Author Topic: Garden of Eden  (Read 11571 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Garden of Eden
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 07:04:40 PM »
Samuel frowned, his mind racing, reading a deeper meaning into Remi's words than just him being susceptible to the sun. He preferred permanent additions to his garden... and his life? Because an immortal being wasn't permanent enough? Or was he being viewed as part time because he was only around at night? Was he even reading the right thing into any of this, though? When Remi grabbed his thumb and moved his hand downward, it felt like he wasn't imagining it. He was physically and metaphorically being kept at a distance, then. Because he wasn't trustworthy yet?

Still, Sam took it as an excellent sign that Remi didn't remove his hand entirely and even if he rejected his offer of being a statue, the way he smiled at him was encouraging (and lovely). There was hope... but, again, Samuel's reservations rose up, attempting to stifle the good time he was having. As Remi's employer, he shouldn't be making moves on him. It was very difficult when he wasn't being dissuaded outright like he'd expected but Remi was pretty innocent. Maybe he didn't get it? Ah, but why'd he move his hand down if he didn't know what Sam was doing?

The alteration in his heart rate had been unmissable, the change in his tightened vocal cords obvious. Remi was interested in him; it confirmed for Sam that Gene's sexuality hadn't also been flipped when everything else had, which was a great relief. Remi had been offended the last time Sam asked (rightly so) and he'd been trying to figure out a more subtle way to ask ever since. He didn't need to now. Remi could be seduced... but Remi shouldn't be seduced by him! So who? Dominic? Gah!

Samuel shook his head vaguely, trying to clear up the rapid toing and froing his brain was doing trying to figure Remi and his motivations out. He needed to respond. Cut this short as he should, perhaps ask Remi to take him home and enjoy the many, many hours left in the night in restrained solitude. Or call Digital as soon as he got there and see if he could take his frustrations out on someone who definitely wouldn't move his hand lower.

He grinned back. "So you're only interested in full-time adornments, huh?" he queried, turning his hand within Remi's grasp in an effort to let go of his knee and thread his fingers in between Remi's, so that they were holding hands. He didn't feel overly warm anymore, which Sam took to mean that Remi's heat was behaving as all heat did and had invaded his cool flesh to achieve equilibrium. It was one of the true delights in spending time with living creatures.

"Vampires need not apply because there could be no casual... 'decorations' in your garden?" he asked softly, looking at Remi's mouth as he lifted his head off his hand and tilted it closer to Remi's face. The hand that had been supporting him dropped and brushed warmth emanating off Remi's dangling hand. Drawn to it, his pinky finger stretched outward and lightly caressed Remi's. "I didn't know you were such a traditionalist. Pity," he announced, disappointment evident in his tone and in the playful pout he wore.

With a sigh, he sat up and withdrew from Remi's personal space, pulling both his hands back and using them to press into the cushions either side of his body to lever himself a few inches away. He frowned down at it as he did and then looked up at Remi in the same manner. "Is this where you sleep?" he hazarded, aware that Remi's scent was potent here, like he spent a great deal of time on this couch - longer than a casual relaxation session warranted.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2019, 04:02:46 PM »
It was like Sam had marched off, filled a bucket with ice water, and returned to dump it on Remi’s lap. For a while, all he managed to do was blink at Sam. Full-time adornments? Casual decorations? Assuming he wasn’t interested in him because he was a vampire? All he’d wanted to do was dissuade Sam from stripping and playing at being a statue without offending him, because it wasn’t something he’d mind happening, just… not right that moment.

He’d had every intention of explaining himself, but before he could, Sam disregarded him as a traditionalist and pulled out of his grasp. Remi recoiled from him, frowning and dragging his hands the rest of the way into his lap. It wasn’t fair. Just because he approached things differently didn’t mean he was wrong. He opened his mouth to tell Sam that, but the vampire’s final disbelieving question about his sleeping arrangements forced him from his seat and a few paces away.

Remi huffed and sharply flicked his wings out, but didn’t register that he’d knocked into the ceramic bust of Buddha at the center of his coffee table until it rolled off and hit the ground. Thankfully, it didn’t break, and the act of retrieving it and placing it back in its original spot gave him time to unruffle his feathers. He sighed and looked at Sam.

