Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 5543 times)

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Hello!
« on: May 04, 2019, 02:14:59 PM »
Just wanted to extend a greeting! Introduce myself in a way, and let y'all know that I've been lurking about. I'm totally new to forums style role-play - and, truthfully, am a little overwhelmed by it. I used to visit a handful of (now dead) role-play chat rooms, and quite miss the fun of it. A good friend suggested I come here and check it out.

So, here I am! Hello!
Anyone have any tips for beginners?

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 02:31:46 PM »
The Infusco is not dead, so I would recommend joining there for now if you wanna play with some people.

But Hi Hello, welcome!

In forum related RPs most of it is done via paragraphs and the best grammar you can manage, but as long as it's readable it seems most people don't mind. A lot of things get planned either between people or are generally open for anyone.

I'm sure someone else can be of more help but if you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 03:20:46 PM »
Welcome to Roleplay City, pentagrandma!

The basics: read through the species charts, decide what sort of character you want to play, then go to the Pending characters section and create a character. Post it and Satyr or I'll look it over then move it to approved characters (we'll send you a message if there's some sort of clarification we want). Once that's done, you're free to create a role-play and post it in the New Roleplays section or join any open role-plays.

We have a Facebook group that (hopefully) your good friend will add you to? It's easy then to start up a chat with someone either in the Facebook group or via Messenger ;D  There's also messages in the Infusco forum, you can send a query to anyone in there and set something up. If you're really new, there's plenty of experienced role-players willing to role-play with you. Most of us have character sheets listed in our signatures so you can feel free to approach someone whom you feel will match the story you wish to tell (if you've been lurking for a while, you've probably noticed that, though) and go from there.

:welcome: once again and here's wishing you all the best, most exciting and interesting role-plays ever!  :blowkiss:

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 07:49:55 PM »
Welcome pentagrandma!

One of the best usernames I've seen  :cool:

We're all jumping around in Infusco, breathing life back into our vampires/demons/witches/fae/etc

Hope you'll join us soon - and yes, join the Facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/infusco/ (it's a closed group so you'll need your friend to invite you to it)

:boogie:
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 09:48:32 PM »
Hello and Welcome!

So excited to have more joining up!  :boogie:
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 10:57:03 PM »
Welcome aboard, fam!

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 11:56:43 PM »
Ah! I feel so much more encouraged now, with all of the warm welcomes. Thank you! I’ll read through all of these guides and put some thought into building a character or two.

I think my biggest hurtle will be adjusting to the paragraphed format. I’m unaccustomed to writing out thought processes and backstory tidbits; as there were often players in my old chatrooms who were a bit clumsy when it came to separating their own knowledge from their characters. Still, I’ve got all of the time in the world right now (I’m recovering from a work injury; yes, I’m okay!), so I should be able to manage.

A Facebook group was, indeed, mentioned - I’ll have Seragil send me an invite!

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2019, 04:57:53 AM »
YAY! A NEW MEMEBER!

WELCOME :)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 05:56:27 AM »
Welcome to the party! The best way to learn is to do so look forward to seeing you on the boards. Also reading other people's RP's could give some insight into how to write the internal stuff! Muah!
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2019, 07:11:47 AM »
Yay, group welcome! :grouphug:

We're pretty good at separating character knowledge from our own  ;)  We also have mind-reading vampires, haha, but we always make active attempts rather than absolutes.

IT'S SO MUCH FUN TO HAVE MISUNDERSTANDINGS! I cackle at all the things my characters have no idea about.

If you want to jump in as fast as possible with a character, the best way is to start is with a human (either ignorant or they just found out about the supernatural world recently - maybe they saw something), and then put them into as many bizarre situations as you can. You and your character can learn all about Infusco together. Ha! When you feel comfy, add more characters of whatever species looks the most interesting!

Seragil is the awesome. Seragil is the reason this place is alive again after a 6 year break   :throb: :smitten:
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 11:22:56 AM »
Great idea! I think that's exactly what I'll do - start off with an oblivious human. That'll make studying the world a lot less overwhelming.
Thanks for the suggestion!  :thumbsup:

Totally there on IC misunderstandings. Playing out conflict is one of my favorite things; all of the drama and shenanigans I don't have the courage (or desire) to enact in my actual life. Can't wait to put my naive little character into all of the shadiest of situations! Yay!

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 02:45:34 PM »
Pentagrandma! Lmao, I love it.

Now hurry up and make ur char  :P.

Once you have settled into Infusco we can then go wake up the Half Light forum!