Author Topic: Fresh Start, Fresh Ink  (Read 14928 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Fresh Start, Fresh Ink
« on: February 27, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »
The sun was just setting now, golden fingers reaching through the trees and between the buildings of the South District, touching the window of the backseat of the cab.  This city was packed with potential and Astrid was impatient to dig in.  After being on the move for so long she was looking forward to getting to know the little nooks and crannies of this city.  Well, that was the plan anyway--if all went well.  She had a good feeling about this, though.  The next step would be to find someplace to stay and work and that would set everything else in motion.  But for now, she was more interested in some tattoo therapy.

No dwelling now.  This was a fresh city, a new start.  There was only moving forward.  If she stopped then...

Astrid paid the cab driver from one of several envelopes stuffed with bills, hoisted her bulging backpack--with everything she owned--over her shoulder and turned toward the building looming ahead.  The eight-story structure was positively crackling with magic, and Astrid had no doubt in her mind that this was the right place.  It wasn’t what she had expected when she heard tales of Saint Sabrina, but she knew that things were not what they seemed--especially when magic was involved.  It would be nice to be around such an awesome source of power again, and it was almost enough to make her homesick. 

Hesitantly she approached the large oak doors and rapped three times, unsure of what she would find inside and how she would be received. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Fresh Start, Fresh Ink
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2019, 11:29:45 AM »
The doors swung open of their own accord after the first knock, revealing a chaotic interior.

The grand chandeliers had been rehung and glittered with ever-burning candles, as bright and sharp as only freshly-cleaned crystal could be. The scaffolding lining the walls teemed with human activity, and an overwhelming smell of fresh paint permeated the space as wild murals took shape under their busy hands. The soft furniture had been relegated to one corner and covered with drapes to protect it, but the heavy oak coffee and side tables gleamed, freshly varnished, in the candlelight, surrounded by Eames-inspired bright, plastic chairs.

Astrid would feel the energy in the house as an electric thing, as clear and loud as the the laughter that rang through the lobby from the small groups of people (and people-shaped-etceteras) gathered about the lobby. Some chatted amongst themselves, a few read books or worked on laptops by themselves, and one particularly loud cadre was engaged in a rousing game of scrabble. If Astrid didn't know better, she might think the old hotel was proud of itself.

"Hi! Hello!" Called a young woman with rainbow curls from the old check-in desk, waving manically "How can I help you?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 12:11:13 PM »
Astrid blinked a few times, adjusting to the change of energy from outside to inside as the door swung open.  No, this place was positively alive--crackling with magic was a serious understatement.  The energy was contagious here and a grin stretched across her face.  She had to know more about this place!  It was definitely nothing like she expected, and it seemed very silly to have any expectations at all to begin with.  There was something interestingly complex lurking here--a kind of darkness but nothing that she was intimidated or put off by.  Life was more than love and light.

She could feel herself passing through a powerful kind of protection spell as she crossed over the threshold of the hotel, and was met with a feeling of safety and security that was all the more welcoming.  Relaxation touched the tension from the long cab ride and she exhaled softly with release.  Somewhere in the back of her mind was the impulse to remain on guard--but she was so tired and it was so nice to be around something new but familiar at the same time.

Her eyes were drawn first to the murals, resisting the urge to make a beeline to them to study closer.  She loved watching artists work, the thought process and decision making that lead up to the birth of the piece itself.  It was an intimate thing, to be able to watch this process unfold.  She could have watched for hours--and she wanted to!  Astrid was surprised at the number of people who lingered about, socializing or doing their own things.  It was very dorm-like.  All of this reminded her of college--and her chest was gripped with feelings of bittersweetness so much so that she held her breath for a moment.

But enough of that.  Someone was talking.

"Uh--yes, hello!"  She approached the colorful-haired woman at the desk, boots squeaking on the hardwoods.  "I was looking to get a tattoo?  Is there a way I could make an appointment or get any more information?"  Word of mouth hadn't given her much to go on.  The tattoo was definitely the top priority but she also wanted to meet this Saint Sabrina.  From the little information she had gathered, she was someone who was to be both feared and trusted. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2019, 10:57:20 AM »
"Sure!" Chirped the young woman. She bent and pulled a huge, old appointment book from just under the check-in desk. It opened with an impressive 'fwump', "Looks like Sabrina has some availability this week. When works for you?"

Just then, a woman's voice spoke, low and melodic, from the ether behind the young lady, "That's quite alright, Tansy, I have a moment now to talk. I'll be along shortly. In the meantime, do see if our guest is interested in joining us for family dinner?"

