Author Topic: Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)  (Read 11685 times)

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
« on: August 13, 2019, 05:09:03 AM »
For Billiam

It has been a week since Dreki had collapsed. It happened at the highschool that he taught at. A mixture of the recent procedure from the facility slowly destroying him from the inside and overworking himself proved to be a bit too harsh for his body to handle anymore, while taken to an actual hospital in an ambulance, Hofflan was quick to intercept after about an hour. He had been transferred to the facility, of which he stayed for a couple of days, and forced to take the rest of the week off from work. Hofflan had sent out an email on Dreki's behalf to his employers explaining without much detail that Dreki would be out sick due to a medical emergency, and so far, was on trajectory to be back Monday of next week. He was brought back home on Wednesday, with a fresh diagnosis of Graft vs Host disease which may or may not have caused an autoimmune disorder with his stomach. Given how the treatment for both would have been the same in the end, Hofflan decided it wasn't worth exploring it further unless Dreki took a turn for the worse at somepoint in the future.

Despite being home on Wednesday, he was told to not go anywhere the next day as Hofflan himself would be stopping by with a more well constructed treatment plan and expectations. While Dreki would be fine in the end, it was still going to be a lifelong issue, regardless of how long that may even mean. Day became night, and Dreki sighed, sitting in his kitchen reading a book, awaiting for whenever Hofflan made his way over.

In the car on the way over, Hofflan decided to explain more to Nox about what the current assignment for him would be, beyond he gets to become a roommate with a special asset that lives on the outside, to specifically watch for Dreki's health and any possible leaks about the facility that may or may not have come from Dreki.

"So, to bring you a bit more up to date on your new roommate, Dreki is a special asset for us at the Facility. Not only does he have the ability to heal others, but is otherwise quite powerful. Most of his power is locked away for the majority of the time. I'm sure you've heard rumors of the angel boy who flat out killed someone else?" Hofflan wasn't reading from a physical file or anything, it was clear that Dreki was beyond just another experiment for the facility, but even far enough to be a bit of a pet project for Hofflan, "Yeah, same kid. Too much violence brought against him and he'll lose control of himself. Not only will he be able to fly, but he is also incredibly fast, and will rebound and heal from wounds as if they are nothing. You will see ethereal wings that he can use to fly, and if really in a bad situation an ethereal sword as well. He also will attack back until whatever the original threat was, is killed, or at least thats what the current observable behavior is. He's recently been augmented to be physically stronger all around with the same DNA that his original procedure was done with, so that may have changed to be better or worse, thats not something thats been tested yet. Oh, and be careful about speaking Russian in front of him. There is a Russian phrase that will make him turn as well, but it's been not very well tested so if you turn him like that, we don't know what will bring him back to his senses. Unfortunately I cannot give you the phrase, сожалею."

Hofflan wasn't exactly fluent in Russian anymore, it's been so long since he last spoke the language, and even back then, it was functional enough to mainly speak to other soldiers and not really an everyday thing. He knew the phrase that would trigger Dreki, and a few other odds and ends, but not enough to speak a full conversation, although he understood it just fine. He had no reason to brush up on speaking it again, and part of the reason why Dreki never bothered to learn Russian to help hide his thoughts was because he knew Hofflan understood it.

"You are to watch him, make sure his health doesn't physically decline too far. If he does heal someone, he'll get sick for a time, but nothing life threatening, but he doesn't often do that, if at all anymore. He tries to limit his visits with me, or at least whats within his power to do so. His recent augmentation caused more problems than expected so he is going to be given a bottle full of steroids take take until they are up to at least help bridge the gap of time it will take for the infusion he was given yesterday to pick up and work. He'll need to come back every 6 weeks to get another infusion, and I cannot say how that will affect his ability to get sick or heal from wounds. Normally he doesn't get sick or stay injured for long, a broken bone might take a day or two of healing, but cuts and scrapes would leave within minutes or less depending on the size, that may have changed. Make sure he eats about 3 meals a day, he currently had a feeding tube in to give his stomach some time to heal itself, but he does have a habit of not eating very often. Also he does have a history of suicide attempts, he's never been successful, the angel DNA in him will keep him alive at the very least so don't worry about him too hard if he starts being melodramatic. There have also been times where I have not been able to mentally contact him, or when I do the events do fully line up with what has happening before hand, so also make sure you know where he is, but let him keep a belief that he has privacy."

The car stopped in front of a nice looking apartment building, they were finally there.

