Author Topic: Wrench & Spanner  (Read 15350 times)

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
Wrench & Spanner
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:38:57 AM »
Trick and his family left at daybreak, wanting to get a good parking space. Getting there early had worked the day the carnival opened on the Saturday, but hadn't on the Sunday because it had kept going through the night, attracting visitors. Trick's car was still parked in the second row of the first field but his father was waved through to the second and they'd walked quite a way to get to the front gate. Trick waved them goodbye and headed to his car where he would wait for the mechanic he'd called last night to meet him here.

He'd used Harm's idea and read through a bunch of the supernatural papers and mags online looking at ads until finally he'd found a mechanic advertised in there. It had been a tiny one line ad with a mobile number. He'd texted his details and request to it because he hated talking on the phone and received a positive text back from 'Jesse' that they could meet up at 7am.

Trick sat on and lay back on the hood of his car. He wore a grey Thrasher hoodie over black board shorts and chucks on his feet, with wrap sunglasses on his face.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Wrench & Spanner
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:52:27 PM »
Jesse knew he’d had somewhere to be come morning, but he’d still spent the night before walkin’ on a slant. He felt like he’d been ate by a wolf and shit over a cliff. Didn’t look much better, neither. Not with his hair looking like he’d just rolled out of bed and a freshly inflicted bruise spread beneath his swollen left eye.

He was late. He’d gotten in his car and started her up at 7:00 AM on the mark, taking the time to light up a smoke before coasting out the drive. He ought have done the neighborly thing and fired off a text to let his client know he was running behind, but he didn’t. Instead, he’d pulled up twenty minutes past, parking behind Trick’s car and effectively blocking the lane. After snuffing a second cigarette in a cupholder ashtray, he rolled up his window and stepped out.

The navy blue coveralls he wore, sleeves tied at the waist, were smeared with black grease. A plain white tank-top covered his torso, and the tongues of his boots lolled forth from loose lacings - flapping like an over-exuberant pup’s lapping appendage as he trudged forward.

“You Trick?” He asked.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 08:32:57 PM »
Trick hadn't once checked his phone in the time he'd been laying on the hood of his car. He'd given the mechanic enough information about where he was--at the carnival's first carpark. He'd also mentioned how to find him--halfway along the second row. And he hadn't forgotten the number plate of his car while also supplying his name--Trick.

When the classic red car purred up the second row even though there were no parking spots, Trick opened his eyes and sat up, watching as the vehicle slowed down and stopped at his car. Trick hopped off the hood and felt for the catch, releasing it and then lifting the hood up. He did this before Jesse turned off the engine and got out. When Trick turned around to look at Jesse, he made a tiny sound 'oh' in surprise, seemingly shaking something off.

"Yeah, that's me." Trick reached for his phone with his left hand while also holding out his right for the shaking.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:07:57 PM »
Jesse’s mouth stretched slow and wide; shaping a lazy smile that might have been charming had it not been for his sorry state. Apparently, he found humor in Trick’s soft little issuance of surprise. He reckoned it was due to his blackened eye.

He grasped the hand offered out to him tightly, subjecting it to one firm pump. His was the kind of handshake that demanded dominance - with a grip just shy of pain-inducing. He offered no introduction, figuring he didn’t need one.

“Engine cranks but don’t start?” His southern twang was far from subtle, words spilling from his lips like molasses.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 02:00:25 PM »
After the handshake, Trick absently massaged his right hand with his left.

"That's it," Trick replied, his gaze roaming Jesse's face for a short moment his gaze fixated on the mechanic's eyes. "Did you want me in the car turning the key so you can see what's going on?"

Trick pulled his gaze from Jesse to stare at the car that was little more than a paperweight, presently. "Do you want me to sit in the driver's seat and turn the key so you can hear it? Or should I step aside?"

Trick moved awkwardly to the car parked beside his broken down one. He leant on it and could hear a faint beeping coming from somewhere. It was difficult to determine the direction.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 01:05:38 PM »
Jesse maintained his smile as the other fellow locked his gaze on his, and met him with an unblinking stare. He wouldn’t be the first to look away. “Go on ahead,” he replied, with an indicative jerk of his chin toward the deadweight car. “I’ll give it a listen.”