Tansy must have felt that that statement spoke for itself, because once she was done listening, she smiled with half of her mouth and shrugged one shoulder. "There's food in the kitchen if you're interested! I think it's tater-to casserole and stone soup."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
Astrid managed not to jump at the voice emanating from the air--who she assumed was Sabrina herself.  There was a little flutter of nervous excitement in her gut, shortly followed by some enthusiastic gurgling.  Hot food?  This place just kept getting more awesome the longer she was here.

"That sounds amazing, thank you.  Is there someplace I could stash my bag?"  The backpack, while bursting as it was, held more than it appeared.  Enchanted with sigils hand-stitched into the fabric it allowed her to keep several sets of clothing, a set of pliers, some snacks, several books, all of her magical tools, a small collection of Moleskine notebooks and dozens of pens to name a few.  She made a mental note to stitch a few more to help with the weight--but hopefully, she wouldn't have to be lugging it all over the place anymore. 

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2019, 10:25:01 AM »
"You can leave it here with me," Tansy beamed at her like a little ray of sunshine, reaching a hand over the counter both to shake and grab the bag, "I'm Tansy."

"Kitchen's that-a-way, through the dining room," she pointed to her left, "Just follow your nose."

Astrid would find the dining room and industrial kitchen also in the midst of being renovated, but mostly serviceable. There was huge pot of a thick stew warming over a low flame on the gleaming stovetop, and several pans of casserole on the black marble counters. Bowls, plates and cutlery were set out appropriately. Most of the other guests had already served themselves, and moved back out to the lobby, so there was no line to wait in.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 10:10:31 AM »
“Astrid.”  She took the extended hand, gave it a firm shake, and was hit with the immediate pulse of knowledge that, despite appearances, Tansy was no human.  Astrid’s best guess was some kind of fae, though the vision gave no other information with this brief contact and lack of effort to get a better reading on her part.  The only thing that gave away her sudden vision was a slight flinch, but she smiled warmly and added “It’s good to meet you” to make up for it.  Tansy seemed cool--there was nothing to worry about there.  This city was bound to be full of interesting surprises and non-human beings.  At least, that was the word that had been traveling the wind.

“Thank you for your help!  Oh, and this is heavier than it looks.”  She shrugged the backpack off her shoulder and gingerly handed it over the desk.  Turning toward the direction that Tansy pointed, she inhaled deeply and exhaled with a sigh.  Another grumble from her stomach urged her forward.  Why hadn’t she stopped for food first before coming here?  The kitchen wasn’t hard to find, and the closer she walked the more her stomach seemed to vocalize. 

She approached the soup, feeling a wash of comfort as she took the ladle in her right hand.  No harm adding a little something of her own to this ‘stone soup’--it was the least she could do as thanks.  Astrid took a slow breath and fixed a gaze into the pot.  Summoning up the warm embrace of Earth from her feet, she stirred deosil three times before pouring some into a bowl for herself.  Her grandmother was always saying that soup should feel like a hug, and Astrid couldn’t help but carry on the little spell as tradition.

Moving out of the kitchen, she went to where everyone else was sitting and eating, finding a quiet unoccupied space to sit.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:42:29 AM »
Shortly after she finished her meal, Astrid would notice an exceptionally tall woman wearing a long blue dress making her way through the room from  the hallway beyond the dining room.

She stopped and made pleasantries with a few other tables before settling into the chair across from Astrid. Up close, the young witch would see that Sabrina's dress was a simple jersey cotton affair, and the height was not a product of a high heel; Sabrina was barefoot. In one hand, she carried a small notebook."Good evening Astrid," Sabrina smiled broadly, and extended a large hand, "I'm Sabrina. Welcome to my home. You're here for a tattoo?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 11:16:14 AM »
"Hello Sabrina, it's good to meet you."  She took Sabrina's hand, feeling the ripple of something--what the hell was that?--on top of the demon in her blood.  The height she was prepared for.  The power that hummed throughout she was prepared for.  But that something else--it was like another presence entirely.

"Yes, I am here for a tattoo--but also to meet you.  I've uh heard some things about you during my travels,"  Astrid paused, wondering if she should add where she pulled the information from but decided it wasn't necessary information to offer. "Good things of course!"  She hurried to add with a slight blush.

