Author Topic: Third Night  (Read 17302 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Third Night
« on: October 13, 2019, 11:57:38 PM »
The next night when Kerr and Ben woke, Cain wasn't in the apartment. Kerr went downstairs to his office to work on more event and campaign management and Ben remained upstairs to type up his notes about the previous night, where he'd gone walking through the Brazilian Quarter and learnt a bunch of stuff about it.

He took his laptop out to the lounge and sprawled on the lounge, his head pillowed on the sofa arm and the laptop on his chest. He was thinking more than typing but every now and then he'd make a dot point that was important. He'd written about thirty dot points when the elevator dinged and opened.

Ben half closed the lid of his laptop to see Cain walking in. "Hey," he called out a greeting, then pushed the screen back up and returned to his work.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Re: Third Night
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 12:26:59 AM »
Cain had been swimming. He hadn't meant to stay away past sundown but he'd got to talking to four of the donors while he was there. They'd invited him into the hot tub with them. Most of them were pretty nice but one guy named Yash had been a dick to his friend and to everyone around him. Cain had told him if he didn't pull his head in, he'd talk to Kerr about him staying in the program and that had shut him up. When he said that, Vex had asked did he know Kerr and Ben and he'd told them he was their pet.

A lot more questions had been asked but he hadn't told them anything much. They'd begged, too. He was returning home with the swagger of victory on his shoulders. It gave him the confidence to walk into the lounge to speak to Ben, even though he was still upset with him about last night. He didn't understand why he'd gone out to be with someone else when he was right here. Kerr hadn't seemed worried but Cain was. There was a distance between he and Ben that he didn't understand and his going out last night was just another strike against him.

"Hey," he responded as he entered the lounge, pausing to take in Ben's position on the couch. He was working so Cain didn't want to disturb him but he felt it was important that Ben knew he was there if he wanted him. He was wearing a pair of colourful boardshorts that reached his knees but Ben wouldn't see them because he had a striped blue and white beach towel wrapped around his waist, over the top of his shorts. His chest was bare, with a few droplets of water running over his pecs because he hadn't dried his hair properly. He brushed it out of his eyes as he walked forward to kneel beside the couch, near Ben's chest, facing him. He sat down on his heels, his hands flat on his thighs and looked at Ben.

"Do you want some company?" he asked hopefully, reaching out to rest a hand on Ben's stomach, his fingers sneaking under the hem of Ben's shirt so that he could have flesh on flesh contact.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2019, 12:36:07 AM »
Ben barely looked at Cain when he knelt down onto the floor beside him. He'd figured that he wouldn't make a move until Ben looked his way but he was wrong. With a sentence floating out of his head at the seeking touch, Ben frowned at the screen before glancing at Cain momentarily. His gaze wouldn't stay on him.

"Maybe later," he said. He didn't push Cain's hand away but he figured his words would be enough to stop the pet from progressing. He licked his lips and looked at the middle distance between Cain and the laptop, smelling the mixture of scents from the pool on Cain's skin, aware that his touch wasn't as hot as usual.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2019, 12:47:45 AM »
Cain saw the way Ben licked his lips and took it as encouragement but his words were the opposite. He frowned, the frustration of being constantly pushed aside bubbling inside him. Ben's body responded to him when he touched it but he never had any kind words or encouragement like Kerr did. He was complex in ways that Cain didn't understand but desperately wanted to.

The frustration bubbled over.

"When? When you finish your list?" he pressed, glancing at Ben's screen and seeing a lot of bullet points and strings of words behind them. He didn't want 'maybe' tonight. He wanted definite and waiting patiently had yielded no joy so far. It was time to try a new tactic. Though his words were stronger than usual, his touch remained light, whispering over Ben's firm abs, the heel of his hand twisting and pressing on his pubic bone in a gentle rhythm.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 12:55:08 AM »
Ben's gaze sharpened into focus and he turned it onto Cain, meeting his gaze, wondering if the other would drop his stare or look away.

"Your pupils aren't dilated, your heartbeat isn't racing, your breath isn't catching. You're not horny for me, so why are you starting something?" Ben asked, his laptop momentarily forgotten. He shifted slightly beneath Cain's touch, responding to it inadvertently.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 01:01:24 AM »
Cain momentarily pressed his lips together, seeing his mistake too late. He wasn't horny for Ben because Ben usually shut him down and he didn't want to let himself get worked up for nothing. But he couldn't say that. He watched Ben cautiously, debating whether he should cut his losses and leave or stay and talk back. Ben hadn't brought him here to talk back, he'd brought him here to obey. But obeying meant answering... which was talking back.