"Any questions before we go up?" He asked Nox, knowing Dreki was awaiting them.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 05:37:27 AM »
Nox didn't like this strange doctor. He'd been told to play nice from his CO, and Hofflan was told to stay out of Nox's mind, and so the soldier sat patiently as the case of this Dreki kid was told to him. He didn't know much about the doc, except he had fangs and kept a lot of his work separate from Nox's normal duties. However, Nox didn't need much more. Why Project Twilight would employ a filthy fanger was beyond Nox, but he had to trust that it was to help protect people from the monsters. This city was just so full of them. He did remember the case of a boy killing someone at the facility, but hadn't thought much of it. Nox and Luke had also had difficult transitions into being a special asset. What Nox didn't understand was why this one didn't work with the others. Weren't they all fighting for the same thing? He did like that he was finally allowed to move out of the facility. Facility life was great but had it's limits. He wondered how'd he'd decorate his room. Would he be able to bring dates over?

These were the questions he had as Dr. Frankenangel pulled up to the pad. The place looked pretty nice. He'd expected some cookie cutter piece of shit in the north. He could get used to this. He turned his head, and nodded no at any questions, but did speak before heading up.

"You know this is one of my assignments, right" he said, his deep base voice resonating in the car. "I have orders to track another special asset and learn how the mon-, how the supernaturals operate. He doesn't need me to lead him around right?"

It was more changeling than he would've been with his CO, but not insubordinate. He would watch the kid and report his movements, and intervene if needed, but Major Nox was not playing nurse maid. If his question was answered, he'd leave the car and follow Dr. Hofflan to Dreki's, and his, apartment.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 06:27:07 AM »
"He may be blind, but he prefers his independence," he says offhandedly, almost as if it didn't matter any that Dreki is blind, "plus one of his jobs is working at a college where he teaches supernaturals and works with other supernaturals, so you can probably learn a thing or two from him for at least one of your other assignments. All 3 of his jobs involve teaching, so it's not like you won't have time away from him, as you won't be able to follow him into his jobs. I actually want to convince him to drop the one where he teaches English to others on the weekend. It pays the least, it takes up only two days a week, and he needs a day off or two if he expects to recover." He spoke as he got out of the car and walked into the building, making sure Nox was following him inside.

Once they got to the door on the 3rd floor, Hofflan knocked on the door, and the tall blond answered after a couple of moments, the end of the feeding tube coming out of his nose, tapped to his cheek

"Who's this?" he asked, he sounded tired, he recognized Hofflan but not the other person.

"Your new roommate. Can we come in? We have things we need to discuss." Hofflan sounded mildly demanding, Dreki's face turned into one of confusion and like he wanted to say something, but decided against it.

"Uhhh, sure. Come in" Dreki sounded exhausted, like he didn't want to deal with this but had no fight left in him to protest. He walked away from the door, leaving it open, letting Hofflan and Nox in. The apartment was immaculately clean, he sat down at the kitchen table, in front of him lay a book face down. Braille was on the spine of the book, it was otherwise plain white. The apartment itself was nice, and comfortable enough for two people to exist inside of it.

Hofflan motioned for Nox to walk inside, as Hofflan wanted to make sure the door was closed and locked with all 3 of them inside.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 06:33:00 AM »
Nox entered without a word, making sure to scan the blonde man in front of him. He needed to learn everything about him; his habits, the ways he changed his appearance, the sound of his voice, everything. He avoided scanning the apartment for a moment. He stood totatly still, like a solider at attention, not a man who'd just entered his new home. At his feet was a beat up duffel bag. He dropped it to the ground, resulting in a boom noise. Once the door was closed he addressed Dreki.

"Major Nox, U.S. army, he introduced. He didn't remember his last name anymore, or his first name for that matter. Nox was all that was left. Project Twilight had taken the rest. Based on observation, it looked like Dreki didn't know they were coming, and while he'd been taught to show nothing, he couldn't help but look at Dr. Hofflan pensively.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:08:43 AM »
Dreki looked at Nox, there was an intense look emanating from his eyes, but it wasn't a bad look, just a really focused look. Mostly as if he had to concentrate to see anything. He was used to doing this by now but his eyes always had this look.

"Dreki Arach." Dreki simply responded back to Nox. He could tell Nox wasn't human, which didn't surprise him given how Hofflan was the one to introduce them. He had no reason to question that at all. "Feel free to take a seat."