"I've been looking for a place to relocate and heard that you were to be trusted, that this city was a place for the... Unusual."  What kinds of Unusual didn't need elaboration.  "I was wondering if I could ask for your opinion of this city, and if you knew of a good place to stay temporarily until I can find my own way."  She wanted to ask so many questions--like was it safe here?  Were there other witches?  What was the city like?  But Astrid felt hesitant and maybe a touch self-conscious.  While she felt a reassuring presence from Sabrina--and the whole building really--they had only just met.  She should've planned this conversation a little better--it may have been a little unfair to ask for this kind of information right off the bat.  It was really only going to be about the tattoo--why was she suddenly spilling all of the other things on her mind? 

"Oh, and I do have a little sketch of an idea for this tattoo I am interested in."  She added.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 01:55:45 AM »
The witch laughed gently as Astrid blushed. While diverse, theirs was a relatively small community. You didn't live as long and as loud as Sabrina had without making a few waves, "It hasn't always been good things. Some still call me 'Dogwitch' with good reason." She winked, "Slings and arrows though, right? We do the best we can with what we're given."

"The Parlor still functions as a hostel; you're welcome to stay here if you'd like, as long as you pitch in with family dinner and around the house. There's also the Detour Motel to the north." 

Sabrina held out a hand, for the sketchbook, placing her won notebook on the table, "Certainly. May I see it?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 03:12:31 AM »
Visible relief washed over her--so she could stay here?  That would be amazing.

"Oh--right!"  Astrid reached inside her jacket for the small sketchbook she had stowed in there.  She flipped past a few pages--sketches of people she had seen along the way, quick designs for jewelry, intricate plans for daggers, complex sigils in progress--before finally coming to the page with her tattoo idea.  For the briefest of moments, she seemed reluctant to pass it to Sabrina.  It was a very personal artifact and she wasn't sure what sort of information could be gleaned from touching it.  The only witch's hand that it had ever felt was her own.  She had meant to make a copy on a loose piece of paper but hadn't gotten around to it--but that was her own fault. 

"I was interested in getting these on the backs of my shoulders and down the backs of my arms--would you call that a shoulder cap?  Well, you get the idea.  Any variation with the design is fine--I'm not looking for an exact copy so long as it encompasses the general ideas and purpose."  The drawing of two ravens with wings spread was done in thick black lines, save for the runes on their backs, which were more delicate. 

"To let Huginn and Muninn widen my sight."  She added quietly, watching Sabrina's face as she looked at the drawings. 

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
Sabrina drew a hand over the parchment, feeling the intention behind the markings humming up through her fingertips. The rest of the book clamored back at her from below it as well; plans laid more carefully than the other witch's exterior would imply.

The spellwork would be simple enough, and better if they worked in tandem.

"Have you ever done anything like this before, or are those your own work?" she asked, gaze flicking to the eyes at Astrid's temples.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 11:31:22 AM »
Astrid touched one of the tattoos in question as if just realizing it was there.  "Yes, they are mine."  She remembered the hours in front of the mirror, making each mark one small dot at a time.

"And these are as well."  She rested her hands gently on the table, drumming them lightly a few times before pulling them away. 

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2019, 10:36:37 AM »
"It's good work." Sabrina nodded her approval, "It will be interesting to see how we work together."

She gathered up her notebook, and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, "I'd like you to feast or fast --  whichever your practice prefers -- for the next two days. Keep silent during this time, as well as you're able. The house may speak to you. If it does, keep its secrets. We'll meet back here at 11:30 that night. Is there anything you need me to know about your Magic?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2019, 11:12:26 AM »
Coloring slightly at the compliment as though it were an unexpected thing to hear, Astrid muttered a quick thank you before Sabrina continued. 

She would fast and meditate for two days.  The excitement of weaving magic with another witch was slowly beginning to creep in.  The last time she had worked a spell had been back home with family--but that was an entirely different matter.  She had her entire life to grow into the way their energy harmonized.  It was as familiar as breathing.

"Not that I can think of," there wasn't anything about her magic that she could foresee being an issue "Was there something specific you had in mind?"

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 01:19:30 PM »
Sabrina shook her head, "No, just anything obvious like 'i bleed poison' or 'there's a spectre attached to me that kills anyone inflicting harm on my body instantly'." Something in her tone implied these were not imagined examples.

She stood, then, and held out her hand. "See you soon, Astrid."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 03:04:36 AM »
"I'm terribly mundane in that respect." She smirked, thinking that those sounded like interesting stories. 

She shook Sabrina's hand--something incomprehensible flashing into her mind much too quickly to digest--and muttered a quiet "See you soon."

