller than Sabrina, and had probably more to grow before he was turned. He had to pull himself into the tub, and landed face first with a big splash. It was so silly and it made him laugh. The radio cabinet laughed too and quickly switched to the song Splish Splash before returning to his chosen programming. Jake took in a deep breath to float in the tub and embraced the sereneness of the room and of the music. The song switched suddenly, still Jake's favorite band, but a song he'd never heard before.

Listen to Snap Out Of It

What's been happing in your world?
What have you been up to?
I heard that you fell in love, or near enough.
I gotta tell you the truth... yeah.

I wanna grab both your shoulders and shake baby,
Snap out of it.

As Jake listened he couldn't help but wonder was this Sabrina's doing, the radio's or his? Did he need to hear these words so they played? Was this even a real song? He allowed his mind to wander as he started to scrub himself, listening for all the witty lyrical hooks he expected from Mr. Turner. He was thinking of Lazarus and how things may had been different if they'd met earlier. Maybe a longer time with Jake would've humanized him more. He considered that he'd already started to have that effect. Lazarus was hurt when Jake betrayed him. You have to love someone for them to hurt you. So did he love Jake? Is that what he'd meant when he'd said Jake already hurt him? Was it not his pride, but his heart? The song changed.

Listen to I Wanna Be Yours

... If you like your coffee hot
Let me be your coffee pot
You call the shots babe
I just wanna be yours
Secrets I have held in my heart
Are harder to hide than I thought
Maybe I just wanna be yours

Jake did want to be his, but a different Lazarus, one who had never raped Ben, or him. He felt like a fool with too much love and not enough confidence, and he wondered if deep inside him, a good man was buried under 2,000 years of bad choices. He chose to think that's the part of Lazarus he touched. As he washed his hair, he couldn't help but think maybe there was something worthwhile about himself after all. Perhaps, if he loved again, he'd bring out the best in that person too, although hopefully a lot easier and sooner. He doubted he'd love again, still resolute that after this was all over, he'd join Lazarus n the fire. He dare not tell Sabrina. He feared she'd try and stop him, or worse, she wouldn't. As he awkwardly crawled out of the tub, he had to avoid slipping on the wet floor. He straightened up, applying a towel to his naked flesh. Another person pushed Lazarus out of his brain. Murphy Hilton stared him in the face. They'd met only once, and yet through this whole thing the image of Murphy kept being a guiding light, a promise of something different.

He doubted he'd ever see him again. He was Ben's best friend, and yet he couldn't stop thinking about him. The radio cabinet played one last song and Jake had a vision. Auspex, or vampire second sight, was not a gift inherent to Jake, but he'd worked on developing some basic skills. This denoted an upgrade of sorts. Perhaps it was the magic of Sabrina's home, or maybe he was just growing as a vampire, but  the scene played out before his eyes.

Listen to 505

Not shy of a spark
A knife twists at the thought that I should fall short of the mark
Frightened by the bite though it's no harsher than the bark
Middle of adventure, such a perfect place to start

I'm going back to 505
If it's a seven hour flight or a forty-five minute drive
In my imagination you're waiting, lying on your side
With your hands between your thighs

Jake saw a date with Murphy. It was awkward, and Ben came up more than once, but then, they settled into one another. Jake found himself being open, and candid and showing Murphy his gooey parts as well as his strong ones. Murphy was funny, and humble and most of all kind. There was also a transparency about him that made the date go super well. There was a flash and more time had passed. Murphy was a ghoul, his ghoul, their bond growing closer and closer. They were in his room dancing. He couldn't hear what song, 505 being the soundtrack to this vision. They were happy though. Sam walked in on them, and simply joined the dance party. Sam. She was back! He found himself running to her. Another flash. This time he and Mr. Hilton kissed under  a tree in Pisky Memorial park. It had been about a year since their first date and Jake had an important question to ask him.

Will you be mine? I mean my fledge. I mean...
Yes Jake. Stop talking and kiss me some more.
Oh. Okay. I love you.
I love you too.

