Author Topic: Just your average, (super)ordinary Wednesday night.  (Read 11302 times)

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
Just your average, (super)ordinary Wednesday night.
« on: April 20, 2019, 09:20:20 AM »
Thread reserved for Billiam.  :smile:

You know… for an urban bar nestled in the corner of a building… in the middle of a street… that didn’t even have proper advertising… Business wasn’t doing too bad! Theo washed a couple glasses that had been discarded by a few of their patrons, looking around the room as they mentally took stock.

The old man at one corner of the bar had been Theo’s first client. They made him a shot that knocked him off his stool, because he had been foolish enough to doubt Theo’s skills. A wry smile and firm handshake later, he swore he’d be back every night. And he had! Good tipper, and only made conversation when there was a lull.

The party of four at the booth nearest the bar were the office buddies looking for a little escape. The woman, a bombshell beauty in a pencil skirt, was clearly infatuated with one of the other executives. From what Theo could gather, though, she had little chance, because he was definitely sleeping with her assistant. Or they were just very close when Rohan had caught them making out in the alley as he took the trash.

The remainder were new. Only real annoyance of a table were the three men sitting by the entrance -- making crude remarks just loud enough to be heard. Theo made special drinks for them, sure that they wouldn’t return. As the group got up to leave, they all sunk back into their booth. Only silent (for once) as their jaws hung slack, making no attempt to hide their obvious stares at the knock out red-head that walked through the entrance.

… knock out red-head…

Theo stared into space, mind taking time to buffer.

RED!

THAT’S IT!

Theo slapped their wet rag into the laundry bucket under the bar and grabbed a fresh one from beside it. I should have dyed my hair red for the grand opening! How could I be so absolutely off base? It looks so good on them! Theo brought a hand to their hair and pulled the short purple bangs forward. Purple is clearly not as “opening night” as red.

“I absolutely love your hair!” Theo exclaimed as they approached the bar. Coughing and grimacing, Theo ran their hands under the water, turned off the faucet, and wiped them on the clean towel hanging at their waist.

Theo’s unconscious, genuine smile was matched by the gentle plink of chilled stone cubes into a shallow glass. With one hand, they poured a generous amount of a brown liquid into the glass, while the other grasped under the counter for an unmarked glass bottle that contributed a few drops as well.

“I’m Theo, I use they/them pronouns, and welcome to the An Tsí.” Theo fetched a brown sugar cube and an orange peel from the assorted garnishments in front of them and combined them with the drink. One quick stir from a long silver spoon, and the glass slid across the bar in front of a vacant stool. “Old Fashioned? Made the bitters myself.”

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Just your average, (super)ordinary Wednesday night.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 09:58:33 AM »
The Harpy entered An Tsi, a dainty looking and well manicured hand being the first visible sign of the bird's entrance. Her red hair was the second thing people saw, and the Harpy considered that it was normally the first thing people saw. She let her gaze travel around the room, taking in all that she observed. Her soft eyes first saw the old man. Bar fly, she thought, dismissing him as a person of no importance. The crowd in the back were more interesting, and she was drawn to the woman in the pencil skirt. He's not into you, she thought, but let a cruel smile overtake her as she also thought, but I wouldn't kick you out of bed.

The harpy wore a maroon, sheer crop top, tight black jeans, heels the same color as the crop top and a pair of earnings made from barbed wire. She looked around, and found the place rather cozy. Everyone was looking at her, as they should. She was an important person to know. She moved deeper into the bar the moment her intended target complimented her.  The southern bell shook her head a bit to let her hair billow around her shoulders, shrugging a bit in response.

"Awe, thanks shugah," the Harpy spoke, a southern drawl making all her words sound musical and lazy. "This your bar," she asked, not giving her name right away. "I use she/her," she added, still feeling too old and not cool enough for the gender revolution that had taken place in the last century. However, she felt a need to stay contemporary, and therefore wished to show this... Theo that she was here to make nice, not cause bullshit. She looked at the drink, and smelled it. All food and drink smelled like trash to her, but she sweetly said, "Smells lovely." She held the glass to her lips, and then placed it back down. She sat at the bar, and tried to look as open to conversation as possible. She wanted to smoke, but nobody else was, and she had to remember all bars weren't her precious White Rabbit.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 10:37:42 AM »
Pride came through a poorly-contained smile, as Theo wiped at a non-existent spill in front of them. "I guess this is my bar, huh?" They shrugged, and poured more liquor, silently answering a nearby table's raised fingers for another round. "It's still so new to me! I actually just opened this past weekend. Moved into town right as constructions wrapped up." They sat down a black, circular drink tray and lined the shots up on its surface.