"So given your recent collapse and failure to tell me that you were beyond unwell, I figured it's probably not a good idea for you to live alone right now," Hofflan started as he sat down, motioning Nox to do so as well. He took a pill bottle out of his pocket and put it on the table, "It's steroids, take two daily until you run out. It should give you enough of a buffer until the remicade kicks in."

"If I'm not supposed to eat food normally until Sunday night then how?" Dreki raised an eyebrow, not fighting now having a babysitter basically. He hadn't realized he was bleeding, and realized he probably should have gone to a hospital when Sam suggest he had.

"Crush it up and put it through your feeding tube. Take it with food." Hofflan mentioned without missing a beat. "Also, given the stress on your body, I would recommend quitting your ESL teaching job. It pays the least and you're going to need days off to heal up properly."

"And if I don't?"

"Would you like me to quit all your jobs on your behalf and take you back into the facility for good?" Hofflan had no problem threatening as such. "Or even Emma could get involved."

"...Fine." Dreki sighed, seemingly annoyed, but also defeated. He looked at Nox, them back at Hofflan. "Is that all or what?"

"All from me, Nox, anything you want to add before I leave you two be?" He asked, still sitting.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »
Nox's distaste for the fanger deepened as he treated a human like shit. Of course he did. All of those supers were the same. He made note of the name, Emma, and the open and direct threat. This was no way to live. At least Nox had a command structure and was in the military. He had to follow orders. This kid seemed to have no such commitment, but rather being roped in via fear and intimidation. Nox had wanted this mission, once he knew what it was. This Dreki kid just wanted to teach ESL.

He turned his head to Dr. Hofflan. "Nope. I'm good. First report in two days. If you need to reach me, text the first number. If you need to reprogram me, contact HQ and ask for agent Waters. I believe you're familiar."

He turned to Dreki now, studying the kid. Maybe this was a good gig. He could act as a buffer between Dr. FrankenAngel and the kid here.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 07:32:27 AM »
"Good," Hofflan stood up and walked to the door, "you two have fun now." That last phrase was said in almost a mocking tone, as he left and closed the door behind him.

Dreki also stood up from the table and looked at Nox. "Follow me," he said, figuring he'd bring Nox to his room at least. He walked a little down the hall and stopped in front of the first door in the hallway and opened it. Inside was a plain, but fully furnished spare bedroom.

"Welcome home I suppose," he said, sounding exhausted, he looked fairly exhausted too, with his hair fully down and in comfortable clothing, "This is my only spare bedroom, I used to use it for AirBnB from time to time, but I've kept it clean. That being said, please keep everything outside of your room how you found it if you've used something. I am blind, so it's more out of me being able to easily find things. I can see the outline of 3D objects but I can't read text or anything so particularly for labels on food items, it's helpful if I can find it. Beyond that if you bring someone over or otherwise need privacy, just close your bedroom door and I'll leave you be. I'll be doing the same. My bedroom door is down the hall also on the right. Bathroom is the only door on the left." He pointed at the doors as he explained what was where.

"Do you want food or a drink or something while you settle in?" He then offered. Figured he might as well help Nox feel more at home to the best he could for now. "Any questions for me?"

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 08:54:37 AM »
Nox followed Dreki as he showed him the room. It was a room, and for now lacked any personal touches. Nox would have to fix that, but it opened a new question for him. What were his tastes? What did he like and didn't like? He'd been in military housing for so long he'd never had to think about things like decorating. Now, he wondered if he should paint. Considering what he was here to do - basically be a live in parole officer - Nox found it amusing he was thinking about decor. He listened as Dreki explained about not moving things around. He'd try to be considerate, but Dreki would have to get used to him running the house, not the other way around.

"We can keep separate pantries," he answered. "I promise to leave your shit alone, but mine will be locked. I have to keep a special diet for my... body."

He'd almost said "for my alterations" but decided Dreki didn't need to know about anything he couldn't already tell. The tail was going to be hard to miss. Dreki was being accommodating, too accommodating.

"No, I'm fine," he answered. "You seem rather accepting of all this. I take it from both how Dr. Hofflan greeted you, and how you reacted, you didn't know I was coming today?"

He crossed his arms and waited for an answer.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »
"I'm not in the habit of taking things that aren't mine, I can tell you're not human, but to be fair looking at myself, I don't register as human anymore either." Not like Dreki could use mirrors but when reference when he looks at his arms, legs, torso, or other body parts of his, "Not even sure if I register as an angel because I have yet to meet one. You sort of feel like someone I know, but I'm unaware of what they are, and even then it's not the same. Just a familiar hint." He half rambled, he was tried to rambles are a bit more common, but still awake enough to stop himself somewhat.