"Yes, that’s where I sleep. If you don’t want to sit there, you don’t have to. There are plenty of other chairs." Remi slid his hands into his pockets, one filled with the still unfamiliar hard plastic of his new phone, and shrugged. "It was big enough for us to sit next to each other, that's all." He dug his hands deeper into his pockets as he backtracked even further to address Sam’s original questions and accusations. "I’m clearly not any good at word games, so… I’m not going to try anymore. If you were talking about sex, then no. I don’t want anything casual. That’s not who I am, and I won’t pretend otherwise. I want to get to know someone first. It’s not because you’re vampire, it’s because I don’t know you as well as I want."

He tilted his head to the side as he regarded Sam, his eyebrows lifting marginally. "Not yet, at least."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2019, 06:18:25 PM »
Samuel was shocked when Remi pulled back, got up and walked away. The wing flip made Sam flinch, his eyebrows lifting in surprise at the drama of the action. It was undermined somewhat by the knocking off and reclaiming of the Buddha - to which Sam startled and began to help but then decided it was best left to Remi to fix so sat back, choosing not to interrupt because he could see that Remi had something to say. Boy, did he. The vampire's expression of surprise only got wider as Remi spoke his mind.

"Oh," Sam said at the conclusion of Remi's speech, feeling like he was being scolded - and rightly so. Of course, there was also a part of him that was rejoicing at those two little words, 'not yet', but he needed to temper his hope and focus on right now, if he wanted to realise that potential future. He'd been flirting, not trying to confuse Remi with word games but it didn't feel that way now. It felt like he'd been up to his old tricks, trying to dupe him and that wasn't true. He got up and approached Remi, pressing the palms of his hands together and looking contritely at the beautiful angel.

"I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to confuse you, I was just being, uh, subtle. I didn't realise you wouldn't be offended if I just asked," he explained, licking his lips as his hands separated and tucked themselves into the back pockets of his jeans, resting on his ass. After a brief pause, he smiled and lifted his eyebrows slightly, attempting to look a little more humble. "So you're saying... once we get to know each other better, you'd be open to us exploring... a potential relationship... of some sort... maybe after the books are done?" he suggested awkwardly, shrugging because he wasn't sure what he wanted from Remi exactly. Though sex was the easiest place to start, he wanted to show that wasn't all he was interested in.

It seemed wisest to hold off on pushing anything while they were working together, too. Besides, that was excellent 'getting to know each other' time, so it would be working towards a goal (beyond having the texts translated, that was).

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2019, 08:50:32 PM »
When Sam approached, weilding an apology like a shield, Remi’s expression softened. His wings, which had been clamped tightly to his back, lifted along with his lips as he smiled at Sam. The vampire hadn’t been ridiculing him for wanting to take things slow, he’d been trying to get a feel for the situation without coming out and asking. Well, perhaps now he’d see how much easier it was to just ask. Instead of dancing ‘round and ‘round, they stood face to face and had a better understanding of each other than they had before.

"That’s exactly what I’m saying," he replied, nodding. "But I don’t like to put a limit on these things. It could happen sooner, it could happen later." It wasn’t like he could guarantee that his heart would click open the moment they closed the final of three books. If history was any indicator, it would happen well before that — especially if it took as long to translate everything as Sam had hinted.

"We don’t have to wait until I start work to begin, either." He lifted his hands from his pockets to cross one arm over his middle and rest his other elbow atop it to scrub at his chin thoughtfully. "Let’s see. It might come as a surprise, but I enjoy doing other things besides getting in trouble with the Ward and earning fines.” He paused, allowing a modicum of suspense to build before he announced that he liked to play the cello when he wasn’t gardening (though sometimes, he admitted, he played his cello to his garden).

"What about you? Did you discover you enjoyed flying enough to make it a new hobby? Or is there something else?" 

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2019, 05:05:46 PM »
Initially, Samuel took Remi's offer of not needing to wait until they started work to mean a whole different thing - he thought Remi was saying they could maybe test out their attraction to each other now, rather than waiting. Get a little closer, maybe a little making out... but he quickly realised he had that wrong. Remi was only talking about sharing their interests and not having to wait to get to know each other. Just in general. His disappointment was palpable.