Astrid watched her leave before finally standing and taking the dishes with her back to the kitchen.  With her mind strangely blank she stood at the sink mechanically washing, then drying, the bowl and spoon. 

Returning to the front desk, she gave Tansy a warm smile.  "Thanks for hanging on to my stuff.  How would I go about getting a room?  It looks like I'll be staying here for a little while."

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 09:49:26 PM »
Tansy had been reading an old issue of 17 magazine as Astrid approached, and she left it open on the counter when her attention was torn away. "Sure thing!" she chirped.

She hauled Astrid's bag up and set it on the counter before turning to the rack of keys behind her. She picked one and handed it over. "333" read the flaking gold lettering on the diamond-shaped keyring attached. "Stay as long as you like, just leave your key when you go. Elevator's over there --" she pointed "--you just gotta be patient with it. The house is kinda weird. 4th floor and basement are off limits without Sabs. No hard drugs, and no violence unless everyone involved is into it. Got it?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 05:26:35 AM »
“Yes Ma’am,”  Astrid replied with a smile, pocketing the key and hoisting the backpack over a shoulder. “See you later I guess!”

She made her way to the elevator, stopping at the door and pressing the button for up.  There was some clicking and whirring, then silence.  Waiting a few seconds she listened, then pressed the button again.  Something like a wheezing seemed to be coming from behind the doors.  Patience.  She sighed quietly through her nose and shifted the backpack from one shoulder to the other, spinning the ring around her right thumb.  After a minute or so, the clicking and whirring began again and the elevator doors slid open. 

“Thank you,” she whispered under her breath, devoid of any sarcasm, and stepped inside. 

After placing the backpack on the floor of the elevator, she pushed the button for the third floor.  The doors to the elevator shuddered a bit before closing.  Astrid hoped that she wouldn’t be trapped in here for a long time, and was relieved when it had started to move.  It stopped at the second floor and opened halfway before, as if realizing it’s mistake, closing again.  Astrid smirked and pressed the button for the third floor again.  The elevator shook a bit before rocketing up, then coming to a smooth stop and slowly opening.  She stepped out and gave it a smile and a little wave before continuing on down the candlelit hallway.

The first few doors had seemingly random objects attached to the front.  She had half the mind to examine them closer but the idea of a hot shower was pulling her forward.  There was nothing attached to the door of room 333, she noted, sliding the key into the lock and turning the knob. 

The bed was a welcome sight, and after putting her bag on the floor she headed over and flopped face-first onto the mattress--promptly passing out for a solid hour nap.

Astrid awoke with a jolt at the sound of whispering that stopped the second she opened her eyes.  Probably just the house, she concluded, drawing herself into a sitting position, shrugging off her leather jacket and kicking off her boots.  The whispering picked up again and the witch whipped her head around towards the window, listening intently.  Again, there was only silence.

She peeled off her clothes and kicked them into the corner of the room before walking into the bathroom.  The deep bathtub was a welcome sight, and she wasted no time turning on the tap as hot as she could stand.  Turning towards the sink, she removed her fox bone necklace and placed it gingerly on the counter near a little arrangement of soap and shampoo bottles.  She examined herself in the mirror, running her fingers along the tattooed blade on her chest and twisting around to gently press the yellowish-brown bruising at her left side. 

Mouth a tight line, she turned away and crossed over to the bathtub, testing the water for temperature before turning off the tap.  The faucet dripped a few times creating ripples on the surface.  She was about to step inside before realizing that she had something she could add to the tub. 

Back into the bedroom, she picked up her backpack and moved to the bed, dumping its many, many contents out onto the blanket.  Probably not the best idea, she thought, shaking the pack a few more times to let the last few objects tumble out.  There was an impressive pile to sort through and it eclipsed a good portion of the bed.  But that would have to wait.

Astrid pulled a corked bottle from the pile, knowing instinctually where in the mess it was buried.  She took it back with her into the bathroom and tipped the black salt--mixed with sage, lavender, and mugwort--into the hot water, turning it to ink.  Now she slid, wincing slightly, into the scalding water with a great exhale.  The heat worked slowly into her aching muscles and she closed her eyes in an attempt to clear her mind.