"Also you're correct on that. When Hofflan said he was going to visit today I expected him to be alone. He did ask if I was currently renting the room out and I told him I wasn't, but wasn't quite expecting, a roommate." The last word didn't have a bad inflection on it, but it did sound like he wanted to call Nox something else, like a babysitter perhaps. It sounded too harsh to call him that to his face though. In a way he wasn't surprised, given the medical issues that had befallen him, but he wasn't quite happy to know that Hofflan will know more about him than he already does.

"But there isn't much I can really do to go against him. I either play his game or get punished, as I'm sure you heard the threats he gave me. I can't imagine treating you poorly would do anything beyond make things worse for me in the end as well, not like I'm in the habit of being an asshole either, but I'm sure you can understand that I don't exactly trust you. You report to someone who already knows so much of my life, to someone who has so much control over me that if I don't ask how high when he tells me to jump then it's basically the end of any happiness I've had in my life. While I won't impede you purposefully, I also will likely not tell you anything that he doesn't already know." He said being rather up front about things. He wasn't harsh in his tone, if anything it was soft and polite, likely in part due to his tiredness. His distrust of Nox made sense given his distrust of Hofflan.

"Any other questions or is there anything you need for your room that I've somehow missed?" He then asked, figuring getting as much out of the way as possible would be for the best.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 10:28:49 AM »
Dreki didn't get to say much of what he had been planning, for the moment he dared accuse Nox of not being human, he would've been loudly interrupted!

"I am human," he yelled! He'd seen to change in a minute, but in all the things Dreki could've ever said, he uttered the worst possible thing. Nox hated the idea of being one the monster's he hunted. He couldn't even imagine being a filthy supernatural. The fact that had their DNA in him was bad enough, but to be thought of as one of them was a step too far. He knew the doctor wouldn't like him bloodying up what he'd been told to guard, but he wouldn't let that kind of thing go unchallenged by some punk.

"Don't ever fucking say that again," he barked, fists clenching and mouth twisting into something murderous. His eyes narrowed in on the boy. How had this little twerp killed someone in training? Maybe he did have power in him. However just looking at him, Nox felt he could snap him in two. He didn't though. It was unprofessional, and he heard the soft voice of Agent Waters whispering to him during a training session.

The supernaturals will try and convince you you're one of them, because you share their traits. Do not be deceived solider.

He relaxed his fist, and breathed out slowly. His tension ran off him like water. "House rule. We don't talk about our alterations, or what shit is inside us."

It was non negotiable, and he stood silently waiting for the affirmative answer he demanded.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 11:02:51 AM »
He jumped at the anger that Nox expressed to him. He backed away and bumped into the wall opposite the door. While not viewable, his wings could be sensible for those who could sense it. He looked mildly terrified at worst, but greatly concerned at best. The last thing he wanted to to start a fight, particularly when he still didn't feel 100%.

"Y-yeah, of course" he spoke quietly, didn't look at Nox, "I should, uhhh, let you get settled. I'm sorry" he said then started to head to his room, he didn't want to be in this situation anymore. He didn't want to be stuck with the facility, this babysitter, this life. He didn't quite want to piss off Nox again, and thus figured it better he leave him be for now, unless Nox decided to bother him. If he made it to his room, he'd close the door behind him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »
Nox watched as the boy practically ran from him. It made him feel guilty. He was here to protect and moniter this kid not terrify him. He debated moving to the door and knocking. He could just apologize and probably smooth over the moment. However, he decided against such a direct remedy. His training told him it was counterproductive to establish an understanding with someone he was here to guard. There was a conflict of interest in vulnerability, and his explosive reaction had been vulnerable enough. He grabbed his bag and moved into his room, shutting the door behind him.

The solider unpacked what little he had, a few changes of clothes mostly. There was a small Polaroid of him and a muscular blonde man, together in uniform. It had been a candid shot, from another special asset long dead. He'd managed to get Nox the photo though, and he'd kept it since. He had a watch, an appointment book, and a few small weapons. That was it.

He would get a proper gun safe tomorrow, but for now kept his fire arms disassembled and unloaded in his bag, which he placed under the bed. There was a 45. handgun, a sniper rifle, and something like a long gun, with ammunition for each. Tactical body armor also stayed in the bag. That was for his other assignments. Once unpacked, he went back to the bed, but couldn't shake the guilt of being so mean during his first few seconds here. How could he make it up?