He pushed it aside, acknowledging that he liked the idea that Remi wasn't locked in to any particular timeline and he was open to them becoming... well, becoming a 'them'. He did have to keep reminding himself of that fact - that was what was important. It was just that Sam was also contemplating whether it would be worth waiting and hoping for. What if they restrained themselves, held the faith and then found there wasn't the spark he anticipated they'd have? They'd have wasted time. Surely some things were worth testing sooner, not later?

The mention of hobbies and flying reminded Sam of the mention of a certain Mexican skydiver earlier - and the spark of curiosity (jealousy) that had come with that. Would he be met with honesty if he asked about that, too? He got the feeling that Remi would but he wasn't sure he was ready to hear it. Remi didn't seem to be hung up on anyone - he'd have said so when talking about them having potential, surely? - so what did it matter who he'd been with, for how long and how long ago?

Sam didn't know but, for some reason, it did seem to matter to him.

His raised eyebrows (because he'd thought Remi was suggesting a trial run) lowered and became an easy laugh as the angel joked that he liked doing things other than getting into trouble. It made him think of Dreki playing and singing for him. Angels really were a musical bunch. "I'd love to hear you play sometime," he said genuinely, "I love the cello! And the violin - strings in general, really. I'm pretty boring in that my spare time looks a whole lot like my work time. I enjoy reading and researching, particularly artefacts and rare texts I want to acquire for the Library. I sometimes go to exotic places in search of them, so I travel occasionally, too. I've done a lot of travelling in my almost-two-hundred years. I've only been back on this continent for the last nineteen."

Sam's hands withdrew from his back pockets and his smile softened as he addressed Remi's final questions. "As for flying... " He stepped in close to the angel, reaching up to grip his shoulder in a gentle squeeze/massage manoeuvre before he reached forward and stroked downward on the edge of the wing closest to him with the backs of his fingers, his worshipful gaze watching his action. When his hand lowered to rest on Remi's waist, he looked into his eyes and smiled. "I enjoyed it. Mainly because I was in your arms. I'm looking forward to when you fly me home and I don't have a box to worry about, it can just be me hanging onto you. We can be a little more free, then."

His husky voice and direct look at Remi spoke volumes because he was trying for an effect. Testing the angel's interest now.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2019, 08:59:35 PM »
Thinking about playing his cello for someone who actually possessed ears — perhaps while Sam planned out his next trip to some colorful locale in search of treasure — brought a smile to Remi’s lips. He’d done his fair share of traveling, too, though always at Vretil’s behest. What was it like to decide he wanted to go to a place and arrange for it to happen? Oh, it had to be such a beautiful, authentic freedom.

Remi wanted to ask where he’d ventured last and if he knew where he wanted to go next, but the vampire moved into his space and touched him in the same intimate manner he had when they’d sat next to each other on the couch. Somewhat unsurprisingly, Remi’s brain lost its connection. All he could focus on was the feeling of Sam’s hand on his shoulder, and then the sensation of his wing being stroked. Although they were incredibly sensitive to changes in air temperature, wind speed, and pressure, he didn’t feel any of it directly through his feathers — it was through the multitude of nerve endings in his skin. His eyes slid shut and he sighed contentedly.

Maybe instead of money in exchange for his translations, he could talk Sam into petting each of his feathers in the same manner. It would be heavenly.

He mourned the loss of touch, but not for long, since Sam had only lifted his hand to transfer the point of contact to his waist, effectively securing him in place. Not that he would’ve wanted to move. There was something heady and entrancing about their shared connection, minor as it was, and he wanted more. Remi slid one of his hands up the smooth planes of Sam’s chest, splaying his fingers as he stepped forward and closed what little distance remained between them. He felt no heartbeat, but his own rapid thudding made up for the absence.

It didn't take much when Sam was near for his heart to kick into high gear, it seemed.

"Free to do what?" he prompted as he traced a finger over Sam's collarbone and back down again, curious what he thought they’d be able to accomplish in the air.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2019, 11:28:33 PM »
Samuel watched as Remi smiled sweetly and then sighed and closed his eyes when his feathers were brushed. It was a very obvious sign of happiness and approval (for which Sam was grateful, since he hadn't been too confident about touching the angel's feathers directly - it might've been a sensation overload). When it was followed by a warm caress upon his cool skin (too much of it was blocked by his fluffy flannelette shirt, in his opinion) and collarbone, he gripped Remi's waist more firmly.

