Author Topic: After The Storm, Before The Storm  (Read 9874 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
After The Storm, Before The Storm
« on: February 25, 2019, 05:41:50 PM »
BEN STEPPED OUT of the car and walked hand-in-hand with Kerr up the stairs that they'd only just climbed last night.

Was it really only one night? Ben thought to himself, awed. It felt like more time had passed. So much had happened. Returning to this house again so soon after Sabrina's announcement party really drummed it in that in a single night so much could change.

Ichabod. Sam. Murphy. They could be hurt in the tug-of-war that followed. At least Sacramentum had sent someone to help him, proving that they were ready to go to bat for him. They were ready to break an alliance, for him. It helped to know that he had worth. Nothing could bring him back from the brink like Kerr's actions had, and the love that he'd shared. But knowing that he hadn't misplaced his trust in this family of ancients... it helped. He wasn't just a pawn after all.

One of the large front doors opened and Hugh was there with a broad grin. He'd been the same Sacramentum family member shaking hands at the door last night, greeting party-goers and welcoming them to the house. This time he hugged Ben and clapped him on the back.

"Good to see you made it out of there, Ben," he said, then turned to shake Kerr's hand. "Nice to meet you again, Kerr. Did you bring any clothes with you?"

"I guess by that we're allowed to stay here," Ben said wryly, putting an arm around Kerr.

"Of course! We got your emails. Clever thinking, but you kind of showed your hand, there."

"I was already arrested, might as well do a crime," Ben replied. Hugh laughed and gestured to a couple of the staff members as they moved through the foyer. He ordered them to take Ben and Kerr's luggage out of the car and to take it to the green room.

Ben blinked, thinking of television talk shows. Weren't the waiting rooms off set called green rooms?

Hugh walked them upstairs and then into the east wing, down a long corridor that ended with a pretty vase of flowers and a tall window that revealed the moonlight. It was such a pretty and simple display that he choked up. He sensed that his being choked up over a vase and some flowers was probably a misdirected reaction from what he'd been through, but right now it felt positive in its overwhelming nature and he clung to that. Kerr pulled him closer and they walked with arms around each other's waists as Hugh opened the last door on the right - the door closest to the vase upon the tall table.

The green room was probably called thus because of the forest green curtains, bedspread and rug. Light timber furniture made the room feel fresh and summery and Ben was glad for that, not wanting to repeat the feel of Jake's old-world heavy decorating.

"Charon will call for you soon. He's in a meeting right now but it'll be winding up very soon," Hugh said, his expression serious as he regarded the pair. "Thank you for trusting us and coming here. We'll keep you safe."

Ben, who'd not had much to do with Hugh before now, felt tears prick his eyes. He was being awash with sentimentality and gratitude. Not terrible feelings, certainly, but a great deal more powerful than he was used to. Hugh started to close the door but the rumble of suitcases sounded, and soon Kerr's and Ben's things were rolled in for them. The staff members left hurriedly and Hugh softly shut the door.

Ben clung to Kerr with one hand and reached for his phone with the other, his empty pocket reminding him that it wasn't there.

"Jake still has my phone," he said, annoyed. "Can you call Ichabod? Get him to leave the city district? He can go to the beach house, maybe, if he doesn't want to come here."
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: After The Storm, Before The Storm
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2019, 09:02:23 PM »
Kerr merely watched Ben, nodding his acquiescence but reaching up to gently cup his fledgling's face. It was time to ask.

"What shall I tell him happened?" Kerr didn't want to find out the details at the same time Charon did. He wanted to be able to be Ben's support and for that, he couldn't afford to be surprised.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2019, 09:08:02 PM »
And here it was. He didn't want to go into detail but at the same time he wanted to justify himself. He also didn't want to give Kerr the same deadpan delivery he'd given Jake. After the tiniest bit of thought, he said:

"I was left alone in Jake's underground apartment. Lazarus came home early. He decided to have sex with me. I didn't get a say in it."

It was still pretty deadpan, so he added a shrug at the end for a little animation.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2019, 09:22:53 PM »
Mother. Fucking. Lazarus. Rapist.

