Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Soaring Dragon, Singing Blades  (Read 33588 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Soaring Dragon, Singing Blades
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2008, 10:33:21 PM »
Teyne was surprised by the concern for Eilzair that she felt on the way back to the manor; in fact, she hurried back as quickly as she could.  She\'d felt that he was upset by the conversation with Daheiyna, but also by the acknowledgment of the cult.  She doubted he\'d want to talk about it but she was compelled to be near him anyway.

She was stunned to find the open door within the house when she got back, having had some idea of a power core within the place but no concept that that was what was hidden there.  The garden was beautiful but she hovered near the entranceway, seeing that Eilzair was collapsed and fearful of disturbing him.  Better that she simply watch... and wait.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • The Relentless Muse Blog
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2008, 10:43:58 PM »
Eilzair could feel a life-form approaching, a blip of energy coming through the barren of the manor, towards the pristine garden.  He did not look up, temple pressed to the cool grass, eyes only half open.  When the person stopped at the door, he knew it was Teyne.  The druid would have come in uninvited.  It was dark in the garden, vines and branches from the trees at the edges of the garden having grown to cover most of the hole in the roof, which had bathed the garden with light at one time.

Shirak.” The word was barely a whisper upon his lips, the crystalline globes suspended on the surface of the water coming to glow a faint white.  Eilzair touched the tombstone, gloves not allowing him to feel the texture of the stone.  Sighing, he forced himself to sit up, using his arms to push, slowly getting him to a fifty-degree angle.  Eilzair turned his head, just enough to see Teyne.

“I am not strong enough to confront them yet.”

The words sounded hollow, with the slightest echo trailing off each one.  The garden was otherwise completely silent.  It was like all sound had been sucked at, as though water gurgling or bird singing would desecrate the hallowed location.  Eilzair considered it sacred, at least.  Iseth was laid to rest beside where he was, deep under the soil.  He was safe down there.

Eilzair could feel his arms trembling, forcing himself to sit the rest of the way up, legs coiling to cross so the position was not so awkward.  His wings remained out.  Eilzair did not feel like battling with them right now.  Making them go away would be as much of a strain as getting them out had been.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

Lord Kysis Liari (Ένας πεσμένος ήρωας.),
Fenwick Baldor (Song, wine, and a bit of trouble),
Calista Liari (Θραύσματα Ομορφιά)

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
Taking his speech as a cue that she was welcome to walk in and be near him, Teyne nevertheless undid her sword belt and left it, her quiver, daggers and bow at the doorway.  She felt the inherent magic in the place and didn\'t dare risk broaching it in some way.  Quietly, she then walked into the cemetery and sat on the grass opposit Eilzair.  Well, she was catercorner to him more then face to face, also cross-legged but with her hands dangling in the gap between her legs so that she didn\'t reach out and touch his wings.

She really wanted to touch them.

Her gaze was somewhat lingering but she didn\'t state her desire, forcing her gaze to meet his instead.  "I don\'t think she expects you to be.  But maybe, with me there, she believes we can at least ascertain whether or not they\'re where she believes them to be.  Not necessarily confront them.  Are they all... casters?" she asked sombrely, realising that the limited amount of spells she knew wouldn\'t do much against highly experienced mages but that her blades would do just fine against any that weren\'t extraordinarily high.  She could only suppose she and Eilzair might be well matched in that respect; she the physical, he the metaphysical.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2008, 11:35:38 PM »
He watched her carefully, having to turn his head to the other side as she came around.  There were parts of him screaming to say quiet, to shut his mouth, not speak a word of what was swirling through his head, not to trust her, not to even allow her in the room.  Spells sprouted up into his mind, dancing about this thoughts, taunting him with the want for release.  Eilzair forced them back.  The human side of him forced them back.  The human side of him wanted to talk, to say it all.  A middle line was found.

Not moving his eyes off her, Eilzair listened, his ears taking in the tones of each word, assigning meaning in his distracted mind.  His mind was on the garden, on the lights hanging about it, the energy pulsing within that place.  It was a calm energy, soothing.  It was what Eilzair remembered about Iseth\'s aura.  Even after death, it lingered.

"Some of them have magic.  Only the higher ups.  The lowers use knives..."  The knives, he remembered them quite clearly.  Beneath his leather suit he was scarred.  Eilzair looked down at the grassy ground, right wing flicking to cast the water off it before folding again.  He did not want to remember it.  Finally hunting them would force him to.