Frankly, he wasn't too concerned by what they could potentially accomplish in the air when he was touching Remi right now. He lifted his free hand and nimbly undid the buttons of his shirt, pulling the lapels out from beneath Remi's hand so that they had skin on skin contact. The angel's heartbeat was racing enticingly, pushing blood through his veins so that it pulsed in his palm, transferring into Sam's chest like a warm, vibrating current.

Sam smiled slowly, his gaze fixed on Remi's mouth. He already had his answer - about whether this would be worth waiting for - but definitive confirmation couldn't hurt. As long as it came from Remi, then he couldn't be accused of rushing anything. He licked his lips as he finished undoing his shirt and that hand moved to Remi's waist as well. He stepped in so that their bodies were pressed as closely together as Remi's hand on his chest allowed, his hands sliding around to Remi's lower back, his fingers lifting, spreading, stretching, seeking to brush the underside of Remi's wings as he briefly had the side of one a few moments ago.

"Well, I'm not too sure about that, now," he drawled, "I reckon you're the expert. What do you think we can manage if that pesky box isn't between us and it's just you and me pressed together, floating through the sky?" he queried with interest, tilting his head to regard the beautiful angel. His hair slid forward, arching over his eye as he looked intently at Remi, clenching his forearms in an effort to squeeze him as close to his body as possible.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
"We could manage plenty, but I can't say how long I'd be able to stay in the air," Remi murmured, too distracted by the continued contact with his wings to lend more power to his voice. He didn’t try to elaborate either, nor did he imagine he’d be able to for as long as he had access to the wide marble swath of skin Sam had exposed to him, one slip of a button at a time. Remi dragged his fingers over his cold flesh, surprised by how much more he looked and felt like the statue in The Luminary’s foyer than he’d imagined. Muscles shifted beneath his palm, reminding him of Sam’s assertion that he was far more malleable than anything chiseled from stone, despite appearances otherwise.

He lifted his head, his mouth parting slightly and his breath hanging in his throat. It’d be easy to turn his face just so, lean forward, and meet Sam in a kiss. He’d finally find out if the vampire’s lips were as likely to warm upon contact as the rest of him, but he’d also deliver a message that contradicted what he’d said moments earlier: that he needed to take things slow. Remi clenched his jaw and slid his hand downwards, skirting over a well-defined abdomen and obliques before he mirrored Sam and pushed his arms around his middle.

The space between them completely disappeared as Remi hugged Sam close and pillowed his cheek on his shoulder. What he couldn't see wouldn't tempt him. He sighed, and it was the steady sound of released tension. His heart rate slowed, his eyelids became heavy, and he smiled in the vague manner of someone completely at ease. Vretil would’ve had an absolute conniption if he’d popped in on them. Was he insane, allowing a vampire access his neck? But it was the furthest thing from his mind. Sam hadn’t behaved at all like he’d been led to believe he would, and he’d had plenty of opportunities before now to sink his fangs into his skin. If he did, he’d deal with it, but he wouldn’t fret when he hadn't been given reason to worry.

"I should probably get you home before I fall asleep standing here," Remi admitted reluctantly. He didn’t shift from his position except to tighten his arms around the vampire. "There’s no where for you to hide from the sun."

He'd have to remedy that before Sam visited next.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2019, 08:31:16 PM »
Samuel was touched by the notion that Remi would even contemplate him being there during the day. It indicated a level of familiarity he hadn't expected, despite the fact that they were standing pressed against each other, their arms around one another. He was surprised by how well they fit together, though he supposed he shouldn't've been. They'd fit together just as perfectly once but that was long ago, now. He closed his eyes and savoured the contact, his hands rubbing slowly up and down Remi's back rather than stroking his wings and his cheek resting on the back of the angel's head.

"Okay," he eventually agreed to the statement that Remi should be getting him home before he fell asleep, unsure how long they'd been in the garden or even how long they'd stood there holding each other. It seemed like hours but also a blink in time. Sam was surprised by how easily he was able to resist the urge to put his lips on Remi. The desire was still prevalent but he could suppress it in favour of appreciating what he had. It was a heartening change. "This is nice, though. Your heartbeat is soothing." That slow heartbeat was also an indicator that Remi was tired, he knew. Their enlightening evening getting to know each other had to come to an end.

