Author Topic: Tarnish  (Read 24979 times)

Offline Malkavian Riddler

• Novelist
  • Minstrel Seeking Minstrel
    • View Profile
Tarnish
« on: October 31, 2019, 10:26:23 PM »
Cain's heart leapt into his throat with a little squeak of exclamation as a shadow loomed at him through the darkness. He was sitting sideways on the lounge so that he had (fortunately?) a view towards the bedrooms but he hadn't been looking in that direction. He'd been reading the book in his lap, picking at his toenails beneath its pages and thinking about the story (and what he was going to get for dinner). He'd come back from an afternoon workout and swim about half an hour before, showered and was sitting on the lounge in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.

Then he'd heard a soft noise and looked up at a freaky, fast-moving, unidentifiable shadow.

Once it moved into the corona of light over his head, he saw it was Kerr and Cain let out a loud sigh of relief. "Ohmygod, Kerr, you scared the fuck out of me!" he cried, flopping against the back of the couch, his hand upon his heart. He frowned. "Wait. How are you even up? The sun's not down yet!" he queried in confusion. The shutters over all the windows hadn't rolled up and even though this was only his fourth night in the penthouse, Cain had already accepted that the shutters were the surest way to know when it was safe for vampires to get up.
Digital: I drink from the poison chalice
Lan Bao: I reap the harvest of my people
Cain: I am the instrument that vampires play
Shan: I take what is mine and what is yours

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Tarnish
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 10:37:34 PM »
Kerr chuckled, having forgotten to announce himself as he moved through darkness Cain's eyes couldn't penetrate. He'd been careless closing his bedroom door, otherwise he'd have been silent. Clearly, he was too excited about the night that he'd planned to be moving cautiously.

"The sun's mostly down but I can be awake, even when it's not, it's just more taxing. I was in the shower not long after you. I'm going to see Ichabod. We need to talk about everything and I think it'll take a while so I wanted an early start. Ben's still sleeping but he knows," Kerr explained, his words tumbling out rapidly, advertising his eagerness.

As he talked, Kerr wended his way around the furniture and over to Cain. He leant an arm on the back of the couch and hovered over the mortal. "I just came to say goodbye to you," he prompted, smiling as Cain obediently tipped his face up to receive his tender kiss. Kerr brushed his warm face with his other hand, his car keys already tucked into his palm, and then straightened.

He'd dressed in a pair of nice jeans, black boots, a grey t-shirt and a black blazer. As he pulled away, he was aware that the scent he'd applied had wafted over Cain, though it wasn't so strong it would skunk him. "I'm not sure when I'll be home. Maybe not until tomorrow night, if all goes well. Have a good night," he grinned and was gone faster than Cain could blink.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 10:45:45 PM »
Cain frowned and his heart sank when he was told Kerr was going - maybe for the night and tomorrow, too?! - but he smiled and didn't say anything about it. He wanted to. Words to express his consternation rose, clogging his chest, unable to escape before the lift doors closed and took Kerr away from him.

Don't leave me alone with him
You don't know what he's like
He's mean when you're not here
I'm not enough for him
Only for you
Please don't go

He frowned worriedly at the darkness that cloaked the other end of the apartment, expecting Ben to materialise any second to torment him. It didn't happen, of course, and he eventually settled back to reading his book, telling himself it would be fine. Last night had ended alright. He'd had a nice time fucking Ben, in the end, and then he'd gone out to do something, leaving Cain with Kerr. Ben had mostly hung out with Kerr when he'd come back, talking and doing whatever, which had left Cain free to entertain himself. Free of harrassment.

It had been fine. Tonight would be, too.

Still, Cain jumped when the shutters rolled up and he couldn't concentrate on his book for glancing towards the bedrooms, waiting for Ben to appear.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 11:06:44 PM »
As soon as Ben opened his eyes and saw there was no Kerr and it felt like he was already some distance away, Ben remembered. Kerr had gone to Ichabod. To reconnect with him. To fuck him, really. Must share the news of their open relationship, he'd said. Keep Ichabod in the loop, otherwise it was just rude. And to tell him about Cain. And Ichabod would get upset and Kerr would apologise with cuddles, kisses and cock.

Ben had been fine about it last night, of course. It was just talking, then. Kerr had said he was thinking of going early, to catch Ichabod before he left the Capital. Thinking, he said, when what he really meant was 'going to leave before Ben woke up'. What was that promise about waking up together? Had it been a promise? There were no alarms going on in his head. No emotional surprises for him to unpack. He'd looked over at Cain, though. Then, while he and Kerr had retired to their room and Ben was going to 'check his schedule', he'd ended up clearing the two things he had on there instead. He didn't think about why he did it, he just did.

