Author Topic: Sword Maiden  (Read 19330 times)

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Sword Maiden
« on: August 15, 2019, 02:33:39 PM »
Her collection of swords was extensive.

When Jake arrived at Shogun House to view it, Lan Bao was waiting for him there. Dressed in a sky blue pants suit with a Chinese collar, Bao had her hair up for a more modern presentation. She greeted Jake with a bow and nod, asked if he had liked the fans and the presentation of their receipt (but didn't inquire after Shan) and then instructed him to follow her.

They moved to the elevator and Bao instructed the usher within to press the button for the first floor.

It opened into a wide foyer corridor and Bao moved him past several reinforced doors to a heavy wooden one carved with two curling Chinese dragons engraved on it. She uttered a Chinese phrase and the doors opened before them into a wide, tiled space. Display cabinets were everywhere, much like the metropolitan museum. Wall display cabinets, freestanding displays both wide and tall, depending on how the weapons were shown within.

She had swords from all over the world, and as they walked farther into the room, the heavy wooden doors closed soundlessly behind them.

"Are you interested in well-made swords, Mr McCloud, or should I show you straight to the weapons blessed with charms?" Her tone was warm and amused.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Sword Maiden
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2019, 02:49:12 PM »
Jake arrived a bit early, his own sword resting on his back. A shoulder strap held it in place as he exited his car service onto the street. The Shogun House was easily located, and Jake found himself looking forward to this date, despite not having the news he'd hoped. Lan Bao didn't ask him right away, so he was more than happy to discuss the fans, and even Shan for the moment.

He returned the greeting with equal measure, and even remarked that he liked her hair that way, which he did. He liked seeing her in a more modern light, but also still herself. He thanked for her for the fans, and made comments about both their physical beauty and how they looked in use. He even mentioned wanting to learn how to use them, in case she had any teachers lying around. He wanted to thank her for the other gift, but the timing wasn't right.

He followed her with a comfortable silence between them, or at least it felt the way to Jake. He was impressed by the password protected door, and as they entered Jake began looking at everything. Some models and eras of history he recognized, but it was clear her collection dwarfed his own by a large amount. He really regretted ruining that broadsword over Zoheret. All in all, he was already impressed, although he was careful to have a more controlled display of appreciation. He had a million questions for her, but decided it was polite to answer her's first.

"Well made swords and even ones not in the best condition. I enjoy them for their history and craftsmanship. I want to see all you have to show."

His own sword was available too, and while not as impressive as Lan Bao's entire collection, Jake hardly felt he'd come to this show and tell empty handed. He scanned around the room, but thought to add, "but I do want to see the ones with charms."

He made sure to tell her that just in case. Jake wore simple garb, a tight black tea shirt and dark blue jeans. His hair was spikey and youthful, and his overall mood was controlled excitement, like steam hissing out the lid of a boiling pot.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 04:20:17 PM »
When Jake requested he see all her swords, she tipped her head in acknowledgement and walked with him to the first wall display. Every sword had a plaque with three pieces of information on it; A country, a date, and a name. The country and date were obvious in their relation to the sword, but the name wasn't quite as clear. As Jake moved along the swords, one name he read was repeated. When Lan Bao was sure that he was trying to figure out the meaning of it, she explained.

"Where and when the sword was made is good for me to know," she said, "as is the name of who gave it to me. Sometimes just a collector, other times a gift from someone important who wishes me to know I am important to them. I do not wish to forget any such gestures."

She smiled and moved on to the next sword; a thin rapier with a bejewelled handle. Striking and ridiculously expensive. It was from France.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 04:27:15 PM »
Jake was engrossed in each weapon, impressed by the simplicity of what was displayed. How she'd settled on only those details was baffling to Jake, and yet it made perfect sense! He learned the basics of each weapon, and the ones he was most impressed with he could do further research on his own. She ended up catching his muttering, as he was trying to correctly pronounce the difficult name. Lan Bao's explanation of her system was intriguing, but for a moment Jake seemed to almost pet his own sword, a light touch running down it's stalk.

"I shall place the name Lan Bao in front of the fans then," Jake replied, smiling warmly and looking at the ostentatious rapier. It was a pretty thing to look at, but seemed more a museum piece than a true weapon of war. The closest Jake handled to a rapier was a short sword, but he appreciated the item nonetheless.

