Welcome, Guest.

Author Topic: Unannounced Assistance  (Read 9942 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Unannounced Assistance
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:08:45 AM »
[reserved for Uzaki]

SAMUEL PEERED AROUND the corner of the hallway, checking it for movement and seeing none.  It was late and the South Wing housed the academy workers; groundskeepers, cooks, cleaners and other maintenance workers that helped keep the place in order.

Those that were on current shift were not in their rooms or moving about in the housing section.  Those that were not on shift, slept.  He turned the corner and padded quickly and silently to the next corridor which he checked and then entered, counting doors in a place which he knew housed visitors.

When he got to the seventh door on his right, he gave one last quick glance up the empty corridor to ensure nobody was watching, then a minute glance down before crouching at the lock and removing the tools from his pocket that would help him pick it.  The lock was simple and the soft scratching at the metal locking device was hopefully not loud enough to alarm the occupant within.

He slipped inside, just managing to close the door softly behind him when he was attacked from the side, punched in the stomach and grabbed by the arm where his assailant attempted to twist it around behind his back.  He fought back and fought well, though the occupant of the room was far his superior and soon he found himself with his face pressed unmercifully against the unyielding wooden door and his shoulder biting in pain as his arm was wrenched by the wrist behind his back.

"I\'m here to provide you with assistance," he gasped, hoping the occupant of the room would believe him.  He certainly matched the description of the man Samual was supposed to help.  "I\'ve been sent by the Society," he continued before fighting for consciousness as a bolt of fresh pain travelled up his shoulder when his wrist was pulled a little higher up his back.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Uzaki

Re: Unannounced Assistance
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:15:29 AM »
He’d tightened the grip automatically, pressing a little harder as the intruder spoke, having heard something was said but not registered what it\'d been. Fingers pressed into flesh at an awkward angle as he’d taken the first firm hold he’d found in the sudden but brief struggle, breath slow and steady as adrenaline coursed through his body.

Breathe.

Deciding the situation was under control he let the arm down a little but kept its owner against the door, a safe direction as he had no weapon on his person to fend off any serious attacks with.

“What Society?” he hissed over the shoulder, having jumped to the conclusion that whoever had come to his academy had somehow followed him here and now made their move against him. It didn’t seem probable, him having arrived just the other night, but he could think of no other reason for strangers sneaking into his given quarters late at night.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »
"The Society of the Sanctified Mind!" he gasped, horrified that he had to clarify.  Surely those that followed St Cuthbert understood who \'The Society\' were?  Perhaps this wasn\'t a man he was supposed to help, though he\'d said a few of the key words.  It had been many months since he\'d been stationed here, told that there were people he was supposed to ally with should they ever show up.  At first he\'d thought the clerics of Saint Cuthbert were finding a way to be rid of him but then this man had arrived the other night, speaking the name Zazaar and mentioning the Elemental Academy.  The meeting in the entrance hallway had been overheard by many ears, and whispers had soon spread the news and had reached Samuel\'s ears.  "They hold your master in the highest esteem," he managed to say after a withering moment, wincing as the pain in his shoulder began to inflame due to being held at straining point for so long.

Uzaki

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 04:27:09 AM »
The society of the Sanctified Mind.

Of course, Aedus remembered now that his foster father used to talk about them with mixed emotions and every once in awhile someone from that organization would come visit. Slipping in and out and never staying for too long, he was never told of what they discussed or any particulars of the stay and he’d only pressed the issue once or twice. It was Saint Cuthbert and his inherited faith.

“Most who know of him do.” He replied and couldn’t help the tone of pride that seeped through. Swallowing, right foot shifting outwards for a little stability, he let go of the arm he’d caught and moved the hand to the other’s shoulder with the intention of turning him around.

“Turn around.” He instructed, stepping back to allow room to move about and distance himself a little.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »
Samuel breathed soft relief at being released, though he held such relief close to his chest, not yet trusting the other to fully relax in his presence.  He kept himself close to the door so as not to threaten the one who called himself Aedus, and introduced himself, though without the offer to shake a hand because he was working one hand up to his aching shoulder in order to massage it.

"My name is Samuel Britton," he informed Aedus, not letting him know that he already had his name.  He had all he needed to know and he was used to not getting more information than that.  Anything that Aedus told him that wasn\'t part of a mission would be regarded with interest and nothing more.  "When you arrived you spoke of the Academy.  That\'s how I know you\'re my contact."

Whether or not Aedus knew that he was supposed to have a contact was another thing altogether.  Whether he needed one would be revealed.  At the very least Samuel could make his availability known.  Staring into the other\'s eyes, Samuel felt intimidated by the other\'s presence.  They were dark, so dark they seemed black - demonic eyes, he supposed, but they were also intelligent.

