Author Topic: A Minute of Your Time  (Read 10269 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
A Minute of Your Time
« on: November 06, 2019, 09:07:32 AM »
Reserved for The Cedar Witch

It had taken him a few days of debate to make up his mind. In the end, he had picked up the phone and made the appointment. When he hung up the phone, there was still a lingering question about whether it was a good decision after all.

The night of the appointment, Damien had dressed himself cleanly in a neat and trim black suit, coiffed his hair appropriately and received a kiss from his human before heading out in his Lexus for the west end of the city. He kept his apprehension out of his expression but there was that unspoken thing that remained understood between them, tainting the pleasantness of their time together. Undercurrents of guilt, frustration, and fear that neither of them approached.

As he drove across the city, he tried to keep himself focused on the simplicity of the questions he needed to ask and the information he needed to offer. There was a sort of weight that hung about his shoulders now that he was Jake's campaign manager and he needed to make sure that that fact didn't obscure his objectives.

Not long after the Lexus crossed the border of into the West, something about the atmosphere changed. At first Damien thought he was imagining it, that he was just... apprehensive about the meeting with District Leader Chtahzus'aak. He tried to keep his eyes on the road but found himself wondering if he could trust that his eyes were telling him the truth about what he was seeing. Every so often, at every stop sign and red light, every darkened corner, there was a flicker of things almost unseen. As the frequency of the occurrences increased and shadowy trails lingered longer in his visual field, he understood what was happening.

He was being watched, followed.

The recognition made him furious - who would be following him? Could it be Laurent, hiding in the West under Zeus' new direction and jurisdiction? He hoped not, assumed not, but couldn't shake the feeling of being watched, nor that Laurent could be the one doing the watching. His thoughts flew to Rachel, who of course was home with but Quinn and Pierre, a panic trying to take hold of him. Damien knew enough to not stop and chase after these shadows despite feeling the ache to finally confront and destroy Laurent.

But that was ridiculous, he had to remind himself, turning his attention away from darkening thoughts. Why would Zeus have anything to do with Laurent? He would never have been able to maintain such a powerful position in the city under as much criticism while dabbling in the abduction and trafficking. That was the hope, anyway.

Damien only stopped the car only after he had pulled into the Block, gave his name at the gate and was allowed inside. He parked and made his way in towards the front desk, ignoring the snickers from the demons nearby in the shadows. With purpose and a cool expression, Damien buttoned his jacket and said to the receptionist:

"Damien Evans here to see District Leader Chtahzus'aak, please." Damien gave the demon at the desk a pleasantly polite smile.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Re: A Minute of Your Time
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 09:54:26 AM »
The demon at the desk nodded while typing a few things into the computer.

"You can go right up, the elevator is that way," She gave Damien a tight smile before pointing behind her.  "Second floor, last door at the end of the hallway." 

Once Damien reached the large elevator doors, a hulking figure standing guard stepped to the side and swiped a card-key.  The doors slid open and the demon's stare remained fixed on Damien's face, hard eyes seeking his as if in challenge.  The demon waited a moment for Damien to enter before pressing the button for the second floor, doors closing shortly after.

Damien would find the door to Zeus' office closed over, expectant.  The demon himself stood in front of the fireplace with hands clasped behind his back, waiting. 

Chtahzus'aak expected this was a political visit, and permitted it only because McCloud had obeyed the terms of their agreement so far.  While he'd banned McCloud's own from going about the West, he knew Evans to be more of an outsider to the McCloud rabble that typically swarmed the Rabbit. 

He couldn't wrap his head around why an ancient - a businessman, no less - would associate himself with the Anarchs.  It went against everything Zeus knew about the clan the Brat Prince had dominion over.  It was absurd, and could only mean that there was some bigger plan behind Evans' decisions for aligning with McCloud. 

