Author Topic: Opposition Research  (Read 13422 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Opposition Research
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »
Ben saw the offering for what it was; access to Jake's supporters. He wouldn't have believed he'd get a chance to talk to them, that he would have a chance to present his case. For a moment Ben could only stare while his mind turned, shock apparent in his eyes rather than on the rest of his face. His lips parted just enough for him to lick them and his head turned toward Kerr but it never made the full way there. Instead, he looked at the distant ground between Tyler and Kerr before swinging his gaze back to Tyler.

"Of course I am," he said, hoping that the silence between the offer and his acceptance wouldn't be read as hostile when it had only been a gathering of focus. "I would love that opportunity, thank you. If you could promise me...  Lisa-Joe won't be there," he said, the woman's name feeling toxic in his mouth even before he spoke it, "I'd welcome meeting anyone from your clan to become a potential Advisor, but I wouldn't feel safe with her in the room."

He would pick having Jake there over her, easily.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 08:19:13 AM »
Tyler felt relief at Ben's acceptance. They'd feared Ben wouldn't take the opportunity being presented. It wouldn't come from any other source. The only other Anarch leader besides Jake and Tyler was Lisa-Joe, and she'd already made it clear to Tyler what she thought of Ben.

He's a total sociopath, Lisa-Joe had insulted as she wiped down some glasses. Classic pretty boy type with a case of the me, me, me's.

Tyler didn't share the opinion, and even Jake in all his anti Ben rants had never gone as far as Lisa-Joe. Jake certainly thought Ben was a prick, but he respected him in a strange way. Ben was someone who started with nothing, and even if he lost the election he would still be an incredibly influential vampire in the city. He'd cornered the private markets not already claimed, and had placed himself at the center of supernatural life. The academy, the app, the donor program, and the campaign had all made anyone who was anyone know the name Ben Samson.

"You ain't the first person I've met who's held that opinion," Tyler replied, in reference to Lisa-Joe. They hid their satisfaction. Lisa-Joe could be a scary bitch, and it was one of several reasons Tyler loved her. She was a true Brujah, unapologetic, strong, and always rebelling against something. She also had a nasty right hook. "I'll make sure she's busy."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »
"Thank you," Ben said, the warmth apparent in his voice. True gratitude. Lisa-Joe was unstable. It didn't matter what her personality type was, it was the instability, the unpredictability of her violent nature that he feared and loathed. To give a woman like that power was like giving someone like Digital access to bombs. No sane person would do it.

But Jake had. It was one of the greatest flaws of his leadership - the people he chose to surround himself with. It was what had made Ben look at Damien in a new, unpleasant way. He didn't know his employee all that well, but he seemed a calm type. Being involved with Jake was suspicious. Fucking around with lab experimentation on vampire blood was intensely suspicious. At least with Jake and Lazarus, you could see them coming.

He pushed Jake and Damien and Lisa-Joe out of his mind to answer the question Tyler had posed to him, twice. He didn't have a prepared speech, but he could speak from the heart about how he felt. Surprisingly, he always came across better when he spoke candidly than when he had prepared notes.

"Just so you know, I haven't talked about sub-groups within species for a reason. I recognise for the vampires that there will be majority groups such as the Anarchs, and then there's the Ancient Consort that will probably ignore me like they ignore Jake, and they're all going to want a specific something... but I can't address it into the general campaign because representation of every species is my banner. Delving into political groups within those species will just muddy my message, but rest assured that I understand and respect their influence. Your influence."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2019, 03:52:17 AM »
Tyler appreciated Ben's explanation of his strategy regarding sub-groups. They thought of pointing out that the clans didn't really see themselves as the same as catiff, but figured that was some of their own internal prejudice. Perhaps it was time to put old feuds aside and be one species. Maybe Ben was on to something. Jake's idea was that people didn't define by species but by faction and beliefs. It was also an interesting way to look at the groups in the city.

"I thank you for explaining," Tyler replied, nodding to make sure Ben knew the sincerity of their words. "I can say generally, we don't want anything more than to be treated like equals, given safety and respect, and the ability to have a small section of the city to congregate, a turf within your domain."

Tyler realized halfway through their answer that the Anarchs did actually want stuff. Asking for turf was actually a sizable demand. He smiled sheepishly, but decided not to correct his statement. "Well, you'll hear more when you meet people. I know you'll do great. I got one final favor to ask, and I hate to say it, but it's about Jake."
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
Ben was also aware that asking for 'turf' was a massive request, but there were already ideas forming in his mind for how to meet that... and then Tyler requested another favour to ask, mentioned Jake and then kept quiet.

