Author Topic: 102 West  (Read 12068 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: 102 West
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2019, 06:08:40 AM »
Monet listened to the shadow demon speak, forming her own sharp opinions, glad that Fler had brought up that million dollar question. She was slouching low, her head resting on the back of the chair, toying with the ends of her sweatshirt and oscillating herself mindlessly with the chair's swivel. When he spoke of action she stopped and let him finish before putting her feet flat on the ground and squaring him up from across the table.

"Oh so now you want to do something about it? After all is said and done, and people are dead, now you want to take action?" The pitch of her voice raised with every word. Monet leaned forward over the table, killing the delinquent act immediately. "You should run for President, for fuck's sake! What happened to representing us and ensuring we had what we needed?" Heat rose to her face and she cut herself off before she said something she regretted or worse - began to cry.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2019, 03:39:06 AM »
As Monet spoke, Fler sighed through their nose, garnering a quick glance from him but nothing more.  Chtahzus'aak's expression read nothing but sympathy in the face of the weather demon's impassioned words.  He studied her carefully, noting the change from a challenging nonchalance to direct confrontation.  Pointed rage.

It was something present in most of who had come to speak with him--energy like no other begging for a direction, ripe for a catalyst.

"Had I been forewarned to McCloud's aggression, intervention would have been possible."  His gaze moved across the group, monitoring and assessing their reactions.  "I could never understand or grasp the loss many of you have personally faced, and your anger and frustration are warranted, albeit a touch misdirected."  He exhaled sharply and leaned on his arms folded atop the table.

Zeus settled his stare into Monet's eyes.  "I cannot share every detail of what transpired for me over the eighteen months after the fall of the Oligarchy.  Please understand the security risk that presents, especially in the aftermath of what took place in the West District."  His voice was carefully level but confident.  Should anyone face capture, there was no telling what advantage intimate knowledge would give an enemy.  He doubted this answer would be enough for Monet, but he hoped that she would dig deep enough to realize the strategic choice given the context of the current political climate.

"What I can offer you now is my commitment to consolidating and allocating resources to set this right in whatever capacity possible, and work toward meeting your needs as a unified community." 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2019, 06:22:21 AM »
She looked at Monet, wanting to reach out and physically hug her and tell her it's ok, but she knew it wasn't. What happens wasn't ok, and while Zeus answered how she expected him to, she wondered if Monet or Fler was looking for answers they weren't going to get. She already told Zeus that she wanted to help, work for him, do whatever she could to get even with the vampires in a smart not suicidal way. She wondered if Monet or Fler would offer their help or if she was just going to be alone in that endeavor.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2019, 07:51:26 AM »
A typical Bernie Sanders up in here, she thought darkly to herself, unconvinced of his argument. "Allocating resources", "unified community" he said. Monet wanted to roll her eyes at him, but her nose was beginning to tingle annoyingly and her thoughts were drifting over to her own losses. She could taste the rage in her throat like bile, skin prickling on the nape of her neck and upper arms.

Min-Ji had been like a sister to her, their fathers brothers and their blood the same. It was Monet who had to give the news to him, who spent countless nights awake with her head in his lap as his grief threatened to drown him in a bottle of vodka. Monet had suffered her uncle's tears, the slurred speeches about legacy, the chaotic bouts of crying out in the middle of the day. Their family, small since Min-Ji's parents' divorce which Min-Ji in the care of her father since the age of twelve, had been the closest to the Pak cousins. Growing up, Min-Ji had been at their house every day after school. Monet thought about the times she brought over bright, plastic barrettes and tried to fit as many as she could in Min-Ji's silky brown hair...

No.

A crack of thunder shook the floor of the conference room, the lightning outside so close that she felt it in her bones. She loosened her grip on the edge of the table that she didn't know she had, relaxing the tensed muscles in her arms as she gained control over her temper. The storm-bringer wiped her eyes before any water could fall and kept her fiery gaze, pained now as she lingered in the memory of her family, on Zeus.

"Yeah? How? You're sentiments are nothing but words unless you actually do something."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2019, 08:56:33 AM »
Fler had gasped quietly in surprise at the sound, instantly feeling foolish for being startled.  It looked like rain out there--thunder made sense.  Although...  They cast a quizzical look to Monet, as if to ask if the strike had been her doing.  Zeus sounded like he wanted to fix things--it wasn't his fault he didn't see Jake coming until it was too late.  Right?

The slightest narrowing of Chtahzus'aak's eyes was the only perceivable effect that the thunder and lightning strike had on the shadow demon.  He sighed quietly through his nose and assessed the room before continuing. 

"I was hoping for your input on that,"  His tone was level, friendly even, and he addressed the group as one.  "I would like to assemble a group of community leaders as representatives for a sort of..." he paused, searching the air for the proper word, "Council, for lack of a better term."  His eye fell on Monet again.  "This would be the beginnings of district-wide change, led by those who reside within it."