And it was for that reason, more than all others, that he agreed to see the vampire.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2019, 03:06:00 AM »
When the demon hesitated in Damien's path, clearly posing the beginnings of a challenge, Damien paused, the politeness in his expression dropping into something blank. A fleeting comparison of perceived strengths and weaknesses passed over the vampire just as the demon cleared the path. Thankfully, he would have no need to physically defend himself tonight against a demon who towered more than a foot over him. The interaction, however short, did taint his expectations for the evening and as the doors of the elevator closed Damien began to truly regret not taking Kerr's advice and avoiding the former demon Oligarch.

By the time he entered Chtahzus'aak's office the mask of politeness had slipped back into place, but didn't quite reach his eyes.

"District Leader? Damien Evans. It is good to finally meet you," he said cordially, extending a hand to be shaken. His had was taken into one of the firmest - not painful nor aggressive, just firm - handshakes he had received and Damien tried to show no surprise by it. Something about the gesture made his anger at being followed and blocked upon his arrival ebb a bit, reminding him that this man was known for being a professional and careful. When Zeus gestured and invited him to sit, he would, choosing the opposite space to the District Leader and making himself an appropriate amount of comfortable.

"Your compound is impressive," Damien said in the ways of small talk, sussing out whether such things would be more acceptable than diving right into his point. He couldn't decide which was better, especially as the campaign manager of an enemy. "I have always wondered what could be in this building with no windows or doors."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 03:33:22 AM »
Zeus leaned back in his desk chair, clasping his hands lightly in his lap and gaze falling intently on the vampire before him.  When Damien went the route of small talk, his lips pressed together ever so slightly, responding to the compliment with the barest twitch of a smile.  An ally to his enemy wondering about the interior structure of his compound made him glad for the multi-layers of protection that were in place. 

"Tip of the iceberg," the demon remarked dismissively, though there was a darker glint in his eye before a polite smile obscured it.  Couldn't have McCloud assuming that whatever Mr. Evans observed during his visit made for the bulk of his defenses - not that he was expecting any moves now, but they were immortals, after all, and there would be time for planning.  There was no telling what sort of tantrum McCloud would have after losing the election.

He exhaled briskly through his nose before crossing his arms over his chest.  "How goes the campaign?" 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 12:24:55 PM »
Damien's smile tightened. Clearly there would be no idle talk between them. Perhaps it was for the better, but he didn't believe so.

"I'm here on a more... personal matter, actually." He picked up the folder that he had laying in his lap and offered it to Zeus. "My business here has actually nothing to do with District Leader McCloud, and I come to you as a citizen without ill intention. Seeking advice, actually." He watched the shadow demon closely, hoping that what Kerr had told him was true. If it wasn't he was back at square one. But if Kerr's information was correct, well, then Damien would be trekking through a political minefield of Jake's making. Nevertheless, he studied Chtahzus'aak's expression like a hawk as he opened the folder and examined the contents.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2019, 12:55:16 PM »
Chtahzus'aak kept his expression carefully guarded as the vampire disclosed the purpose for his visit.  While the demon wasn't entirely convinced that their meeting would be devoid of any political implications, he was not about to turn Mr. Evans away now.  He made brief eye contact with Damien before he silently took the folder.  With his chin perched in the fingers of his left hand, elbow propped up on the desk, Chtahzus'aak flipped it open. 

Zeus could not hide the flicker of a scowl crossing his face as he glanced the pages over.  The report was headed with an impeccably well-done sketch of Va'tamal - named Laurent and Adam on the page - suspected of being a fire, smoke, or shadow demon due to a cocktail of reported abilities.  The document went on to detail a list of "aggressions" committed, from assault to trafficking, some instances bearing exact dates and times - all of which occurred before Zeus' own dealings with the demon.  Of course, he knew that Va'tamal was in illegal trade, but that made up the extent of his knowledge of any details.  It stayed out of the city - so he'd been told - and it was better that he did not know.  The assumption was always drugs or prostitution, things that put the other demon in a position for gathering hard-to-find information. 

