Author Topic: Polovtsian Dances  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
  • Mind my wicked words and tipsy topsy slurs
    • View Profile
Polovtsian Dances
« on: January 21, 2020, 09:38:58 PM »
Open

Dreki felt like he needed a break, a break from everything. He made his way to the beach this night, mostly because he didn't want to deal with the fear of falling off the cliffs, but wanted to enjoy the sound of the water. He'd never quite been to the beach before. As a child his father forbade it, as an adult, well, he was so tied up with the facility, that he didn't really feel too comfortable changing up his schedule until the past few months.

As he stepped onto the sand, his foot sank down slightly, yielding to the softness of the sand. He felt unsteady at first walking onto it, but nowhere near falling. As he continued forward, the sensation that he was kicking up dirt behind him was unusual, but it was the softness he wanted. While close enough to hear the water, and to see where the water hit the sand, yet still far enough that he wasn't at any risk of getting wet, he sat down on the sand, with his knees pulled up to his chest, his arms lightly wrapped around his legs, and chin resting on his knees.

He thought about this past week and what an unforgiving whirlwind it was. He started talking to Sam again, started to try things again, but a day later and Sam yet again ran from him. For a Full Angel. An Angel he pulled toward Sam with his weirdness. In his hurt he did something he never imagined he would have. Sure it wasn't the first time he had gone to a bar to seek out some kind of fun, but it was the first time it was with someone who was his boss. Someone with quite a bit of power and leverage against him.

He was angry that Jake knew the Facility existed, and sent someone who clearly couldn't have done anything on his own, to investigate it. As much as he cared about Drew, he knew that if it wasn't for Charon, Jeanne, and everyone else, that Drew wouldn't have even been able to breech the boarders. It's probably why Drew didn't even do much until they got involved in the first place. Charon was also a District Leader and he did have a very hard time believing that the two of them don't interact or even communicate on some sort of a small level. Jake could have just told Charon and have had that be that. He really hoped that Ben would win this upcoming election because someone like Jake shouldn't be in power.

Part of him wanted to call Jeanne and see if she would be willing to chat or hang out, but at the same time, he didn't want to burden her with his issues. After all she had been very gracious and kind to him, he just didn't feel comfortable talking to her only when he had problems.

He leaned back, back far enough that his back hit the sand and he now was looking up at the sky. It looked even more empty and vast than the ocean did. He wondered if there were stars out tonight. He allowed his legs to straighten out so he lied down flat as he just stared upwards, lost in his own thoughts, debating what steps to take from here to start be happy. He knew he needed to make a change of some kind, he just wasn't sure what at this point.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
Re: Polovtsian Dances
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 09:21:21 AM »
Red feathers fluttering, spread wide. Updrafts catching their kite, wheeling him above the ocean. The breeze caressing his body, the lover who knew his intimate secrets. When scorned, dropped him like a stone. Taut muscles pulled wings inward, diving down, down, down, twisting, arms crossing his chest, then, wings stretched out, peeling upward. Eyes closed, better to feel pressures of the air.

The beach below the La Verona caves was at high tide, water pounding mercilessly against sheer cliffs, the cave a gaping maw, unreachable and private. An endless vista of ocean, ocean, ocean, passive without the earth to battle. Peace. Freedom. His solitary existence yearned for moments like this.

Hairs prickled his skin where they stood. Eyes wide and fearful, head rotating, body turning, wings beating, hovering. Daggers in hand, summoned. Nothing but stars and moon and sky. Nothing but ocean and sand. Nothing but wait! There. No radiance. It couldn’t be. Nothing else around.

Flying in circles, cautious. Dipping down and backing away at slight movement. Landing a distance away, out of sound but not sight. Angel sense strengthens but also weakens. What? Approaching without urgency, weapons placed in his belt.

Close now, his bare feet sure in the sucking ground. A familiar sensation. No noise other than falling golden grains from the tops of his feet and between his toes. Cushioning and cool. Three metres of distance is enough.

Meaning to be challenging, his voice came out as intrigue instead, betraying his truth.