He was damned if he did, damned if he didn't. He took a breath, thinking quickly. "Because it's not about me. I'm here for you," he responded quietly, sliding his hand lower, maintaining his undulating rhythm. "Let me please you," he whispered and Ben would observe all of the symptoms he'd just listed start up as Cain's body responded to the idea of pleasing Ben.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 08:57:01 AM »
Ben shut his laptop and tucked it in between his side and the sofa before grabbing Cain's hand by the wrist. He lifted it a little, just enough to have Cain's hand no longer touching him and held it tightly, squeezing gradually and waiting for Cain to show pain in his face before he stopped applying pressure. Then, while holding it, Ben twisted on the couch so he could sit up, his feet on the floor, still holding Cain's wrist. He held his gaze too, whether or not Cain met it.

"Aren't you sore?" Ben challenged, his voice soft and even because his hold wasn't. "We both had you two nights ago and Kerr had you last night at least once. He's big enough to have left a lasting impression. Doesn't your body ache from that? Won't it hurt to jam some more cock in there?"

Or are you like me, Ben thought curiously but didn't say, that you like it with a bit of pain?

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »
Cain finally winced when the pressure on his wrist became too much but his expression smoothed out when Ben stopped increasing it. There was still a frown tugging the skin between his eyebrows but he tried to fight it. He wondered whether he should, though. Was Ben interested in seeing him in pain? If so, then he should show it, to give him what he wanted. It was easy enough to relent and allow the frown to come, for his lower eyelids to lift in a partial wince, advertising his pain.

His heartbeat got faster. He hoped Ben thought it was from the pain, not excitement.

Ben's words lifted Cain's gaze to his intense eyes. He was surprised by the nastiness in his tone but he was also thrilled that Ben was talking to him, holding him, looking at him. Bullying him. The Risk-goer in him knew it was still all that he deserved so he relished that, too. He'd spent a lot of years subjecting himself to the whims of vampires and being treated like shit had been a big part of that. This treatment felt right and it came from someone much more important than a random hookup at a club. He blinked as he looked at Ben's face, adoring him.

"Maybe it will," he said quietly, his eyes flicking with another wince as he tested the strength of the grip on his wrist - not to break free, but to feel the squeeze of Ben's reaction, to know he still cared enough to hold onto him. His hand relaxed and he licked his lips because he was looking at Ben's. "Maybe I like it that way. Maybe you should jam yours in me so we can find out." He said it with as much respect as possible but they both knew that it was a challenge.

Maybe he'd be punished. His dick was already fat in his shorts at the thought of it.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »
Ben's eyes narrowed as Cain tested his hold. When those words came he sneered and looked Cain over, seeing the result of his words. Leaning forward slowly, so that his face was close to Cain's, he whispered: "You're not enough to hold my interest. You're only good to fuck when I feel like it. You're not smart enough to make me want you."

He released his hold and stared at Cain, wondering what he would do. Talking to him this way had Ben licking his lips again and his gaze dropped to Cain's throat. But he couldn't drink from him because he'd taken a lot only a couple of nights ago and he had no idea if Kerr had drunk from him again. He doubted it but also doubted Cain would tell him.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
It was one thing for him to fear these things, to worry over them through the day when the house was quiet and he was alone with his darkest thoughts; it was entirely another thing to have them hissed in his face with such conviction that he had no choice to believe them true. He turned his face from Ben's, blinking rapidly as he looked away, down at the carpet. Away. He wanted to run away, to leave and never come back. What was the point staying if Ben despised him so much he believed he could never be enough?

'Enough' was a terrible word. On the one hand, it meant that he was sufficient and it pleased him that he could meet a vampire's needs. 'Enough' wasn't the best or unable to be lived without but it was the right thing, at the right time. He was enough to make Kerr happy. Being 'not good enough' was utter humiliation, the worst failing, the most dismal, inadequate thing available. It was undesirable. He was undesirable to Ben.

He'd feared it. It was in the cool way Ben looked through him most of the time, in the hesitant or flat-out brutal touches he received. He'd bitten his lip and then used him for his pleasure. Cain had told himsel that was an improvement, it was a good thing to be in Ben's sights, even for just a moment. In that moment, he'd been enough. But it hadn't lasted and now he knew why. He was released, feeling like his hand was shunted aside and it drew his gaze back to Ben. He licked his lips and looked at his throat but, for the first time, it didn't make Cain's pulse leap. It made him feel cheap and of little worth. The way he'd felt all those nights at Risk, when he wasn't good enough for anyone at all.

It made him angry. It made him sad. It made him feel like Ben had betrayed him. He'd brought him here, promising they could share their lives, that he'd allow Cain the chance to show what he was really worth and now he was being stopped before he could even begin. He was being judged not good enough, yet Ben hadn't even put in the effort to try him. He'd dismissed him without testing him. It was the greatest of insults and it made him reckless. What did he have to lose, if he'd never been given anything? Not even a chance.

