Author Topic: Back In Circulation  (Read 12607 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Back In Circulation
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2019, 11:12:53 PM »
Samuel pulled a face that implied he was in pain, tossing the crystals book onto the desk and rubbing his hands together as he sucked in a breath through his teeth.

"Bless your heart, this place is my baby," he declared, pressing a hand to his chest to show his sincerity. "I'm not keen on surrendering it to anyone else but I'll get there. Eventually. Once it's fully organised," he promised, settling comfortably into his chair, his gaze roving over Ichabod's face thoughtfully.

"The best way for you to be sure I take a break is to take one with me," he proposed, his smile cheeky.

Offline pinkroses

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2019, 11:44:49 PM »
"You're not surrendering it," Ichabod said with a laugh at the idea of the library being Sam's baby, "Just... getting a babysitter for a couple of nights a week," he added, reaching out to straighten the book on the desk where Sam had tossed it to put it in line with the edge of the desk.

At Sam's final common Ichabod raised his dark eyes from the book to meet Sam's gaze, his smile lingering in response to the cheeky smile he received. He wasn't asking him out on a date, was he? Ichabod hadn't gone on a date for ages... but it probably wasn't a date Sam was suggesting. Why would a two hundred year old vampire be asking him out on a date? Yeah, Kerr was older, but they'd never really been on a date and their relationship had mainly formed out of chance meetings and hooking up.

No, Sam definitely wasn't asking him out on a date. It would be nice if he was though... but again, was it against the rules? He didn't really have a boss, so did it matter?

"That sounds good - it'll make me take a break too," Ichabod said with a smile. He definitely needed to spend more time just chatting, enjoying himself, than just working constantly. And Sam was fun and handsome, so... if this 'break' wasn't a date maybe there could be one in the future...

"What did you have in mind? I mean, not that hanging out in your office isn't a fun break," he said with a grin.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2019, 01:35:27 AM »
Samuel watched Ichabod's face as he laughed, admiring the way it lit up his features. The added quirk of straightening the book he'd casually dropped had him raising an eyebrow but he didn't comment on it as he looked up into Ichabod's eyes. He had a sexy smile, even if it was only partially there because he was looking at Sam like he was trying to figure him out. The nerves that had tied his tongue earlier wanted to come back because of that expression but he pushed them determinedly away, waiting for a verdict.

When Ichabod agreed to go out with him, Sam sighed internally with relief. He realised that Ichabod had definitely been looking at him like that because he'd been trying to decide whether to say yes or not. It was his turn to laugh when Ichabod made a joke about hanging out in his office. He adjusted his position, straightening up and turning his chair to better face his boss, elbows on the armrests and fingers loosely interlaced over his lap.

"How about dinner at Echelon and a movie afterwards?" he suggested. Classic date destinations; he hoped Ichabod didn't have something against cliches. Venture was closer to the cinema complex he frequented most often but it didn't seem right to offer to take Ichabod there on their first date. Considering the feeding rooms and eagerness of the donors, it could be construed as a little risqué and Ichabod struck him as a classy guy. "In, say, a few nights' time? I should have found someone I trust to replace me by then. Think you can make that?"

Offline pinkroses

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2019, 02:07:24 AM »
God, it was a date. Dinner and a movie was definitely a date. He had actually asked him on a date and Ichabod had agreed. It was probably he'd not realised before giving his reply as it would have become a lot more awkward. Did vampires go out for dinner? They must do if Sam was suggesting it.

"Yeah, yeah that sounds great," Ichabod said with a smile, hesitating for a moment before glancing at the desk and grabbing for a pile of post-it notes. He picked a pen and scribbled down his mobile number, writing his name underneath, He'd ordered cards at Ben's suggestion, but they were in his abandoned jacket in his office.

"Here, uh, I'll probably know when you hire someone, but you can message me with a couple of dates you're free. I'll need to shuffle some stuff, but that's no problem," Ichabod said, already mentally rearranging different schedules. There were no dates he was free, so whenever Sam suggested he would need to rearrange things. Ichabod would make time though. He had to make time for himself and the idea of it was exciting. And that Sam would be there too was even better.

Ichabod pulled off the post-it and passed it to Sam, then pushed his chair back slightly from the desk, unsure if he was now supposed to leave. God, now it was suddenly a date he felt so nervous and awkward. He shouldn't be doing this, but he needed to. Should he tell Ben? Fuck, no, it was one date, he didn't need to tell Ben. And even if it was more, Ben wasn't his boss.

"Were we... was there anything else you needed to show me?" he asked, nodding towards the computer.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2019, 02:33:35 AM »
Samuel watched with curiosity as Ichabod wrote his number down, appreciating the youngling's old-school methodology. He'd grown accustomed to everything going directly into the ultimate organiser - a mobile phone - these days, it was nice to see some neat penmanship used instead. It made the number handed to him feel that much more personal. He leant back in his chair, holding the note in both hands and smiling down at it before Ichabod asked that question of him.