Uzaki

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 02:16:29 AM »
As the other turned Aedus took another few steps backwards for more distance between them, ending up standing on the single one carpet laid out in the room he’d been given. It was dark, the smell of burnt wick lingering in the air as he’d blown out the flame at the sound of the other picking his lock. The only source of light was the undraped window to his left where the bright late-eve outside shone through.

Lack of light wasn’t any problem for him, being half drow made it easier to see in dark places, and his room wasn’t very dark. He could easily see Samuel and Samuel could see him. The grey trousers and shirt he wore didn’t stealth him where as his naturally dark skin might have, though he hadn’t expected anyone and was glad he’d dressed from the washing-up he’d done some time before the intrusion.

“Samuel.” He repeated the name, trying but not remembering the other from anywhere before. A contact from the society. It was interesting and certainly not expected. “Master Zazaar told me nothing about a contact here…” he started, eyes still intently studying the other. “…but I left sudden and unscheduled.”

“I’m Aedus Tahtahl, but maybe you already knew that?” He suggested, aware that there weren’t too many half-drow who served the grand master, and it was more often than he liked he found himself recognized by people knowing his foster father.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:51:22 AM »
Samuel dipped his head once, enough for it to be recognised as agreement that he already knew of Aedus\' name.

"It\'s my job to know things," he justified.  He understood why the Society gave him enough information to work with, because he wouldn\'t clutter his mind with things that weren\'t important - and if he needed to know important things, he generally came across the information anyway when on his missions.  It made his choices clear, it helped him perform every task without the difficulty of multiple options.

He was working his fingers into the muscle of his shoulder and now abandoned the massaging in order to drop both his arms at his sides and stand before Aedus, allowing the other to weigh the decision of taking him on board.  The assassin academy was interesting enough to keep Samuel occupied, but he was aching to return to anything that was connected to the Society.  It was a peculiar feeling, his desire to be needed or wanted by a stranger.

"I am loyal to the Society, so I am loyal to you," he pledged, still fixed on Aedus\' gaze and unable to pull his stare away.  He could hear the blood still rushing in his ears from the surprise at being attacked and bested on entry, though his heart had calmed down to mostly a normal speed already.

Uzaki

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2008, 06:13:09 AM »
The half-drow understood the need to know things, he himself was usually one to know a lot of things concerning whatever he was told to do or know. It was seldom he set out without knowing what he was doing, how he was going to do it or some instructions of how it was to be done.

This time though, there had been no time to learn or understand or know anything and it had left him feeling uncertain. It was uncomfortable for him to be wandering about knowing as little as he did and not be able to have anyone to turn to for guidance. Aedus had yet to receive any aid from the masters here at the academy other than the room and ‘It’s going to be alright’ that sounded hollow in his ears.

This new person had with the short promise of allegiance calmed his frustrated mind more than anyone in this large place so far. But he wasn’t about to trust such a promise yet, though he desperately wanted to his experience wouldn’t allow him.

“Then you are most welcome, though I suggest a different way of approach for next time.” He allowed himself to smile, a brief flash of teeth before he continued “You are in contact with the Society then?” and moved to light the candle and the lamp, making sure to keep the other in his line of sight.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2008, 04:40:08 PM »
When Aedus spoke of his approach, Samuel\'s cheeks coloured at the recommendation.  He hadn\'t intended on waking the other up until he was in the room.  It was embarrassing to have introduced himself so clumsily.  At least he hadn\'t made sound upon attack, but he doubted Aedus would consider such a thing.  After all, it should\'ve been a given that he was professional in his manner.

"I have a method of communication, though it is long in the sending and receiving," he informed Aedus, thinking of the setup that he hadn\'t yet used, "and it is perilous, so I haven\'t risked sending messages that aren\'t of major importance."  His expression of Aedus was watchful, for he hoped that this man that he\'d just sworn himself to wouldn\'t waste the opportunity of a discreet service in order merely to test it.  "Do you have something you wish to tell them?"

Or ask them? he wondered.

Uzaki

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2008, 02:24:07 AM »
Aedus hesitated before replying, eyes on the steady flame of the lamp he’d just lit. He did need to ask some questions, maybe a lot or maybe only a few, and he needed to figure out just what he would ask and what would be fruitful for his situation. Major importance. This was important, whatever had happened and whoever those intruders had been and for whatever reason they had come. Still he didn’t know much right now.

Blinking out of his thoughts he turned back to the door and Samuel.