After Trick had settled into the driver’s side, our Jess moved around to stand at the open hood. He tuned into the sounds of the car’s whirring engine - hearkened to whether or not it slowed or sputtered - and reached down to fiddle with some of the machinery.

“You had this car long?” He called out from where he stood - a hand raising to idly scratch at his left shoulder, where the saw-toothed scar of his making had hung its hat.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »
"Too long," Trick replied, turning the key when he was instructed to. "It can get testy in the morning, too."

The car whirred and coughed. Trick pulled a face when it sounded like his car would start, making all this for nothing. But then it died and did nothing but whirr without catching.

"Is that enough to get an idea?" Trick asked, brushing a hand through his hair before stepping out of the driver's seat and standing behind the door, looking awkward. He looked from Jesse to the strip of engine that he could see from his vantage point.

Eventually his gaze shifted to the mechanic. "So after you fix my car are you sticking around for the carnival or do you have jobs to do?"

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
“Think that’ll do,” he responded, making his way back toward his own car to retrieve a toolkit from the trunk. He stuffed a dirty rag halfway into his back pocket, then returned without bothering to close up the lid. There weren’t nothin’ of value in there, anycase.

After dropping the heavy metal case to the ground at the head of Trick’s car with a rattling slam, Jesse squatted low to open it up and sift through its contents. He pulled out the needed tools, then set to work - speaking as he did so. “If she’s havin’ trouble startin’ up when it’s cold, she’s likely got a clogged up carburetor. Might want to have your spark plugs changed, too, if you haven’t in the last three years or so. I reckon I can get ‘er runnin’ pert-near, but not plumb, without.”

He went quiet for a time; finagling out a piece of machinery and giving it a thorough, tinkering examination before reestablishing its home. When Trick asked him if he’d stick around, he lifted his focus from his work to settle upon him instead.

“I’ve only got the one ad,” he drawled, that slow-forming smile stretching anew. “Don’t get a whole lot of job requests.” Not as a mechanic. His attention dipped back down to his task, and another moment of silence passed before he said, “Reckon I’ll stick around; see what all the carnival has to offer.”

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »
Trick shut the car door with a thonk and moved around it to look at the engine. With his hands low on his hips he inspected what Jesse had touched with glazed eyes and then turned to watch him move the toolbox. It looked heavy.

Screams of delight floated to their ears on the wind as rides rattled across tracks or bounced on pneumatic arms. Trick turned to face that way before looking back at Jesse.

"I don't have a lot of money," he said slowly after the mechanic listed off the parts he needed to keep his car running. "How long can I push it with your quick fix before I run the risk of breaking down?"

He'd broken down a few times in the past and while he'd survived the experiences, he didn't want to challenge himself for them.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2019, 08:39:32 PM »
“Don’t know,” Jess offered unhelpfully, rolling his shoulders in a lazy shrug. “Could be as little as a few days, long as a few months. Ain’t no real tellin’.” He considered momentarily being a good Samaritan and offering up his help - but, ultimately, decided he didn’t have enough cares to. Not for a stranger.

He gave the part he’d been messing with an experimental wiggle and, upon finding it firmly reaffixed, jerked his head toward Trick. “Go ‘head and start ‘er up.”

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2019, 08:48:33 PM »
Trick half-sat half-fell into the driver's seat again, one foot dangling out of the open door. He turned the key, heard the whine of the motor as it turned twice... and caught! Not even a cough could be heard. Trick made a noise of relief but he didn't look impressed by Jesse's vague answer about how long his car would keep running.

"Clean carburetor and new spark plugs," he muttered to himself, his expression sour. With the engine still running he climbed out of the driver's seat and shut the door, facing Jesse. "That's awesome," he said, his choice of words stronger than the emotion he showed. "How much do I owe?"

He gave Jesse a ponderous look.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2019, 09:32:51 PM »
Jesse met Trick’s ponderous look with one of his own; lashes swooping low over his gaze as he debated for a drawn-out spell. Money was far from tight. He’d had more wins than losses at Club Zero over the past month. Eventually, he shrugged. “You get me a meal inside, we’ll call it even.”

