Author Topic: Reclamation  (Read 14668 times)

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Reclamation
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2019, 11:10:46 PM »
Kerr was frowning, pondering the ramifications of Lazarus being one handed but loose. They'd heard about the latter but the general populace hadn't been informed about the hand-chopping former detail. Perhaps Jake's suggestion implant would last but Kerr wouldn't put it past Lazarus to overcome it. He'd come for this city twice. Third time would definitely be the charm.

He nodded at Ben, glancing at him as he reined his thoughts in. "Yes. Lazarus took it from the dragon when he killed him," he answered grimly. "He boasted about it frequently." Kerr looked back at Jake. "If it's in his notes, Halen probably made it himself so it'll be ancient and very powerful. Be careful," he warned the DL.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2019, 04:15:36 AM »
Jake let his guard down and smiled thankfully at Ben, his eyes conveying his interest in this book. Was Ben only offering it to then deny it when Jake asked him for it? Was he trying to angle his way into researching the ring? Jake didn't want any projects with Ben, as he didn't feel like he could trust him. He seemed to agree to testify only to smear Jake's name, and this sudden act of kindness seemed awfully similar. Still, he'd brought it up right in front of Kerr, and it would look bad if he mentioned it only to rebuff him.

"That sounds really interesting Ben. I would love to see that book sometime."

What could he and Sabrina learn if that had that book as a starting place? He fought the instinct to call and tell her as they were standing there. She looked pretty beat up after Lazarus destroyed her necklace, and he'd asked so much of her recently. He would send her a gift instead to thank her. He'd tell her about this book another day.

He listened to Kerr's explanation and nodded. He was amused at hearing how Lazarus would boast about killing a dragon. For a moment, he missed the blonde. His ghost was still in the room they'd shared. He hoped another would soon fill the space in his heart left by the ancient. He took his warning seriously as well.

"Don't worry. I won't slip it on," he assured. That had to be Kerr's real fear.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2019, 07:19:51 AM »
Kerr chuckled at Jake's promise, finding it ludicrous.

"Of course you won't - no kindred with any sort of decent mental talents ever would. I was just imagining you and Sabrina poking the thing and it exploding in your faces. Dragons are fireproof. And fond of traps. I imagine if you mess with it too much it'll destroy itself spectacularly and that would be a lot harder to overcome than your putting it on and silencing your mind," he offered.

The thought of Jake wearing the ring was preposterous because it would be far too convenient for the rest of the city. Jake's power would be stifled and he'd suffer for it - he'd be quite vulnerable.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2019, 08:40:05 AM »
"The journal is at the beach-house, boxed up with everything else," Ben said, waving a hand like it was unimportant. "I still have to get the library ready at the new Academy and was going to transfer the books there, but I wasn't going to put anything dangerous on the shelves. It's a big job, it'll take time, and I don't remember which box it was in. As soon as I come across it, I'll take it to Sabrina."

Because I won't be taking it to you, he thought at Jake, only half-blocking this thought. Jake would hear it only if he was actively listening to Ben's mind... which would make him a glutton for punishment.

It reminded him of something else he and Jake had spoken of, in the past. "The Academy will keep a small extension of itself in the City Central district by the way, but not at Haven Crest. It'll be moved here for my convenience."

He wondered if Jake would be grateful.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2019, 08:57:39 AM »
Jake laughed along with Kerr. The idea of Sabrina and he poking the ring and getting their eyebrows burned off was an image he needed. He felt silly for assuming Kerr meant he'd put it on. Only a fool would do that, or someone who needed to prevent their own mind from being invaded. He also feared being that vulnerable. His reputation for using Dominate in the city was strong and intentionally spread. It deterred attacks and made others think twice before running afoul of the Anarch prince. Ben had the book, but wasn't giving it to him, and not even to Sabrina anytime soon.

More fucking smokescreens, delays and passive aggressiveness, Jake internally grumbled. Ben would have no chance of hearing that thought, but Kerr who was older, might hear a part of it, or at least sense Jake's frustration. He had really worked on his face a lot though, and remained looking interested. It wasn't quite no, but it was "don't call me, I'll call you." Jake wanted to speak to Kerr privately as he thought that was going better than he and Ben. Still, he knew he had to play nice.