It was here the vision ended and Jake was left wondering if what he saw was truly prophetic, or just a fantasy. Even if it wasn't real, it still made him feel joy. He began to question his earlier plan to end his life, but Jake was a slave to his own convictions, and considered the decision already made. He hated that he doubted it now, and pushed those doubts to the back of his mind. He dressed in the same clothes he'd come in, and once his hair was neatly styled back, he walked back through the passageway to where Sabrina would likely be waiting.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2019, 11:23:14 AM »
Jake would indeed find Sabrina in the room beyond the door, but he'd be looking at her across a different table, this one very long and broad and strewn with the ephemera of her craft; some stereotypical, some not. Yes, there were the bundled herbs and crystals and tall glass bottles -- but there was also a messy stack of seemingly blank polaroid photos, and an assortment of tapes (8-track and VHS).

These were all pushed to one end of the table to make room for the silver-filigree tray which held a dutch oven, ladle, and oversized mug. Steam seeped from under the lid of the dutch oven, carrying with it the scent of human blood.  The room he had entered was low-ceilinged and chilly, but warmly lit with an assortment of stained-glass table and standing lamps. Its smelled of herbs and oils, and of cold iron. Clearly some sort of workroom, the surfaces were crowded with various equipment -- medical, magical, and otherwise. If he peered through the beaded curtain over a doorway one on end of the room, he'd see the familiar outline of the dentist's chair she used for tattooing.

"It's been magically preserved," Sabrina informed him, as he pulled up the provided chair. THe Vampire was clearly meant to serve himself. Her back was to him as she gathered ingredients from a floor-to-ceiling drawered cabinet in one corner of the room and setting them into a wicker basket held in one crooked elbow, "So it may taste a little funny, but it's good. I've been lucky enough not to need to keep it fresh -- less stray Humans wandering in off the streets bleeding." She smiled and looked over her shoulder at Jake, "Though I'll have it on hand if it means I'll be seeing more of you."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 02:31:26 PM »
Jake wasn't surprised to see a different room. It seemed appropriate with everything he knew about the house. He found the work area unruly, the Ventrue unsurprisingly a neat freak. However, it seemed right for the wonderful strange quality of his host, and he could tell to her this system worked. The self serve was self evident, and the prince ladled himself a mug of hot, steamy blood. Unlike at Charon's Jake drunk deeply and polished off the glass. It was good, if not a tiny bit stale. Jake found it peppery and wondered who it came from. Was that blood resonance Choleric?

"That's some good stuff actually," Jake observed, leaving the staleness out of his assessment. He raised the mug in salute, even though her back was turned. He looked at all her witchy things, and was curious but superstitious. It was how he felt about magic in general. He happened to see the dentist chair, and touched his heart tattoo fondly. They'd become friends that day.

He heard her comment about seeing him more, and for a second felt a small pain. He would have to lie to her now. He hated that he had to do that.

"You'll be seeing more of me in the near future for sure." He moved the subject to related but different. "I missed you, and this place. We've both been busy."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2019, 11:05:51 AM »
"I missed you too, ma chere." A soft murmur as she ticked things off on her fingers, then nodded, and pulled up a chair beside Jake.

From her basket, she pulled a series of bottles and satin bags, and finally a large mortar and pestle, "Are you having suicidal thoughts?" she asked mildly, before she fixed her gaze on him, leaning with one arm against the table, her body turned toward her guest.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2019, 12:45:09 PM »
Jake's jaw dropped, and his eyes went wide. How did she know? Witches! Jake had always been weirdly superstitious of witches, and he didn't like being unsure for too long. At least with vampires he would know his mind had been read. In this situation all bets are off.

"I-."

That's about all he could get out, but his surprised reaction and subsequent shutdown all suggested that Sabrina was correct. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2019, 01:21:10 PM »
"It's perfectly normal to think like that," She assured him, placing one hand gently on his knee, "After what happened to you. People blame themselves, they think they deserved it, they think it would be easier if they just stopped being around." She leaned back opened, one of her satin pouches.