He ducked down to return his tools to their case, then hefted the thing up to carry it back toward his still-open trunk.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2019, 07:25:48 AM »
Trick opened his mouth to reply, closed it, gave a soft half-laugh and shrugged. "Sure, I can do that. I'll be your queue boy."

He watched as Jesse picked up the toolbox, muscles working to carry the thing. It was obviously heavy, the metal inside as good as any of the weights Trick used at the gym.

He shut the driver's door and locked it before moving to the still-open hood. Reaching up to keep it from falling, he removed the rod and put it away so he could close the hood too, dropping it for the last couple of inches so its weight could finish the job.

Turning back to Jesse, he could see that the tools were now away. Trick glanced down the double rows of cars, seeing about twenty or maybe thirty were blocked by Jesse's truck. Not his car, though. Jesse had driven a tiny bit past his car, probably so the toolbox in the back would be close to Trick's bonnet. Trick glanced in a few other directions but nobody was leaving the carnival in this direction. All the cars around him were different to yesterday though.

"Shall I meet you at the gate?" Trick guessed, allowing Jesse the option of driving his truck into a proper space.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 01:46:04 PM »
“Sounds good,” Jess drawled impassively, slamming shut the trunk of his car and sidling into the driver’s side. It had crossed his mind that he might leave his car where she was, but there were some troubles weren’t worth stirring up. Instead, he took his sweet time to pull away; rolling down the window, lighting up a smoke, and inhaling a few drags before finally starting up the engine to go. It took him a while to find parking and, when he did, it was much farther from the carnival entrance than Trick’s car.

His coveralls were pulled up and over his arms when he eventually strolled up to the gate; halfway zipped, with the top of a pack of Marlboro Reds peeking from his left breast-pocket. He sought out Trick with an indolent focus, pausing to stare down some highfalutin folks who’d been keen to bump into him.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 02:12:12 PM »
Trick joined Jesse when he moved through the gate and headed towards the stalls that were giving away food or showbags. There were a lot more people here on Sunday than there had been on Saturday. His expression betrayed his surprise.

"I was here yesterday and it wasn't as busy," Trick remarked. "Guess word got around."

There were more obviously supernatural folk in here, too. Trick saw a lot more wings and tails and differently coloured beings. The fae and the demons seemed to be out in full force. He gave Jesse an assessing stare but didn't ask any questions before they arrived in the middle of the food tent area.

He pointed the various queues out to Jesse. They were all incredibly long, especially for the breakfast round. "I can line up and get you whatever you like if you want to sit down and wait. It might take me half an hour to get to the front."

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
 “Guess so,” Jess affirmed, paying no real mind to any of the folks about - colorful or otherwise. It wasn’t anything he didn’t see on the regular at Club Zero. Ain’t no one wore disguises there. Might not’ve amounted to a hill of beans by comparison, but he was at home with the strange of it all. His lazy-drifting focus was drawn more toward the rides than anything else; even those, however, he showed no real measure of interest in.

When they arrived at the food tent, Jesse’s gaze passed over his options with similar disinterest. “Reckon I’ll sit, yeah,” he eventually said. “See if you can find me somethin’ could cure a hangover. Somethin’ with meat, grease, ‘n’carbs,” he added a moment later, before turning to seek out a table with room enough for two.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2019, 07:16:27 PM »
"Ohhh, kay," Trick said after hearing the order. He recalled the burger Harm had eaten the other day and eyed the burger stall. It looked like a long wait but he queued up at the end anyway. Thankfully it moved pretty quick because two people were building burgers while one cooked all the patties on a flash grill. Ten minutes later when he got to the front he was handed a cardboard box with a burger inside plus a glass bottle of soft drink.

Trick turned and scoured the sit down area, his eyes roving the stationery crowd as he worked his way through the moving one. Jesse had found a picnic bench to sit at and Trick hurried over to him, placing the food and drink in front of Jesse so there was no doubt that both items were for him.