Ben waited for a moment before he realised the other vampire needed a prompt.

"I'm listening," he said, careful to choose such words because he wanted to know that he would at least do that much for Tyler's request, and even try to consider it if it wasn't too off-the-wall.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2019, 06:00:09 PM »
Tyler grew more serious now, some of his laid back and casual nature being replaced by something aged, and weary. They were nervous because they feared overstepping. Interference, or the assumption of a relationship was not something Tyler wanted Ben to connect with them, and yet there was something that needed to be said. It was a hard decision to speak on it, but the traveler hoped it was the right one.

"Since I've been in town, I've heard about your feud with Jake." They let that sit for a second, but continued before it could be denied or confirmed. "Let the past die," Tyler advised, sending out a tendril of mental connection for Ben to take. Kerr was invited too, but not as warmly, and it seemed more out of politeness than desire to include him. In Tyler's experience, sires often wanted to be included in the mental communications of their childer. Misbehavior could occur otherwise.

If Ben accepted the connection, his mind would see a brief series of images, short bursts of memory meant to convey a relationship quickly. The first was of a handsome knight, in shinning armor who held the banner of King Charles the 7th of France. The knight extended his hand, and Tyler took it in their own. Ben would see unaltered flesh, no tattoos, and would fell the pulse of Tyler's long gone humanity. The feelings were relief, gratitude, infatuation, but mostly, anger. The anger was deep and bitter, well formed and chewed on. It was a lot of burden for one so young.

The next image was that of a monster. A tall, blonde, dark fey like creature bore down and hunted a hungry fledgling for sport. In reality, he was an ancient vampire, and Tyler was nothing more than a fledgling. They knew he was playing them, cutting them off when convenient, popping up to scare them every so often. The dread from his aura was terrifying, and all Tyler could think or feel in this moment was survive, survive, survive.

The next image was a mighty castle, the throne room in fact. The monster from before had been beaten to the point of death, even for a ancient Kindred. Hardenstadt looked on in fear as two Brujah pulled him to his feet, and tossed him upon the throne. His mind was weakened from loss of blood, and so he was no longer a threat. Tyler approached, and Ben would see their full image for the first time, the other moments vaguely glossing over their appearance. The traveler crossed to the throne, and whispered into Hardenstadt's ear.

The Ventrue don't deserve your power. But I do. Tyler moved their lips to the Ventrue's neck, and it was then that the ancient one knew how he'd face demise. In a moment of pure rage, they bit down on their hunter's flesh, their compatriots cheering as they consumed the essence of their mortal enemy. The Anarchs had lost the war, but Tyler would ensure that their Camarilla oppressors would know the beast they have created, and they would do it by taking the Camarilla's first son. It was personal, political, and terrible. As Tyler consumed the last of his blood, the vampire's body crumbled into dust. Tyler felt power like never before, but the other vampires in the room backed away slowly. For their vengeance, and their power, they'd blackened their own soul. A stain, dark as night was clear to all the Kindred around them, and in that moment, something good about Tyler died. It faded away, leaving them the worse for it. Their power would give them no relief from their guilt and regret.

The images ended. "Jake will never stop competing with you for power. If he loses, he'll find someway for you to continue this rivalry. It's just in his nature. But you can be the bigger person, and end it now. Two vampires vying for power and control will always compete for dominance, unless one of them stops it."
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2019, 10:06:03 PM »
Ben watched the images and recoiled from the last, looking at Tyler in new light. His opinion changed in an instant but his respectful nature did not. No longer was he intrigued and adoring. He looked at Tyler now as he'd looked at Themba. Even at Charon, when he'd learnt more about the Ancient. They'd all come from darker times and Ben had the option of civilisation... but even though he was a modern vampire, he wasn't so naive as to confuse himself as a modern creature. His bloodline might not be from an ancient clan, but it was old just the same.

Asking him to let the feud go was something that was in his ability, but Ben understood that feuds were not one-sided. If he stopped warring with Jake there was no guarantee that Jake would stop warring with him. Tyler had even said as much.

It's just in his nature.

Ben's confusion drove his response.

"You tell me to end the rivalry but you also declare Jake won't stop if I win this campaign. It sounds like my only option is to drop out of the running but you've also offered me a chance to speak with your people and potentially win their votes. Help me to understand what it is you want because it's unclear."