Looking over at his boss from beneath his fringe of tousled hair, he grinned devilishly, giving Ichabod a slow look over before he answered. "Such a leading question... " he drawled, playing with his post-it note so that it crinkled in his hands. "There's lots of things I can show you but we did finish with all the security and circulation stuff, yeah," he agreed sadly, knowing that meant Ichabod would most likely go now. He supposed that was wise; leave some mystery for discovery on their date.

Offline pinkroses

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2019, 06:56:57 AM »
Ichabod felt his cheeks colouring slightly as Sam gave him that grin and turned the innocent question around, suddenly filling Ichabod's mind with all sorts of thoughts. Thoughts he definitely shouldn't be thinking right now, not at work, especially not when there was someone else in the library.

"I... uh... well, that's something for us to pick up at dinner maybe," Ichabod said, giving a cheeky grin before he pushed his chair back again and standing up.

"I'll see you in a few days," he said, giving Sam a small nod before excusing himself and heading out of the library. As soon as he turned the corner Ichabod pulled off his tie, suddenly feeling like he needed a bit of space to breathe, despite not needing the air.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2019, 02:55:58 PM »
At some point he removed the headphones over his ears allowing his ears to breathe a bit and taking a small break to stretch his legs. He kept around his station as to keep an eye on his own stuff, given how quite most people where and his hearing being better than most due to his blindness, he did just hear basically Sam and one of his bosses agree to a date more or less. How tonight had gone thus far and the fact that Sam literally planned out an entire station to have Dreki be able to read nearly anything he wanted, had kind of have him hope that maybe if he took things on the slower side, and hurried up and escaped the clutches of the facility, that he may have had a chance at getting Sam back, even maybe before his escape if things where progressing well enough on both end. After all they didn't seem to totally hate eachother. However hearing "dinner at ---, movie after?" and the "yeah" from the vague buts of conversation that he had until then mostly tuned out, had hurt, and thus destroyed this notion of him ever having had a chance of Sam again.

He sat back down at his station, rested his left elbow on the desk and his forehead in the palm of his left hand. His right hand gripped his stomach as those sharp pains returned, ever stronger than before. He never had them before his last doctor visit and they seemed to happen while stressed, upset, or even sometimes after eating that he's noticed. Coming here tonight was a mistake. Hell, having come to this library at all may have been a mistake on his end. There was a lot of good, but also a lot of bad. He debated whether or not he should bring this up to Hofflan the next time they interacted. Hofflan was technically his doctor, but also, technically was doing illegal medical things to him as well, and wondered if what happened last time was the cause of this new symptom.

"I'm a god damned idiot" he deeply exhaled, muttering to himself. While he was mostly facing downward, his face even brought to light that he looked to be in some sort of pain. He internally was debating calling off from his highschool job in the morning the pain was that intense for him. He closed his eyes, trying to relax and calm down before he would leave. He wasn't sure what to focus on to try and relax. The books he had were of no help in that way, as they described to him I'm ways he could possibly fuck up his necklace, Sam was over him for good from what he had just gathered, and even his personal life didn't really lead much in the way of things to think of to calm him down because usually it kept him too busy to think. This was one of down moments and quite a bad one at that. He opted for clearing his mind, and repeating Japanese wordplay puns in his mind. They were basic and silly enough that he hoped it would work.

On the outside Dreki did look as if he was either heavily constraining on something or in some form of pain, or a mixture of the two. He wasn't hiding such things this time as his stomach hurt a bit too much for him to hide that  it did or that he was trying to think of something to escape the pain for now. He felt a tad bit warmer than he should, but he hadn't noticed. There were a lot of things going on with his body he hadn't noticed as of late, only the stomach symptom had made itself known to Dreki. Everything else either skirted around his ability to notice due to his blindness, or was something as simple but required a different set of skills or tastes that Dreki did not have, such as a noticble taste difference in his blood to those whom had drank it before.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2019, 01:55:19 AM »
Samuel put Ichabod's personal phone number into his phone once his boss left, smiling all the while. He couldn't quite believe his own audacity in asking the youngling out. He'd started off feeling mildly terrified and thinking inappropriate thoughts, he wasn't quite sure how and when that had switched to open admiration and flirting but it certainly had. He was looking forward to seeing Ichabod outside work, his parting comment inspiring a lot of hopeful wishing on Sam's part. Gods alive, he loved men in power, they were so damn irresistible!