“Did you kill an angel and drink their blood?” he asked, eyes wide and wary. If this creature could kill an angel then there was nothing to stop it killing him.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 03:29:33 PM »
He was beginning to relax, hearing the water move forward and back from the shoreline. It always sounded wavy regardless if he was up on the cliffs or even down here on the beach itself. It was curious to him, and he wondered if the ocean was ever calm. But his own calmness was upended when he caught a glimpse of something else in the sky. He couldn't quite make it out at first, he sat up to get a better view.

When it grew closer, he could tell it was likely something living, an angel, after all, what else has those feathered wings and person shaped? For a moment he wondered if it was Remi, but when it got even closer, he noticed the outline shape was different. Different enough for him to know it was someone different at the very least, but not any fine details. He had apparently been meeting angels left and right this week, but something felt off about this. He had felt instant comfort around Remi, probably more than he should given his current own internal feelings for Sam, and with his one, he felt instant discomfort. He would have normally dismissed the feeling, at least gave a chance to anyone that approached him, but noticing what seemed to be small blades in this other angel's hands as they were circling above him, caused him to not dismiss this feeling of his.

His gut was clearly telling him something, screaming to get out of there. He had a feeling if he ran off that he'd be chased down so he decided against that. Instead he stood up entirely as the angel was landing. While standing, he put his phone from his left front pocket, to his right, and kept his hands in his pockets. While it was in his pocket, he set it to vibrate then navigated to the Maps app while it was in his pocket as it sat on his home screen anyway, he doesn't change the initial app layout of his phone when he gets new ones, and this time he was thankful for that. He had pulled up the screen where he could share his location with others, put his phone on silent, then turned off the screen. He didn't want to request help now if he didn't actually need any, but it was ready to go at a moment's notice.

When the angel landed a ways away, he removed his hands from his pockets at that point. He didn't want to come off as threatening in any way if he could help it. When the angel sheathed whatever they were holding, he felt slightly better, but the question, now that threw him off.

"No," he stated, the look on his face could have come off as offended, but it was more a mix of discomfort and confused, his lack of fangs would have shown as he spoke, "I'm not a Vampire." He added, not thinking of anything else that would even want to drink someone else's blood. Three meters already felt too close for him. His responses were direct and short in words, his tone and even body language with a defensive edge to it.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 08:13:41 PM »
"Of course you are not, blood changes inside them."

A narrowed stare at the figure, a cock of the head, a shirk of legs as he moved along the sand, not moving closer but around.

"You have been healed by an angel?" Words were asked dubiously, Adagio's tone reflecting that he did not think this was the case.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 08:39:15 PM »
"I'm part angel." He stated, not really wanting to give away he may or may not know another angel. He was recently healed by Remi, but he could tell by tone of voice that this angel didn't really stand behind their question. He knew he was odd, he's been asked what he is to his face enough times for him to not be bothered by it, and his background in how he became this way was fairly unique. He'd actually be surprised if he met someone else who was also a human who was experimented on and only augmented with angel DNA. He stood his ground, keeping his eyes on the angel moving around him, he wasn't sure what to expect but he wasn't a fan of this standoff.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2020, 10:37:03 PM »
Adagio, in the middle of rounding the strange creature, stopped so he could gape.

"Part? There is no such thing. If an angel mates with a human--" He stopped halfway through his sentence and groaned a long 'oh', one that is commonly associated with dawning realisation. "I have never met your kind before, only heard the tales. Are you supposed to not know about yourself? How old are you?"

Rapid fire questions. Adagio took two steps closer and one step back, his expression contorted, his mouth twisting, nose wrinkling. He smacked his mouth and lips like he tasted something foul. He took another step back and the expression neutralised.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 12:02:23 AM »
He noticed the angel's mistake, in thinking that he was just a guardian angel. He didn't mention anything as he didn't feel it important to point out the gross underestimation that this angel just did. He's also never met one, only read them fleetingly in a book looking up other information.

"I'm 29 years old," He answered noticing an odd expression on the angel's face. It was far enough that he couldn't make out anything superfine, such as the wrinkles on the angel's nose, but the noise and movement of the mouth, and how it affected the nose, pushing the nostrils upwards for a moment, how a step back was taken even after moving closer, he could tell there was a sense of disgusted there.

"What does it matter if I know about myself or not?" He then asked, a mild sense of possible annoyance shown through tone that time. He never had someone treat him with that amount of disrespect just based on what he was. It angered him, and made him want to leave this situation even more.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 12:54:19 AM »
Eyes narrowed at the age announced.