"I'm gonna get something else," Trick said, casting his eye at the vegetarian stall. It was packed. Word must've got out that it was good food. The sub sandwich place had a smaller line, though it was slow-moving enough that people were peeling off it. Trick would only be eighth in the queue so he lined up and shuffled along. Another ten minutes later and Trick returned and sat opposite Jesse, with a footlong bacon and egg sub sandwich and a bottle of orange juice to have with.

"How hungry are you? Dyou want half of this?" Trick offered, pointing at the footlong sub which had been cut in half.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2019, 11:47:57 AM »
By the time Trick had returned the second time ‘round, Jess had ravaged over half of his burger. He washed a hefty bite down with a few swallows of soda, only to take another immediately after. Like a starved lunch puppy, he pushed the flattened out wrapping of his burger toward Trick - nodding an affirmative response to his query and lifting a beckoning hand. At least he had sense enough not to talk with his mouth full; weren’t no shortage of folks back home telling him to mind his damned manners.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2019, 11:12:13 PM »
Phoenix popped the last of the hash brown into his mouth as he weaved his way through the people milling about amongst the different food vendors, dressed in faded denim jeans and a pale cream coloured skivvy, sneakers and Ray Ban sunglasses. He was surprised how busy it was considering it wasn't even mid morning yet. Maybe they were like him and they just wanted to get away from the normal hum drum of their lives. The carnival was fun and everything was free so why not get there early and take advantage of it

He was washing the last traces of crispy hash brown goodness down his throat with a swig of coffee when he spotted Jesse scoffing a burger like a starved mutt fresh off its lead.

"Jesus Christ Jesse!" He said with an amused smile as he sidled up to him and the other guy, removing his sunglasses from his eyes and sliding them in amongst the curls on top of his head as he continued talking. "At least chew the damn thing." He rolled his eyes and shook his head at Jesse before turning his face to his companion and holding out his hand in greeting. " Hi, I'm Phoenix"

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2019, 11:55:58 PM »
Trick took his half of the sub sandwich out of the paper it was wrapped in and held it, pushing the other half over for Jesse to enjoy. His eyes were wide on the mechanic as he wolfed down his food but his grin was broad. Trick took a sip of orange juice and then a bite of his sandwich just as a striking hot man sauntered up to their table.

With his mouth full he could only gawk. He chewed hurriedly as Jesse was addressed. With Phoenix's name and hand moving his way, Trick wiped his fingers on the single napkin that he'd picked up with his meal and smiled a closed-mouth smile. He gripped Phoenix's hand and pumped it twice before releasing it and then swiping his hand through his hair a couple of times. Swallowing finally, he said: "I'm Trick. Good meeting you."

He blinked, his gaze darting from Phoenix to Jesse and then back again. "You buddies?" His next blink was a slow one and it was combined with a cringing smile.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »
Unlike Trick, Jesse chewed his colossal bite with pointed unhurriedness, rolling his gaze up to Phoenix as he sidled up to their table. A hand lifted, middle-finger erect, in eloquent response to his playful rebuke; but the beginning traces of a smile were evident all the same. When introductions had been made and he’d finally swallowed down his food, our Jess sucked the remnants from his teeth in quite the tawdry manner.

“Thought I smelt varmint,” he drawled with a slow-spanning grin. His focus drifted back toward Trick, before falling upon Phoenix once more. “We buddies?” He echoed.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
"You too man" He said in response to Trick before sliding himself onto  the bench seat of their table. "As for buddies..." He turned to look at Jesse with a grin, just in time for his charming greeting.

He furrowed his brow in mock confusion, his eyes gleaming with good humour. "I'm sorry, What?" He arched an eyebrow at Jesse and smirked. " I couldn't understand you past the slab of meat and bread you have wedged in your gullet" He smiled in earnest as he picked at a napkin and held it out for Jesse to use. "You have shit all over your chin. And we get by I guess." He said in answer to his question. Jesse and he had meet at Club Zero where Jesse was acting like an alpha mutt looking to put him down, so he challenged him to a cage fight. They had been buddies ever since and Phoenix guessed they were making their way to becoming friends.