"Thank you Ben. I'll let her know to expect it," he said plainly, and gave another winning smile. It was the one that often won Jake dates, although he was not flirting. He was just trying to look less smug. When Ben spoke about the Academy Jake was a little grateful. He wanted his constituents to have this resource and was pleased that despite his issues with Ben, that he was prioritizing the students. He would never tell Ben that he was grateful though. He would never show him such vulnerability again. He'd gotten it all at Charon's home and attacked him the whole time. That had been a deep wound.

"My offer to fund anything you need for the Academy stands as well. Just send me the bill and I'll take care of it. Thank you for making that decision Ben."

He meant it. He really did. He wondered if Ben would sense that.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2019, 09:49:36 AM »
"I'll do that," Ben said, intending on sending Jake the transport bill that would move all the Haven Crest stuff to their headquarters at the Chambers, and would also send on the invoice for the basement level refit - the one that would convert the Oligarchy Meeting Room into a lecture hall for students. Now that he knew Jake was still prepared to foot the bill, he was going to spare no expense.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2019, 11:33:25 PM »
Caught between the mental petulances of the pretty men around him, Kerr had to make sure he didn't roll his eyes and draw someone's wrath (or any more than what he'd already copped from Ben, anyway). The sooner he got Jake out of the building, the better Kerr's chances of calming Ben down (and keeping their plans on track) were. The offer - and acceptance - of money surprised him out of planning his exit strategy.

"Wait a minute," Kerr frowned, looking from Jake to Ben and then back again. "Why are you funding anything?" Did they not have enough money? If he'd been told why Jake giving them funds was a thing, Kerr had forgotten why. He couldn't believe Ben wanted to be beholden to Jake in any form whatsoever.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2019, 12:57:34 AM »
Jake was confused by Kerr’s question. Was he really about to turn down funding when the Academy hadn’t even had a chance to make money yet? People were so proud about money, and while Jake understood it to an extent, he hated when it got in the way of good business. The truth was, Jake was the one percent of wealthiest people in the country, and easily one of the wealthiest men in the city. He didn’t manage his finances day to day anymore. He had talented people for that. He was given two weekly reports, one for the district and one for his personal estate. Damien Evans held a similar fortune, and he’d heard Kerr was quite well off. Was that it? Did Kerr want to foot the bill for Ben’s work?

“Since I asked Ben to maintain the Central District campus, so that my constituents could attend within their own territory, I felt it was my responsibility to help pay for it. Since I see your frown I'm assuming you don't approve? I wont be offended if you tell me not to pay, but I do support the Academy and want to help out if I can.”

He wasn’t going to fight them if they told him his money wasn’t needed. There were always more projects to invest in. Once this matter was settled Jake really had to go. He was meeting Luke in his office, and had a party to run at the White Rabbit. His planned outfit was especially scandalous. Then Murphy was coming over. It was a packed evening.   
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2019, 06:43:01 AM »
Kerr’s expression cleared up when he heard the explanation. “No, that’s fine. I didn’t realise you’d made... that request,” he finished lamely, embarrassed to have uncovered a point he knew nothing about and highlighting something Ben and Jake had actually agreed on (at some point) like it was disagreeable. He waved a hand in a rolling gesture, indicating they should carry on and ignore him.

Ben possibly saw taking Jake’s money as some sort of victory, like he was getting something out of him that would pain him somehow. As someone who had a lot of money, Kerr knew that wasn’t the case from Jake’s perspective; it would fly out of his coffers easily but buy him a stake he might later press obligation on them for. Jake’s magnanimity might well sour if he wanted something to go his way in the future.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »
Ben glanced at Kerr, realising he'd forgotten to mention Jake's offer to fund the city campus but he'd anticipated that Jake would retract his offer so it hadn't seemed important... plus there'd been other things to focus on.