Politely excusing themselves, Theo carried the drinks to the nearby table before stopping at each table to check on the people enjoying their lazy Wednesday night. With the exception of the lecherous men at the front of the bar, Theo seemed genuinely interested in connecting with each client. With some of the more introverted, timid clients, they offered a handshake and kind words. A more boisterous table begged Theo for a picture, and they took a silly-faced selfie with a young couple for their up-and-coming Instagram account.

It's not long before they've made their way back around to the bar, calling out, "Hey Rohan, I'm pouring, come carry these out."

A stout, thick man with long brunette braids swings open a door on the side of the bar, carrying a bucket of ice that they deposit in a cooler nearby. "Heard." His voice is gravely, but his eyes warm as he garnishes the drinks in harmony as Theo finished pouring them.

Replacing the bottles to their spots on the shelves before gathering a few more used glasses for the sink, Theo looks back to the patrons at the bar. "So I know that Jessiah..." Theo jerks their head to motion to the old man who raises two fingers in greeting, "... is only here because he can't be pressed to walk home." He shakes his fist in the air towards Theo, but smiles despite himself. "What brings you out tonight?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2019, 03:15:03 PM »
The Harpy waited until Theo was fully engrossed in the patrons of An Tsi before in a flash dumped the drink into the bar's sink, her hand moving so fast it was only a quick blur. She then placed the glass at her lips, pretending to down the cocktail for the bar's, and Theo's, benefit. She looked unassuming as she sat at the bar, eyes studying Theo at moments when they weren't looking in her direction. They seemed a free spirit, and smelled like fae. However, she knew not what the owner of An Tsi was, the scent nothing she'd ever encountered before. That's saying something when you're over five-hundred.

She played with makeup next, a small brush and mirror seemingly coming out of know where. She seemed to be giving the brows a pick me up, nothing major, more something to with her hands. Once the pictures were taken and Theo returned, the Harpy crossed her legs, and took out a pack of smokes. She didn't see any signs but nor where their ash trays.

"Oh no reason," she obviously lied, twirling a strand of red hair, and looking up at the ceiling. "I just came to check out the new joint opening up. My employer likes to know when a new establishment like yours is opened in this part of town."

The words seemed like serious ones, but the tone was the same sweet mix of music and elegance. The face was also not aggressive. The redhead seemed to like the bar she was in, and perhaps even the bartender.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 04:51:52 AM »
“Ah, I’m sorry! I was extra when designing the bar, and got this great hybrid vine installed around the existing architecture.” Theo motioned to the sprawling vegetation behind the bar. “I’m thinking about expanding the bar upstairs at some point and having an outside area for smoking.” Theo stares at the ceiling and sucked at their teeth, drumming their fingertips on the counter. Returning from their moment lost in thought, their eyes lit up at the mention of the lady’s employer.

“Ooo, employer you say?” They leaned over the counter, making eye contact as they tilted their head to the side playfully. “Here to check out the competition,” Theo winked with a laugh, making clear that the teasing is in good nature, “or is your boss more of the nightlife influencer type?”

Their conversation was interrupted by Rohan politely knocking his hand on the bar next to Theo, who jumps despite themselves. He pointed to the clock nearby and Theo cursed. “Hold that thought!” Theo said, apologetically lowering their head.

They took a few steps towards the center of the bar and grabbed a velvet bag before freezing. An excited grin spread on their face as they took two dramatic steps backwards and turned to face the lady once again. “How do you find your luck, usually?” Rohan shook his head and rolled his eyes, dismissing himself as he went and whispered to the other patrons of the bar. Quiet murmurs took the crowd as they approach the bar. One of the lechers strode towards the red-headed woman, posturing with a chest swollen with pride and a smirk on his face. He took the stool to one side of her, where the businesswoman from before took the other.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
The strange faeish bar owner exuded life. The still nameless Harpy frowned slightly that she couldn't smoke, but nodded and put away her pack of Red Apples. She listened as Theo asked their questions about her employer, and a wicked smile crossed her pearl covered face. Her employer was eclectic, and she thought he would approve of this strange bar with it's hybrid vine. She leaned in like speaking to a lover.