Phoenix turned to Trick and repeated his answer with a half smile and a negligent shrug of his shoulders. "We get by. What about you two" He asked with a raised eyebrow. " You two buddies?"

He had never seen Jesse hanging around anyone outside of his pack and so he was genuinely curious, also, Trick wasn't bad on the eye. Maybe Jesse and he were more then buddies. He quickly flicked his eyes between the two of them trying to see if he could assess the answer from their body language. Was he intruding on a early morning date after a late night romp? Shit, why did he always end up in this socially awkward situations?

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2019, 06:26:37 PM »
Trick fiddled with the sub in his hands. The small square of paper it was wrapped in crinkled with the movements but the sound was lost, drowned out by carnival noises and hundreds of conversations being had at once.

Trick shifted his fidgeting hold on the sub sandwich so it sat in his left hand and with his right reached for his orange juice, sipping it and looking at Jesse momentarily before his stare found Phoenix next. His eyes sparkled mischievously over the rim of the juice bottle before he set it down.

When the question was flipped over and shot back his way, he had a quick answer. "He fixed my car," Trick explained. "So I'm paying him back by being his queue-bitch," he laughed. He held his sandwich in two hands again, lofting it but not putting it in his mouth. It had one bite taken out of it.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 08:23:23 AM »
“Well,” Jesse began slowly, addressing Phoenix as he snatched up the proffered napkin and scrubbed it along his chin to mop up the mess. “Gettin’ by or no, don’t mean you ain’t still liable for a cuff.” He flashed another wolfish grin to let on that he was still in decent enough spirits - he wouldn’t be throwing hands yet - before turning his focus toward Trick. He’d caught that look. The look a person wore when they might be up to no good. Jess found he didn’t have care enough to pay the spark in his eyes any mind.

His body language didn’t betray a single thing beyond its usual out-of-ring and unangered listlessness. To Phoenix’s eyes, our Jess would look chewed up and spit back out; with hair uncharacteristically rumpled (considering he ain’t brawled out yet that day) and a shiner to mark that his previous night’s romp weren’t of the variety he’d been thinking. Now, with his breadbasket near-about full, his hangover was on the upswing. Might’ve had more than a bit of use for some hair-of-the-dog, all the same.

“I wouldn’t call ‘er fixed just yet,” he said with a scoff and laugh mingled, shifting his attention back over to Phoenix. “You here alone?” The query was punctuated by way of boorishly shoving the last of his burger into his mouth.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »
He watched Jesse carefully over the rim of his to-go coffee cup which he sipped from, he seemed to be at ease but he had first hand experience on how quickly his mood could flip. He was unpredictable, a slow talking, laid back, southern boy one moment then a rabid and ravening werewolf the next. Jesse loved to fight and was often the fist to step into the cage most nights.Which by the looks of him was something he did again last night. Werewolf fights were a popular event at the club, not the biggest money maker since most times it was basically a human on human affair...until the fight went to far and a change occurred, then the money started to seriously flow.

He let Jesse's cuff remark slide, knowing any negative rebuttal would be seen as a slight and challenge to Jesse's dominance, not that the puppy had managed to beat him the few times they had fought. Instead he lowed his cup back to the table and addressed Jesse's question with a wink. " Yeah I gave my sister the slip, ditched work and decided to come explore some. I want to see what this city has to offer. I hear the city has some interesting caves somewhere along the coast line, are they open for exploring and spelunking or is it just some boring tour guide shit?" he liked caves, his whole race did and if these caves were deep enough and secure enough they might be able to use them to nest in.

He followed Tricks orange juice as he raised it to his lips and caught the mischievous glint in his eyes and smiled playfully in return.

"So recent acquaintances then?" How recent he wondered. Did Trick know that Jesse was a werewolf? Was Trick human or other. if he was human did he know the truth about the world he lived in or was he like most and walked around blind and happily ignorant of the truth of things. if Other, what flavour was he. Not vamp since the sun was out and shining brightly, not gorgon, nor were or angel, nor did he smell of the ocean so he ruled out siren and other oceanic creatures. Demon maybe. Devils always did seem to come in handsome packages.

