Author Topic: In the Serpents' Den  (Read 16373 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
In the Serpents' Den
« on: January 10, 2020, 07:46:42 AM »
Open

Tonight was a Special Night for Celebrations, of plans falling into place and the Prize well within reach.  He could have taken her right there from the bathroom - and oh what a Temptation she was - but McCloud was too alert for an easy getaway.  How Tantilizing it was to taunt them!  How her little heart pounded while they made their escape - so Difficult to Resist.  None of that mattered, let them have a little Warning, see how Evans would scurry to prepare for an Invasion. 

Instead of following the car speeding back to Evans' home, Laurent moved West in the shadows.  While Zeus formally cut ties with him, none of his sentries in the shadows seemed to pay him any mind.  Perhaps he was unrecognizable - well, he certainly Preferred it that way.  Whatever the reason for his Uninterrupted travel, he arrived at the door to a new pawnshop - though the grime on the windows indicated that it had been here for longer. 

It was Highly Unlikely that he would run into Chtahzus'aak here, and that was all that mattered.

A bell chimed overhead while Va'tamal's boots fell heavy on the linoleum floor.  With a grin on his face, the shadow demon approached the glass counter of the pawnshop and his favorite Serpent. 

"Busy?"  A lit cigarette dangled from his lips as he spoke, black eyes moving around the empty shop while he took a drag.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: In the Serpents' Den
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 07:58:33 AM »
Apep swept the floor of the shop, a simple pleasure in the repetitive, but productive, task. There was something about being unproductive that bothered Apep to his core. While he could be everything to everyone, the thing he hated being most was lazy. Every decision he made had to advance him somehow, and so sweeping the floor made it cleaner for customers. To tell Apep that he was actually just anxious would've earned a slap at best, and fangs in their neck at worst. Music played through the PA, and Apep moved his lips along with the lyrics, breath escaping without sound. The young and ambitious demon had trouble accepting recent successes. He'd moved into the west properly, had a front, and was making money hand over fist. The bar ate most of their hall, put even still, Apep had put away a decent chunk of change. Everything was going according to plan, and yet, he swept as if it could fall out from under him at a moment's notice.

The ringing of the doorbell caused his head to turn, and he broke into a deep smile at seeing his newest customer. Laurent was the first big deal he'd struck, other than Zeus, and his supply of souls had contributed to Apep's part of the payment for the building and restorations. He was also the kind of demon Apep strove to be, if not a bit more subtle. He rested the broom against the shelf he was nearest to, and took his proper position behind the counter.

"Always," he teased, "but for you I can spare a few minutes." Apep sucked on a jewel, taking the vapes into his lungs. He looked to Laurent's real cigarette. "Hey can I suck on that for a moment," he said, pointing at Laurent's crotch, before tilting his finger towards the sin stick.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »
Laurent's eyebrows lifted in momentary surprise, but it was a slow wicked smile that followed.  Images of the snake's pretty lips wrapped around something Other than the cigarette made his cock twitch.  Delicious.  His brush with the Prey left him full of enough Desire, and the snake's insinuation was more than welcome. 

With eyes locked on the demon before him and steps deliberately unhurried, Laurent moved around the barrier of the counter.  He came to a stop well within what would be considered Personal Boundaries, and took a slow drag.  Smoke drifted lazily from his nostrils as he plucked the cigarette from between his lips and held it to Apep's mouth for taking. 

"Here," came his husky murmur. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2020, 08:22:33 AM »
Apep wrapped his lips around the filter, hands remaining at his side. He took a deep drag, letting the smoke fill his lungs and water his eyes. He pulled his head back, and lifted his chin towards the florescent lights. A smoke ring, large and halo like was blown through Apep's pretty lips, and it framed Laurent's face like a picture.

"Tasty," he complimented, before blowing out the rest of the smoke. Now he wanted more things to smoke, and considered he couldn't do them here in the pawn shop. He decided the first step was to get any official business out the way.

"Before I get too distracted with you, anything you need tonight from the serpents, or are you just here for me?"

His eyes glowed gold, and he looked to the door marked, Boiler Room. "Here to inspect the best new speakeasy in the city?"
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2020, 08:32:26 AM »
Intently Laurent watched Apep's mouth while he smoked, tongue darting out to wet his own lips.  The smoke ring went unnoticed - too busy imagining the way Apep's throat would bulge with his cock reaching as far as the snake would accommodate. 

He inhaled steadily before answering.  "I am here to celebrate," his gaze followed the serpent's to the door before darting back.  "I hear you know how to show a proper Good Time."  He grinned with his teeth. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »
Apep considered things quickly. Laurent had no official business, but was here for a good time. Apep wanted to keep one of his best customers happy, and had long thought about how alluring Laurent's human form was, and so decided that he would celebrate too. He smiled knowingly, wagging a finger in a classic no, no, no like style.