Where Ben was steady, Kerr was not. He hugged Ben close with his free arm, his lips pressed to his love's forehead as he took a trembling breath. Tears welled but he fought them away, embracing the anger that was rising in him.

"I'm sorry that happened to you," he murmured, then pulled back, blinking away his weaker emotions. That explained the 'abused and assaulted' part of the email Ben had sent but the rest was still a mystery. "So Jake... arrested you... because Lazarus raped you?" he hazarded. "And we're here at Penbrook because they're both after you now?"

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2019, 09:35:02 PM »
Ben had tried not to imagine how Kerr would react. He'd mostly pulled it off. He didn't expect to simply be held and kissed atop the forehead. The lack of drama was as refreshing as the new room. It was a relief. The bigger the fuss made over him, the more of a victim he would feel... so right now it was better to acknowledge it and move on. If he needed to pull it out and look at it later, he would.

Kerr's soft words gave Ben further strength to continue talking about it. The guess was wrong, but honestly he couldn't remember. Everything from the moment Jake got home had been a blur. Had he gone into his room to put on shoes? He thought so. Then in the bar he'd tried to leave and...

"No, it was Lisa-Joe," he said after a long moment. "She stopped me from leaving. Um... I did tell her what happened. She's the one who arrested me and... pretty sure she insulted me."

He couldn't remember why. He couldn't remember anything apart from being furiously angry with Lazarus, and with Jake, and then with her because she was blocking his escape.

"She had me locked up in her office. That's how I got a call for help out. I don't even remember what I typed, but I do remember sending all their information to Charon. Jake will want my head for that."

Jake could rot in hell.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2019, 10:25:07 PM »
Kerr's tongue rolled agitatedly in his mouth, the ball of his stud tapping against the back of his teeth as he processed. He was beginning to see why they'd come to Charon; Ben had made an official transgression by sending sensitive information out of Jake's district and they couldn't rely on Zohoret to protect him. Was it his district leader's duty to provide Ben with representative counsel if there was to be a trial?

Thing was, Ben had been arrested after the rape but before his crime of espionage (if Kerr was keeping the facts straight), so what had he been arrested for? He surely couldn't be held accountable for being Lazarus' victim?!

The words of the police officer that had recognised him echoed in Kerr's memory and another confusing tidbit surfaced. 'Some violent criminal is about to be taken down in there,' he'd said. It wasn't Ben and couldn't have been Jake... could it have been Lazarus? Or was that message entirely unrelated? Damnit, why hadn't he got out of the car and gone in?!

Gazing down at Ben's aristocratic cheekbones and noble profile, he knew it was because he'd been met by what he'd wanted. What he'd come for; his love returned to him, unsteady but fighting. Kerr hadn't understood he'd need more information if he was going to adequately defend this situation. An ominous sense of failure rose in him, telling him he'd let Ben down. He didn't even understand the intricacies of the current political climate.

But Charon would. Fuck, even in the middle of rightfully losing his shit, Ben was astute enough to get himself into the best possible position. It was about time that skill started working in his favour.

Kerr released Ben in order to get at his phone. "Jake having your phone is problematic, too," he murmured as he navigated to his message list in order to call Ichabod. "Fucker needs to give that ba... Cub," he interrupted his musings as Ichabod picked up quickly. "There's a problem and I need you to get to safety lest you be used for leverage." He listened to his fledgling's confused exclamations briefly, cutting him off with the facts before he could get too worked up. "Ben was assaulted by Lazarus then arrested. He responded in kind by sharing their sensitive information with Charon so now Jake will likely want him to stand trial. Something else was going on at the White Rabbit tonight, too, I'm not sure what. Anyway, Ben and I are staying at Penbrook until it gets sorted out and you might be better off here as well, if you can manage it. If not... " he trailed off and let Ichabod speak after the weight of his dreary tidings had sunk in.

While he listened to Ichabod decide what to do, he brushed the backs of his fingers against Ben's, or clasped his hand lightly then released it to rub the small of his back. Anything to keep contact with the incredibly strong and precious man he loved. After a few more exchanges where nothing more was clarified (due to Kerr not having the answers either), he hung up and gave Ben a look that was best classified as uncertain.