So Kerr had Ichabod tonight and it was unlikely he'd be back early, if at all. And Ben could hear Cain was still in the apartment. He could hear his heartbeat, his breathing. Could hear the soft shift of material as clothes rubbed against other fabric.

Ben crawled out of bed and moved, naked, to the doorway. Listening, he moved the few steps to the bedroom corridor. He could see Cain from here but he knew the human wouldn't be able to see him. Still, he watched as Cain glanced his way twice, as though he could feel Ben's stare.

"Cain," he whispered. It was too soft for the pet to hear. "Cain," he said, in a normal speaking voice, though it was low so it came out sounding growly.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 11:19:18 PM »
It was a feeling, more than anything. A shiver travelled down Cain's spine and it brought a frown to his forehead. He squinted but it didn't help at all; even if the rollers were up, the apartment was designed so that the sleeping quarters received as little light as possible (in case the shutters failed and daylight streamed in accidentally, Cain supposed). It was a clever design but it made him jumpy because he couldn't see a fucking thing down there and he wasn't going to be so rude as to turn on lights.

"Ben?" he called, his voice wavering. If Ben was awake, surely he'd say something... wouldn't he? Cain's heart was hammering with fear and he wasn't sure exactly why but he had the strongest instinct to get up and move back. He did it, abandoning his book on the couch and standing beside it on the balls of his bare feet, ready to run. A noise floated out to him but he wasn't sure what it was. Was it even a noise or was it just the blood thudding through his ears at a million miles an hour? What the fuck was going on?

He heard his name spoken - by Ben he thought, though it sounded animalistic - and he relaxed. A little. "Ben," he sighed, giving a nervous titter, "you scared me." The difference between the way he'd spoken to Kerr a short while before and the way he spoke to Ben now was marked. He didn't run away but he also wasn't compelled to move forward towards Ben, either. Not when he was this scared and Ben sounded like that.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 08:36:48 AM »
He could see Cain's fear in his wild eyes and tensed muscles, in the way he looked poised to run. He could hear it in his ragged breathing and fast pumping heart. He could smell it, charging the air through the mortal's pores, sweat and adrenalin. His blood would taste sweet because of it. Ben licked his lips thinking about it, aware that he was turned on to the highest degree because of Cain's reaction. It made him feel

like Lazarus?

powerful. He didn't fully understand why elder vampires liked to pick on the younger because there was no physical response like rushing blood or pungent fear - or maybe there was, in the latter - mental ripples that only vampires of a certain age could detect.

He attempted to compel Cain to come. It would be a test of his abilities, Ben knew. Cain was unwilling but he was mortal and now Ben was over a decade old. Could he manage it? Could he make Cain walk into the darkness?

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »
Cain’s unease increased exponentially when his statement was met with silence. It wasn’t possible for his heart to go any faster but now there were weird, electric-like tingles running up and down his arms and his legs felt oddly heavy. He clenched his fists.

This is ridiculous. He’s doing this to you on purpose.
He’s testing you, trying to find out how much you’ll put up with.
How much of a man you are.
Don’t be a fucking bitch. Show him you’re not afraid of him!
But I am-
For fuck’s sake, what’s he going to do to you? Hurt your fucking feelings?
Dick.
Baby.
Fucking just GO!

Against his better judgment, Cain started walking towards where Ben’s voice had come from. Mostly just to prove to himself he was brave enough to do it, though a huge part of his brain was yabbering that this was a very bad idea. What would Ben do, though? He wouldn’t really hurt him, not with Kerr

Kerr’s gone, you’re alone

around. Nothing really bad would happen - just more humiliation. Of course, he didn’t deserve that at all and, in the mood he was in, he’d tell Ben so. He was feeling sick with hunger and anxiety, his belly gurgling sharply as he slid one foot slowly in front of the other, like the most reluctant bride ever. Step. Step. It felt like he was walking to his doom.

“W-why aren’t you s-saying anything? Are you okay?” he queried tremulously.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 11:18:28 AM »
Ben could see very clearly but wasn't sure if Cain's approach would allow him to see Ben. The fact he was naked made Ben feel somewhat vulnerable, like he would lose the effect somehow if Cain could see his body and his full erection, fat and heavy. His hand stole down to it, just to hold it up against his stomach as he took a few soft steps backward.

He didn't want to say anything and put more effort and focus into making Cain enter the darkened hall. There was no way the mortal would be able to see once he was in here. Once he was in the darkness, that's when Ben would play with him.