"Well, while I do proudly run a less than reputable establishment not that far from your charming watering hole, I think we appeal to slightly different demographics Shugah." She followed up with a wink, and a lovely chuckle. She was every bit the southern lady, despite looking like a hungry predator.  "On the other hand," she followed up, all before Rohan stole Theo away. "You will find my employer is many things; a royal, a businessman, a media personality of sorts, and most importantly a leading figure in this part of town."

She was talking Jake up, but he was all of those things in one way or another. The events of the west, the trial, and the conflict between the districts had all raised his profile considerably. Love him or hate him; Jake McCloud was the most famous man in town. The bartender interrupted then, and the Harpy leaned back, rolling her shoulders and cracking her neck for no reason. The question about luck surprised her, and she considered how best to answer. It ended up being obvious.

"Hunny, if I wasn't I'd be dead." The proud chested man got a stare at first that was sweet, but he looked a little too long and jumped back in fright. "Oh shit," he said, moving his stool just a tad. She seemed pleased at this result, and waited for her impressive host to reveal whatever event was about to follow.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
Oh man.

There were not many things Theo loved than complicated, dramatic stories. And hearing about a famous, executive prince who was big into community outreach? It took every single ounce of discipline that Theo barely had to not immediately bombard the harpy with questions. A deep breath when their back was turned allowed them to channel their excitable energy into something that more approached a grin. "I'm flattered to be on his radar, then."

Fishing the cards from their bag, they gave them a thorough shuffle. The cards were very pliable, weathered with age that caused the expected firm snap of cards to come off smoother -- the cards sounding more reminiscent of the water of a brook. Theo placed an empty shot glass on the bar before the three stools in front of them. "The rules of the game are simple. If you decide you don't want to participate, all you have to do is stand up and someone else will take your seat."

"I have a simple tarot deck in my hands." Theo took a card from the top of the deck and placed it face down behind each of the glasses. "It is comprised of the stereotypical mix of major and minor arcana." They took an additional card, The Star, and flipped it to show the audience. "Major arcana portend big changes, where minor arcana..." they drew a couple other cards to display, "deliver more minor results."

"Here is where the alcohol comes in," Theo said with a wink, eliciting a whoop from the more rambunctious of the crowd. "There's a saying back home in Kansas that 'the medicine ain't gotta be sweet to cure what ails you.' I take that to heart." Theo closed their eyes, and put their hand to their chest, mimicing a solemn expression. "You will simply guess the type of arcana, not the specific card. A correct guess gets you the best drink I can mix for your card, but a wrong guess is gonna have you sputtering."

The elderly man offered loudly, "It's the gospel truth, I tell ya. I got it wrong and I swear it was like fire down my gullet." He pointed at Theo, grinning as they pointed back and both laughed.

Theo shrugged, "That will happen when I add chile pepper seeds to a drink." They tapped their nose. "But I haven't heard that awful cough in a few days, so my point stands." He threw his hands up in defeat, nodding his head in agreement. "Well," they scanned the three brave souls in the seats in front of them. "If you're all still in, let's have your guesses. Major or minor arcana?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2019, 10:18:37 AM »
The Harpy seemed pleased with Theo's reaction to her employer. It felt respectful, deferential almost. That was good. She would report back they had no problems here. She'd present the formal introductions once they were alone.

The redhead looked at the cards for only a moment, and leaned in, elbows on the bar. "Major," she said, keeping the reasons her guess a secret. Perhaps she saw herself as a major player? Maybe she figured Theo would want to flatter her with an important card? Maybe it was just a random guess with no methodology, but her face looked like she held a dirty secret, knowledge the others would kill to have. She laughed cozily at the old screw next to her, batting her eyelashes. "Let's see if my luck won out. Best fortunes to all of you!" 

She had the manners of a debutante, and it seemed out of place when compared with her savage and beautiful looks. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »
Theo retrieved a thick, florescent blue liquid from beneath the bar, dipping her fingers in it. With a dramatic flourish, they flipped over each of the cards in turn. The others lamented as their risk didn't pay out, both guessing incorrectly.

Theo made eye contact with the woman as they revealed her card.