"He... uh, he's coming here, too. Tonight. But, uh, he's bringing James with him. He doesn't want to leave him vulnerable, not with Lazarus involved," Kerr shrugged, scratching his head lightly. He had no idea if that was allowed but Ichabod had been definite on the matter. Charon's house was big enough but they'd been welcomed because of everything Ben had done for the family. Kerr, Ichabod and especially James had nothing to offer. They'd no doubt owe another favour or ten before this night was out. Kerr thought it was probably warranted, under the circumstances, but it still made him uneasy.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 07:18:59 AM »
Ben remained close to Kerr, listening to the conversation between Kerr and Ichabod, comforted by Kerr's hand on the small of his back. Even though he'd been close enough to have heard Ichabod's side, too, he listened to Kerr explain it for him. He appreciated the way Kerr included him in everything, holding nothing back. This was what he'd been like before he'd gone away. Ben's memory of him had been tainted with self-absorbed perceptions, probably with an unhealthy dose of blame at his sire for leaving him and then dying.

"I love you," he said, wondering why he hadn't seen so clearly before. Or was he seeing with rose-coloured glasses now? He didn't think so. Everything felt pretty stark. His body could still feel Lazarus' hand on the middle of his back pinning him down, and the memory of him thrusting inside. He closed his eyes and willed himself not to think about that anymore, though he couldn't help but shift his weight uncomfortably and be aware that the last man to have sex with him was Lazarus.

But he didn't want to face changing that right now.

There was a soft knock at the door before it opened. A young woman wearing the staff uniform (black trousers, white ruffed shirt) spoke quickly through the half-opened door.

"Lord Charon will see you now."

Lord Charon? Ben wondered at that. He'd not heard the staff talk about him before, so it had come as a surprise. He'd wanted to call Murphy first, but he didn't think he would be in danger from Jake. He would call as soon as the meeting with Charon was over, once he had more information.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »
Kerr's smile at being told he was loved was beautiful, the timbre resonating behind the words filling his heart. That burgeoning elation faltered and died when Ben closed his eyes. He was fighting for equilibrium, his will fierce and resolve astonishing... but that didn't make the helpless feelings go away. Lazarus had taken so much from both of them; Kerr wished for nothing less than a fiery, painful ending for the man.

"Love you, too," he murmured, kissing Ben's temple before the door opened. When told they would now be seen, he sent a sensation of bolstered confidence to Ben, flavouring it with love and admiration, letting his faith in his partner travel through their blood. He held Ben's hand as they followed the staff member to wherever Charon was waiting to receive them, feeling much like a schoolchild being marched to the principal's office for a reprimand. He knew that feeling would only intensify once he got close to the ancient one.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 03:46:56 PM »
They were shown to a drawing room on the floor directly below. The room was most often referred to as the Winter Room, decorated in whites, pale blues, silvers and glass topped furniture. In contrast to its cool colours and wintery appeal, a fire blazed in the hearth which greatlywarmed the room. Tomorrow night they would be sitting in it’s mirrored opposite, the Autumnal room.

Charon was already seated and waiting for them. He was in a white leather armchair facing it matching sofa, a pale blue rug connecting them with a glass coffee table in between. A custom made snow globe that showed Penbrook manor inside was the centrepiece.

Please, sit, Charon bade them, speaking to both at once, and gestured at the sofa. Ben and Kerr sat closely together. I welcome you both to stay as long as needed.

“Thank you,” Ben said. “Is it alright if I talk?”

Of course, you must be exhausted after tonight's events.

“I’ve invited Ichabod to come here also, because, um...”

I understand you fear for his safety. He is welcome as well as any other of your alliances. Let’s get to the short end of the matter. What happened?

Ben opened his mouth, closed it again and pressed his hands to his face, covering it. His body shook with the effort of keeping it all in.

Should I look for myself, f you are unable to speak of it?

“NO!” Ben burst, his hands moving to each side of his face, aghast. “I... I don’t want to relive it.”

He looked to Kerr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 05:53:04 PM »
Kerr was glad of the seat, for he had to fight to stay upright before Charon's... immensity. In such a beautiful room, he should've been a blight but was somehow more vibrant, more powerful and more regal than before. As predicted, he was overwhelming and Kerr found his own raw emotions and vulnerable sensibilities aggravated by the voice in his head, leaving him mute and thoughtless. He couldn't make eye contact with the patriarch but it had nothing to do with the undesirability of his veneer and everything to do with his potency. There were no buffers when it was just the three of them and Kerr's tongue felt like a bloated carcass in his mouth.

