Author Topic: Waiting  (Read 18572 times)

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2020, 05:21:22 PM »
Lisa-Joe had hoped her words would've inspired more resolve, but turned to Pierre to answer his question. The truth was she had no idea about blood bonds. She had one fledge who was dead, and although she felt a vague connection her sire - enough to know she was still alive - it provided her no knowledge on how one is weakened.

"Shit if I know," she said, shrugging her shoulders. "I don't like it though."

She watched Quinn and Rachel talk, but felt it would be intruding to get in the way of Chinese food. She had heard it was quite good. Instead, she looked to Pierre, and lightly punched his shoulder.

"It's good to see you cowboy," she admitted. "Not that I need men folk, but... I do need a friend."

She almost blushed, and turned her head back to Rachel to see how she was fairing.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 05:48:22 AM »
There was a flash of a smile -- appreciation at having her favorites remembered -- that vanished just as soon as it appeared. 

"I dunno," she sighed, taking quick stock of how her body felt.  "I'm pretty...nauseous I think.  So something lighter would probably be better..." she trailed off, eyes going back to the phone for the hundredth time.  "I'll just order something," she murmured half to herself, navigating to one of the food-delivery apps on her phone. 

It was good to be focussed on something else, but she kept the tracker app open on her phone anyway while she browzed through restaurant options.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 10:36:32 AM »
Quinn frowned, his eyes chasing the her attention to the phone. "Okay," he responded resigned to the knowledge that there was probably nothing that he could do to cheer her up. It wasn't some break up where a pint of ice cream would get them through it all, onto the next guy. Watching her like this brought up the reminder that he knew close to nothing about the past five years of her life. It hurt him deeply to not know this person in front of him. It was then that he became aware of the kind of misery that he had never endured before and that it had sewn itself in to the very fabric of the person she had become. Not the drunken rampages of Michael, not the beatings from his step-father, not even the death of his father had given him this kind of irreparable damage.

This was a matter of her life or death.

He stayed quiet for a moment, watching Rachel with the kind of hesitance of someone unsure of how to step next. There was nothing he could say to quell her fears of losing Damien or returning to a horrible life. There was nothing he could do to lift her mood or make her forget. There was nothing, nothing at all. He began to wonder how dangerous being in the Rabbit actually was for him and his thoughts flitted upon Malakai.

Quinn found his hand on the bottle of whiskey as he was pouring the shot, pulled from his reverie by the sound of what he was doing. He poured two shots sloppy, not bothering to weigh his seconds against his pour. Proper measurements wouldn't matter tonight, he figured. With a head in the clouds and the feeling of watching himself from some outside perspective, Quinn circled the bar with both shots in hand and sat down in the stool next to Rachel, scooting it closer so that he was touching her side when he sat. He took the first shot without hesitation, grimacing against the burn and choke of a rough whiskey he hardly drank. But it was warmth that followed, chasing amber liquor down his throat and echoing from his chest until his tension eased.

"I'm so sorry, Rache." About everything: all of the bad things, the bad people, the bad memories, the fear, the humiliation, the anger... But is lips couldn't find the strength to name such atrocities. Naming them, for Quinn, would mean that they were true. And he didn't want them to be true of his Rachel, the one who smiled big and helped him steal laundry soap from the grocery store when they were poor. The one who tiptoed quietly to her room when she knew he had a guy over. The one who tucked him in at night and checked on him every few hours after he had tried to call his own life quits. She had always been too good for the world and he hated that someone had the ability to reduce her to nothing.

He didn't bother to look at her, but threw an appreciative arm around her shoulders and pulled her gently closer. Quinn rested his cheek against the top of her forehead, hoping that she would remain there and let him do what he could to ground her, instead of pushing him away.

-----

Pierre pursed his lips thoughtfully as they hit a dead end on the sire bond trail. Maybe it didn't mean anything at all, and that Sam was just getting further away from the connection. Maybe it worked like that sometimes.

When her playful punch came, he tried not to start, his nerves getting the best of him. Shen looked away from his just as he had found her gaze on him again and he wondered a ridiculous thought. Pierre smirked at her tiredly, but thankful to have her to jest with, even if it was about nothing in particular.

"I'm glad you're here with me," he said truthfully, though presently unaware of any impact his words may have caused anyone. "I really wasn't looking forward to spending the rest of the night alone." He leaned towards her, his nose coming close enough to her hair to allow him the pleasure of her scent. It had been a few months since he had been so close to another woman who wasn't Nadia and Pierre couldn't say that he minded the proximity of Lisa-Joe all that much. He spoke into her ear just below human hearing to her in an attempt at a jest, though the humor neither filled nor comforted him. "Rachel doesn't tend to be good company when she's worried for hers or Damien's life."