"Judgement," though their voice was low, compared to the general japery going on around them as the others are heckled by their group, there was an unmistakable echo quality to it. "How curious. Very well, a draught for absolution from what ails you." Their eyes were distant, unfocused. Theo turned to the counter behind them, picking up and unstopping a long, silver drinking horn. A silky, purple liquid flowed from its end into the glass before Theo turned it upwards once more. They poured the other two more mundane concoctions, fetching both an herb for the man who gulped in his bravado and a blackened berry for the woman giving a nervous laugh. As they finished preparations, their gaze returned to normal. A flash of unmistakable concern is erased after but a moment when they asked, "Alright, bar, what do we say for our gifts?"

The regulars and Rohan led a chorus of "Thank you, Theo!" as the woman was the first to down her drink. She shuddered and exclaimed, grimacing as she graciously accepted the chaser Theo offered with a hearty laugh. The man took his drink and gagged, "Oh god bro," his friends dying in laughter as he dramatically made his way over to them. Theo then looked to the woman, gauging her reaction.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2019, 03:23:33 AM »
The Harpy smiled smugly as her correct guess was relieved. Even more interesting, the card told a story. She was judgement to the people of this district. It was the Harpy who decided guilt or innocence these days. It was the Harpy who decided what you were worth, who was right, and how best to make amends. The card even had wings. Sometimes the universe could be so literal. Then Theo said she needed something for absolution, and her smug face softened into something more contemplative. This being seemed to know quite a bit for a simple bartender, and the Harpy was even more determined to get them alone. She had questions for them.

She watched closely as the others took their poison. They seemed fine, but they hadn't drunk what was in that silver horn. She eyed the glass nervously, lifting it slowly. She was a vampire. It wasn't possible for her to drink anything but blood. She also didn't have the right powers to see if this was safe magic, and yet, she felt an urge to drink and so she did. She downed the liquid like taking a long shot and slammed the glass down on the bar. Her incredible strength wasn't being well maintained and it shattered.

"Goodness," she said in apology, but her eyes were vacant and her mouth twisting. It tasted like honeysuckle and it seemed to warm her cold flesh, bring water her to her eyes and for a fraction of a second, she could've sworn her heart beat a single beat. She looked much more impressed than the average person who played the game, and she turned her vacant expression on the bar owner.

"Thank you Theo," she said finally, not joining in the chorus from earlier. What was this being? How did they do that? The bird had seen much in her over five hundred years on this earth, but never something so purely healing at this. She tried to keep her composure in check, and slowly let her natural smile reclaim her shocked face.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2019, 12:52:50 PM »
Theo pumped their fist in victory, where Rohan just rolled his eyes at their display. Assuring the harpy that all is fine, he carefully takes the glass from the countertop. His low voice crooned, "Careful not to cut yourself, ma'am, you were lucky that it didn't break the skin on the first go around." He ribbed Theo, "Maybe if you hadn't cheaped out when buying the glasses."

Theo stamped their foot in protest, "I did no such thing!" They looked to the harpy for confirmation, "It was just that good, right?!" There was an unmistakable sparkle in their eyes as they bounced with energy, but Rohan wasn't to be denied.

He snapped a towel at Theo's backside, grinning. "Yeah, yeah, you're the best. That's not getting you out of your side work."

Theo groaned, "Eugh, I guess it is that time." They turned to the harpy, "That's our version of a last call." People began to trickle out of the bar, little by little.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2019, 06:45:09 AM »
The Harpy watched the scene between Theo and Rohan with amusement, and looked at her undamaged hand. She had no special resistance to damage like some vampires did, but at her age it would take more than a shattered glass to breach her skin. She nodded at Theo's request for validation, assuring Rohan the drink really had been thatgood. When the patrons began clearing out, she twirled a lock of her hair, and leaned in close to Theo.

"Actually, I hope I may be so bold as to request a moment of your time once the others are gone. My employer has information to convey, and I have a few questions to ask before I can be satisfied. It won't take too long. I promise Shugah."

She winked for good measure, and let her face show the kind of expression one would find on a close gal pal. It seemed almost like an invitation to a slumber party. She decided to show a bit of good faith to increase her odds that Theo would say yes. 

"My name, for good measure, is Miss Lisa-Joe Hampton. You earned it the moment I took that sip."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2019, 11:17:50 AM »
Theo nodded their head emphatically. "An absolute pleasure to meet you, Miss Lisa-Joe. Always down for a networking opportunity."