Of course, he had been trying, if only in feeble spurts, hunting down magic users whom had even a slight connection with the cult, interrogating them, flaying them.  Eilzair cringed.  He was capable of evil, very capable.  Daheiyna had right to be worried.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2008, 11:42:23 PM »
She was distracted also, by his wing flicking, drawing her gaze and holding it.  They really were beautiful things, up close, even if they made her feel afraid and so awed she felt she wouldn\'t be able to lift a finger in defense of herself against them.  Having him hold her while he flew had been a blur of sensations that she\'d not beeen prepared for, had had difficulty appreciating because of the sudden scariness of it.  She regretted that.

Eventually, her forest-toned gaze rolled back to meet his and she shrugged.  "We\'d likely do alright, then.  Assuming you were able to see them without being crippled by your memories," she offered quietly, thinking it was likely.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2008, 01:24:53 AM »
"I have been hunting their agents for the last two years."

And the year before that, he had been in captivity.  Eilzair was not sure he could do it.  He had been able to face their agents outside of their home territory, in cities away from Rineva, the epicenter.  How would he feel, seeing the cage he had been held in, seeing the pit he had been thrown into with ravenous monsters, facing the people whom had tortured him into sprouting his wings?  His eyes had a far away look in them, and behind them, all of those things which had happened.

Taking a deep breath, Eilzair closed his eyes, inclining his head upwards.  There was a soft breeze, coming from somewhere.  Where, Eilzair did not know.  The garden was closed in from everywhere but above.  A chill ran over his arms and up his spine.

He was trying to make excuses for himself, for why he could do it while at the same time knowing he could not, and saying that too.  Eilzair was confusing himself.  His wings rustled, hanging so they wrapped just slightly around his sides, in an almost protective gesture.  Eilzair did not trust it.  Red dragons never had good intentions.

"I followed one lead to Thorrian and found nothing when I got there." That mage had promised Eilzair information, and then tried to take him.  Eilzair did not feel a drop of remorse for killing the man.  The man was just as bad as the cult.  His intentions almost labeled him as part of it.

This was the most he had talked to anyone since Iseth\'s death.  It felt strange.  His voice was slightly hoarse, but still bore the rolling tones of the elven he had been raised with.  Yet, he refused to speak in elven.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2008, 06:59:16 AM »
"Two years... " Teyne murmured thoughtfully, certain that those wings were taunting her with their ever-increasing proximity to Eilzair\'s body and where she sat, close to his knee.  If she only leaned herself to the side a little... but that would seem odd to the man, whom she would fall to lean against.  It would look as if she were attempting to hold him to comfort him and she didn\'t think he\'d like that.  She wasn\'t certain he\'d permit any contact, friendly or not, despite the fact they\'d touched before.  Still, his eyes were closed, he mightn\'t see it coming enough to stop her.

"But you\'ve been working for different people in that time, doing as much as you can in order to become stronger," she hazarded, knowing that this was just a summary statement but not really what she needed to hear about.  She needed to be told the actual story so she could understand what they might be up against... she needed to know that he wanted to pursue these people, for she didn\'t feel that he did.  She needed to tell him that was okay, too.

Following her instincts, she reached a hand forward and tentatively touched the part of him that was closest to her, his knee.  She wasn\'t bold enough to cup or squeeze or anything so intimate, she merely wanted to make contact with him so her fingertips rested gently upon the material of his clothes.  "I have no idea what happened to you.  Only that they imprisoned you and killed Iseth.  But if you don\'t want to go after them, you shouldn\'t," she told him huskily, watching his eyelids.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2008, 07:46:51 AM »
“I need to.” Eilzair let his gaze drift over to the simple yet at the same time ornate headstone, opening his eyes only when he could see the writing on it.  He had tensed for only a moment when he felt the fingers upon his knee, those spells manifesting in his mind though he stopped any from projected outward.  He had an obsessive guard he kept up at all times.  This place was safe, though.  This was a place where he could, if only for a few moments, let that guard down… like he had with Iseth.  He felt like Iseth was listening, at least.

What wouldn’t I give for freedom
For a friendly world laid bare
What wouldn’t I give to break these bonds
And live without a care…

Eilzair took a deep breath, looking down at her fingers, how gentle they were.  Her bonds had been broken.  Though there were no actual chains, he felt tied down.  The emerald sky looked so close yet at the same time unreachable, even when he flew towards it.  There was no way to actually reach it.  First he had to do this.

Then he realized what he had just said.  Eilzair blinked a few times, glow in his eyes intensifying.  It was from his favorite poem, something which he had liked from his days in Laflis.  Now it struck a cord with him.  A firm, deep cord.  Eilzair swallowed back his sudden, unexplained nervousness. “It’s a poem….” He felt the need to say it.  The quiet felt awkward.  It almost felt like Iseth was laughing at him, though that couldn’t be.  Iseth was dead, buried six feet below them.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »
She smiled appprovingly at him - only a little smile, but an indulgent lifting of the corners of her mouth nevertheless. Her fingertips stroked lightly as she contemplated the poem, pleased that he hadn\'t shoved her hand away, despite that tension she\'d sensed when her touch registered. It was a step towards feeling his wings (and, of course, her gaze sidled briefly in that direction at the thought, before returning to his glowing eyes), which he might perhaps let her do one day, if she proved herself innocently curious about them. And trustworthy.

