Author Topic: In The Dirt  (Read 17909 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: In The Dirt
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2019, 08:25:08 AM »
At his statement that Ben was the only one who thought they couldn't work together, he stopped before getting to his feet. He stared at the mayor as thought he'd grown two heads. Had he not just said he couldn't even trust that Ben was who he was? What the fuck was that about, then? A joke? Since he'd already given up on Figueroa, Ben's attitude shifted gear. He wasn't going to put up with that mind game shit. If the mayor was the kind to say one thing and then immediately contradict himself (a huge surprise and disappointment to Ben), then they really wouldn't be able to work together - but he took the mayor's statement to mean there was one more chance.

He spoke again, evenly and matter-of-fact, but he remained perched on his seat ready to go.

"Look, I'm a straight talker. People don't like me because of it and I expect you'll probably be the same but here goes. You've been resisting and demanding prizes from me this whole meeting and then you finished on the idea that you can't trust me because I might be a shapeshifter which is a bizarre accusation. Just to be clear, I already have a list of people who are living in the central district who are supernaturals or humans in the know. All I want from you is a list so I can cross-check that nobody moved from here to there, or maybe new supernaturals who entered the city that I already know about ended up living in the metro area. You're arguing with me over it like it's gold. I don't need it, I can work around it, it was just a way to get a working relationship with you. But if you don't want to work with me, just tell me no and I'll leave you alone."

He waited to either be kicked out of the office or for the mayor to do damage control so that his funding didn't walk out the door. Ben wasn't the NRA here, he didn't want the mayor to change policies for him.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2019, 03:51:45 AM »
Talk about missing the forest for the trees, he thought to himself as the vampire responded to his accusation like it was fact and not an example. He didn't know Ben Samson from any other supernatural brick in the wall and he was the Mayor of the goddamn city. Was Samson really just expecting the Mayor to give up information without gaining from it somehow? It could have been a massive security breach that, if it fell into the wrong hands, would leave him not only jobless but have him facing a hefty prison sentence.

Elected officials couldn't just hand out citizen's private information without a significant amount of trust. As civil as Samson was attempting to be, there were some crucial details it was missing about holding a public office. Mainly, you don't shit where you eat.

Eddy's face remained a neutral expression, listening and waiting and nothing else. There was a second reference to 'cross-checking' that damn list. There was definitely something wrong with that. At first he considered handing the census over simply because it would help him unseat that little prick McCloud, but instantly reconsidered, weighing his knowledge against his options. He tucked the acknowledgement of the list away for future use. Blackmail, maybe? Perhaps he could subpoena that list on grounds of city welfare? He'd have to think on it.

"Look, Mr. Samson," Eddy said, tucking his hands into his pockets and rocking back onto his heels. "I've met with McCloud before. The kid's a flashy idiot with a position of power in a big city. He walked into my office like he ran the damn city, not me." At mention of the so-called 'Central District Leader', Edgar gave a nod in the general direction of the office door. "You're a much better politician in a much better position than he is right now; I heard about the West District and the trials and all that. And if that school of yours is doing as good as I've heard, then you have nothing to worry about." He smirked wryly at the vampire.

"Of course I'm interested in getting human representation on that council you're building. But you have to give me something to go on here." He looked hard at Ben, his words sounding like common sense in his ear. "A public statement about your platform for the safety of humans and supernaturals alike is not only going to go a far way with the voters, but it's telling me that you're the right guy to put trust in. It's a show of good faith that you are a man of your word. And in return, you'll get the city census and the unwavering support from the Mayor's office."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »
Serious-minded and nervous as hell, Ben was greatly relieved that Figueroa had finally stopped feeling like a minefield. It only made Ben more aware that he was entering a game far superior than he was used to. He'd had a sharp learning curve in working with others in getting the Academy up and running, sure, but that was so far removed from what this was that he realised how awfully inexperienced he was. Managing a project and hiring people to perform a job was nothing like working with people to manage other people. What the hell was he thinking? He realised now how badly he needed those advisors. He was going to lean on them pretty hard at the start.

"Thank you. That's completely reasonable and I'll do that straight away." He should've released a statement about his objectives straight away anyway - it was an oversight that he hadn't. "I'm not surprised about Jake behaving that way to you. That's my biggest problem with him, actually - he demands worship but calls it respect. He doesn't know what respect even is. You know, I looked into him recently. He used to rule in other cities, and at some point or other during his leadership the vampires there descended into war. It makes his move into the west so much worse because it shows he learnt nothing from his past." Ben stood as well, figuring they were winding up, but since Figueroa had told him he was in such a good position, Ben explained why he thought he wasn't. "Jake has been around for a long time though, in a position of power. An article came out recently saying 'if it isn't broken, then don't fix it' because keeping the status quo is less scary than taking a risk for improvement. The onus of proof that he's unfit to lead is on me while also not leading a negative campaign, and my biggest claim to fame is that I'm the ex-Luminary's 'wife'," Ben used air-quotes. If Figueroa didn't know who Ben Samson was, he certainly would've heard about Kerr Galvin. "I learnt a lot watching you campaign last year, actually. It was amazing to watch. You were the calm inside the whirlwind that was your opponent," he said with a grin, relaxed enough now to gush a little.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 02:11:32 AM »
An impressed confusion filtered into his expression. "You were Kerr Galvin's... uh... partner?"