There was no hostility in his request but a frankness, a desire to know what Tyler believed was the right option. Ben had no time for guidance in the guise of careful words and riddles. He needed to make informed decisions with all of the options laid out for him.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2019, 04:02:19 AM »
Tyler hoped their point would've been more clear, but that was the problem with storytelling to teach, sometimes the point get's lost. They locked eyes with Ben, forming an apologetic smile.

"I don't want you to drop out," they began. "Let me assure you of that first. I'm hoping you will win."

Now that was out of the way, Tyler explained what they'd meant about Jake, and how Ben could settle it. "My point is, make peace with him, if you can. He won't start the process. That's his pride, and as long as he thinks you want this to keep going, he'll keep it going; but if you offer him peace, offer him an olive branch, I think he will take it. His heart is conflicted and part of him wants an end to conflict, but he's stubborn and proud. That's why it has to be you. Break the cycle that has consumed our kind for as long as we've existed. If the city can see you and Jake make peace, then I feel the rest of the bubbling cauldrons of conflict in this metropolis will calm down. You and Jake making peace, means the whole city might find some, and I believe you're the one who will make it happen."

Ben and Jake both represented the new age of vampires. They were the leaders of tomorrow, of this city and the rest of the world. What kind of start would this generation have in power? Would Jake and Ben still be fighting five hundred years from now? More likely, one of them would be dead by then. Tyler hoped Ben would usher in a new era, and that the violent and destructive part of Kindred history would start to close when he was elected. It all hinged on his ability to make peace with Jake, and heal this city from the top down.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »
Ben couldn't contain his surprise at being told outright Taylor hoped he would win. It was subtle, but a perceptive vampire would see how his eyes widened slightly, how his muscles tensed here and there such as in his jaw but not in his neck or shoulders, but how his spine grew a little more rigid so he'd brought himself up a miniscule taller. Ben felt the surprise in his body and knew they wouldn't be missed so he didn't bother trying to cover it up.

The rest of it wasn't a surprise but a relief. He was hoping that was all Tyler meant, though in saying that it was still a big ask. He thought Tyler was putting a lot of stock in him, that he would be able to convince Jake that his request for peace would even be real. He could imagine how that would go, being accused of faking, spying, trying to catch Jake off-guard... and other melodramatic outcomes that he was sure the other vampire had up his sleeve. It was hard to believe that Jake had so many centuries on him because he behaved like the younger. Maybe it had to do with being turned at sixteen. Sawyl had been turned at nine or eleven or somewhere in his adolescence, and it had stunted his emotional intelligence and social development. Maybe at sixteen Jake had been too young as well.

"If I'm the poster boy for uniting the species, it makes sense to start in my own backyard," Ben said in the silence that followed Tyler's request. "I only hope he doesn't resent me for making the first move. And I'll do my best not to hold that over him."

It was a concession, really, that he taunted Jake just as much as Jake spat vitriol at him. Ben considered himself better at it, but was it really something to be proud of? His snark? Congratulations, you're best at being an asshole! Yeah, maybe not.

"Thank you for the chat, Tyler. Your words carry weight."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2020, 04:01:51 AM »
Tyler smiled with appreciation. Ben had heard the point, and now it was up to him. Tyler was happy that Ben had listened. So many young vampires thought they had all the answers. Then again, so did the old ones. Tyler had learned all of them were wrong. Nobody had the answers to any more than maybe one or two of life's big questions. The rest was all guess work and listening.

"I thank you for your time," they said in much the same tone as Ben. "I should be getting on though. I got a show to play at the Rabbit."

They picked up their guitar and turned first to Kerr. "Got a good one here. I know you'll keep 'em safe." A hand was extended for a shake goodbye.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2020, 11:29:57 PM »
Kerr frowned and blinked at Tyler, giving him a tight smile as he nodded and shook their hand. The words gave him pause; they sounded like a vague threat to Ben. What did he need to keep Ben safe from? When and why? It seemed logical to connect the words to Ben's impending visit with the Anarchs or to Jake but... perhaps it was also nothing. He was possibly reading too much into it but the words left Kerr unsettled anyway.

~*~

Harm had lost interest in lurking and spying as Ben and Kerr fell into extended conversation with the musician. His thoughts had turned inward, rotating obsessively around Trick and the events that had led up to the water nymph walking out on him. He was still tucked away in shadow but had found the back of a van to lean on. His gaze had fallen to the ground not far from his feet, seeing the lovely face of a certain blue-eyed water nymph rather than the grass he appeared to be looking at.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2020, 02:49:04 AM »
Tyler didn't know what to make of Kerr, but considered that as long as Ben heeded their words it didn't really matter in the long run. If Tyler picked up on Kerr's discomfort, they certainly didn't show it, an enthusiastic smile greeting Kerr's tight one. They would've laughed at the idea their words could be considered a threat. Hadn't Kerr seen Tyler was here to support Ben and sell out Jake? They turned once more to Ben, offering the same hand.