"Gimme a few minutes to placate Rohan." Without looking at the impending damp towel Rohan flung from the far side of the counter, Theo stepped to the side and it fell behind the bar. "And then I'll be right over." They motioned for Lisa-Joe to make herself comfortable at one of the nearby, cleaned booths.

Theo was positively vibrating with energy as they went about the cleaning. One thing they were not, however, was haphazard about it. Their motions were practiced and their gaze exacting. A heretofore unseen grace characterized their form as bottles were taken from temporary holdings and placed back into their rightful place. Rags were rinsed, deposited in buckets, and tucked behind a service door. Garnishments prepped, bagged, and placed in the cool storage. Once they were finished with it, the bar was as polished and pristine as it had surely been on opening night.

Quick as they could be, Theo joined Lisa-Joe at the bar. "Should we start with the information, or the questions?" Theo sat cross-legged opposite their guest. They had a few of the leftover cherries from the night in a dish, and They offered one to her as they popped another in their mouth.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2019, 01:43:50 PM »
Lisa-Joe waited for Theo to properly close up, taking the indicated seat at the now empty booth. She observed the grace in Theo's movement, adding to the growing list of questions and knowledge about them. She didn't try and make herself look busy. The ruse was no longer needed. She did use a compact to check her lipstick and as expected it was flawless. She blew a kiss at the tiny mirror, and put it away. Theo happened to join at the exact moment, making the Harpy wonder if the move was intentional.

"Information first," she said gleefully. "I represent the supernaturals who run this part of town. The city at large is split into domains that correspond with the city's existing districts. This is the central district, or the metropolis. The goal is to ensure that supernatural keep their nature a secret from the ignorant, and behave themselves in a manner that we deem... acceptable. My title is Harpy, and that means I run public relations, judge and jury for civil complaints, and well you might call me court gossip. it's my job to know everyone and everything. Before we move on do you have any questions for me?"

It was a lot to take in, but she kept her tone even and friendly.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2019, 11:47:40 AM »
Jaw dropped.

Cherry dropped.

Drop top.

Crop top.

Error 404: Theo.exe has stopped working.

All at once, their brain caught up to what Lisa-Joe said. Questions?! Do they ever! They thought of so many at once.  "Tell me about the domains!" "How many districts are there?" "Are you a real Harpy?!" "How many supers are there?"

Naturally, Theo's excitement made their brain think it would be fun if they all came out at the same time.

"Districts me tell are super harpy domains?!" They blinked. "Wait." They shook their head side to side. When they looked up once more, their eyes were wide. Looking at the wonder in their eyes, it was clear that Theo was just the type of person who embodied the idiom "stars in their eyes."

"How many supers are there in the district?" Theo couldn't stop themselves from bouncing in the seat of the booth. "I'll have a million questions, but I'll let you finish after that one."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2019, 05:26:08 PM »
The Harpy gigged affectionately at Theo's word vomit. It was a lot to drop all at once, and they were taking it better than they could've been. She waited until Theo was done reacting, following each step in the process. The Harpy played innocent but was really very measured, and she knew how to study someone she was interviewing. Auspex or not, she was a surprisingly good investigator. The first question made sense, and she simply answered, "couple thousand, give or take. I didn't do the last census. That's the Keeper's job."

She smiled wickedly at not explaining who the Keeper was. Maybe she'd get another big reaction! She could hope.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2019, 05:50:42 AM »
"Thousand." Theo turned the word over in their mouth a few times. Felt the weight of it.

This is exactly what they longed for when they decided to move to the city. Find a space dead in the center of it all. Hope to encounter some small coven or group. Make connections. Grow their magic.

The energy within their blood crackled -- their idea shifting from a mere handful to a couple thousand supernatural beings around them -- and clearly several that were not only open to the idea of collaboration, but actively friendly. And oh, how Theo wanted to ask a million and more things, especially at the mystery behind the keeper. WHAT DO THEY KEEP. Theo stuck with bouncing a few more times rapidly on their seat, before saying, "That's so many more than I expected! Uhm, but please, do continue! You said information first, so I imagine you're here to explain rules or see if I'm a threat to the peace."