"Do you ever name your swords, or do they always share the name of their former owners?"
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »
"Some of my swords have names," she declared. "Not these ones. The named swords are in a different display. Would you like to see?" she offered. At Jake's acceptance she turned them and headed for the freestanding tall glass cases that were lined up in two long rows from the wooden door. They stopped at the first one.

It was a curved golden sword, much like a sabre but thicker and with two points at the end, like a snake tongue. There was no plaque.

While staring at it, Bao spoke. "I do not have Excalibur, but I do have Zulfiqar. Even though many believe it to be charmed, it is not. The man who wielded it was considered mighty and at the very least I can confirm his great power came not from his sword."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2019, 04:48:02 PM »
Jake followed suit, and wasn't surprised to hear that Lan Bao's more precious weapons were the ones with more personal names. He stopped before Zulfiqar, and he couldn't hide the awe from his face. Wasn't this the legendary weapon of the prophet? Jake dipped his head respectfully at Lan Bao, impressed by her acquisition.

"This is extraordinary," he said. "Thank you for showing me something this rare." While Jake often had snark buried in even the most genuine of statements, there was none of that now. No, there was another side of him coming out that the other district leaders had never seen. He respected great warriors, and collectors of that type, and so his personal respect for Lan Bao grew. It showed in his dialogue towards her, and the way he regarded her. He wondered if she ever used these weapons, and had a feeling she did. He wouldn't mind seeing her demonstrate, as long as she wasn't swinging them near his head.

"And I met a vampire named Robin who claimed to have that one," he said, referencing Excalibur. He didn't know what to ask to see next, and Lan Bao knew her collection far better than he did. He would follow her to the next display, or even another room. This was her tour to give.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 06:53:27 AM »
Bao was pleased with his reaction, thinking it was appropriate given the nature of the sword. The other named ones she had were from history, wielded by mortals who weren't quite so great. Kings, Queens, Emperors, Generals and the like. None who'd made quite as big an impact in history or mythology as this one.

Jake piqued her interest with the information about Excalibur. So someone called Robin had it?

"Did Robin have a last name?" she asked.

She didn't move away from Zulfiqar, though the display was large in the open-space room. They could take their time.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
Jake delighted in his information being interesting to his hostess. He was also in no hurry, and was more than happy to answer her questions. Tyler wouldn't like what Jake was about to say, but they weren't here to stop him and would likely never know.

"Well, he goes by Robin Leland these days, but you'd likely know him as Robin Hood. His fledge recently came to town if you want to know more."

Would she believe him? Considering what she'd just shown him it was proof that famous blades and fairy tale characters existed. Robin Leland was an old and powerful vampire, and was in England at the time of the famous bandit, but did that make him the real Robin Hood? Jake only accepted the tale because his fledge was another piece of vampire mythology, or at least Anarch mythology.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 10:22:17 AM »
So the owner was Robin Hood, from mythology. It made sense in a way, for King Arthur was considered from mythology too, believed to be a work of fiction. But she knew Caliburn existed because she'd seen the Round Table and Percival's body. She had his sword here, in a display case a little farther along. Ten steps would take them to it. For now she kept them at the twin-tongued sword and stared at Jake with a new appreciation.

"I would like to know more," she said, the familiar tendril of excitement growing in her belly from gaining a new lead on an sword she so badly wanted. She'd hoped to see and discuss Jake's sword this evening but the scent of a greater weapon distracted her. She knew she should pay attention to what Jake had brought to show her but her collection was her obsession and she struggled to move past it.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 11:03:48 AM »
Jake began to regret sharing this information, not because he feared Lan Bao having it, but because he knew Tyler wouldn't want to answer questions, and may even offend Lan Bao! He decided to say all he knew before mentioning Tyler.

"When I met him, he told me he won it from King John over some sort of contest," Jake shared. "It fits with the whole Robin Hood theme. I don't know how King John got it."

Jake could try and control Tyler's behavior, frame it as a chance to get the real story out and that Lan Bao would make a good ally and friend. However, Tyler distrusted the Kuei Jin, and hated talking about Robin. They'd had some falling out years before. Jake didn't knew the details other than it had something to do with honor. He nodded understandingly, and decided to plow ahead. Tyler would cooperate.