There was blackness behind her eyelids and each breath brought a swirling vision closer to clarity.  She stilled herself, drawing her energy close to her core and focusing on the place where the water touched her skin.  Breathing from the belly, letting it rise and fall rhythmically, she began to test the boundaries of her body--to see if she could feel herself float just outside of herself.  Inhale.  Exhale.  Inhale.  Exhale.  Focusing on the sound of wind passing through her lungs, she counted each breath and let each muscle in her body relax one by one.  Gradually she moved about an inch over herself in the astral, mind blank and still as an obsidian mirror.

Black feathers. 
Drops of blood coming together like a rushing river. 
Rows of cruel twisting horns. 
Flapping of a legion of wings. 
A long twisting path down a dark wood. 
Howling. 
Sulfuric smoke rising from the city.

She shot up from beneath the cold bathwater, unaware that she had even gone under, looking around wildly and gasping--gulping for air.  Gripping the side of the tub she struggled to regain her breath, pounding heart near bursting from her chest.  Shakily she grabbed the soap from the side of the tub and washed, not knowing what to make of the visions.  She finished the bath in a hurry, sitting in the tub as the water was pulled down the drain.  With more control over the shaking, she stepped out and walked toward the sink for a towel to dry. 

Still rubbing the towel over her skin, she walked back into the bedroom and toward the mess of things in a pile on the bed.  What time is it?  She reached for her discarded pants and looked through the pockets for her phone. 

It was 6 am.  6 am?

She stared incredulously at the cellphone, rubbing her eyes a few times as if expecting that to change.  It did not. 

Astrid seriously regretted dumping her entire life out onto the bed and grumpily shoved half the pile aside, careful not to let any fall off on the other side of the bed.  She crawled under the covers, hair still wet, and closed her eyes.

By the time she awoke again, it was well past 3 pm and her stomach complained loudly.  With hair matted to the side of her head, she slithered out of bed and rummaged through her pile for some fresh clothing. 

The first day of her fasting she spent going through her things on the bed.  Clothing was put into the closet, notebooks in a stack on the bedside table, labeled envelops filled with bills shoved in a drawer, miscellaneous bottles were stowed in the bathroom and all of her tools were arranged on the desk.  There was still a decent amount of things still left on the bed. 

She settled cross-legged onto the floor at the foot of the bed with a threaded-needle, an open notebook, and her backpack.  Remembering to stay silent, she refrained from her usual humming as she stitched a new sigil into the fabric.  The process took under five minutes and she sealed the spell with a quick kiss before scooping the rest of her collection back into it.  What little remained of the day she spent in meditation, shuffling tarot cards and cautiously exploring the visions from the previous evening. 

Nothing was clarified. 

Frustrated she went to sleep, only to be awoken twice in the night.  The first time a vision of blinding light came from her window, accompanied by the distant sound of beating drums and the rhythmic pounding of hooves on cobblestone.  The witch sat straight up, the vision dissolving as she rubbed the grogginess from her eyes.  She sighed, not bothering to look for the time, and settled back down again to sleep.  The second time she awoke was to the sound of a chorus of singing complete with accordion and fiddles--a familiar bar song.  She almost groaned aloud, but kept silent, glaring about the room as the vision dissipated.  It took her longer to fall asleep this time.

On the second day, the hunger was easier to bear.  She sat on the floor in the morning wearing nothing but the fox bone necklace.  With her black bone casting cloth spread in front of her, she tipped the contents of a sigil-embellished leather bag out onto it.  She studied the configuration of bones, stones, and bits of things for many hours, jotting down a few notes in her notebook here and there.  There was something going on in the city soon--she was to wander the next day and be witness.  No further details were provided. 

She pulled on a pair of dark wash jeans and a loose translucent forest green teeshirt.  Astrid stepped into her boots, grabbed her jacket and stuffed a notebook, the key to the room, and a few other things (that looked like they shouldn’t rightfully fit) in her pockets before heading out the door.  She put on her jacket on the way to the elevator, pressed the button for down and waited.  It seemed to cooperate much better this time, and she made it to the first floor with no issues.  She crossed into the foyer and out the door, fumbling in her jacket for a cigarette and lighter as she went.

It was barely an hour till midnight and the clear sky twinkled with spots of starlight around a huge full moon.  The witch walked a little ways from the building, down the circular drive and out to the street before lighting the tip of the cigarette dangling from her lips.  The energy from a full moon always set her skin tingling.  Back home they would be placing jars of water out on the windowsill to catch the energy for potions later.  Astrid would do that herself had she the place to store that kind of thing--she had the mind to collect enough moon water to cool a freshly-forged blade.  Someday.