"I understand," she told him simply, "but it\'s also true, for you. I understand the compulsion to do right by him, too," she added, looking at the headstone nearby. She frowned, recalling that burning need to set things right... the one that had, essentially destroyed her life. "I have a cousin. Sila is her name. We\'ve been inseparable since we were born, she\'s my best friend. One night, a man took her from the family\'s store and he... held her against her will." Funny, but Teyne hadn\'t realised it would be so hard to talk about, after so long, but her throat was constricted around a lump of emotion that was causing tears to burn in her eyes. She remained staring steadfastly at the grave, even though Eilzair would hear it. He didn\'t need to see the distress in her eyes as well.

"When he was done torturing her, he let her go. She was a shell. I killed him. That was where I met Zaruul and he witnessed it. He threatened to turn my entire family into corpses and leave me to rot in a jail cell, if I didn\'t do as he wanted. I... had to leave them then. She\'s pregnant but... I left her. It didn\'t work out as it was supposed to, but I\'d kill him again and again, for her. I understand need." She swallowed, jaw clenched as she stared unseeingly at the headstone, unaware her hand was gripping his knee now. Most nights, she woke screaming Sila\'s name, but she wasn\'t ready to go back. Maybe, once she helped Eilzair get through his restraints, she\'d feel ready enough to do it.

For now, she lived with the knowledge of her betrayal - noble as it might have seemed on the surface - and tried to accommodate that within herself somehow.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2008, 12:35:41 PM »
Eilzair listened closely, quietly to the story, unable to look away from Teyne as she spoke it.  There was hurt in those words, glistening in those eyes.  She was telling him something very private.  Eilzair was surprised, what opening up just a little had done.  With Iseth, there had been no bridge, no chasm.  Anything and everything which happened during the day had been shared with Iseth, no matter how mundane or confusing.  Iseth was the only person Eilzair had had that with.

He found himself nodding, unable to look away from her.  He had entirely forgotten about her hand, not noticing the motion it made, though it subconsciously comforted him, in a way.  Eilzair did not know what to say.  It had been the act of helping another which enslaved her.  Eilzair did not have such a story, with good intentions behind it.  At the time, there had been no intentions other than power, other than peace.  Running away from the elves, Eilzair had managed to find Iseth, the city of Rineva.  He begged Iseth to take him in, the only time Eilzair had ever supplicated himself to another person.  At the time, Eilzair had seen Iseth as a golden winged angel.

“It was after a long day of practicing.  Both of us were tired, had spent ourselves magically, physically.  That is when they attacked….” Eilzair’s fingers threaded through the long, green strands of grass, tangling there.  It was all replaying in his mind.  His tongue was unwilling but spoke anyway.  Iseth would not approved of him trying to remain so anonymous, so shrouded by shadow.  He had to speak. “Iseth ordered me to run, said he would distract them.  I disobeyed him.  I took my sword and tried to fight them, to keep them away from Iseth.  It was my fault he died.  He leapt in front of a blow meant for me…”

A grouping of five magic missiles slammed into Iseth’s chest, dead on.  They had been locked on Eilzair.  The cult did not care about the fledgling dragon disciple, wingless, powerless.  But, they killed Iseth in that attack.  He had already been injured, was staggering with every step.  And then the magic hit him.  Iseth was useless dead, so they left him there, upon the charred ground in the library, taking Eilzair instead.  He still could not remember what happened just after the missiles hit Iseth.  It was all black, until he woke up in a cage, deep underground.

“When I woke up, they started torturing me.” Eilzair swallowed the lump which had formed in his throat.  He was trembling all over.  He had never told anyone this.  He tried not to think about it himself.  There was no chance for that anymore.  No running away.  Iseth was listening. “They would cut me, and burn me, and then when I could take no more, they threw me into a pit with these beasts and make me fight.  I spent an entire year down there… I sprouted my wings down there, and escaped while they were in chaos.”

His voice still had those hollow tones, but there was the edge of fear behind each word.  Eilzair could still remember it too clearly.  It was not that long ago.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2008, 12:51:06 PM »
The horror of what he\'d endured caused her to fret; she\'d felt just as helpless when imagining what Sila had been through, had wished herself in her cousin\'s place and found she was easily as sympathetic towards Eilzair.  She could imagine it all too clearly, her gaze roving from his face to his body, imagining what lay beneath his clothes.  Nothing so beautiful as his wings, that was for certain, not after a year of cutting and burning.