He tucked the post-it note inside a pocket in his jacket and replaced his phone before he closed everything he'd opened and left his computer to go back to sleep. Picking up the book Dreki had given him, Sam then rearranged his office chairs (one in front and one behind the desk) and went back out to the terminal on the borrowing counter. He glanced at Dreki but, assessing him as bent over to concentrate on his work, he didn't give him another thought as he settled down on his stool and went back to accessioning and tagging the final box of books.

The crystals book lay on the desk beside him, waiting to be shelved later.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2019, 06:45:12 PM »
After he got his stomach to calm down a bit, he felt it best that he leave for the night, and get some rest before he head to his night job at the academy again, as he sent an email, basically calling in sick to his day job. He wasn't quite done with the books, but they did belong to a library so it wasn't all bad. He stood up, waited a moment for the sudden sharp pain of getting up has brought to his stomach to leave before packing up his stuff in his messenger work bag. He got everything all situated and cleaned up his workstation before heading to the counter with the books in hand. Once he got to the counter, he gently placed the books on the counter, and pushed them towards Sam.

"Hey Sam?" He started to ask, he wasn't making proper eye contact, he didn't quite feel up to it at the moment given what he had overheard earlier, "Is it possible for me to check out books here and then have a special place for me to leave them here? If not I don't mind carrying them back and forth, it just seems silly to since I don't have access to be able to read these outside of here." A hint of blood could be detected on his breath from those with a keen sense of smell, as being blind had its downfalls, he had even been passing blood during particularly bad episodes of this pain, but was unaware that he was internally bleeding simply because he couldn't see it. At best he looked tired, at worst he looked sick, he felt sick so while he did try to hide that he wasn't exactly feeling well, he knew he wasn't going to be able to hide all of it.

He knew Hofflan did something more to him on that last visit, and while he wasn't on death's door like the first time around, whatever was going on with him still wasn't exactly a walk in the park. He could tell stress was a factor in making things worse, tonight even proved as such, but also knew that wasn't the only thing that causing this. He didn't feel as if it was worth bringing up to Hofflan as he didn't realize that something was up beyond just the physical pain he felt, as he was already warned about feeling pain/unwell for a bit while his body adjusted.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2019, 01:51:13 AM »
Samuel frowned at Dreki's request to borrow books, offended that he would suggest such a thing and mildly distracted by the scent of blood wafting off him. He couldn't fathom why he thought it would be acceptable to, unless... Sam glanced over his shoulder to where his office was and then looked over at the workstation Dreki had been using. Surely he hadn't overheard him talking to Ichabod about borrowing books... had he? He had to have been fully eavesdropping if he had, since their personal conversation had been delivered at an intimate volume a great distance from where Dreki had been sitting.

"Uh, sorry hon, this is an academic reference library. No borrowing for anyone except the big bosses. If you want an exception, you'll have to petition one of them for it." He paused to look Dreki over, torn between the urge to show his concern about what he was smelling and staying out of the very complicated business that was his former lover's life. Time had passed, it really wasn't his business and he'd never had the inclination to make it thus, which was why he'd made the difficult decision to ignore Dreki's texts for a while. Feeling like an asshole, he made an observation that could've come from a complete stranger, rather than someone who had intimate knowledge of the curves and plains of this man's withering body. "If I may be so bold; you don't look well. You should go to a hospital."

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2019, 02:30:04 AM »
"I don't think I've ever quite heard of a library where you couldn't check out books, although I guess that makes sense given the books that are here. Sorry about that. Can you show me where these books usually sit so I can make sure I can find them again next time? I'm not quite done with them just yet. Also the program you used to look up the books is on each of the workstations computers I assume?" Which was true, never in his life had he heard of a library where you couldn't check out books, he hadn't overheard most of their conversation, just the one bit where they made their plans. He at least wanted to be self sufficient, he could tell Sam has moved on, the time of voice from Sam felt suddenly cold, and honestly he didn't want to bother Sam anymore than he had to at this point. The amount of the emotional hurdle that was tonight was quite the roller coaster and he wanted off. At the end of the conversation when Sam suggested that he go to a hospital he was taken a little off guard. Sure he felt like shit, but was it really that obvious to others? It concerned him to think about how much he looked like how he felt.

"I can't," he started deciding to explain a bit while still being vague, "given my unique situation, medicines don't work on me as one would expect. Plus, I was told to expect to feel pain, and a little unwell for a while at my last visit. I should be fine after some rest as it comes and goes in waves, I appreciate the concern." His tone was a cold and professionally polite tone, matching the sudden coldness he felt from Sam, the look on his face a much more serious and straight faced look. He was unaware the whole medicine bit was a lie fed to him by Hofflan, mostly to protect the facility. Also despite his vagueness, it was likely easy to tell that Dreki didn't realize that that something worse was going on.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2019, 10:17:38 AM »
Sam shook his head, fighting the urge to reach over and place his hand on Dreki's for reassurance. There was no consolation for a situation such as his, it was untenable. The more he looked at the mortal angel, the more signs of weariness he was able to detect. The 'my last visit' comment just blew his mind but it was a pit of snakes to try to decipher. Dreki obviously had no way of getting out of his whole facility deal; he just had a necklace to protect his thoughts. It clearly wasn't enough.