"I'll set up a time for you and Tyler to meet. He can tell you everything he knows," Jake assured. Tyler was going to murder him for this. He pointed to what looked like a Visigoth pike. "From the sack of Rome," he asked conversationally. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
Lan Bao listened attentively as Jake spoke about the exchange of owners before giving her a name and also the promise of a meeting. Her lips widened into a broad, closed smile.

"Thank you, Jake." Her gaze shifted from the Ventrue to the pike on the far wall. "Yes, you have a good eye and are well informed," she complimented. Her expression relaxed into neutrality.

They moved to the next case that was wider than the first because it held two swords. "These are Colada and Tizona, swords of royalty. I procured them from a museum five years ago. They had them displayed on loan from a private collection and their owner was convinced to part with them."

She gave Jake the same broad, closed smile that she'd given him before, when discussing Excalibur's owner's fledge.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2019, 12:57:01 PM »
Jake didn't want to know what Lan Bao meant by convincing the owner to part with the royal blades before him. In vampire circles it wouldn't have been a clever way of talking about mind control, but Jake admitted it could be as a simple as she bought them. They were standouts as well, and Jake nodded appreciatively. He was in his head about Tyler. Ben, Zeus, Zoheret and Saraekiel likely each thought they were the biggest danger to Jake staying on as district leader, but it was Tyler Jake most feared. Tyler could turn his own people against him. There was no coming back from that.

Jake thanked Lan Bao for her compliment, but found the way it was worded slightly patronizing despite the warmness with which it was delivered. Jake held out his own blade for Lan Bao to inspect.

"I think it's time I showed you something special," Jake said. He was reluctant to let anyone hold Venom. Sabrina had done so, but Jake trusted her with his life. Lan Bao had earned his good fortune, but this was a far more serious test of trust. He reminded himself simply letting her see it didn't mean she wouldn't give it back and that he was overthinking it. He waited patiently but attentively.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2019, 04:40:53 PM »
Lan Bao's eyebrows rose at the tease. She nodded again, her smile dissipating a little but still strong as her gaze followed Jake's movements.

"It would please me greatly, Mr McCloud," she said, bowing her head slightly in gracious acceptance. She thought of the mat around the corner that had free space around it, for whenever she felt the desire to take one (or two) of the swords from their display case and then perform a series of moves with it.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 02:42:58 AM »
"Shall we go somewhere with a little more room," he asked. "Perhaps I can show what I can do with it. I'm not a true master, but I hope you will enjoy it regardless."

He beamed a winning grin, and pulled back the sword to his waist. It was still available to be taken, if Lan Bao wished it, or he would follow her to wherever she took him next. He was surprised she didn't take the opportunity to hold the sword. He would've taken it right from her hand if she'd offered it to him.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 07:07:26 AM »
The sword had not been presented to her in a manner she felt worthy of her. Two extended hands and a bowed head was the appropriate manner for such an offering. Luckily for Jake she hadn't felt slighted, thinking that he'd only implied she would be allowed to use it where there was more room, as he'd said.

On the way to the mats, they passed several swords in solitary display within their upright rectangular cubes. One of them she paused at and whispered a few words before lifting the case and setting it onto the floor. These swords, more difficult to get at, were her prize collections. Goujian, a famous Chinese sword, sent a spark thrumming up her hand from the hilt as she curled her hand around it and lifted it from its holders. She didn't introduce it to Jake - not yet - and held it, point upwards, as she continued the rest of the way to the back of the room and then extended her free arm towards the mats there with a flourish.

"A place for us to spar," she said. "It has a protective field that no blood shall be spilled. You may swing as powerfully as you like in an attempt to remove a limb, such as my hand from its wrist," she continued, a twitch of a smile on her lips, "but your sword will only lightly touch me so that I know you have won that move, but it will not follow through. We do not have to be careful not to harm one another. It makes sparring more enjoyable."

Not to mention realistic. She believed, even with Jake McCloud's reputation as a great swordsman, that she was superior, for she practised every day without holding back, and he could not. However, he'd seen true battle on multiple occasions and she had seen only one.

She was looking forward to this.

"First, we shall use our own weapons, to demonstrate to the other the techniques best suited to them." Bao stepped out of her shoes and moved to the mat and plunged the sword towards the mat, where it stopped before it could do damage. "To make it fair, you can test how it will feel for your sword to be forced to a halt and what it will feel like when a sword is halted on you. For trust, you may swing at my arm, first."

She wondered if he would do it without making a protest or if he would be eager for the experience.