"By the Gods," she whispered, her angst over the situation causing her to drop into Elven without notice.  It was too hard to think about, to look at him and imagine and do nothing.  She fidgetted, feeling useless and helpless but strongly desiring to comfort him.  Words would do nothing against the images in her mind, however; they would never quell the horror that had been his life.  No wonder he was so against any sort of enslavement.

"I\'m sorry," she told him (still speaking in Elven).  She wanted to hug him but... didn\'t dare.  The best she could do was wriggle closer to him and press her forehead to his shoulder, both of her hands upon his thigh and her own legs curled away behind her.  She was very close to his wing like this, but she wasn\'t doing it deliberately, she just didn\'t know what else to say or do to help him.  Was she any help to him?  "They deserve to die.  We must make that happen."

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »
Eilzair had to hold his breath not to tense as she spoke in elven and moved closer.  It took a few moments to calm himself, squeezing his eyes shut.  The elven words filtered into his mind, seeming far more familiar than the common he had been speaking for the last ten years of his life.

His right wing moved out, wrapping around Teyne\'s side like an arm around her shoulder, just scaly and red and not arm-shaped.  Eilzair could not make himself speak in common, his own words coming out in elven, flowing like clear spring water.  It felt right. "I do not need your pity.  I need your sword."

The words were crisp, crystalline in meaning.  Eilzair knew exactly what he wanted at that moment.  It was not some vague concept of power.  Revenge.  Eilzair released the ball of grass he had been gripping like it was life itself, flexing his hand so it did not ache so.  Revenge.  For Iseth, for what they did, for what they were still no doubt planning on doing.  Freedom, it sounded like a foreign concept to him.  He had not been free with the elves.  They always looked at him like he was the plague.  He had not been free with the humans.  They stared at him with the force of daggers, ignorant hatred.  He was not free now.  The cult was still out there.

"I want to investigate the crypts as soon as possible...."
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2008, 01:14:25 PM »
Well, if his wing hadn\'t touched her, she might have been able to stay focussed on the task at hand, on the fact that he\'d responded in Elven and it made her ache for home so intensely she was almost winded.  But then his wing covered her and she held her breath, pulling away from his shoulder to look at it in wonderment.

"I\'m ready when you are," she said in her native tongue, looking at the wing around her right arm.  She could feel it at her back with an intensity she\'d not expected; she couldn\'t resist it any longer.  She reached over with her left hand and stroked the flat of her palm down the outside of the crimson skin, staring intently at the scales to be sure she was following them and not going against, revelling in the reptilian feel being communicated through her skin.

She\'d quite forgotten to breathe.

Offline Kysis

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2008, 01:24:41 PM »
When she pulled away from his shoulder, Eilzair looked sharply at her, not wanting her to go.  It had been his wing, he knew it.  Most people did not even realize his kind were possible, so the wing must have frightened her.  For some reason, all of these thoughts were whirling through his head, too fast to grasp any of them further than knowing they were there.  Eilzair almost pulled his wing away from her, to right the supposed wrong.

And then she touched it.

A ripple ran through his nerves, a sensation he had never felt before.  No one had ever touched his wings.  That, and no one had really had contact with him.  Eilzair always tried avoiding people, contact with them, attachment.  All the more since Iseth had died.  That day\'s contact with Teyne had probably been the most he had ever had.  It was confusing.  Eilzair did not quite understand the shiver he got from her hand running across the scales of his wing.  He watched that motion with curiosity, trying to puzzle out what it was, why it was.

"Why..." the elven word was formed, but little else came from his lips.  There were too many ends to that question for him to finish it.  However she answered would open up the doors to exactly what else he wished to say.  Eilzair had no idea at the moment.
Μεταξύ λάμψη και τρέλα

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2008, 01:31:24 PM »
"I\'m sorry," she said hastily, snatching her hand back and tucking it into her lap, blushing as she looked downwards and then sideways, up at him through her lashes.  The colour didn\'t fade as she sheepishly met his gaze, trying to fathom a way to answer him that would meet the requirement set out by his single utterance, as well as explain why she\'d done what she had.

"I mean no offence, I\'m sorry," she confessed, not quite sure why she felt so embarrassed... like she\'d been caught doing something wrong.  "They\'re just... so beautiful, I couldn\'t help it.  Not when they were so close, I... " she trailed off, looking down at her lap again, then sidling another look to the side, towards his wing.  One little touch hadn\'t been enough, she yearned to move behind him and trace them completely with her hands (and, to her mortification, her face.  To feel them against her cheek would be...).

She cleared her throat, expecting to be rebuked.