"I've thought it. I've known a lot of people who've thought it, too. But I'm here, as an outside voice, as your friend, as someone you asked once to call 'mother' -- to tell you none of it is true, but that it's normal."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2019, 01:33:22 PM »
He'd forgotten that memory, and his mind fluttered back to that first moment he'd asked her to play that role in his life. He wondered what Sabrina saw in him that people like Ben never would. She saw past the tough guy routine, the monarch, the poser. She saw something only a few people had ever seen. She'd saw the boy once known as Jacob McCloud, and he'd  been a gentle soul once upon a time.

"Charon didn't know what you know, but he told me this moment would pass, and that in the end the fact that I was a vampire meant I had all the time I needed to get myself right."

Their advice sounded somewhat similar, and it was coming from perhaps the two people in the city Jake respected the most, other than Lisa of course.

"Thank you mother," he said, the voice so much younger than two-hundred and seventy nine. He looked at all her equipment, and looked to her expectantly. He didn't know enough about to magic to ask what she had planned.

- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2019, 10:10:33 AM »
"You're quite welcome, my dove," she leaned forward to give him a tender kiss on the forehead, and then returned to her task.

She crushed several different dried herbs together into a fine powder with the mortar and pestle, her big hands working deftly. He might notice the soft scents of lavender, anise, and juniper, among a variety of others, "Charon is wise man," she agreed.

Once the herbs were ground, she poured about shot of some sharp, clear alcohol into the mortar form a crystal bottle, "I'm making a tincture," she explained, noting the way he watched her hands, "Hopefully this and a little mental nudge will help with your nightmares."

She picked up the mortar between her hands and swirled the herbs and alcohol (counterclockwise) until they were thoroughly mixed, then reached across Jake to refill his mug from the dutch oven. A piece of cheesecloth stretched across the top of the mortar kept the ground herbs back as she poured the alcohol off into a small glass bowl. The herbs were bound up into the cheesecloth and dropped into the mug, while she dipped her fingers into the alcohol.

After gaining permission, she swiped her wettened thumb down the center of Jake's forehead, then over his cheekbones, in the hollow of his throat, and behind the lobes of his ears. All the while she hummed a soft, steady, note, and he'd feel some of the oppressive darkness life from brain like a fog. The alcohol dried quickly on his skin, and while the scent it left behind was strong and herbaceous, it was not unpleasant.

"Now drink the blood," the witch prompted, her voice holding an eerie echo of the tone she'd been humming, "And get back to me tomorrow evening."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2019, 10:30:33 AM »
Jake liked learning about things, and watching Sabrina practice magic was fascinating. Why these herbs? Why the alcohol? What was the science behind the craft? He nodded his permission. He wouldn't have fought her had she just gone to touch him, but wondered if that was because of who she was, or if wasn't quite protective of his boundaries again.The alcohol was cool, but Sabrina's finger felt warmer than a humans.

He felt the darkness lift, and felt something close to clarity. He wondered if this was what antidepressants were like, not a cure, but a way to feel good enough to seek out a cure. It was the first moment killing himself didn't seem like the best option anymore, and he hoped he'd keep moving in this direction.

"Tomorrow I will be setting up the court house. You should come by if you're free. We can discuss the final parameters and you can meet the prosecutor."

"Thank you so much Sabrina. Can I bring my children over for dinner sometime? I don't think they've ever met you."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2019, 07:45:35 AM »
"I'd love that," Sabrina rested a hand on Jake's shoulder and smiled, "I'll see you tomorrow, then."

Once he drank down the herb-infused blood as directed, the pair embraced and said their goodbyes. Sabrina had some more work to do here, but Jake would find the door he'd come through lead once again into the lobby. He wouldn't feel anything now, but when next he slept, it would be peacefully.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2019, 08:41:33 AM »
Jake thanked Sabrina once more, and headed out of the Parlor of Purgatory. Sabrina really was a Saint, and saw the best in everyone. It made Jake think that if Sabrina could see the goodness in him perhaps he would see it in himself too. With her agreeing to judge Lazarus, Jake had the final piece of the puzzle in place. He thought about Murphy again, their time together in his vision. He pulled out his phone and wrote out a text.

Hey. If you're around tonight, come by the White Rabbit. I want to see you.

He didn't send it yet though. He had one more errand to run first. Now he would head to see Charon and let him in to Lazarus's cell.

/end
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.