Sam lifted his head and pressed his lips to Remi's hair, squeezing him a little tighter. "Reckon I could wrap myself around you and you fly me like this?" he murmured, shifting his feet to the outside of Remi's as if he was preparing to wrap his legs around his hips immediately. It would become obvious to Remi that, even though Sam had resisted the urge to kiss him or further their interaction, his body had still responded to Remi's proximity, partially firming up in his jeans. He didn't want to draw attention to it but he also wasn't ashamed Remi would figure it out.

Offline Ehcorn

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2019, 11:42:54 AM »
Pushed up against him like he was, it was impossible to ignore the sign of Sam’s arousal but he didn’t remark on it. The body often ran separate to the mind, and it wasn’t like Sam had done anything except hold him. He took his cheek from the vampire’s shoulder and craned back to raise his eyebrows at him following his suggestion, though. Remi admired his ability to restrain himself, but carrying him front-to-front would be the quickest way to short-circuit both of their brains. They didn’t need the temptation.

"Another time," he offered, slithering free of his grip and smiling wryly as he began to close his access to another temptation by buttoning Sam's shirt. When he’d finished, he smoothed his hand over Sam's chest and sighed. It had to be done, but he could still mourn his loss. The same went for how he had to carry his passenger, which wasn't nearly as enjoyable as what Sam had proposed, and instead ended up being identical to how he’d carried him when he’d brought him to visit his garden. He moved around the vampire to place a hand on his back and dipped down to scoop him up by the backs of his knees. Now, at least, Sam didn’t have to hang onto an awkwardly shaped and weighted box and was able to wrap his arms around his shoulders and help balance him.

Their takeoff looked a lot different than the first, where he’d had to run the length of a field and labor his way into the air. He stepped onto the highest ledge facing into the wind and spread his wings to billow out behind him like two white sails, creating enough lift that all he had to do was step off and they were flying. He took them close to The Luminary, but not close enough he’d risk setting off any Ward alarms, and found a secluded (and conveniently abandoned) lot nearby to land in.

With practiced movements, he eased Sam’s feet to the ground, but Remi didn’t hurry to release him. He ran his fingers along Sam’s arm and gathered his hand in his to tug him into facing him.

"Thank you for everything tonight," he said. "I had fun." He glanced skyward and rocked his head back and forth, then amended the statement with a laugh, "Well, after we paid the fine. The Ward's never fun."

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2019, 04:18:32 PM »
Samuel smirked as Remi (wisely) dissuaded him from climbing up his body and latching onto him. He looked down his body, lifting an eyebrow as the angel buttoned his shirt in a gesture that was endearingly domestic and somehow intimate. He glanced up and watched Remi's face instead, his smile softening affectionately at the look of concentration he saw there. The caress on his chest had him wanting to cover Remi's hands with his own and follow through on the warm feelings shifting inside him, holding him in place while he stepped forward to kiss. But he couldn't, so he didn't.

He was really beginning to understand what an exercise in frustration spending time with Remi was going to be. It didn't give him second thoughts, exactly, just... it did give him pause. The potential relationship was feeling very real now that he was staring sacrifice in the face, knowing it wouldn't be easy. It would test him. That seemed appropriate, though - redemption and all that. Looking into Remi's eyes as he rose above his own desires and gathered Sam into his arms convinced the vampire that the gauntlet would be worth it. He cuddled in close, wrapping his arms around Remi's shoulders and nuzzling his face in against his throat while the world turned topsy turvy without them attached to it.

When they landed, Samuel appreciated Remi hanging onto him while he found his land feet, the brush of his warm hands travelling across the exposed flesh of his forearms sending tingles across his skin. He chuckled at the comment that the Ward wasn't fun, nodding gently. Instead of addressing Remi's compliment, he took a moment to double check that Remi could find the Academy and that he would definitely see him there the next night, sharing the time he'd definitely be available to work with the angel. Finally, with a smile and a brush of the back of Remi's hand with the back of his own, he made his farewell. "I had fun, too. I'll see you tomorrow night,"  he promised.

It took every ounce of willpower he could muster to turn and walk away from Remi at that moment. Sometimes the promise of the future was not enough.