Author Topic: Great Expectations  (Read 10469 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Great Expectations
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2019, 06:35:44 PM »
Ben blinked. What the fuck?

"I'm your boss you dumb-ass," Ben said. "What the fuck is wrong with you? I would never have told my boss he was an asshole, even though that's what I thought of him." Ben sat up, moving his leg around on the couch so that he was kneeling on it now to glare at Vex. "How am I supposed to trust you with diplomats now? You'd insult them to their face?"
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2019, 06:44:23 PM »
Vex cringed back into the corner of the couch, his eyes wide as he waited for Ben to attack him physically as well as verbally. His hands came up in front of him, not that that would do him any good but it was instinct. "You asked! And you can just look into my brain and see what I think anyway, so why would I lie?!" he squawked, panic speeding his words up to a frantic level.

"I'm really sorry but I also said I just met you! I don't know you at all! Maybe you're usually a really nice guy and you're just having a shit night or something? You came in here and offered to take your clothes off, who does that?! It just threw me, okay? Take what I said with a grain of salt!! Why would my opinion matter to you anyway? I'm just a lowly mortal! You're a vampire! Why do you even care what I think?!" he blathered helplessly.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2019, 06:54:45 PM »
"Because when vampires come here to stay and want a donor, they just want your obedience, not your honesty. And I might've come in hot with the offer to get undressed like you already were, but our guests might walk in and demand you get on your knees and blow them five seconds in. Now, while you might be on the app with your preference for the bite, you do understand that Sweets don't normally get assigned rooms, right? You're not here for anything other than what Charon used you for. What the hell did you think you were signing up for?" Ben demanded.

It was a fucking cold day in hell when a whore could backchat to him.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2019, 07:06:34 PM »
Vex blinked, his mouth pulling down at the corners and his lips quivering as he did his best to fight off tears. He swallowed, the sound very loud in his ears. It was a whole lot of reality in one big check and he wasn't prepared for the onslaught or for the way it made him feel. Sure, he'd been aware that that was all possible but he'd had really nice experiences so far. His parents had been so proud.

Ben's image blurred as he nodded. "Okay. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said it, you're right. I just figured you'd know if I lied. I'm sorry. I'll lie next time. I'm an idiot. I'm really sorry, how can I make it up to you?" he appealed, knowing he was in real trouble now and unable to think clearly enough to get himself out of it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2019, 08:16:00 PM »
Ben was uncomfortable. Looking at the way he'd destroyed this kid was making him feel like a shit. He knew he'd come in here gunning for something, and Vex had given him the perfect ammunition to shoot him with. The apology and admission went a long way to keep Vex in service. The kid had been super close to being chucked out on his ass, and he would've done his best to keep Charon from scooping him up. No point punishing someone by firing them if they were only going to land something cushy somewhere else.

"You can make it up to me by remembering this is a job, not a holiday," he said, still biting with his words. Damn, his anger was still fuelling itself. He stood up off the couch and knew that this moment would travel through the ranks of the donors. He didn't know if he wanted a reputation for being a hard-ass or not. No, actually he didn't. "And keep this to yourself. I don't want to find out you're a gossip, too."

He moved to the door, not wanting to stay a second longer before he said anything else. The warning would hang in the air at his back. Right now he felt like being... like being...

Appreciated.
Worshipped.

His car keys were upstairs but he didn't want to drive. There were always a few cabs in the rank near the Luminary's doors. They would take him North.