But then a crack appeared in Ben's defences and it rippled along their bloodline like an embolism seeking a heart; silent and secretive, ready to undo them with its malignancy. Kerr rallied. His response was sent to both of the men with him, despite his trepidation at speaking directly into such an aged mind. Charon came with a feeling of age, Kerr's thought-words released like a feather falling into an archaic, deep well, where the shafts of light could only reach a certain point.

Ben's mind was springier and their bloodbond allowed an instinctive give and take that Kerr was old enough and experienced enough to monitor, even while he cast his thoughts into Charon's abyss. Ben corrected him as he spoke and Kerr relished the mental merry-go-round, for it helped him loosen up. It was something besides his own fawning or inadequacy to concentrate on and made him surprisingly nostalgic for the chaos of mental communication with Sawyl and the twins. By comparison, two thought streams was a simple task. He was unaware that his mental voice had a far thicker and more prominent Irish brogue than his actual, culturally-diverse voice did.

Lazarus forced Ben to have sex with him. Jake didn't believe him - no, Jake did believe him and told him to run. When Ben got upstairs, Lisa-Joe stopped - er, she hurt him and arrested him. Ben was locked in her office, where he sent the email from. And also the files you got. We're afraid Jake will seek revenge or restitution for that and maybe he and Lazarus will come after him - Jake probably put Lazarus up to the rape... um, possibly. Though... that's unconfirmed. We don't know the full story, either.

Kerr frowned, torn between absolute horror at the notion that Jake might do such a heinous thing - doubting Ben's theory - and Ben's conviction that he was telling the truth. It was easy to be swayed by the power of Ben's assertions but the final words he'd sent to Charon were his own amendments. He'd lost all respect for Jake the night he'd agreed to take Ben into his home but he found it difficult to believe he'd ordered Lazarus to rape Ben. That was sickening.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 06:50:51 PM »
Charon took it all in, listening to the story unfold. Ben had paid a higher price than Charon had anticipated. He’d thought maybe a whipping or strap for humiliation, and wounds would heal. Jake had struck him as the type who would prefer to push his weight around in a physical way, plus the rumours of his warlord nature and the rabble he kept company with... ready to punch and kick and bite.

I apologise that I misjudged what would happen to you. I have no contact or knowledge of Lazarus, as he has kept out of our way. Consider not only your debt owed, but that our family owes you. I fear that the act of sending the files will put us on the back foot with Jake McCloud more than the information is useful... but I applaud your action during an extremely difficult moment. What were you arrested for?

Charon looked to Kerr, assuming that the sire would continue to speak for Ben. Even Charon could feel the churning turmoil inside Ben.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 09:16:26 PM »
As Ben tried to remember what had happened in order to answer Charon, he became increasingly agitated, his mind warring between wanting to reply and fighting against returning to the trauma. Kerr knew he had to get a little creative to bring him back to centre.

Close your eyes, he instructed and, when his fledgling complied, he called on most of the skills he'd developed through his years living with his mentally superior family. With great confidence, he pressed on the sensory centres of Ben's brain and took him back to the ocean. The rhythm. The isolation. The... teal? His sense of query was met with the slightest lift of the corner of Ben's mouth, which augured his return to calm. Ben took a breath and looked at Kerr with shining silver eyes in a look that shot all the way through Kerr and down to his toes, filling him with love.

He doesn't really remember, Kerr explained to Charon (and Ben). It was something to do with getting in her way. He was told to run, to come back to me, but she stopped him and slapped him. Once Ben had centred himself, the pain of her striking him had resonated, the tingles occurring on his sire's cheek briefly. Kerr looked at Charon for the first time, frowning. She's either a fucking idiot or a completely heartless bitch. I can't understand why she'd lock him up when he was permitted to leave. Have you had anything to do with her?

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 10:54:33 PM »
Charon cast his mind for the name. When he couldn't think of who she was, he reached out to the family. After hearing from the younger ones, he shared all that he knew.