He should've been more careful, should've cut ties with him earlier than he did.  There was a growing sense of dread blooming in his gut - did Mr. Evans know of their connection?  Was this document a threat - blackmail?  Thoughtfully he sucked on his teeth.

The document remained open before him as he tented his fingers, leveling a serious gaze at Mr. Evans.

"What exactly are you asking me with this information?"  He spoke carefully.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2019, 01:22:59 PM »
He found Zeus' reaction to the folder fascinating, as well as his question of inquiry. It struck Damien as off, though he couldn't say why. There was nothing to say that Laurent was known to Zeus, per se, but there was a feeling in the air that this was not the first time that he had seen Laurent's face. Jake had sent along the information to Zeus as well as the other District Leaders concerning Laurent a few weeks before and it was difficult to say what exactly could be surmised from Zeus's face.

But that question... Like the words of a man who was playing a similar game. Damien would also have to speak carefully.

"This man," Damien said, pointing casually at the folder and corresponding report in front of the District Leader, "has been responsible for stalking and terrorizing my family in the past. He burned my son so terribly that he will bare a scar for the rest of his immortal days. He kidnapped and tortured my partner for several months before I found her, all within a few miles of this city." Damien crossed his leg over his knee, remaining otherwise poised and still.

"Inside that report are all of the things that we know about the man named Laurent Craiton. We believe him to be a demon, but we are not sure of what species. Any associate of mine seemed to suggest that due to his powers, he may be a shadow demon. As you can imagine, I am largely unfamiliar with the abilities and experiences of shadow demons." He paused, flipping a mental coin and deciding his next words on the result. "As the former Oligarch for demons, I was wondering if you had ever come across any information about this man."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2019, 01:33:05 PM »
He splayed the fingers of his right hand against the paper and drummed them lightly - twice. 

On the one hand, he had no use for Va'tamal anymore.  Evidently, that connection should never have been entertained - far too risky, but that was beside the point.  On the other hand, should their past connection come to light - it would be a most unflattering light.  Guilty by association, some might say.  Ignorance was a graver sin the worse the atrocities committed were.  But if he provided information on Va'tamal, controlled the narrative of their past dealings before anything else came bubbling up from the sewage of Va'tamal's dealings...

Maybe.

"You are hunting him then, I presume?"  His tone was carefully controlled, striking that hard-to-achieve balance between nonchalance and interest.  He was not unaware of the fact that he'd set aside Mr. Evans' question for the time being. 

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2019, 02:33:02 AM »
"No," Damien said firmly, as if it were the only possible response. "This document is the same one I give all of my lineage so that all the information is readily accessible to those who need it." He debated telling Zeus what he had told Jake, that he was in fact actively hunting the demon and needed resources to do so. But talking to a shadow demon about hunting another shadow demon was not only bad business as the political opponent to one of the city's most notorious vampires, it was also just a way of building walls between supernatural factions that didn't need to be there. Especially in the months after the reclamation of the west. "I am simply looking to protect my family as best I can."

He attempted to steer the conversation away from such dangerous turf. "I approached District Leader McCloud about the finding and removing of Laurent from the city and he agreed that it was safest for all that he be found and tried for crimes he stands accused of. If I'm not mistaken, District Leader McCloud has sent out intel to all of the District Leaders concerning the dangers he poses to both the supernatural and human communities."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2019, 03:01:56 AM »
A smirk passed his lips for a moment at Mr. Evans' denial.  A demon allegedly attacked his fledge, allegedly stalked and terrorized his family and love, and he was not seeking retribution?  Did the vampire really expect him to believe that?   

Zeus' eyebrows lofted briefly at the mention of McCloud, or more specifically the fact that the Brat Prince of all people thought it best to bring a demon to trial.  Where was that restraint months ago?  He resisted the urge to scoff openly at the suggestion, settling for a perfunctory nod to acknowledge the last bit of what Mr. Evans stated.  Yes, McCloud had sent a bulletin of sorts with the name Laurent.  It lacked the details that Mr. Evans' report outlined, and since there were no reports of missing women in the West that he was aware of, Zeus did not go out of his way to pursue it.  The timing of the bulletin's release left a bad taste in his mouth, there were no follow-ups, and besides - he was the last one willing to assist McCloud in a demon hunt. 