"I am in need of a person--or people--to lead this organizing effort.  This project demands more attention than I can properly give while I move toward removing McCloud's violent presence from the West."  He leaned against the table, tenting his hands beneath his chin.  "While I would prefer to personally guide each project to fruition every step of the way, these bigger tasks require delegation."  Zeus rubbed at his face, signaling weariness.  There were many things to do.

"You expect us to just volunteer?"  Fler, frowning, finally found their words. 

Zeus shook his head.  "I can offer rations for those who need it," those who fed on them would know he meant souls, of course, "A safe room here, vehicular transportation, adequate monetary compensation..."  Fler's eyes widened and they looked between Noelle and Monet.  Zeus offered a sincere look.  "The cost matters little to me--the objective is more valuable than the sum of these things."
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2019, 07:57:20 PM »
"I want to help," She said in a sympathetic but confident tone, "before I came here I wasn't sure how to offer that to you, and in a way I'm still not sure. I can be a bit on the harsher side, even on the way here, Monet can confirm that. I'm still willing to try my best however." She explained offering her help in at least some way, "I want to be able to prevent this from happening again." She felt for Monet, she wanted to cry herself but stopped herself from doing so.

When the thunder and rain hit, she did mildly jump as it was unexpected, but had brought herself together again fairly quickly.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 08:10:29 AM »
She chewed on Zeus' offer as Noelle spoke to him, offering her services. Something about his words coaxed at her trust, something buried deep under the hatred, rage, and pain she had held onto for the past few weeks. Perhaps, a little voice in her ear whispered, he realized that he had fucked up and he was genuinely trying to make it up to them. Perhaps he was reeling just like the rest of them. She had never had a problem, per se, with Chtahzus'aak - it was always more with the other species like the vampires that she had a problem with. As far as she was concerned, Zeus was fine as a representative, though he may have been a little too quiet for Monet's tastes.

But here he was offering some kind of olive leaf, or life raft. Something. Monet knew she was one of the luckier ones - she was back in Tampa. Reparations, counsels, representation... The opportunity to pick up pieces that shouldn't have been broken in the first place. What more could she really ask for, blood? Retribution? That wasn't her way.

She murmured the words reluctantly, hating that she had resigned herself to his proposal. "Do you have any idea how many have been killed or injured?" Her voice was stiff, lacking trust and peace. Monet's gaze remained a tired glare as she scrutinized Zeus' response.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2019, 08:07:07 AM »
Zeus offered Noelle the briefest, uncharacteristically warm smile.  She would be a valuable asset, he was sure.  They'd need to have a private chat after to better determine where she would be most helpful--group meetings weren't for that sort of assessment.

A soft sigh escaped after Monet asked her question.  "I am still gathering the numbers," he met her eye solemnly, "Many are still in hiding, as you can imagine."  He rubbed gently at his temple before settling his chin against the palm of his hand.  It was a delicate thing--he couldn't exactly broadcast his presence yet.  Not while McCloud's forces remained in the West.  Should he catch wind of that, the risk for a preemptive attack on the weakened demon community increased.  Those in hiding would likely rather avoid making their way to the compound to remain under the radar.  He wasn't quite set up to take in anyone of vast numbers, though that would be possible with more time.

"Reaching them without alerting McCloud's forces has been a challenge."  He felt that he owed Monet (and the others) this much as an explanation.  It was his first priority to remove McCloud and pick up the pieces after--better if he could do both simultaneously while minimizing further casualties.

"We all lost at least someone," Fler stuffed their hands further into their pocket.  "I know a handful of others too." 

Zeus made a sympathetic sound in reply and shook his head.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 10:49:16 AM »
"We all know a handful of others." She hesitated before she said her next point, unsure of whether he deserved her trust. "I know a lot of people who had their homes and lives destroyed. I can't-- I don't have my apartment anymore. I found-- I found my cousin and her husband dead on my kitchen floor. They were eating dinner." Her cheeks flushed as she admitted her station in life to the others. She hated feeling vulnerable, especially around other people she didn't know, let alone some politician.

"If you're offering a place to live and resources, then people should know. People will show up here. You sure you're prepared to turn this place into an emergency shelter?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »
Anger flared visibly over his face when Monet shared how she'd found her family.  It wasn't anything similar to the patterns of murders that had surfaced so far, but if it occurred during the time of the incident he couldn't rule it out. 

"I'm sorry," he spoke softly with sincerity before she continued speaking.

He let out a quiet sigh at her next question, searching for the way to phrase his answer.  "I have the space and resources now," he paused and ran his tongue along the backs of his teeth.  "Should people make their way here, I fear they will become a target."  Chtahzus'aak glanced at each of the group in turn before continuing, as if silently pleading with them to keep his next statement to themselves.  But he knew trust begat trust and would add no such request for secrecy verbally. 

"I intend to drive McCloud from the West.  My first step is to meet with other District Leaders who may be sympathetic and have assistance to offer."  He leaned forward in his chair.  "If I could guarantee safe passage of those seeking shelter here without alerting McCloud, I would.  From what I have seen, keeping him in the dark is our best strategy until then."  He took a moment to glance around at the group again before settling his gaze on Monet.