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2020, 09:08:48 AM »
Lisa-Joe smirked at Pierre's dark humor concerning Rachel. She knew she shouldn't laugh, but being a veteran of more than one war, she understood better than most that it was better to laugh sometimes, then to cry. She saw a pool table open, and considered dragging Pierre over. They had a score to settle, and she needed to think about anything other than Jake, Sam or the rest of it. Rachel looked soothed by Quinn, and the mortal rose in her estimation because of it. She could take them all below to the rabbit warrens, but she reconsidered, not wanting Rachel to feel trapped.

"Rachel, anything you want to do? I know it's all distractions and crap, but it's better than hitting refresh on your app. Trust me."

They could do karaoke, paint each other's nails (including Pierre) or any old thing. She didn't have a good band tonight, but maybe she could call Jerry and see what he was doing. Tyler was out of the question for obvious reasons. 
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2020, 09:59:54 AM »
"Don't apologize," she murmured, relaxing in Quinn's affectionate hold.  He was too good of a friend, really.  Being apart for as long as they had didn't change that.  Her finger dashed along her phone screen for a moment longer, deciding to go with her usual from the place that Quinn was talking about from before -- she'd at least pick slowly at it.  She made no effort to hide her phone from Quinn's view, refreshing the app twice again before putting it face down on the table.

Turning at the sound of her name, she gave Lisa-Joe a weak smile.  "Yeah, I know," there was a mirthless chuckle before she continued.  "I'd like a distraction--something more engaging than moping."  There was a darkness in her eyes, and she averted them for a moment to her phone on the bar.  Her fingers itched to check the app again but she resisted. 

"You play cards?"  The thought seemed to lift her spirits for a second, and she cast a knowing glance (and smirk) at Pierre.  "Unless you can think of something better?"  This question was directed at Quinn, who she'd decided she would steal from work because it was an emergency after all.  And it wasn't like there was really anyone at the bar tonight.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2020, 11:06:11 AM »
Quinn snickered, the innate need to lighten the mood filtering into his response with grandeur before he could think better of it. "This is the White Rabbit, Rache," he reminded her with a brief wave of his hand. "We'd better have something better than just playing cards in here!" Thinking about Tommy, who was set up as one of the dancers tonight, Quinn looked over at the blonde vampire with a twinkle of mischief in his eye. "I'm assuming going up to the strip tease upstairs is off limits?"

"I'd say so," Pierre responded with a light flavoring of humor, his gorgeous lips turning upwards into an attractive, albeit weary, smirk that threatened to put a flush of heat into Quinn's cheeks.

"Are you sure?" Quinn poked further playfully, attempting to suss out what team the blonde played for. While it was obvious that LJ had some kind of something for him, he wasn't convinced that Pierre wasn't a switch hitter, playing for both teams. "You can come up too, you know. I know some of the guys would love to show off for a new face."

He let out a laugh that proved what Quinn already suspected: Pierre must have been the only straight vampire in the damn city. Figures. "Maybe another time. For tonight I need Rachel within sight."

Quinn sighed and rested his head back on Rachel's shoulder. "I guess cards it is, then," he grumbled. "Unless you two are going to entertain us..." He turned hopefully to Lisa-Joe with raised, expectant eyebrows.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2020, 09:17:55 AM »
"I'm too good at cards for ya'll," she said confidently. "Got tons of practice as a proper lady."

She remembered so many shitty garden parties where the women had been forced to play Bridge, Rummy, and other tireless games. She'd always preferred smoke filled rooms, where she could strip men of their valuables through charm and good playing. She thought she should tell Pierre they had plenty of women dancers too, but that was counterproductive to her own needs. She was fine with being the most attractive women near Pierre. Rachel didn't count. She was spoken for anyways.

She enjoyed the confusion brought on by Quinn, and followed it up with, "How you're as old as you are without getting on your knees for at least one cock I don't know," she said, not shying away from the graphic nature. "Don't get me wrong, it gets tedious after a while, and they never appreciate it as much as they should." She smiled coyly at him, and turned to see Quinn's expectant face. She considered what might be fun.

"Pierre and I can always beat the crap out of one another. He's older, but I'm meaner so I think it's a fair fight."

And she really did.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2020, 07:47:44 AM »
Rachel paled at the thought of watching a fight, especially while she was terrified that was what Damien was walking into, and took a hasty sip of water.  She met Quinn's eye long enough for him to catch on before looking down at her phone again.

"Food's gonna be here in like 45 minutes," she spoke lowly and only to Quinn, "You mind grabbing it for me when they get here?"