She wondered how the tattoo process would go.  Her last tattoo was the sword, done by mundane human hands purely for aesthetic (okay, maybe a little symbolism but nothing of the magical kind).  She had nothing to go on save her own magical tattooing experiences, and she wasn’t entirely sure what to expect.  Would Sabrina mix anything into the ink--or would this be solely energy workings?  There was a kind of excitement in not knowing, and she finished the cigarette with a smile on her face.

At precisely 11:15, Astrid walked over to where Sabrina had told her they would meet, smiling in greeting at various people she passed along the way.  She knew that she was early, and settled down into a chair to draw for a time while she waited.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2019, 11:27:57 PM »
They met at the landing of the grand staircase, where there were several framed photos and a tall, solid oak door that lead to, seemingly, nowhere. Sabrina smiled as she approached, moments behind Astrid. She was dressed simply again, in a black jersey dress and ballet flats. "Ready?"

When the other witch nodded her assent, Sabrina lifted a photo showing a concrete room with a tattooist's chair down off the wall and hung it on a nail on the door. When the door opened, the room in the photo was behind it.

Sabrina gestured for Astrid to have a seat in the chair, and settled herself on a rolling stool before beginning to set up.  "Did you see anything?" she asked mildly.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2019, 11:58:28 PM »
Astrid watched the opening of the door with rapt fascination.  This hotel--and Sabrina--continued to impress her.  Not wanting to be caught starstruck, she put on a more serious face and removed her jacket as she stepped into the room.  She thought about removing her shirt, since the piece was for her back, but decided to wait first.

The witch hadn't expected to be asked that question, and it showed for a moment in her features. 

"Yes."  She hesitated, sighing before elaborating.  "Many things.  Some harmless, others..."  She trailed off, a look of concern set in.  Her visions in the bath on the first night were most troubling.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 12:21:23 AM »
Sabrina nodded. Good. She'd prepared appropriately, then. She did not ask what the house had shown Astrid; it wasn't hers to know. She snapped on a pair of black nitrile gloves. Stencils of Astrid's designs were tacked to a crowded corkboard above the table.

"The house is sort of an entity unto itself," explained the giant. She didn't look up from her tasks as she spoke. A sheet of plastic wrap went down fits, covering a section of the metal table beside the chair, then she tore quite a few paper towels off the roll hanging above the table. Everything appeared to be going according to normal sterile tatooing technique. "I've been practicing here for...fifty years? Jesus." She shook her head. How fast the time went, "It changes a place, no matter how big or small."

She set several small plastic caps onto the plastic, fixed into place with a dollop of skin ointment, and filled them with black ink. "When you open yourself up to it, it can show you the future, or things you need to see." At tattoo machine was pulled from a drawer under the table, cords wrapped in plastic, and hooked up to the motor affixed to the table.

She pulled down the stencils, then, and turned to Astrid, "Shirt off, if you don't mind."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 12:39:00 AM »
"Well, it woke me up at least twice and I almost drowned in the bath," she laughed lightly at herself, not truly concerned for her safety.  It was probably the lavender in the salt.  The mugwort too--nothing needed amplifying in this place so that probably didn't help.  Astrid watched as Sabrina set up the tools.  That familiar thrum of excitement was building, and she couldn't stop the smile from coming through.

The shirt came off at Sabrina's prompting, revealing the fox bone necklace against her bare skin, and she tossed her shirt over by her jacket.  Her hand unconsciously went to rub at the old bruise, but she was otherwise unaffected by being completely topless. 

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 12:39:50 PM »
When the young woman said she'd nearly drowned, Sabrina's brow creased, "You were not harmed, though, yes?" When Astrid shook her head no, the giant visibly relaxed, "Good. I would've been very cross with the house if that were the case."

As if in answer, a door slammed somewhere in an adjoining room. Sabrina paid it no mind.

Her eyes fell on the fox's jaw hanging about the other witch's neck, and she smiled. A good totem.

Next came the placement of the stencils on Astrid's shoulders. a squeeze bottle of green soap assisted, and it took them a few tries to get them just right, but they both felt it when the marks fell into their place, like a mental clicking of matched stones.

Sabrina changed her gloves again, ready to begin. But this was Astrid's show, "Do you need words to channel your intentions?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 10:49:28 PM »
"No, just...give me a second." Astrid wriggled a bit and closed her eyes. 

Deep inhale and exhale.
Swirling blackness behind eyelids.
Slipping into dark still water.
Rustling wings.