"I am the good time," he corrected, hitting the button underneath the counter and unlocking the door to the club with a loud buzz.

"Head down, grab a plushy couch and order me something strong to drink. If you want Hookah we have it. I just need to close up the shop and I'll be down to join you."

Once Laurent had headed down the steps, Apep went to the front door and flipped the open side to closed, before locking the front door and pulling down the blinds. Lights were flicked off, music unplugged and lastly, the broom was placed in it's proper home. Satisfied, Apep unlocked the boiler room door, and headed down into the club to find the waiting Laurent. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2020, 10:17:15 AM »
With nothing more than a sultry grin, Laurent descended the staircase with a series of thumps.  When he reached the bottom step he gave a curt nod to the coat check, and, keeping his coat, headed past the curtain and into the bar.  His fingers moved to take another cigarette from his leather jacket but they stalled as he remembered the Hookah.  The speakeasy was a touch emptier than he expected it to be - a free carnival in Central would draw supernaturals from every distract, no doubt.  That was fine with him - he wasn't here for the crowd.

His eyes moved about the room as he went first to the bar to order "Two whiskeys, neat," and continued directly to the first open booth he spotted.  Sitting back against the booth he allowed his gaze to drift about, staring unabashedly at the exposed skin of the waitstaff going to and fro. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2020, 03:09:48 AM »
Apep worked his way down the stairs and started for the booth where Laurent awaited him. He'd be be preforming later, his contortionist act always being a hit. For now, a few other Scarei played snake jazz. Apep snapped along as he reached the booth. He slid in, and not so subtly, rested one of his legs on Laurent's waiting lap. The snake demon grabbed his whiskey and took a healthy swig, before resting it back on the table.

"This is the waiting room," he said of the main bar. "Another layer of illusion for what really goes on here."

Apep let his hand find Laurent's, and although he wasn't planning on holding it like middle school lovers, it ended up looking that way. Laurent's hands were bigger, and rougher, than Apep's smooth ones. Their fingers were interlaced.

"How do you normally celebrate," he asked. He didn't know much about Laurent beyond business. Now seemed the best time to learn.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2020, 03:37:11 AM »
With the intensity of a predator, Laurent's eyes followed Apep as he approached the booth.  He savored the alcohol in his cup, corner of his mouth curling into a smirk while the snake settled in beside him.  One large hand went not so subtly over the leg that Apep draped over his own.  A knowing smile spread across his face while Apep talked of waiting and illusions, a pulse of sultry desire spreading through his limbs.  Yes, tonight would be for indulging in such pleasures.

When his hand was taken into the snake's grasp, Laurent quirked an eyebrow.  His fingers were stiff, as though hand-holding were a completely foreign concept to the demon.  The near tenderness of the gesture made his stomach churn with mild disgust and he disengaged his fingers in favor of pulling his pack of smokes from his jacket pocket. 

"With sinful pleasures of the flesh,"  he crooned, taking another sip from his glass.  This, of course, meant Sex and Substances.  His fingers moved idly across Apep's thigh, hoping that they would not be grabbed for again.  "How long is the wait?"  He asked, placing the flat of his palm firmly (and high) on Apep's thigh.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 06:26:04 AM »
Apep noticed how briefly their hands were joined, and made note of it. Grabbing a smoke was a good excuse though, and so Apep was unsure if Laurent had pulled away for any other reason. He asked to bum a smoke since Laurent had brought out his pack. Apep hadn't charged him for the drink, so it's not like he was looking for something for free.

Laurent had answered his question, but Apep was unsatisfied with the answer. He wanted more. How had Laurent become Laurent? What were his real plans, and why of all people had he come to Apep to celebrate? He didn't ask any of this now. Last thing he wanted to sound was needy, when it reality he was mostly just curious. Laurent seemed to want to move to the finale of their time together, and skip the build up. That might've been fine for him, but Apep loved the foreplay of conversation. He decided to split the difference and provide a bit of both.

"Tina," he yelled to the passing cigarette girl, a kind of demon who looked strangely like an imp. "Fetch us a Hookah, two hoses, one ice tip, the other standard."

"Flavor," she asked, in a chirpy sounding voice.

"Tobacco, but throw in a fruit blend to offset."

With the addition of bringing a bottle full of whiskey, Tina scurried away. Now, he'd answer Laurent's question. "As long as I want," he said. "I own the place and don't care if I end somebody's trip too early. I need to warm up a bit though. By the time we finish the appetizer, we'll be ready for the main course."