"Unless there is another option that I am missing?"

Fler didn't wait for Monet to respond.  "I don't give a fuck if the vamps come after me--let them."  They straightened their posture, a bit of fire coming back into their eyes.  "I've got my people squatting in an abandoned building right now--its worth the risk to come here."  They made eye contact with Zeus and their tough expression flickered.  "I mean, if that's alright?"

"Of course," he smiled, "Any of you can stay here if you need to, so long as you can be discrete with your comings and goings."  He paused, looking to the ceiling as if trying to make quick calculations.  "That will become less necessary in the coming weeks, I gather."

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2019, 06:19:17 AM »
That flicker of anger was a comfort to Monet, who felt constantly full of rage herself that nothing was being done to rectify what had happened in the West. At mention of driving Jake McCloud's forces out of the West, it began to occur to her how tied his hands may be at the exact moment. He had no power anymore, not since the Oligarchy fell. He was just some demon like the rest of them, only now he had only a little more weight to throw.

Jake McCloud was the legal ruler of the West, whether they liked it or not. It was the same thing that was happening in America with that asshole in charge. The humans were losing their power, the corporations becoming more omnipotent with every bill passed through Congress. She ran in the types of circles where protesting all things oppressive was believed to be a necessity and that orange son-of-a-bitch was no different. There were movements on the left to overthrow him, of course, a despot with a bad combover and a history of crimes longer than her arm. McCloud was no different, as far as she was concerned, killing those who didn't fit the ideology on American soil in cold blood in the name of racial supremacy. The connection made a chill run down her spine and spark the fury that sat within her.

But Chtahzus'aak, for all his pretty words, was still a politician at heart. And she hated politicians.

Monet felt herself at a crossroads. To fight for the justice that she and so many others needed, she might have to side with someone who had once licked the boot of the law and would again given the opportunity, or fight and plot alone, with no resources or community or family to support her. It reminded her of the election that lead to the rise of the Cheeto - the argument of those on the far left to choose between the better of two evils, or to push their candidate through as hard as possible, even if it meant splitting the Democratic party. Only the fight for life and death wasn't some philosophical debate to effect millions of Americans over the span of four years; it was the lived genocide of a race of people based on the actions of a few. A tale as old as time.

She toyed with the strings of her sweatshirt, pinching the knots together. To be loud and alone, or quiet and in solidarity?

"I think..." she began and paused, feeling out her own words and hating them. "I think that you should start spreading the word on the down low. Find those who need the resources the most and begin moving them in. Those who have lost husbands, wives, family, children, their homes and businesses. Establish them first with the resources they need - food, shelter, medical. Give them a purpose again." She looked up at Zeus with a serious expression before crossing her arms over her chest and looking around the room at nothing in particular.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2019, 02:33:08 AM »
Zeus nodded, rubbing briefly at his face before leaning on the table again, giving Monet an earnest look.

"Right now, I cannot make a move without being seen."  He glanced away thoughtfully, wishing he'd been more prepared to have this conversation.  As things stood now he was stretched rather thin, still gathering people and resources.  "I know you have no reason to trust me,"  his tone was deliberately genuine in an attempt to appear more approachable, and he took a moment to look at each demon individually before continuing.  He was less worried about Noelle, and even Fler he suspected would be malleable if given the opportunity, but Monet was unreadable.  "But I intend to do all that I am capable of doing in order to change that.

"I need someone smart on the ground who can move freely about the city without arousing too much suspicion."  He addressed solely Monet now, bracing himself for her reaction and hoping against all odds that he'd won her over.  "Would you be willing to take charge of this outreach and act as a voice for those affected?"  It was a step away from proposing she'd act as an advisor to him on behalf of the community, but he suspected she'd balk at that.  He knew she was persistent, and from how she conducted herself before gaining entrance she seemed to be thoughtful with her actions.  Her suggestions showed she was smart and in touch with what the people needed.  It was impossible to deny how useful she could be in this role, and he wanted to pick her brain when the heat of her anger subsided.

"This isn't something I can do on my own," he offered quietly.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »
She gaped at him. "Me?" A self-conscious heat flooded her.

"I mean, yeah I could, theoretically..." She had led others in the past, spreading awareness of demonic injustices and advocating for victims of supernatural violences. Monet had been passionate about seeing demons treated fairly in a city where they outnumbered other supernaturals by a large margin. She believed back then that the city could have been a fantastic space for all supernaturals to live peacefully, and that her kind were not the ones to fear. But then the vampire Luminaries made things difficult, bolstered by the Mimic Demons. The thought of going door to door and inviting demons back to the West, of going into the main streets that McCloud had hit, finding these people, and actually being able to help them, of building a stronger community...

But how much could she actually trust this guy?

"I'd... I'd have to think about it," she said quietly, looking away from the former Oligarch as she contemplated what this all would mean. She wasn't quite ready to give up on her anger yet, solace taken there when everything else was falling apart; without her anger, how could she remember those she lost?