Any signs of tension drained visibly from her body as her mind grounded like a weight sinking to the bottom of a lake.  Astrid peeled back the protective layers of her mind, allowing herself to be open to the energy flowing from the house--and Sabrina.  It felt a bit like being inches from a raging river with an impossibly swift current.  The witch stilled her mind.

"Okay, I'm ready."  her voice was deeper with a serious calm. 

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 03:10:30 AM »
As Astrid prepared herself, Sabrina pulled a tightly-wound bundle of holly twigs and jasmine flowers from another drawer and set it burning, the fragrant smoke creeping into the air above their heads. She also selected small glass dropper bottle from the drawer, and placed one drop each of its contents on her eyelids, tongue, and the hollow of her throat. the liquid had an oily shine in the low light. Internally, the older witch similarly stilled herself, connecting with each part of her body individually to commit herself wholly to the moment, and to the task at hand.

After Sabrina set the tattooist chair flat and directed Astrid to lie down on her front, there was very little spoken between them -- but from the moment needle touched skin, their communication was constant. Sabrina directed her intent down through her hands and into her instrument, joining her energy with Astrid's. Focused power flowed through her, intense, but never quite overwhelming. As she worked, Sabrina hummed a flat tone, harmonizing with the drone of the tattoo machine. Astrid moved when sabrina needed her to without needing to be told, as if their thoughts were one.

Sabrina shared Astrid's pain, but did not take it from her; it was as important to the process as the ink and blood. The other witch would also gradually begin to feel Sabrina touching her with something that was not her hands, pulling and stretching her freshly-inked skin as she worked. If she looked over her shoulder, she would see tendrils of black ooze spreading from beneath Sabrina's gloves -- no, that Sabrina's gloves were this same blackness, covering her arms to the elbow-- aiding in her work. If it scared her, Sabrina, would catch Astrid's eyes -- one of hers gone a pale, icy, blue, and smile gently to reassure her.

After about three wordless hours, the tattoos were finished, and Sabrina sat back in her stool after wiping Astrid's skin clean of ink and blood. She let her focused energy drain from her slowly, like a sigh.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 05:02:37 AM »
The scent of burning holly and jasmine was familiar, but the witch couldn't place it.  As soon as the needle touched her skin, Astrid's eyes became completely dilated and fixed forward--unblinking.  The pain of the process sent her deeper into a trance as she focused on the heat of it against her back.

She was sunk at the base of a rushing river, eyes wide open, walking slowly upstream against the current.  The water surged with power, rushing past her but not pushing her over.  In the distance, she heard the chorus of humming and buzzing as if they were underwater and she set her focus there on them as she moved onward.  The waters were dark and teeming with black tendrils that she felt move past her and around her.  Each step brought the humming closer, calling out over the din of a waterfall above.  Astrid reached the point of the river at the base of the waterfall now, unaffected by its thundering power overhead.  As her hands ran over the rocky wall she felt pulled suddenly upwards and out of the water.  The surface rushed forward and she squeezed her eyes shut as she pierced through it, rocketing into the sky.

A single eye opened slowly as she soared, circling the waterfall and river far below.  Somehow between breaking the surface of the river and taking flight, she had come to occupy the form of a raven.  This was enough to break Astrid's concentration, but Sabrina's hum (much closer now) held her steadily.

In the distance, well beyond the waterfall, was a massive tree.  The raven-witch was entranced by the sheer enormity of it, dwarfing the landscape.  Her single eye found another black dot circling the tree slowly, and she found herself pulled with urgency to this second raven.  At her approach, the tree filled her vision entirely.  There was a great pulsing emanating from its trunk like nothing she had felt before.  It was rhythmic, like some great heartbeat, and an overwhelming sense of awe grew within her that felt like sheer terror.  The hum pushed her forward still, giving her a kind of determination to continue onward and steel herself against the rush. 

As she circled closer she was joined by the second one-eyed raven, flying so close the tips of their wings nearly touched, and it was as though she were looking out from both of the ravens' single eyes.  She could feel tendrils at her back now, pulling and shifting feathers and skin as she flew.  There was something in the branches, hanging by a thick rope.  The sense of terror-stricken-awe grew, her heart beating like a hummingbird's wing, the humming drowning out the sound of wind rushing past.  As soon as her eyes rested on the figure of the bearded man hung by the neck, mouth open, the two ravens rushed forward at an impossible speed.  Before Astrid could react, the two ravens steered straight into the gaping mouth of the man and she came back into her body with an incredible force.