Theo's eyes quickly widened as they continued, all in one breath, "Which-I-am-clearly-not, I-mean-the-worst-thing-I-do-is-experiment-with-drinks-but-that's-usually-not-magical-in-and-of-itself, so-I-wouldn't-need-to-be-kicked-out-of-the-city-of-anything-because-I-wouldn't-tell-the-ignorant-anything." They made an exaggerated "zip lips" motion with their hands, tossing an imaginary key over their shoulder.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 03:26:59 AM »
The Harpy giggled again, placing her hand on one of Theo's. "Sugah, if I thought you were a threat we'd be having a very different chat. She said it like she was telling Theo a secret, and was all smiles. However, there was a sharpness behind her eyes, a certain predatory instinct that was visible beneath the pretty exterior. Had she said it to reassure them, or intimidate them? The answer was both. Lisa-Joe knew people were better as friends than enemies, but it never hurt to let the person know who was getting the carrot, that the stick was just around the corner if needed. It was only a moment and then it was gone. She returned to her bubbles and smiles.

"Our domain has a set of laws that help keep the piece and protect the people who live here. You will have a list provided to you. Most importantly, more any others, you must keep your nature a secret from ignorant humans. Your bar tending is fine as mortals can dismiss it as a trick or an illusion. However, grander displays, if you're capable of such, should be kept to a minimum. This is to keep us all safe. The other laws are fairly standard. Don't kill, don't rape, if you reproduce let us know, and if we are investigating a matter and need your cooperation please give it freely. Our headquarters is a bar called the White Rabbit. It's just a few blocks from here. It's a different vibe from this place; a lot more leather and a lot louder. Come say hello and meet the rest of the team soon."

She folded her hands in front of her again, looking as demure as possible. "Any questions?" She expected a ton.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2019, 11:42:56 AM »
"Good!" Theo smiled as they joined hands with Lisa-Joe. Their volume raised as their excitement grew. "Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect coming to the city. Was kinda prepared for being caught in a back alley and having to rough someone up!" They laughed as they put a hand to their bicep -- a voice coming from the stockroom, "Don't you mean get roughed up?" Rohan raised his volume so that he could be heard through the open door. Theo blew a silent raspberry in the door's direction for Lisa-Joe to witness and grinned once more with a shrug.

"I'm really glad that the 'welcome wagon,'" Theo threw up air quotes around the phrase, "is -- in fact -- welcoming. I'll definitely have to drop by the White Rabbit sometime soon!"

At the offer of questions, Theo's head whirred to life once again. They had so many! But they shouldn't overwhelm or annoy Lisa-Joe, she kinda seemed like the type whose "bad side" was not a side Theo wanted to witness. Let's start with something else that's basic and move on from ther--

An image flashed before their eyes. The memory from earlier that night, the Judgement being dealt to Lisa-Joe as a smug smile spread across her face, brought itself to the forefront of their conscious.

"Do you remember your parents?"

A moment of silence hung as Theo's jaw went slack. Tension manifested within their shoulder blades and brow, their eyes went wide, and their voice returned with a stammer.

"I-I am... I am so sorry, I was just trying to think of a question..." their voice was low as they shot a look sideways towards the door that separated them from Rohan. Their words were not all in one breath as before, but rapidly increasing in speed as they spoke. Their hands shook ever-so-slightly. "... and I was going to ask about something else but the card popped back in my head and before I knew it that question just popped out."

Theo hung their head, and one thing was clear. These were not the reactions of someone who is used to the concept of forgiveness -- no matter how small the slight.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »
Lisa-Joe liked Theo's energy, feeling it was too big for the small world of their bar.Things would have to be done to tell others of such a person, and she made note to spread gossip about An Tsi. She'd make sure the right Anarch's heard about it. Theo would get some new business, and the Harpy would have eyes on her favorite new resident. She found the touch strangely welcome, and smiled back almost meekly. However, all of that went away when Theo asked their question. She was more puzzled than anything else, and wondered if this was some sort of magic. Why had Theo asked this? The apology that followed wasn't needed, but added further to the curiosity. Despite a lack of offense, the Harpy didn't enjoy thinking about her origins. There was only misery there.

"Don't worry about it," she advised, giving Theo's hand a squeeze. "I never knew them. I don't know them now, and I don't think I ever will. Whether they were noble men and women, gutter trash or something else entirely, it's not important to me."