It seemed that McCloud was unwilling to actively pursue this Laurent - a smart choice, all things considered - forcing Mr. Evans to court a political enemy for answers.  And still, he was to believe that Mr. Evans was not hunting the demon that stalked his family. 

No, he was denying it for the political implications.  Understandable, of course, but it bordered insulting his intelligence.

A slow exhale released from his nostrils.  "To protect your family the best you can," he repeated slowly with a soft smile.  His fingers drummed another two times atop the report, glancing again at the sketch before seeking the vampire's gaze.  His expression was grave.

"This demon," he tapped the sketch with a single finger, scowl returning to his features, "is known to me as Va'tamal, soul-ripper,"  his voice hung in the air, indicating he had more information at the tip of his tongue.  Instead, he narrowed his eyes.  "He will not stand trial, should you capture him."  Zeus straightened his back against the chair, his arms falling naturally to the armrests. 

"Let us set aside the political tip-toeing.  You are hunting him."  His eyes bored across the desk.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »
There was a flare of annoyance in his chest as Zeus mocked his words. He had stepped out onto a tight-rope and hadn't expected Zeus to call his bluff so forwardly. He was a crafty one, this demon, and it made Damien trust him even less than before. Not only did Zeus know of Laurent - Va'tamal, Damien logged somewhere in the obsessive part of his mind - but there was some implication that he was fairly well known to the Oligarch.

It also confirmed that Laurent was indeed still alive and nearby. He would keep that piece of information to himself for the time being, thinking about retracting Rachel's ability to be out during the day.

"No," Damien responded evenly to Zeus' assumption, his expression remaining as stoney as he could manage, dropping all semblance of being human. "I was hunting him. Now I am District Leader McCloud's campaign advisor and manager. I was informed that I would need to give up my hunt in order to gain that position. And so I did." What he didn't tell Zeus was that he no longer needed to hunt Laurent at all - he would find Damien all on his own now that he was making himself more visible. There was something in Zeus' words that left Damien wondering, however. He couldn't put his finger on it, but from his tone and presumptuous words, Damien sensed that Zeus would be eager to see the end of Laurent as well. That fact made Damien pause in his pursuit of information from the demon.

If Zeus wanted the end of Laurent as well, what information was Damien missing?

Damien clicked his tongue against his teeth. "I am curious, however, to know what information you have that I don't about him." Damien pushed back against the District Leader of the west. "You seem to be less than pleased to know he is still around.  Am I to assume that you are also interested in finding him?" Or perhaps you already know where he is.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »
Interesting.  Perhaps the Brat had learned from previous mistakes.

"Fair enough, Mr. Evans,"  Smiling bitterly and shaking his head, Zeus slipped an innocuous hand into his pocket as his eyes flicked briefly to the ceiling.

He would not willingly withhold information from Mr. Evans after being directly asked.  The question now was how much to divulge to avoid outright suspicion.

"I knew Va'tamal on the Other Plane, though I cannot say where he is now," his gaze slid back to Damien's, confident and unwavering; words flavored with a hint of distaste. 

"What I can tell you is this; his reputation - his talent for acquiring and using souls exceeded that of many others I knew."  Something in his face shifted toward concern for a brief moment.  "If you are perusing him -" he held up a hand to stop any further denial.  "I know, you are merely a campaign manager.  For now."  A dry smirk obscured any hint of sympathetic expressions, "Know that his capabilities extend past his natural abilities.  Given your description here," he leaned forward, tenting his fingers lightly on the report, "he has a powerful soul in his possession that he is drawing power from."  He leaned back in his chair again, hand still in his pocket.

"Do you believe he poses an active threat to you," A pause, "and yours?"