"Okay," Sam sighed. "Then you really should get some rest, I guess. And yes, there are catalogues on every workstation in the library. I can take you to where the books are shelved but I know it's hard for you to read two dimensional stuff and it's not really necessary that you learn where they go. There'll always be a librarian here to help you, that's our job. We need something to do to keep us busy. I've got ten interviewees for the role starting tomorrow night, so I'll have at least three backup staff because we're going to be open twenty-four hours. I'll tell them about you. You'll never come in here and not get the help you need," he smiled.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »
He closed his eyes and furrowed his brow, he began to feel a little light headed but couldn't tell if it was because he needed to rest or if it was because Sam was yet again underestimating his ability to be felt sufficient. While not visible his wings could be sensed behind him. He opened his eyes and looked back at Sam. He frowned turning his professional look into a more annoyed look.

"Sam, unless you've organized the library in the most obtuse way possible, I don't think I'll have too much trouble finding a book after being shown where it is provided someone else isn't using it. I can count, most books tend to be different sizes, feel different, the spines of the books can even take different shapes and feel different. I can be more self sufficient than you realize, unless you want me to be reliant on you and your crew for everything?" He asked mildly annoyed. He as a child had been forced to rely on his parents thanks to his dad, he was forced to rely on the facility thanks to Hofflan's way of manipulating him and holding Emma over his head. He wanted some semblance of independence and would take it wherever he could get it. He closed his eyes and shook his head, realizing his tone was likely not the best. He didn't want to make enemies with Sam, as that's the last thing he needed right now.

"I don't mean to snap. I'm not feeling too great and am a bit stressed." He explained, "a lot on my plate with 3 jobs, working on becoming free, family stuff, personal life, and what have you. I understand you're trying to be helpful in regards to what your job calls for, I just, don't like being underestimated. You can understand that much, right?" He feebly smiled, "Now will you show me where those book go or am I stuck asking for help all of the time?" He asked more seriously, if forced to always ask for the books, he will, but in a way, he hoped he didn't have to be so reliant on the staff. He doesn't like coming off as needy if he can help it.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2019, 10:10:56 PM »
Samuel hadn't wanted to point out the fact that Dreki looked ready to fall down and that was another reason he hadn't pushed him to walk around the library but he didn't argue. Not after a talking-to like that. He also wasn't about to extol the unique way he'd organised the library, it would be petty and the last thing he wanted to do was cause Dreki more stress. He was under too much already (but he also knew Sam's opinion about that, so there was nothing more to say about it). With a mental shrug, he gathered the three books and walked around the counter.

"As you wish. This way," he said and walked to the places the three books all belonged, waiting for Dreki to catch up to him each time and then announcing simply, "This is where x book goes." He gave no extra information, and would answer questions if they were asked but he was otherwise silent, leaving it up to Dreki to figure out where he was standing and where the books were shelved. The only allowance he made was to let him feel where Sam put the book, before he moved onto the next.

When the final book was placed back in its proper position and Dreki knew where it belonged, Sam paused long enough to say, "Now you know where they are. Sorry to underestimate you. I hope your night improves from here on out. Please excuse me," before he headed rapidly back to the counter to attend to the large pile of books he still had to read and accession (hopefully before dawn). He figured Dreki was cranky enough with him that he'd want to leave immediately and he trusted the mortal to find his way out of the library independently. Gods knew he wasn't going to attempt to help him again, lest it be construed as underestimation.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »
He had followed Sam, keeping up with no issue doing so. He may have indeed looked sick, but so far was holding his own as he walked with Sam, making mental note of what self they were on, how many books between where it goes and the end of the shelf, the size of the books around it, and feeling the books on either side of it. He followed Sam to the next one doing the same. He noticed Sam seemed hasty to leave, felt even worse about snapping earlier than he did right after the fact. He waited a moment before heading to leave himself. He put in an earbud to use his phone to call for an Uber, as he felt he was in no condition to try and navigate public transport at the moment. He stopped at the front counter before continuing.

"Again, thanks for the workstation set up, your help is nice in the right places. I apologise for snapping earlier. If I do need help in the library, I'll be sure to seek out you, or one of your underlings once you've hired some. I'll see you around." He said and began to walk outside, he'd wait for his Uber sitting on the steps by the front door, so he would be easy to find for his driver and that he wouldn't have walk too far really. He could feel his body protesting a bit to stay upright but reassured himself that he'd be home soon anyway, and would be fine once he got into bed.