"See ya soon future district leader," they said in goodbye, waiting for Ben's hand, and any parting words he might have, before leaving the tent. They started walking towards the exit, taking the back roads instead of the main entrance. Tyler thought their night of official work was over, but they soon found themselves being drawn into a fresh adventure.

Tyler's story continues in Synthesized Angel
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 11:45:17 AM »
With Tyler leaving them, Ben gave Kerr a perplexed look and smile. "They're powerful and... I didn't think they would ever be in my corner," he said. If he lost the Chinatown votes to Jake but gained the Anarch votes from him, it would put them on even ground. If Ben could have one of those voting groups, it would be a boon and he might actually win.

He took Kerr's hand and squeezed it before checking that Harm was still loitering in the shadows. With a sly grin he faced Kerr again.

"I want you to meet someone. That nurse I met up with, Harm, he's here," Ben said, indicating with a gesture of his head where to look. Kerr knew the story for Ben had gushed it all to him, about the role he'd played in Harm's first time experience and how it had Ben had felt truly 'vampiric' when he'd been with him. It had been a fantasy actualised.

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
“That was all rather... unexpected,” Kerr agreed with Ben, still pondering Tyler’s words but also beginning to appreciate the magnitude of Tyler’s offer, which Ben had grasped immediately. His thoughtful expression shifted into a more relaxed smile as Ben took his hand and he anticipated they’d continue their exploration of the carnival together.

Instead, he was reminded of Ben’s tryst after his Brazilian Quarter exploration. It piqued Kerr’s interest, not just because Ben had gushed about the interlude but because he’d seen the way Harm had responded to the bite and it’d made him salivate. Experiencing it from Ben’s memory had been arousing; he was definitely interested in meeting the nurse.

Kerr waited a moment before he followed Ben’s head tilt, moving his eyes to subtly check out the mortal lurking nearby. He quickly realised subtlety wasn’t necessary because the boy was lost in his own thoughts. Kerr breathed a laugh, wondering why he was tucked in the shadows like that. Was he stalking Ben? How adorable.

“Ooh, yes please,” Kerr purred at Ben, his grin decidedly lecherous as Ben led their approach.

Harm didn’t notice them until their feet crossed the point of his middle distance staring and by then it was far too late to move. Startled, he straightened off the van and watched the pair of vampires walking towards him, all matching suited gorgeousness and swagger. He blushed, forcing his hands to his sides, fiddling with the zip ends on each side of his hoodie as he tried to think of a decent explanation as to why he was standing in this particular place, staring at this particular pair while fantasising about the water nymph who’d gone away.

“Oh! Uh, hi, Ben,” he smiled, knowing he sounded about as casual as a robot. It didn’t help that, as Ben got closer, Harm’s body tingled its response, remembering what it had felt like to be fucked by him and making his mouth water. It was fed by the arousal he’d felt for Trick, which just made things even more confusing. “I didn’t realise you, uh, saw me, but I-“ he broke off abruptly as he realised his mistake. He blushed harder. “Oh. You can see in the dark, can’t you?” he asked, deadpan, glancing at Kerr as he said something too quiet for him to understand and then threw his head back and laughed.

What Kerr said, that only Ben would hear, was, “Adorable.”

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2020, 02:20:33 PM »
Ben smiled broadly, liking that he made Harm nervous and that Kerr thought he was cute as well. When they got close, Ben stepped forward into Harm, his hand moving to his shoulder to hold him as he went in for a kiss on the cheek, but because Harm turned his head (for whatever reason, certainly not because he'd guessed what Ben was doing) Ben ended up planting a kiss on the corner of Harm's mouth.

He pulled back, giving Harm a wry grin and staying at his side when he looked at Kerr.

"This is my partner, Kerr," he introduced. "Kerr, this is Harm, the nurse I told you about who I shared an amazing experience with." Ben looked closely at Harm, his thumb rubbing Harm's shoulder gently because he knew there would likely be embarrassment about the night, but Ben was looking forward to a repeat and he wanted Harm to feel comfortable about contacting him again... and to know that he was desired.