"Is your car here? At the carnival?" he asked curiously. " Do you need it towed?" he didn't own a tow-truck but he could get the job done if needed. Saraekiel had an interesting and wide net of contacts.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 08:36:39 AM »
"Nah, it starts now. I'll just drive it out of here," Trick replied after meeting the long stare that Phoenix put his way. His gaze flicked to the side as some people with huge folded up wings stared greedily at their table. Trick looked back at Jesse and Phoenix, and offered them a small smile each, lingering on Phoenix before blinking away to address Jesse.

"We even now?" he asked. "I was going to go on some rides."

Trick finished the last of his juice even though he had a quarter of a sandwich left in his hands.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2019, 09:56:38 PM »
Phoenix lifted his cup to his lips and swallowed the last mouthful of his coffee. It seemed Trick was ready to go and he felt bad for possibly crashing their breakfast date, even though they alluded that it wasn't one.

"Well I guess I should make tracks." He said as he stood up. "It was a pleasure meeting you Trick and I guess I'll catch you at the club tonight Jesse?"Catching Tricks lingering smile, he lowered his eyes and smiled briefly in return. "Hey, you should come by the club some night too Trick." He said before realizing that Trick might not be able to get in the club, if he was human that was. Did he even know about club zero?. "Ummm, if you're interested that is. I mean Jesse, or I..." He nibbled his bottom lip, suddenly unsure and nervous. " If...if you want I could give you my number and we could go together, or Jesse. You could go with Jesse. I mean, naturally you could go with Jesse since you two are friends and all...." He ran his free hand through his hair, suddenly feeling uncomfortable and making a fool of himself as his sentence petered off into an awkward silence

"He could go with you right?" He said to Jesse in an almost panic, hoping Jesse might throw him a lifeline if he was reading this all wrong..

"Rides....what rides were you interested in going on?" he asked in a hurry in case Jesse wasn't helpful and Trick started thinking he was a nutjob.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »
Jess followed the line of Trick’s gaze toward the winged vultures eyein’ up their table, proving he could be observant - if he was of a mind to be. He made direct, and very pointed, eye contact with the largest of the bunch; baring his teeth as he reached across the table for the forgotten half of Trick’s sandwich. He bit into it, then returned his focus to his companions. He’d sit there for as long as he damned well pleased, and wouldn’t get up a minute sooner. When asked by Trick if they were even, he made a low sound within his throat that could have been interpreted as affirmation and was likely meant to be.

As Phoenix began to spout off with less sense than you could slap on a gnat’s ass with a butter paddle, our Jess leveled him with a stare. He chewed slowly, eyes closing in a slow and measured blink, then shrugged unhelpfully. After swallowing down his bite, he bluntly asked Trick, “You got somethin’ special about you, or are you just a human in the know?”

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2019, 07:12:28 PM »
Trick looked up in surprise as Phoenix made a comment about leaving. His surprise melted into disappointment before it morphed next into curiosity. His gaze flicked between Jesse and Phoenix as a club was spoken about and his eyebrows shot up in surprise when a number was offered him. As the conversation progressed, Trick nodded slightly, then shook his head minutely, his smile light but growing as Phoenix continued to speak with little pause.

At Jesse's movement towards him, Trick looked back to see the sandwich in his hands being gripped. Fingers brushed against his own and he released his food, saying nothing but watching with slightly wider eyes as Jesse claimed his remaining piece of sub and took a huge bite out of it, still sneering but now grunting. Trick laughed a couple of breaths to himself and looked back at the standing man beside their table just as the question about his species came. Instead of returning his gaze to Jesse, who was devouring the last of Trick's meal, he kept eye contact with Phoenix.

"I'm not human," he said, sitting up straighter before running a hand through his hair. Then he offered Phoenix a broad grin.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2019, 12:59:38 AM »
Trust Jesse to just blurt shit out. At least you never had to guess as to where you stood with him. His brash honesty and no fucks to give attitude were what he liked about the young werewolf.