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2019, 08:07:13 AM »
The more Zeus spoke, the more uncertain of him Damien became. It was not the information that he doubted to be true, but the purpose behind telling Damien at all. When had Jake sent out the information about trying to locate Laurent? And Zeus had been sitting on this information all this time? He refused to let any of his misgivings show in his expression as he listened to the District Leader speak but he couldn't help but be reminded of Domitius, one of Lucretia's older fledges from long ago. He was a snake of a man who had earned his way into Lucretia's circle by being good at gathering information and turning allies against each other. Instinct informed him to keep his distance from Domitius just as it told him to keep his mouth shut about the truth behind what Damien's next steps would be.

If what Zeus was saying was true, then Laurent may be more dangerous than Damien was originally thinking. His thoughts flickered over to Pierre and the night was burned, anger alight in his chest, before engaging in a private debate of what to tell the demon. In the end, he decided that, while a lie would be safer, it would cast suspicion upon him.

"I do, yes."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2019, 08:17:52 AM »
A sigh pushed through his nose as a tight solicitous smile crossed his lips.  Zeus was quiet for a moment, thoughtfully stroking his jaw.

"What has led you to this conclusion?"

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »
Damien exhaled through his nose, weighing each word as if it would trigger some pressure plate and be used against him. The former Oligarch had just admitted to knowing Laurent - Va'tamal - from the demonic plane and understanding his strengths. The information was worrisome to say the least. Damien wanted to know how recently the had been in contact, but figured that such a question would backfire immediately, shutting Zeus up and closing down any access to truth - if there was indeed truth to be had. Damien still tried to take everything that Zeus was saying with a grain of salt, though he could feel himself becoming emotionally attached to the information he was being given - true or not.

"I have been informed that he is an exceptional hunter who doesn't like to lose," Damien said stiffly. "He's lost something I am told that he valued immensely. He also knows I am in possession of said... thing." He grimaced inwardly, hating that he had just referred to Rachel as an object lost. But neither did he feel it appropriate to spill Rachel's personal history of torture with a man who, best case scenario, knew Laurent casually.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 09:24:29 AM »
Zeus' brow furrowed, expression shifting from mild concern to something more serious.  He could only guess that Mr. Evans was in possession of some sort of magical artifact that Va'tamal once had.  Did that mean that he'd stolen from the demon?  Va'tamal was too careful a creature to allow an object of value slip through his fingers unintentionally.  Everything about the situation seemed peculiar and suspicious. 

"Surely a mere.. object is not worth the safety and well being of your family?"  He said quietly, with disbelief and confusion washing over his features.

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2019, 09:38:55 AM »
Damien bit his tongue, thinking. He didn't care much for Zeus' opinion of what was and was not important, but needed the demon to give proper information based on proper facts. Damien exhaled quietly through his nose again, clicking his tongue as he began speaking.

"This object is a member of my family." Surely that was enough to dissuade the demon from prying farther to see who exactly it was. "Giving up this person to Laurent would be an impossibility." He tried to see his own information out of an enemy's eyes to see if there was anything that Damien had given away that could come back to haunt either himself or Rachel. He believed that all was still safe on that front.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2019, 09:42:47 AM »
A hum rumbled deeply in his chest, a tone of understanding.  The elaboration of the situation positioned the vampire in a more sympathetic light, even though he was technically one of McCloud's.  The fact that it was a person that Va'tamal lost brought more questions.  The only logical conclusion in Chtahzus'aak's mind was that this individual went back on a soul-deal with Va'tamal, and he was attempting to collect.  Or that this individual was marked for such an extraction and escaped his grasp before he could successfully pry the soul from the body.  But why continue to hunt something so well guarded when there were others to acquire souls from?  Was it a commissioned work? 

He would not press for these answers.  It was information that he did not need to have.  Evans came to him for advice, and it was convenient that he sought to put a stop to the same demon that Zeus no longer had a desire to deal with.