Sabrina had just finished wiping the freshly-tattooed skin at her back.  Astrid gasped, coming back into her limbs and struggling against reeling from the vision.  Eyes still dilated she shifted her body into a sitting position with her back to Sabrina.  The mist slowly cleared from her mind as she took several measured breaths to slow her racing heart. 

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 12:26:42 PM »
Sabrina placed a steadying hand at the small of Astrid's back, breathing with her, and sending calming energy her way as the Treacle receded back into her nailbeds.

"Will you share what you saw?" she asked, once the other witch had caught her breath.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 10:23:07 PM »
"Yggdrasil," came the answer of several whispers.  The final fingers of mist receded as her eyes came back into focus and shoulders released their tension.  She became aware of the hand on her back first, the dull throb of the fresh tattoo second.

Astrid cleared her throat, mouth suddenly dry. 

"I was walking upstream towards a waterfall, then I was in the air..." she cleared her throat.  "Sorry, could I get some water?"

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 12:53:39 AM »
Sabrina nodded her approval. They'd done good work, here.

"Certainly," she said, with a gentle smile. She rose from her chair and moved through the beaded curtain at the far end of the room. A gentle clinking of glass on glass, the hush of water from a tap, and she returned with a tall glass of cool water, which she handed to Astrid.

Once the other witch had finished drinking, Sabrina donned a fresh pair of gloves and set about covering the new tattoos in  A&D ointment and plastic wrap. She felt confident Astrid didn't need to be told how to take care of them.

She unpinned the smoking bundle of herbs from the cork board and stubbed it out on the table, signaling the end of their ritual, if not their time together.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2019, 03:00:04 AM »
Astrid downed the water a bit too quickly and sputtered a little.  Freshly-slathered and wrapped, she placed her feet on the ground and watched as the herbs were stubbed out.  Remembering her nakedness, she crossed over to where her shirt was to carefully pull it over her head.

"That was intense,"  she began with a tone of admiration.  "Thank you.  It feels...like it's always been there."  She smiled, jacket in hand.

"Oh--what do I owe you?"  Her hand went into the jacket, searching.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2019, 11:37:58 AM »
"I'm so glad!" The smile she wore told Astrid she meant it. She snapped off her gloves and tossed them in a biohazrd bin, along with all the blood-and-ink stained paper towels.

"You can owe me a favor, how does that sound?" Now that she was allied with the Sacramentum, and running the South, money was not as much on her mind (especially with the Parlor no long on the verge of collapse), but favors were always valuable.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
Astrid gave Sabrina a playful scowl.  "Ugh, fine."  However, she continued to feel around through her jacket until she pulled a small-ish wooden box from its depths.

"You have to at least take this though, I can't just owe you a favor for such incredible work."  And for letting her stay at the Parlour.  She would've continued to insist until Sabrina took the box.

Inside the box, nestled among some careful padding, was a well-preserved python skull.  In the eye sockets were two black obsidian spheres, polished to a brilliant shine.  Delicate tiny lines formed various runes along the jaw; sharp teeth all present.

"Thank you, really."

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2019, 10:27:24 AM »
The first insistence was enough, and Sabrina took the proffered box with a gracious tilt of her head, and opened it right then and there. Her fingertips grazed the runes with a feather's gentleness, feeling the charged blankness there. It was truly a lovely piece of craftsmanship, waiting for her to write its purpose. Sabrina realized she'd been quiet for too long

"Astrid, this is...quite something. Thank you." A pause, and she looked up at the other witch, "Would you be able to make it into a necklace for me? I'd love to wear it, when I figure out what it needs to be." Sabrina certainly had the skill to do it herself, but that seemed unconscionably rude.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2019, 10:38:54 AM »
Astrid brightened--Sabrina wanted to wear it?  How awesome was that!

"Absolutely."  She took the box back.

"I can probably have it done in under an hour.  How long would you like it?  And do you prefer leather, silver, copper, or gold for the necklace bit?"  Her mind was already planning excitedly, which was clearly evident given the rapid-fire questions.  She had a few tools and wire for wrapping somewhere in the jacket, but chains and leather were upstairs in her room.  There might be a bit of string in her jacket somewhere for taking a measurement though--and when she remembered this she went fishing in there again.

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2019, 11:08:28 AM »
"I prefer silver, or cold iron, if it's not too much trouble."

As to the under-an-hour part, Sabrina waved a hand. "I won't hear of it. Go, eat. Your body needs to recover. Something tells me it'll be hard for us to miss each other." Her eyes twinkled merrily, "The house is only so big."