Of course he had heard of Galvin, the former Luminary of supernaturals. Besides the briefing that he had received on the vampire from the former mayor, he had seen it around town hall from time to time. An impressive, bleeding-heart (illusion) of a man. The first time Eddy had laid eyes on the vampire - without knowing what it was - he was running for Senate and was interested in seeking out the former Mayor's vote specifically. He had never spoken with the Luminary, and neither did he realize just what the hell a Luminary was in the city - at the time he just assumed Kerr Galvin was the head of some organization lobbying for more wiggle room. It wasn't a common sight to see Galvin, but he had become familiar enough with the shape of it and its presence, though something had always irked him. After he had been elected Mayor, Eddy figured out why that was. But with Galvin dead, there was nothing else to really worry about.

He had been informed of the dissolution of the Oligarchy for Supernaturals, the death of the Luminary, and the division of the city districts amongst the old 'Oligarchs'. While it had been a lot to comprehend and take in - like learning the inner workings of a city he knew nothing about - he was assured that the supernaturals would leave him in relative peace.

Fat chance of that now.

"Make sure you mention that warmongering if you ever go to debate. The first rule of politics is to not react to any of the stupidity that's flung your way - a lesson McCloud could learn."

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2019, 02:47:14 PM »
Ben nodded and wondered if he should've mentioned Kerr at all. Perhaps he'd just undone all of the moves he'd just made with that one admission. Would he now no longer be considered credible? His usual doubts began to surface. Instead of that happening though, he was given advice about how to handle Jake. From the positive-campaign mayor himself, he'd been told to mention the warmongering. Not as a smear, but as a fact. And to keep his cool.

Yes, and yes.

"Thank you so much. Here's how to contact me," Ben said, handing the mayor a card with his name, email and phone number on it. It was one of his Academy cards, and had the Academy's name and crest printed across it, with Founder in small print underneath Ben's name. "I'll send you copies of the papers when they come out," Ben said, for he would make his announcements in all the publications. He held out his hand for shaking this time, glad that they hadn't cut the meeting short after all.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2019, 06:47:33 AM »
Eddy extended his hand perfunctorily and gave Ben Samson's a firm shake, the vampire's business card in his left hand. "You're welcome, Mr. Samson." He gave the vampire a practiced, charming smile, the kind he had used to win his own elections. The meeting seemed to be reaching its natural conclusion and he was pleased to see that the little brat seemed like he might actually take his offer. An optimistic outcome indeed, though only time would tell. "And please do. I'm looking forward to reading those papers." It was hardly necessary to have the physical papers anymore when he could find out just about anything online, including the supernatural publications. Perhaps Samson didn't know that he was given access to those particular media outlets?

He circled out from behind his desk with the intention of walking the vampire out of his office as the opportunity politely arose. With a friendly hand on his shoulder as they walked closer to the door, Edgar took note of the texture and quality of the suit on the other. High quality, custom fitted. He should have expected as much. "Do let me know if there is anything that I or my offices can do to get you started off on the right foot." That same affable tone and winning smile.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2019, 09:44:14 AM »
Ben was completely charmed by that smile, starstruck by a political hero. He smiled back, a little bashfully, as he was thanked for the necklace and then shown the door.

"Thank you, I will," he promised, though he would make sure only to contact when it was necessary, not wanting the mayor to regret or retract his offer in the future.

He left town hall feeling really good about how the meeting had gone.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2019, 07:54:57 AM »
Edgar Figueroa maintained that same smile until the door closed behind the vampire, when his expression fell into something pensive and unamused. He blew out a sigh and looked down at his shoes, pacing a slow path in the floor between the windows that looked out over the city and the coat hook by the door. He paused occasionally to look down on the traffic and buildings outside absently, lost in thought and waiting.

After about fifteen minutes there was a knock at the door - Tiffany, the receptionist who had greeted Ben Samson and had stupidly given him a glass of water would be heading home now and did he need anything before she left. Eddy shook his head and watched her leave the office without much conversation. This time, when the door clicked shut, Mayor Edgar Figueroa removed his iPhone from his pocket and unlocked it, staring down at a screen full of useless apps for a long moment, debating.

He clicked the phone open and pressed the number 9 key and then hit the send button, lifting the phone to his face and throwing a weary glance over his shoulder. He watched as Tiffany walked through a nearby parking lot, unlocked her 2008 Toyota Corolla and stepped in. The line rang once and picked up with a familiar greeting. Eddy smiled, if only to get the sound into his voice and through the phone.

"You'll never guess who I just had a meeting with."