A comment came to mind to say out loud to Kerr;

Yeah, I didn't mention it because I'd focussed on Jake's passive aggressive threat with his sword

and he almost lit the match to burn down the weedy beginnings of yet another bridge being built between him and Jake.  The pettiness of the jab stopped him as well as the fact it wouldn't solve or prove anything. Jake would deny the threat or accuse Ben of being overly dramatic, Ben would cite multiple examples where Jake had overreacted or made bad decisions, Jake would probably appeal to Kerr to keep Ben under control or perhaps even clam up and look like a kicked dog like he had at Charon's house...

Ben found he didn't want that. He could run circles around Jake with his words, like he'd run circles around his mortal friends when he'd been mortal... and then found he didn't have any friends left. His poison tongue was best left bottled up.

"Yeah, you can pay for the lecture hall and student area builds, and the move from Haven Crest to here," Ben said, detailing what invoices Jake could expect. "I'm not putting your name on anything, though," he added.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2019, 09:32:28 AM »
Jake listened to Kerr stumble over his apology and it endeared him to the other once more. Kerr’s oddities had been something about him that made Jake feel connected to him. Jake was odd too.

Then Ben couldn’t resist one final jab. Jake rolled his eyes, and left looking cross, not bothering to address the fact that he’d never asked for anything in exchange for his money other than keeping the campus going. He’d wanted to teach, but felt like he couldn’t be a patron and an instructor. He also didn’t want Ben to think his desire to teach was why he was investing. Ben obviously thought so little of him to think he’d want his name on something. If he asked to teach Ben night refuse the money and make that some villain’s plot to take the academy from him.

He bade neither goodnight, Ben’s comment serving as the final word in the exchange. He exited into the cool evening, and returned to The White Rabbit to prepare for the jock party.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2019, 07:53:19 PM »
Kerr's mouth dropped open as Jake decided he'd had enough and spun on his heel to leave. Without saying a word.

Kerr detached his hand from Ben's and followed Jake to the door, reaching into his pocket for his keys. Naturally, Jake got to the street before him and he still didn't turn around and say anything. Kerr leant out the door and sniffed, wondering if he'd been keen to mark the building with his scent or something, but there was nothing untoward.

"Goodnight, then!" he yelled after Jake, offering a jaunty wave before withdrawing back inside the building and locking the doors. He squared his shoulders as he walked back towards Ben, his eyebrows lifted in expectation. "Soooooo... " he drawled, sidling up to Ben hips first and fingers in something akin to gun poses. He figured he was about to be berated for convincing Ben to tell Jake more details of their plans than he'd wanted to.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2019, 03:41:50 PM »
Kerr's assumption wasn't wrong.

"Why do you want me to trust him?" he asked immediately, his arms folding across his chest as he eyed Kerr with annoyance. "Polite to him, sure, I get that, because I should learn to be more professional. But trust? You offered up the app on a platter. If he wants to rip us off, he can."

The only reason he could see for Jake not ripping them off would be a lack of foresight about how powerful the app would be.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2019, 04:07:08 PM »
"Then we'll sue him for copyright infringement," Kerr shrugged, deciding it was best to keep his hands to himself even though he stopped very close to Ben. He wondered how good Jake's lawyers were, because he'd been with his for centuries and they'd never let him down. They'd arranged the legal side of Lovebite after just one meeting and Kerr trusted they'd be completely covered, legally. He didn't think Ben had any cause for concern on that front.

"He can't touch us legally and it was an olive branch. A token. Yes, a big one but that's what made it all the more hefty, don't you think?" he appealed.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2019, 04:25:46 PM »
Ben was astounded that Kerr didn't think Jake could get around copyright.

"The only thing we copyrighted was the name and the concept. Remember when we were told we couldn't copyright who our end users were going to be, and that makes sense. You can't copyright people and the only thing that makes Lovebite special is who's going to use the app and how. I mean... there are so many matchmaking apps out there already. All he has to do is hire a company to do a matchmaking app and market it to vampires through advertising. He has access to the Oligarchy database too. He could do tomorrow what we can't do for weeks, maybe months. Fuck!" Ben whirled away, swiping hands through his hair. "I shouldn't have fucking told him!"

He shouldn't have listened to Kerr, was what he shouldn't have done.