“I need to contact the Society” he let him know “but I need some time to…think. I seem to have been given promise of safety here for now, my father told me to come here and so I trust him… Yet this place I don’t trust.” And he silently figured he didn’t trust the other either, there was no reason to, but he didn’t distrust either.

“How long have you been here?”

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2008, 07:41:47 AM »
"Four months," came the quick reply, though it was a couple of weeks over, Samuel didn\'t feel the need to give more than an approxiamation and assumed that the other didn\'t want to know his exact arrival date and time.

He was staring back at Aedus now, saying nothing more.  The first few words from Aedus had sounded like the other\'s running commentary to himself.  Samuel would\'ve delivered his own findings of the Academy and how distrustful the other should really be but because he wasn\'t asked, he didn\'t say.  Aedus was on the right line of thought in any case, he wasn\'t an idiot, not if Zazaar was his master.  Samuel doubted a man who was respected by the Society would\'ve suffered a fool.  However, he\'d already blown his cover without knowing there was a contact to meet.  He obviously trusted his master\'s words utterly and completely, but this Academy was unknown to him, so was such a thing wise?

His shoulder was still aching.  Aedus had been extremely efficient at finding the pain threshhold, almost causing Samuel to blackout with the pain.  He made a mental note to himself about that.  This man was obviously not a strictly academic type, which opened up his possibilities at the Academy.  Perhaps that was why he hadn\'t bothered to hide the truth of his identity as Samuel had, because he was very good at taking care of himself.  He\'d also asked to be delivered to a Master Assassin.  Which one had he seen?

"I can arrange for you to meet with the master of my house, if you wish," he offered.  "Libramen," he supplied.

Uzaki

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 05:14:50 AM »
Four months. That was enough time to get to know a place and its inhabitants even if it was as large as this academy was. Of course it wasn’t enough time to thoroughly know everything and everyone but the half-drow figured the other must know enough of what and who as well as well how things functioned. Aedus couldn’t be sure of how much energy the other had put into mapping out the academy or at what level of skill he was, the brief struggle and the picking of his lock let him know the other at least knew the basics.

The master of his house. He watched the other, musing over his offer and the possibilities that lay therein. The one he’d met before had brushed his demand on meeting the grand master aside, giving him this place and the promise that they’d find time later on when they weren’t as busy. Aedus, despite always being calm and composed had nearly lost his control as the frustration built up during his traveling turned into anger. Only the firm hand on his shoulder from the one he’d housed with during the night had kept his anger from escalating out of control.

“There is much I would gain from knowing about this place, I’d like for you to let me know all which you have learnt.” He said, a hand unconsciously brushing the side of his pants. “But not tonight. I would also gain from meeting with your house master, the house comparable to my own has brushed me aside for now.” He let the other know where he stood for now, not bothering to hide his frown as displeasure over the fact that he’d been unable to sway that master’s mind resurfaced. The Confuto master hadn’t bothered to listen to him or the reason for his demand, absorbed in something of more interest.

“I’d also like for you to prepare for contacting the society, in whichever way you do it…” and he silenced, wondering how he’d be able to pull through this and just how he’d do it when he had no idea where to continue. His hopes lay in those he would meet and the one he’d just met. Samuel. Taking a few steps to the side he sank to sit on the edge of the bed, his head dropping down until his eyes rested on the others feet.

“Is this acceptable with you, Samuel?”

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2008, 10:00:30 AM »
Samuel listened attentively as Aedus seemingly spoke his thoughts aloud.  He nodded when requested to explain the workings of the Academy to the other, figuring that it wouldn\'t be done tonight and then receiving confirmation of the fact.  He liked the way Aedus was taking charge, making him feel as though he\'d pledged his loyalty well, to someone who wasn\'t going to dally.  He was tired of the Academy (though it was interesting on a personal level, knowing that his path had already been forged meant it held a limited value to him).

He nodded affirmation that he would set up a meeting with the Grand Master of Libramen, not wanting to bother with the Masters who were ranked below.  Why start with a lower order peer when there was the decision-maker available?  He didn\'t know how far he would get in making an appointment though, so he would have to figure out his best course of action.  The wheels were already spinning on how he would accomplish this when he was ordered to set up to contact the society.  Didn\'t Aedus wish to wait until after his meeting with the Grand Master?  Perhaps he already had much news to tell, it appeared to be the case.  Samuel thought about the contraption he would have to set up in order to open the communication lines.  It wouldn\'t be easy to keep it secret in a place like this, ironically.

The last question really threw him.  Was Aedus seeking his acknowledgement or merely checking with him that everything could be done within an acceptable timeframe?

"Yes sir," he said with an accompaning nod.