At Tricks reply he found himself smiling and a tension he hadn't even realized he was holding eased out of him. " Not human and certainly something special." He said softly in response as he grinned in return. Trick he felt would be someone very interesting to gt to know. he seemed laid back and easy going and yet he was reminded a of still river, the surface calm and inviting but with untold depths lurking beneath.

"You should definitely give me a call, or just come by Club Zero. I'm there most nights, and days too. I'd love to hang sometime."

He tore his gaze away from Trick and looked at Jesse, who was busy once again scoffing food into his gob, which caused him to grin with amusement. "By all the Old Gods Jesse, learn to chew your food least you choke to death someday."

He shook his head with a small chuckle before looking at Trick again, laughter still glinting in his eyes. " It was nice to meet you Trick." he said as he held out his hand to shake in farewell.

He would have liked to stay or even walk around the carnival with them but he didn't know their plans and he most certainly didn't want to intrude or outstay his welcome, considering he had just crashed their morning date to begin with. It was time he made tracks.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2019, 08:35:41 PM »
When a second invitation to give Phoenix a call came, Trick took the prompt and swung his leg over the bench seat to get out of it, standing fluidly and reaching into his pocket for his phone, unlocking it and thumbing his way to 'Contacts' and 'Add Contacts' before he held the phone out towards Phoenix. He assessed their height difference even as he shifted his weight to his other foot to escape the seating. Jesse eating his stolen sandwich was momentarily forgotten.

"You can put your number in here," he said. "Maybe the address of Club Zero, too?" he suggested. He squinted against the sunlight that beamed a glorious shine upon Phoenix's curls, lending him a kind of halo. Trick's wrap sunglasses were the next thing to come out and he placed them on his face, anonymising his identity.

Offline pentagrandma

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 12:32:17 PM »
Jesse swept a hand outward in a ‘there you go’ sort of gesture when Trick let on that he wasn’t human. Wasn’t all that hard to just ask.

He was eating slower now that his stomach was closer to full. Or, perhaps, it was a pointed effort made due to the fact that those folks still stood nearby, waiting out their table. His lips twisted up into some semblance of a smirk as Phoenix made comment on his likelihood of choking. “Fun to imagine the kinda trouble that’d stir up, though, ain't it?” He queried in response, knowing that Phoenix was well-aware that all hell would break loose were he to come near to death, especially in their current fit-to-bust setting.

When Trick stood to trade details with Phoenix, our Jess squinted up at him. He’d wager that the fella wouldn’t find Club Zero much to his liking, but he didn’t say so. Either he’d be keen on it or he wouldn’t. Didn’t really matter none - but Jess reckoned he’d get a good kick out of seeing the shock on Trick’s face when he saw it all for what it was.

Eventually, he lost interest in the pair’s exchange, and his gaze became unfocused - drifting toward some nameless, faraway object.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 12:35:43 PM »
Phoenix took Trick's phone, his fingertips brushing theirs. At the contact he lifted his gaze to Tricks and smiled, a brief turning up of the lips, his eyes heavy and questioning with interest.

"Thanks." He quickly added his number and the address for the club to Tricks contacts. "I hope to see and hear from you soon." He said with a twinkle in his eye as he handed the phone back.

He was tempted to ask them if they wanted to join him as he explored the carnival for the day, maybe take him to their favourite rides, or even show him around the city but Jesse looked spaced out and bored and Trick seemed eager to go so he smiled and took a step back from the table. " Well it was a pleasure meeting you Trick, and good to see you away from the Club Jess."

He was going to leave it there but he needed to make some acquaintances, deeper connections with people who weren't part of the power structure of the North. Friends, he needed some damned friends or he was going to go insane.

"Maybe we could hang out some other time, explore the city, see the sights." he looked at Jesse. " Maybe we should take Trick spelunking in those caves they opened up in the west, check them out, see how deep they go?" He lifted his shoulders and shrugged slightly, indicating that he was merely putting the idea out there but leaving the decision to them. "if yous want I mean. Anyway see ya's around yeah?"

He offered them both a friendly smile then turned and weaved his way through the milling people, lifting his face to the sun. It was good to be away from the club, to have a day to himself. It was time for some damned fun!