Author Topic: Preliminary Arrangements  (Read 19300 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Preliminary Arrangements
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2019, 04:57:52 PM »
Harm reached over and wrapped his hand around Trick's, entwining their fingers and chuckling at his final comment.

"Well, it's really only scary for me," he conceded, deciding to start with that news first because Trick's reaction seemed a little nervous. He took a deep breath, releasing it slowly.

"So, the first thing I did was start talking to people about getting passports and visas and then I looked at predicted turnaround times for them. Both can take up to six weeks to be processed and approved but most people I talked to said they got their passports back in like two weeks and their visas approved in about three, soooo," he paused for effect, "I went to HR and organised leave without pay. Ready or not, I'm not going to be employed in six weeks' time."

His grin broadened as he drew his shoulders up in an excited hunch and squeezed Trick's hand.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2020, 07:07:38 AM »
Trick stared ahead at the road as Harm confessed his actions. At first there was the radio on low and the drone of the car's engine competing with Harm's voice. As Harm launched into waiting times for his documents, Trick stabbed the radio off. Then a slow smile grew and continued to grow until he was beaming at the road.

"That. Is. Fucking. Amazing!" he said in short bursts that grew louder with each stressed word. He whooped and wound the window down so he could shout at a jogger. "We're going to Europe!" The jogger didn't even break stride or react. Trick's hair was being toyed with by the wind that poured into the car through the window. He turned to grin broadly at Harm. "I feel like my smile is eating my face!"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2020, 02:11:31 PM »
Harm relaxed his shoulders and giggled through a playful wince as Trick’s volume increased, releasing his hand when he pulled it away to use it on the steering wheel. When Trick stuck his head out the window to yell at the street, Harm lost it, throwing his head back and laughing loudly as Trick’s joy suffused the cabin of the car.

When Trick turned to grin at him, his eyes wild and his hair whipping about his lit up face, Harm’s heart squeezed and all his doubts melted away. He wanted to give Trick the entire world in that moment, just to make him keep smiling like that. He stole Harm’s breath with his raw beauty and he had to blink himself out of his stupor in order to respond, hoping the delay hadn’t been too awkward and noticeable.

“Heh. Well, it makes a delightful change from me eating your face, I guess,” he joked, turning to his bag somewhat dopily. He opened it still not quite remembering why he’d kept it on his lap but his Trick joy-daze disappeared when he saw the piece of paper sitting inside. “Oh! And there’s more!” he exclaimed, pulling it out and looking back at Trick.

“I got a lead on a place we can stay. Two, technically but I don’t know about the first. See, there’s an exchange program type thing where nurses can basically swap lives but it’s a six month commitment and I know you don’t want to be somewhere that long but it is an option. I could sign up and do it. It starts in two months’ time and basically the English person would come live in my place and work at my hospital while I go to theirs. There’s even a compatible swap available but, as I said, six months,” he shrugged, his voice hinting that although he recognised it as a secure option, it wasn’t what Trick wanted to do so he was happy to dismiss it.

“The more interesting one was a share house with three nurses just outside of London. I know one of them, too, she’s from my hospital. She’s the one advertising for a fourth. I emailed her this morning and she said it would be no problem if there were two of us in the one room, it has a queen sized bed and one of the other girls has a Greek boyfriend living there, too. Not a nurse, from what I gathered. But, yeah, I wasn’t sure if that appealed to you or not? It’s okay if it doesn’t! It’d be crowded - apparently the place has three floors, though - but cheap and we would be able to stay as long as we needed, to save money. She said the hospital they all work at is really close and I’d get as many shifts as I wanted. They all work a bit and travel in between, like we’re planning to do.”

Harm pressed his lips together, feeling like he was talking way too much, way too fast in his eagerness to please Trick. He needed to let him offer an opinion. He watched his boyfriend with wide eyes, forcing himself to shut up at last.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2020, 02:30:05 PM »
"Um, I dunno, I think... one sec," he said, and put the window up, cutting off the strange thumping noise that the wind made inside of his car. Once the car's window had reclaimed its position and sealed the car up from outside noise again, Trick ran a free hand through his hair before returning to his usual position. He found Harm's hand and entwined his fingers, returning their hold to the same spot as before.

Trick made a few thinking sounds before he asked questions. They poured out of his mouth in a rush. "Do you have to give an answer to either of them soon? What's the difference of pay between them? How about rent? Six months is a long time but the UK is small and we could go somewhere new every weekend. Or whenever you get a two day break. It depends on a lot of things, right? What's your instinct, which one do you want to do?"

He finally stopped asking and looked over at Harm expectantly every so often, not taking his eyes off the unfamiliar road for too long.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2020, 12:16:13 AM »
Harm grinned, his eyelashes fluttering as he was bombarded with questions from an uncharacteristically chatty Trick. He laughed breathily, thinking about where to start with his answers as he looked through the windscreen at surroundings that were becoming increasingly familiar.

(Continued in Harm's Family)