His mouth watered at the idea of it. He swallowed and recentred his focus on making Cain walk closer. He could feel how difficult it was to keep that single piece of thought in his brain - especially now that Cain was scared out of his mind. Ben isolated the compulsion to keep walking and pushed it as hard as he could, implanting the need to walk over here, not so much focussing on Cain's opinion on it. That would be much too hard.

The work was making him thirsty.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 12:12:29 PM »
When he didn't get a response, Cain began to think very seriously about stopping, questioning what the fuck he was doing. He was a good pet, though, and he had to prove that to Ben. Obedience was part of it and he'd definitely heard his name called. From the softness of it, he'd concluded that Ben was in bed.

Calling out his name, summoning him. Into his and Kerr's bed.

It was weird but it was sort of exciting, too. The old saying about the cat being away and the mouse playing could be true but he wasn't sure how to feel about it. He didn't get why being with Kerr on his own felt right, yet being with Ben was somehow dirty and wrong. It was all Ben's attitude, he supposed.

He'd passed the dining area and reached the part where the corridor really began now. His heart was still thumping and the darkness ahead of him wasn't relieved by the lights of the city behind him, as he'd hoped. There was a switch nearby, though. Ben mightn't like it, but he'd feel better about travelling down the hallway in the light. Besides, Ben was still in bed, the light shouldn't bother him that much.

Cain veered towards the wall switch, intending to turn on one of the overhead lights to help him see.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 12:56:06 PM »
No, Cain couldn't see a thing. It was in the way his wide eyes were almost totally dilated, trying to absorb any light. All of the light was behind him, nothing in front. He was blind. Ben crept forward again, making no sound, wanting to be close enough for the mortal to brush against him. He didn't have to breathe, his body wouldn't betray him with sounds of life - heartbeats or gurgles. Only his mouth as he salivated, only the whisper of his hand upon his cock as he gently caressed fingertips along its base.

He moved forward again, seeing in Cain's mind that he wanted light, noticing that Cain was angling to the light switch. It felt and looked like the human was moving underwater. Ben was the shark, ready to bite. He moved forward, reaching close to the light switch just as Cain's fingertips got there, ready to turn it off an instant after it came on. He was grinning and he was right in front of Cain, his pet's breath had been held but was now being released just before the light switch flicked upward...

The light was on just long enough for Cain's eyes to focus on Ben, for his pupils to shrink rapidly at the bright light. It was like a flare going up in Ben's vision - a starburst - and then it was gone again because Ben flicked the light off, grabbing Cain's wrist because he hadn't reacted fast enough to pull away, and Ben tugged and pulled downward while moving away from where Cain was about to fall onto the carpeted floor - falling into darkness. He added a push to Cain's back for good measure because it looked like he was about to stumble in an attempt to keep his feet.

Cain landed mostly face down on the carpet but he turned instinctively, like prey trying to find out where its attacker was. Ben straddled him and crouched down, grabbing his wrists and forcing them either side of his head. Crotch to crotch now, Ben was spurred by the way Cain had cried out. His fear was enormous, like a thing alive all on its own, and Ben intended to feed it. Cain's racing heart was erotic.

He leant over to bite Cain's neck, not bothering to look for a vein, anywhere close enough would do because he wasn't going to drink. He bit and felt Cain's reaction in the flinch of his body - there was a moment where nothing happened, maybe Cain thought Ben would drink now - and then he pulled back, all the way back, removing his fangs but not healing the wounds, releasing Cain's wrists, getting up off him and stepping back, close to the wall.

Watching.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 07:04:26 PM »
Cain hated the noises he was making but he couldn't stop them. He was terrified and in pain. His world had shrunk down to strobing flashes of blinding light, a leering vampire and shocking tumbles through darkness so thick he hadn't been able to brace himself properly. He'd jarred his shoulder, bumped his knees, scraped his hands. He'd tumbled and flipped, been pinned and bitten.

Pain and fear were choking him, scrambling the sounds he was making into high-pitched whimpers and whines that he. Just. Couldn't. Stop. They pleased Ben, he knew, and he hated the vampire for it, in that moment. He couldn't think straight, he was acting on instinct, clutching at his neck and moaning low in his throat, trying to work up the courage to protest but uncertain what to say.

Why are you doing this?!
Because he fucking wanted to.
What have I done to deserve this?!
Nothing. You're just fun to torment.
Let me go!!
Don't be such a fucking baby.