Lisa-Joe knew this was Theo's time to ask questions, but she couldn't help herself. "What does judgement have to do with my parents?  I thought it spoke to my position."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 11:31:53 AM »
"Ah!" Theo exclaimed, reaching their hand out as if to grab something from the empty air.

The vines from behind the bar sprung to life, growing outward and reaching under the bar. The bag containing the tarot cards was shifted along their verdant limbs and came to rest in Theo's outstretched hand. Without shuffling, they turned Judgement face up on the table.

"You see, Judgement is one of the most often misunderstood tarot cards, much like Death." Theo ran their finger along the edge of the card, and the picture sprung to life. "Judgement tells the story of the Archangel Gabriel coming to earth to collect the dead and usher them to face their fate." Sure enough, the trumpets on the card blew, and the angel in its center raised its sword and pointed it towards its viewers as it faded into the background.

"So similarly, you having been dealt the card signifies someone approaching you and putting you into a situation where a tough decision must be made -- that will lead you to some form of absolution or lead you to fall from grave." A figure walks into frame. While it is blurred beyond recognition, there is something chillingly familiar about it. A path splits before it, until the card fades again and appears as it did at the start.

"Oftentimes, when the card is drawn for a supernatural person, the whole 'rising from the dead' thing can be... quite literal, in one way or another." An involuntary shudder ran up Theo's spine, speaking to their experience with a shake of their head. "So, if you put any stock in destiny or fate, when a big decision sits in front of you, brought to you by messenger, the spirits are advising you to take the path that you judge to be 'right,' because ignoring the call to action will only put off the inevitable." Theo regarded Lisa-Joe with a tilt of their head.

"You strike me as the type who is wise enough to know what to do, so I don't figure it'll be too hard of a test for you." Their smile was warm, a fragment of the light behind their eyes returning as the pair spoke.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »
Lisa-Joe was wary of the reading, not liking the implications it placed before her. She never knew if what seers had to offer was worth the existential headache of thinking about it, and this one would have her in a tizzy for days. She was thankful for the information on one level, but more wary of Theo on another. She had no similar gift to offer, but decided to do her best to repay the debt.

"Come be my guest of honor the next time I hold court. You can see a bit how the government around here operates. It will also hopefully answer any questions you might have. Thank you for the reading, but it is close to sunrise, and my kind is not fit for day."

She stood, extending a well painted set of nails. "Pleasure," she said, offering a squeeze of her hand as a polite form of parting.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline ChordTerias

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:14 AM »
Theo blanched as they heard "court," but almost within the same instant their entire face lit up. "Court?! Yes, please!" Theo crossed their legs once again, beaming as their hands grasped the intersection of their ankles. "Oh, Ms. Lisa-Joe you've absolutely made my year. Please do come back anytime, not only when there's work to be done." They grinned before adding, "As long as you'll be up for a couple more questions."

Theo rose from the table, giving a strange combination of a bow and a curtsey as Lisa-Joe began to make for the exit.

Almost as an after-thought, Theo put a finger in the air. "Oh!" They reached out, and the vine produced a beautiful purple flower with ovoid red berries. "The plants that I grow have a tendency to take their name literally, and since I doubt the poison would affect you much, please take this nightshade with you as thanks for the warm welcome. It'll preserve well if pressed, so keep it on you in some form in case of emergency." They procured small plastic bag -- not unlike that which are usually used to launder much more illicit plants -- and pressed the nightshade into Lisa-Joe's palm.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »
Lisa-Joe was delighted by the curtsy-bow combination and did her best to match it. it looked clumsier than Theo's but still graceful and polished by comparison to most. She nodded at the request foe her return, adding, "I'll be sure to do that," and then headed for the exit. She had much to tell Jake about this place, and that this Theo was a player in town. Whether or not they knew it, Lisa did. She saw An Tsi growing in reputation and the Harpy began to scheme how to get Theo on their side, as opposed to Ben's.

She was so wrapped up in her political manipulations that she was a bit surprised that Theo called after her. She took the gift of nightshade respectively, and darkly wondered how some of it could find it's way into Zeus's tea. She wouldn't really waste such a nice gift on something so dark, but it was fun to dream.

"Thank you," she replied, hating that she had no gift to match. With a final nod of her head, she headed out into waning night. There wasn't much time till daylight. She finally was able to smoke and did so as she traced her path home to the White Rabbit.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.