"I cannot advise you on how to find him," he spoke slowly, as though he were mid-thought.  His hand went back to the report, pulling it back toward him on the desk and flipping through the pages again.  "If he is as persistent as you've indicated - and from what I know of him in the past this comes as little surprise to me - then you cannot hope to evade him for long."  Zeus glanced up from the pages, letting them fall quietly back into place as he sought Damien's gaze. 

"Your best course of action would be to bait a trap."

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2019, 10:14:18 AM »
I already have, Damien thought to himself grimly. He had taken the role as campaign manager, hadn't he? He had made himself and his family more public and recognizable than ever before. He allowed Rachel to go out during the day with an escort.

"What do you suggest?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2019, 06:51:29 AM »
The irony of this meeting - Evans' question - was not lost on Chtahzus'aak.  One of McCloud's vampires asking him how to trap a demon, with the wounds of the West still fresh in many minds.  There were enchantments and magical trappings, detailing every weakness of his species and doing all but handing the keys to a cell meant for him directly into enemy hands.  What if this were McCloud's efforts for revenge?  Play on his sympathies of protecting family to devise a way to take him down? 

His expression became grave, eyes reflective.

"We are weakest when the thing we desire is nearly within grasp."

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2019, 07:27:54 AM »
Zeus' vague statement puzzled him and the change in his expression wasn't lost. Did he want Damien to hunt him down? There was no way he was going to dangle Rachel in front of Laurent like some kind of carrot - Rachel had been used enough in her life and Damien refused to participate in that as much as he possibly could. What was he supposed to do, leave Rachel unguarded during the day? Let her walk around town by herself? How would that bring him any closer to killing Laurent?

Damien kept his eyes on Zeus and said nothing for a long moment, chewing over thoughts and plans and all the information he had learned tonight. He was beginning to think that Laurent may have been too much for him to handle alone and he was thankful that there was such a large gap between the last Occurrence and now. He was woefully underprepared and the thoughts that ran through his head formed a lump in his throat.

"I cannot put this person in harm's way," Damien stated evenly, though there was a tension in his voice that he found unacceptable. He cleared his throat, releasing the lump as best he could. "I am already limited by the daytime and can offer only limited services as such. How do you suggest setting such a trap when there are only limited ways to spring it?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2019, 07:52:44 AM »
The tension in his voice stood out to Zeus, further highlighting the importance of this individual.  He gave a moment of time before responding, wary of Evans' next response, expecting further defensiveness.

With an unexpected tone of humility, he addressed the vampire.  "I understand your apprehension and mean no offense by what I suggest."  Zeus sought Damien's eye for a measure of acceptance before continuing.

"You have the upper hand," his tone was level, "You know what Va'tamal wants."  At face value, this seemed obvious information, but in terms of conquering an enemy it was the most valuable information one could possess.  He sighed slowly through his nose, hoping that Evans could set aside his personal emotions for what Zeus felt was the best approach.

"Instead of waiting for him to choose a place of capture, as this outcome seems inevitable, you must create an opportunity that he cannot resist."  It was a laughably obvious plan to him, one that could be applied to numerous scenarios.  "Control all the variables - but do so subtly - and make it so this person is safe.  Va'tamal will be blinded to your machinations by his own eagerness." 

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2019, 04:25:31 AM »
Damien stayed quiet for a long time, his eyes on the shadow demon before him as he spoke. His thoughts raced with half-considered plans of situating Rachel in some kind of trap home alone, memories lived through Rachel's recollection, and the frustration of the helplessness he felt through all of this. Worst yet was that emotional reaction to Zeus' words when he knew it would be smarter to take them as an outsider's opinion at best.

He couldn't put too much weight into Zeus' words, but his knowledge on shadow demons was severely lacking, having never know what Laurent was before.