The main course was heavy drugs and lots of fucking, and he was sure even Laurent would understand his double meaning this time. Laurent's hand was grabbed again, but this time not like lovers. Apep simply guided Laurent's hand around back to his ass, and rested it with a handful of cheek. He assumed that was  a more comfortable place for Laurent's hand to be.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 02:57:43 AM »
Laurent watched the exchange between the snake and the woman in silent approval, watching the way her body moved as she went to fulfill the request.  When Apep spoke again his eyes darted back, words drawing a smirk to the corner of his mouth.  Information was good since up until this moment, he wasn't exactly sure who owned Ouroboros.  Fascinating that the mighty Chtahzus'aak would Permit such an establishment in his district, but he knew the other shadow demon would keep his head turned until Something forced him to turn it back.

An appreciative hum rumbled deep in his chest.  Laurent's appetizer was had before he reached the doors to the pawnshop, but he didn't mind a bit of a tease.  When his hand was guided to the snake's rump he gave it an enthusiastic squeeze with fingertips pressing roughly into his flesh as if to test its give.  With his free hand, he reached for his drink, throwing back the rest of the whiskey and smiling through the satisfying burn.

"You haven't even asked me what I am celebrating," he observed, pouring himself another glass from the bottle and topping off Apep's.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 04:19:53 AM »
Apep felt a strong hand squeeze his rump, and made pretty eyes at Laurent to indicate his pleasure. He needed a good shag, and he imagined Laurent would be good. He felt strange sitting next to Laurent. There was something about him that made Apep feel. The Scarei prided himself on detachment. It was good for business not to care. However, he wanted Laurent to like him. No. That wasn't it. He wanted Laurent to respect him and think him an equal. He... revered the other.

Apep was mildly disgusted at the realization, but figured this was one of those few times when he should go deeper, not pull away. Tender moments, however brief, separated neat monsters from messy ones. Tina returned, placing the bottle of whiskey next to Laurent, as well as two fresh glasses. She poured for each of them, and finished by placing an ice bucket between them.

"Hookah is being prepared now," she informed. "Should I inform Butler we have a VIP guest," she said looking at Laurent.

"No," Apep said, his tone suddenly more cruel, and his face filled with disqust. "Do I work for Butler?"

"Um, no sir. I just know he's in charge of the alcohol and such."

"Butler would have no interest in my guest, and my guest would have no interest in him. Move along before I make you work with Slytheira."

Tina moved away like lighting, leaving the two men alone again. "Sorry about that," Apep offered. "The help am I right?"

Now he had time to consider Laurent's last statement, and he decided to go with the most obvious reply. "So... what are you celebrating," he said, offering an apologetic smile for not asking before.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 04:43:19 AM »
Judging from the grin on his face, there was one thing Laurent took a special liking to: boasting.  Dark eyes twinkling dangerously, he leaned in close so his breath would be felt hot against the other man's neck.

"Soon I will be taking a Pretty Prize,"  he pulled pack to tip more whiskey into his mouth.  "Tell me," Laurent drew close in again, speaking low and sensual, "What would a fresh, near-millennium old soul be worth to you?"  The demon was not yet in the market for such exchanges, but if the price was enticing enough he could be convinced to trade. 

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 04:50:07 AM »
Apep contained the majority of his reaction, but Laurent would notice a lift of the snake's brow, and the tinniest curl of his lip.

"Oh Laurent," Apep joked. "And here I feared you didn't know me."

He turned his head, and now his lips and Laurent's were separated by the smallest amount of air. That kind of soul was worth more than Apep had to sell, but Laurent didn't need to know that. Value was subjective, and Apep had several things that were valuable.

"It would be worth quite a lot," Apep admitted. "More than our current deal allows for, but... you already knew that didn't you?"

He smiled wickedly. "I have a few magic items that would equal a trade of that size. Consider me intrigued."

The Hookah arrived, and and was placed between them, charcoal burning. Two hoses were presented. Apep grabbed the ice tip first, taking in a long pull from the hose. The blend was excellent, and he blew a trio of smoke rings, before handing the ice tip to Laurent.

"Cold smoke," he explained. "Ever tried it?"
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 05:12:43 AM »
Laurent's toothy grin only widened at the snake's answer.  Magical objects were in short supply in his world - his storage limited to flesh and souls, both of which he had aplenty.  But the prospect of adding an edge to his own abilities was a tantalizing one, and he almost regretted not having perused the objects in the pawnshop a little closer.  He watched as the Hookah was placed on the table, watching still as Apep wrapped his lips around the tip and sucked.  He shifted in his seat to accommodate his stirrings, and instead of answering the snake's question he took the tip and smoked.  Admitting inexperience was not something Laurent would ever do, not that it was, at this moment, true.

He too could blow smoke rings and did so lazily before returning the tip to the snake's fingers.

"Who do you work for?"  Va'tamal asked casually, though his eyes were bright and attentive.