Lisa-Joe was at our function last night, but was seen leaving very early with another ancient. Someone called Sebastien... he didn't provide a last name at the door and we didn't have one for our invitations. I am unaware if they are... excuse me.

Kerr would feel another mind twanging close to their mental connection, like an overheard conversation on another phone line, distant and tinny. After a short moment that muffled conversation closed firmly, like someone shutting a door. Charon's voice returned to both Kerr and Ben.

Lisa-Joe has not dealt directly with us, even though she is high up in McCloud's organisation. Neither has Lazarus. It seems Mr McCloud wishes to keep his people away from us. I understand his fledge, Samantha Rede, is employed by you at the Academy, Ben? What do you want to happen after tonight? What result would you like?

Ben blinked his surprise. Lisa-Joe, Lazarus and Sam had all been thrown out there. As what, though? Leverage? Was Charon thinking of using them?

"I don't want to be your pawn, anymore," Ben said. "I don't want to be scared to go into the city central  or west districts. I have family and friends there." He thought of Ichabod and Murphy who lived in the city, and Vincent and Owen who lived in the west.

Charon regarded him for a long moment. And what of your attackers?

Ben looked from Charon to Kerr for ideas. He had no idea. He felt foolish for being unable to think of a suitable punishment.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 09:29:57 AM »
If there was one thing Kerr had, it was a lot of ideas - especially regarding punishing Lazarus.

Lazarus is a particularly reprehensible being. He's brought ruin and catastrophe to this city. Twice. In my former role--actually, whilst performing his former role, he was a dangerous nuisance. Now I know that his menace has increased again, I'm advocating his ending. Two thousand years of him staining the planet is surely enough? Let me introduce you, Kerr thought grimly and proceeded to do just that.

Into Charon's ancient mind and Ben's nonplussed one, he projected a series of vignettes: Lazarus' best hits, according to Kerr. He began with his beginning in the city; recalling the chaos he, Sawyl and the twins had witnessed when Lazarus and Halwyn's apocalypse had been in full swing; the terror of the mortal population, the effects of societal collapse, how difficult it had been to live civilly. Next, was the phase where Lazarus had toyed with Ichabod and discarded him when the amusement slowed down. He shared the time he'd found Lazarus fucking a corpse in an alley while Ben looked on and his own (regrettable) mercy when reclaiming Ben afterwards. He showed countless memories of Lazarus' apathetic attitude towards leadership as Luminary of the Oligarchy, including the night Jake McCloud had come requesting help with a Sabbat invasion and Lazarus had advocated killing him just because he was boring and impertinent (oh, the irony of that one!). Finally, he communicated his blackmail into becoming an Oligarch, the fear for his family and antagonism Lazarus had caused him to suffer, taunting him again and again and again.

Now he's raped Ben and I just want to open this hole from my chest and push him into it so that we'll never have to deal with him again. Or watch his head be separated from his body. Either one works for me... anything to stop my family living in fear of that fucking monster. Kerr took Ben's hand and squeezed it, radiating love and righteousness as he glared at Charon, wondering if he'd defend a creature just because he'd lived a long time.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 12:52:15 PM »
Charon grew still as Kerr projected all those memories into him. He became pensive after Kerr spoke (though had no clue what the 'hole in my chest' comment was about).

Your emotions are understandable. Certainly, I've passed judgement on those who've harmed my family so I am inclined to agree with you, Kerr. This Lazarus is an unchecked danger to the city and risks attention by the general populace. I am surprised he was given any kind of power, but you have shown me that he is the type to find it. I do not know what Jake McCloud's plans for him are, so I cannot promise you an ending until I know more.

His gaze found Ben. I release the pair of you from any favours I asked of you. You have given more than I wanted. I will protect you as much as I am able. If sending those emails require you go to trial for them and you are found guilty, rest assured I have favours to call on from Jake. I will not let you be punished further.

All of his original plans were shifting and changing - his recent meeting with the dark angels would have to arrive at a different solution. He couldn't just burn Jake McCloud now without consequences. Too many players were attached to him. It would be hard to keep everyone on side but he would do his best to stop the ripples.

Is there anything else you wish to ask me while I am here? I might not be readily available to you in the coming nights.