"How would you know?" he challenged. "You've never even taken the time to try me. Instead, you go out and fuck someone else or you fight with Kerr or you lock yourself away with your work," he asserted quietly, quailing internally at being so blunt and bitter but also so angry that the words felt good. The bit about fighting with Kerr wasn't his place to argue against but it bothered him, the way they didn't have peace. It seemed to him that it was usually because Ben was in a mood and he put Kerr in one, too (but that was kind of good, too, because it got him more time with Kerr). Sometimes, it seemed no one was good enough for Ben. He lowered his gaze, feeling shaky and shivery. "Don't tell me I'm not good enough when you've never even tried," he finished on a whisper.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2019, 12:09:22 PM »
He expected Cain to back off and lick his wounds in his room but he stayed. He turned his face and stayed. Ben watched him, unable to summon his compassion for a groupie who begged to be used. He'd been harsh, yes, but if Cain thought himself such a good pet, he would've accepted 'maybe later'.

Except now that Cain was allowing his hurt to be seen, Ben was interested... so maybe Cain was smart enough to make himself wanted.

And then Ben watched Cain summon his rebellion. It was unexpected. Ben didn't remember him ever talking back. During his interview he'd implied he never did. Guess Cain didn't know himself so well after all. He'd always struck Ben as one-dimensional. One step better than a sex doll. He'd even called himself that, in the role of pet.

"What more to you is there than sex?" Ben asked after a moment. "What is there I haven't already discovered in one night?"

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »
Cain lowered his eyes and glared at Ben's legs, hating the question. It wasn't an easy one to answer for anyone and he was flummoxed by it. How could he define his worth in one neat sentence? How could he make Ben see him as a whole person in this tiny window of attention he was getting - and make it count enough to make him want to keep looking?

It was terrifying; he was terrified of fucking it up and losing his place here. He actually wanted this and he'd been afraid to want anything for a very long time, because he was always being disappointed. He never measured up to what vampires wanted from him and the thought that this moment would become just another one of those held him paralysed and unable to think coherently. He said the first thing that came to mind.

"Everything behind the mirror I've been," he answered sadly, unable to look up at Ben now because he felt too vulnerable. If Ben was too shortsighted to see that Cain was merely reflecting the treatment he got from his owners back at them in an effort to please them, it wasn't his fault. But he'd get the blame anyway. He wanted to ask Ben why he thought Kerr could spend a whole night with him and not just be fucking and not be bored but he didn't dare. Misery was creeping into his heart, pulling down the corners of his mouth.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2019, 03:44:16 PM »
Ben stared at Cain, at the misery on his face and the fact he wouldn't make eye contact.

The words intrigued Ben, though. Everything behind the mirror. He didn't quite understand but knew there was deeper meaning to it. Cain was not a great talker - his mouth was best used for other things. But he'd listened. When Ben had been grieving, he'd called up Cain and they'd got together and then Ben had blurted so much out to him... and he'd listened. That Cain and this Cain seemed oddly separate to Ben at this point, but he knew they were the same.

"There's something about you that I want to hurt."

Ben couldn't understand it either. Kerr had given him permission to explore his darkness, and Cain was somehow the perfect person to bring it out on, but there was no clarity behind it. Why did he want to torment Cain so much?

Because Kerr likes him.

Fuck, surely not?

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 05:33:49 PM »
Cain had his own theories about why Ben wanted to hurt him but there was no way he was going to discuss the whys or the wherefors. It didn't change the fact that Ben had just admitted his main focus for his relationship with Cain was to hurt him. To give him pain. Cain hoped it would change - he didn't enjoy being hurt, even if he was pretty good at letting it happen - but any relationship was better than none, for now.

He lifted his gaze, his expression still wounded and now a little worried as well. "I'm here to be what both of you need," he answered quietly. If hurting him was what Ben needed then he could accommodate that. It would help Ben deal with his own pain. Besides, he'd have Kerr's kindness to balance out Ben's... he frowned. "Hurt me physically? Or emotionally?" he asked hesitantly. Abuse was abuse but one was definitely easier to cope with than the other.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 05:45:09 PM »
Ben frowned, looking down his nose at Cain and assessing his own feelings on the matter.

"I'm not going to hit you," Ben said with a frown - but he had bitten Cain's lip while they were kissing, so obviously physical pain was still on the table. "I'm just going to tell you the truth. It's supposed to hurt, right?"

He was surprising himself with his behaviour, frankly, but it also felt like a relief. Cain had come here looking for attention and wouldn't take no for an answer, so if he was willing to take whatever was on offer then so be it.