Talking was futile - as was trying to figure out where Ben was. He'd retreated into the darkness but Cain imagined he could feel him close by. Grinning at his panic. Smelling his sweat. Tasting his fear. The hand that wasn't clutching his throat

Am I bleeding? It doesn't feel too wet. Why did he bite me and not drink? Just for the pain?? Fucking asshole!

swiped wildly around himself, imagining another attack coming at him, probably from the other side. Breath caught in his throat with every swing of his arm, his fist punching nothing but air both a relief and more terrifying because he still hadn't found Ben.

He lurched upward, intending on gaining his feet and pressing his back to the wall on his side of the corridor, to slide with his back along it and into his room. No lock would keep Ben out but the thought of going into his own space made him feel better. This weird nightmare in the corridor had to end; he was panting, unable to catch his breath through the tightness in his chest and was beginning to wonder if he was about to suffer a heartattack. After he'd eaten so well his whole life, in an effort to keep himself in prime condition for vampires, too.

What a fucking moron. He should've been eating whatever the fuck he wanted and done something meaningful with his life. Hopefully it wasn't too late. "Fuck this," he muttered beneath his breath as he lunged for the wall.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2019, 08:47:22 PM »
He reached out mentally for Cain, trying to calm him, having no chance because the panic was too great. He stepped around a swing, keeping himself mostly out of range but his vampiric senses were at their height and Cain was moving so slowly. It wasn't slow for humans, Ben knew this, knew that Cain's reactions were quick... but Ben could see them all, hear the swish of air, step aside lithely. Was he tapping into his celerity? Was that what this was? Was that why Cain was so slow?

Questioning it lost his moment and Ben mourned it. He could still see in the dark and both Cain's room and his and Kerr's room had their lights off. Cain had been turned around and now he was pressed against the wall that was Ben's bedroom, creeping along it, possibly looking for his own room if he was going in that direction. Ben moved in again.

"Cain," he half-whispered from Cain's left, his voice not growly this time but soft and warm. Loving. He moved quickly to Cain's right when the mortal turned his head rapidly that way. Ben didn't miss the wince of pain because of his bitten neck muscles. "Cain," he said again, wondering if the mortal would strike out at him. He moved out of reach, just in case, but he was ready to move back and press himself against Cain's muscled body. The blood was seeping out of the holes and were gathering at the collar of his shirt. Ben wanted to suck and lick at it.

And when he was there, rapidly and pressing forcefully, his slight body pushing Cain's larger, muscled one against the wall, he wondered if Cain would fight him.

He mentally reached out for his mind again, to see if Cain's fear had mostly turned into anger or not, and if Cain was ready for the game to change.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2019, 09:06:38 PM »
Cain froze when his name was spoken sweetly, looking in that direction. When his name came from his other side almost immediately, Cain's disappointment in himself materialised in a spurt of fury that did, indeed have him striking out with his fists and his voice.

"Fuck you!" he cried, frustrated because his fists connected with nothing but air. Not only was this terrifying, it was confusing as hell, not being able to predict what would come next. He gasped in a screech when Ben pressed up against him, pinning him to the wall.

Stifling a sob that became a whimper fuelled by repulsion, Cain lifted himself up onto his tippy toes, flattening himself backwards in a futile effort to escape. His head was turned and his body was completely rigid though it did no good, Ben was all over him.

"Get... off... me... fuck you," he snarled, too scared to think or act rationally anymore. He just wanted Ben to get away and let him go because he was reaching the end of any tether he might ever have had.

He swung fists, slaps and bucked with his body, doing his absolute best to dislodge the vampire and hopefully shove him through the wall opposite. A wild keening noise was echoing in his throat and he wasn't sure if he was going to scream or cry. Probably both.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 09:12:11 PM »
With his concentration firmly on Cain's mind, he didn't see the punch coming. Ben was blindsided by the hit to his jaw - a decent sock to it - and it interrupted his mindset as well as got him off Cain. It was also enough for him to start questioning what the fuck he thought he was doing.

He looked back to see where Cain was, what he was going to do next.

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2019, 09:20:31 PM »
Since he was on his feet, Cain ran blindly, his hand skimming the wall. He was confused as to why he couldn't feel the doorway to the spare room beside his. And why it was so far... and then he realised where he was. A wave of helplessness and frustration washed over him, emotion clogging his throat and making it hard to swallow. He was closer to Ben and Kerr's room, on their side of the hall. That wasn't a sanctuary. It was Ben's lair.

He sprinted for the lift instead, doubting he'd make it but wanting to be anywhere but in this apartment right now (he wasn't sure his card was in his shorts pocket but he also didn't stop to find out). Now, his hands were held out in front of him as he ran into open space, hoping he could accurately navigate the darkness and so he wouldn't faceplant into the elevator doors.