He decided to sleep on it, and after a quick trip to the bathroom, he shut himself in for the night. He had a room all to himself. It was a start.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 03:55:37 PM »
When he got into his room, he put headphones into his phone and shot a text to Drew.

'I have a babysitter now. Not sure of my limits.' and he left it at that.

He fell asleep not long after, the exhaustion of his body healing finally took over for the rest of the night. He woke up the next day, still feeling like garbage. Not as bad as yesterday so he was indeed still getting better, but then he thought back on what happened yesterday, he was forced into a new roommate, and already managed to piss him off. He sat up and looked at the door of his bedroom, he didn't want to leave, but knew he'd have to eat something and take the medicine that Hofflan gave him to keep what little of his independence he had left. He sighed to himself as he got up and opened his door, and used the bathroom first and foremost, and ended up taking a shower.

He emerged from the bathroom, his hair in a low ponytail, still wearing what amounted to sweatpants and a t-shirt. He began to brew some Coffee and prep his breakfast smoothie, given the special food formula given to him by the facility. He crushed the medicine into powder thanks to a mortar and pestle and mixed that in with the formula as well as some of the coffee, and the rest of the liquid was water. While that wasn't fully recommended, it wouldn't hurt either, and Dreki felt that room temperature was a bit cold anyway feeling it move through the tube on his nose. It was a way of warming it up a bit and getting his caffeine fix. He decided to leave the rest of it for Nox, wondering if his special diet would allow for coffee.  He was afraid to ask given what happened the night before.

He really didn't want to deal with Nox at all anymore given what happened, but knew that he had no choice. He however, refused to feel terrified in his own home. He might not have felt safe anymore but he wasn't going to let what happen keep him holed up in his room or anything. He grabbed his book from the kitchen table on the night before and made it to the giant Yogibo he had in the living room. He angled his head just right as he used the syringe full of the food mixture slowly empty itself into his feeding tube, and read while it happened. He still felt pretty tired, and debated going back to bed after feeding himself, or to try and let the caffeine from the coffee kick in and see if he perked up a bit to be awake for a while.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 05:20:55 PM »
Nox entered the apartment shortly after Dreki made coffee. He entered carrying a few paper grocery bags, and regarded Dreki stiffly as he closed the door. He was holding what looked like a brand new set of keys, and he carefully placed Dreki's in the spot he'd found them. He was sure that his roommate would hear the setting down of the metal, and his ginger touch was not to be secretive, but more so respectful. He entered the kitchen and pulled out a pack of butter, a dozen eggs, an onion, two bell peppers, and some fresh ham.

"You like omelets," he asked, his whole demeanor as if they'd just met. "I make a pretty good omelet if you'd like one."

He quickly searched the kitchen and found a frying pan, and placed a small cut of butter on it. He was making himself one, and the kid was skin and bones. Nox could at least make sure he ate well. He didn't like the idea of a feeding tube. As he waited for an answer, he began to slice the onion meticulously.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 05:47:00 PM »
Dreki heard Nox enter, had looked towards Nox and watched him move towards the kitchen, a bit nervously. He hadn't even noticed his keys were missing, but at the same time, was glad that Nox did take them. He wasn't a fan of leaving his apartment unlocked, the fact that it looked like Nox got his own keys made, made him a bit relieved that Nox could now come and go as he pleased, also allowing Dreki the freedom to come and go as he needed to as well. When he heard Nox ask if he liked omelettes he wasn't sure how to respond. Nox was his babysitter, forced upon him by Hofflan who was not only his adoptive father, but doctor, and prison. He wasn't sure what to make of it, given how he technically wasn't supposed to be eating actual foods yet, and they both knew that.

"Is this a test?" He asked in response, then expanded upon it, "I know you're supposed to report to Hofflan in a day or so, and we both know that he doesn't want me to eat solid food quite yet." He seemed distrustful about the situation. "I do like omelettes, but I don't want one if its purpose is for you to tell Hofflan I disobeyed his medical orders." He mentioned, as it was clear that Nox might have more of a hurdle than just him having snapped at Dreki the night before. Dreki very much associated Nox with Hofflan, as far as he knew, Nox was likely to tell Hofflan of every little wrongdoing and force him to come back to the facility, which he already made clear he didn't want, given how compliant he became due to Hofflan's threats the previous day.