"How do I protect myself and my kin from a blatant attack? He is a shadow demon who can use any manner of tricks against us." He wished he could have expected an answer from the former Oligarch but Damien was no fool. His kind were not welcome in the Block, nor amongst the demon population. And Zeus was a shadow demon while Damien worked for the man who invaded the west. He only hoped that his defensive stance against Laurent would act as a buffer between him and any perceptions of him trying to eradicate the demon race.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2019, 09:11:41 AM »
He listened to Damien's question with gradually narrowing eyes.  Best case scenario, aside from the vampire having no ulterior motives, he was ignorant of the implications of this question.  Worst case scenario, he was fishing for information specifically for the designs of McCloud's revenge.  It left a bad taste in his mouth.

Chtahzus'aak was sorely tempted to reply, I am sure McCloud can advise you on that front, but held it back.

"I cannot speak to the soul he likely possesses,"  Zeus began slowly, maintaining steady eye contact as he crossed his arms over his chest.  "Generally speaking,"  he released a quiet, reluctant sigh through his nose.  "They are most invulnerable in their natural form."  Chtahzus'aak was unwilling to give much more than that. 

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2019, 11:24:33 AM »
He nodded slightly at the answer, noting the tone of aloofness finally coming out. Understandable, truly, and Damien was grateful for the bone that he was tossed, however small it may be. At least civility remained in the room. The feud between Jake in Central and Zeus in the West was the farthest thing from his concern at the moment, and it felt necessary to remind Zeus of that. He sat thinking of some way to keep getting information from Zeus without causing the demon to dismiss him and prematurely end their meeting for being too inquisitive.

"So the soul that he possesses will determine what powers he can wield?" He kept his tone conversational while inside dread balled up his stomach. If that were true, Laurent could have any number of powers, any of which could be deadly to vampires. And if Laurent were the kind of strategist that Damien knew him to be, most of these separate powers would be guaranteed to do damage to humans and vampires alike. When he would finally strike, he would be well armed.

He had heard of the mysticism of soul magic in passing long ago and unfortunately paid it little mind. Damien had no idea how any of these souls could be stored, let alone used. Kerr had suggested an artefact that enhanced his powers, but no one had noticed anything particular about the times in which Laurent had attacked. Were these souls single-use items? Were they batteries of powers that could be recharged? Was there anything that could be done to prevent Laurent from being able to use the souls?

"Are there limitations to using these souls?" There had to be - everything had a weakness.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
"Yes," he replied promptly to the first question, unblinking.  Why, again, did he feel obligated to relinquish this information?  How far did he need to go in order to distance himself from any suspicion of being affiliated with Va'tamal?

He studied Damien for a moment, assessing. 

"There are always limitations," he narrowed his eyes, "I imagine they are dependant on the soul itself and the one who possesses it." 

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:46 AM »
Damn. He had persisted too far into the warzone with his questioning, the aloofness now a barrier between what Damien already knew and what he still needed to. It was a defeat in the making and to push anymore questions would be to both tarnish his own image in the District Leader's eyes and to promptly make him a suspicious energy. Best to quit with what has been given.

"Yes, I'd imagine so." Damien looked around at the room, noting its cleanliness and order while his mind was anywhere but in that moment. He waited a breath before speaking again. "You have given me a great deal to think about, District Leader," he wrapped up, passing along subtle cues that he understood the conversation to be coming to an end. He stood and buttoned his jacket, straightening himself out and reaching to shake the demon's hand, whether he stood or not. "I greatly appreciate your time and energy. Please let me know if there is anything I can do in return." Damien smirked at him, though his gaze remained softly distracted by his own thoughts.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2019, 11:52:13 AM »
Standing, he took the vampire's hand to shake.  Internally the demon swallowed a mixture of apprehension and relief.  With any luck, Evans would heed his advice, Va'tamal would act too impulsively, and all loose ends would be dealt with - all without his direct involvement.

He gave Damien a perfunctory nod, stepping out from behind the desk to walk him to the door.  While the offer was customary, Zeus doubted he would call upon him for a favor should the need arise.  "If you should think of anything else, you know how to reach me."  Though Chtahzus'aak suspected that he would not hear from the vampire again.