"They are not supposed to know, but you are not them," Adagio said to the angel-thing. He pointed to the wings which looked too narrow upon the creature's back. "Can you fly with those? Are they yours or do you borrow them from another? They do not look like they are really here."

Hands moved to his temples, rubbing them. Confusion. "What is your purpose?"

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 01:51:37 AM »
He frowned, realizing that such underestimation didn't last very long. That his wings gave him away despite them not even being out right now. He had a thought of maybe all the times he'd seen Remi, that Remi didn't always have the wings out. He wondered if this Angel purposefully had theirs out at all or not.

"I can fly, yes." He responded, "I don't have a specific purpose beyond just being myself. If you're asking why I'm here, I just wanted to spend time on the beach."

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2020, 02:01:53 AM »
"No," Adagio blinked at the angel-thing. "What is your purpose. Your objective."

His hands lowered from his temples and he clasped the hilts of the daggers in his belt. He took a step backwards, wings unfolding due to the tension in his muscles. He shivered.

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2020, 09:31:37 AM »
He didn't like where this was going one bit, but he wasn't fully sure what this angel was asking of him.

"My objective is to relax on the beach, ponder life a bit, then leave." He responded as he kept his hands at his side, his physical stance had yet to change at all since their interaction beyond Dreki turning to always be facing this angel as they moved around him. He mentally prepared for the worst by mentally making sure right hand ever ready to go into his pocket with his left ever ready to grab his sword. He knew he couldn't win a fight against a full angel of any kind, that he may be able defend himself for a while, he was taught how to fight with his sword in the facility although it was with a decoy sword since his used to burn him back in the day. Given how this one was reacting to him, he wondered if they were Dark or Fallen because Remi had responded to him with curiosity and Remi was an angel of light. He wondered if there was a way to even find that out.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »
"A short term answer for a short shelf life," Adagio spat, growing increasingly more agitated as told by his body language. "Don't be obtuse. I don't care if your mission is secret."

Peeling his gaze away and refocussing on the ocean at the angel-thing's back, Adagio's next questions were calmer.

"Who made you? Why did they?"

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2020, 01:48:10 PM »
"My mission isn't secret, it no longer exists. The people who made me like this no longer exist. It's in the past and I've put it all behind me. I'm not being obtuse, I'm telling you the truth." He responded, sounding a mixture of scared and exasperated at this point. This angel just threatened to kill him, he certainly wasn't going to come back to these beach ever again if he made it out alive. He didn't really want to explain the why of it knowing that it would be bad for him, even though he was a victim in the whole mess of it all himself. He moved his hands, the thumb of each hand now say in it's respective pocket. He wanted to go for his phone without making it too obvious, and now is working slowly working towards that.

Offline Pocky

• Wordsmith
  • Salty & Sweet
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2020, 03:01:10 PM »
Adagio made thinking noises as he considered the answers.

"You failed. You failed your mission and now you're stuck." With sudden wide eyes and a grimace of a smile he continued. "I can help you get unstuck. I can show you how to grow your power. Even if you stay part and not whole it will still grow." He made a gesture with his hands, cupping them together and then pulling them apart with spreading fingers. It could've meant something was growing or that a planet or sphere was exploding.

"Nobody helped me. I had to figure it out and I went too far. Much too far. I had to look at history! But I've figured out how to grow it since then. Lots of different ways. If only I knew at the start. But I can help you. Nnnnah! You need to change if you stay down here. Don't you know?"

Offline Maxpphire

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2020, 03:32:27 PM »
Those words struck a chord with Dreki. Hofflan had always called him a failure, he had felt he failed Emma. He didn't feel stuck but he did want to learn how to use his powers better. He had looked for help from Remi but hadn't heard back yet, and honestly, didn't know when he'd hear back. Meanwhile right now someone was offering to be his help, his guide.

The only things that stuck out to him in a bad way was that this Angel mentioned that they had gone too far, and that he'd need to change to stay. He'd been like this for 11 years now. He had an idea however. What becomes of an angel when they change? Fallen or Dark. He didn't like that premise and fed into his uncomfortableness. The offer was still very highly tempting.

"Can, I have some time to think on it?" his tone pensive. He couldn't come up with an answer right now, he was otherwise too conflicted within his own thoughts.