Author Topic: The Professionals  (Read 11057 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Re: The Professionals
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
So it should work on a vampire then.  Good.

With an expression of pure fascination, he watched the effects of the poison on the unfortunate rodent.  The swell of excitement tugged at his belly, showing plainly in his smile.  Now this was something he could work with.  Many scenarios presented themselves in his mind at breakneck speed as the rat screamed.  Applying the poison to a blow dart, coating a dagger, crafting filled bullets that shatter and release the toxin on impact...

He would have to perform some tests to be certain. 

A low-rumble akin to a purr sounded deep in his throat.  "Yes," Laurent looked away from the consumption of the rat back into Apep's eyes.  The shadow demon's lips twisted into a seductive smile.  "Very much so."  He took a step closer to Apep, eyelids heavy over his darkening expression. 

"What quantity would this be worth?"  He extended his hand, the soul gem from before resting in the center of his palm.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2019, 12:03:46 PM »
Apep looked almost bashful as Laurent got close to him, his eye looking big, open and innocent. He wanted the shadow demon to feel so much stronger than him. He made himself a perfect vision of respectful fear, and stuttered uncertainty through a reply.

"Gee, I don't know man. I normally charge cash. I guess, one vial per one good soul? I mean it comes straight from my body and one vial this size will last you a long time."

It seemed all spit balled, but also so responsible. Apep's hand caressed Laurent's shoulder for a single moment. He held up a tiny piece of something.

"Dust," he explained, before smiling.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2019, 06:34:49 AM »
Without changing his expression, Laurent's hand shot out and caught Apep by the wrist in a painful grip.  He lowered it slowly, twisting as he went so the palm faced up.  The grip on Apep's wrist tightened until any curled fingers relaxed to reveal an empty palm.  Reaching slowly into his pocket, he retrieved another gem.

This soul did not belong to a skinny-blood, but to that of a proper fledge no older than two.  Willingly given, in fact, for a sizable sum of money and a stolen car.  The younger ones, especially without sires, were oh so easy to swindle.  This was what Va'tamal considered a Good Soul, and it would serve as payment.

Laurent pressed the new gem into the other demon's palm with a sweet smile.  "One Good Soul," he placed the first gem beside it with a bit more force.  "And this is for your trouble." 

Trouble meant discretion, amongst other things.  From businessman to businessman, Laurent didn't feel the need to elaborate further.

After releasing the grip on Apep's wrist, Laurent reached toward his face to gently move a stray lock of hair back into place.  "I hope this can be the start of a profitable relationship."  His voice was soft, contrasting the intense look in his eye as he sought Apep's gaze.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2019, 07:33:16 AM »
Apep's body temperature and heart rate increased and his eyes became more yellow and serpent like as Laurent grabbed his wrist. His face was stone though, and an observer would think this was foreplay more than any kind of violence or intimidation. He cried out on cue as his wrist was grabbed, but the moment after he was back to being just a salesmen. It was unclear if it even hurt him, and his wrist would feel like puddy to Laurent, like it could be bent all the way back if he wanted.

Apep's eyes did light up though, as Laurent put the much better soul into his grasp. Even though he couldn't cast at the moment, the mere feeling of it pressed to his flesh let him know that this was not some average being. He turned back slowly as his wrist was released.

"And the vial I sampled from is for yours," he said nodding, agreeing that a mutual agreement of discretion was worth sweetening each other's deals. Once his hair was back in place, Apep moved back to the vault and pulled out a fresh, unopened vial. He held it out gingerly for Laurent to take, and once he did the deal would be done. The snake demon looked to his soulwell. He'd be making a deposit soon.

"Me too man. I like your style."

He snapped his fingers like he'd just gotten another idea. "I got one other deal to make if you like the ones we've made so far," he said, looking away from Laurent's eyes. He played meek and weak very well, and looked the vision of both right now.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2019, 07:48:08 AM »
Laurent slipped the vial into his pocket, pleased that his incentive would be paid in kind.  But didn't it level out into another Exchange in place of some Extra Sweetening?  Still, a Gesture was a Gesture, and in the end, he'd gotten what he came for with the promise for future transactions.

"Go on," He liked making deals, and watched Apep closely.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2019, 07:58:16 AM »
Apep looked at Laurent seriously now, almost afraid. He moved to his bed and sat down, indicating that Laurent should take the space next to him. With his large, bashful looking eyes, and innocent looking smile, how could Laurent refuse? Once he was sitting, or indicating he wasn't going to, Apep made his next deal.

"We are a small organization here," he said, indicating the other sinister serpents. "We have only really got this little cell off the ground. The vampires who run downtown did us the favor of taking out all the established players, or the ones dumb enough to fight a vampire army anyway."

He bent a leg behind his head. It looked like an incredibly easy stretch for him. "We want to fill certain gaps in certain trades, while allowing the current market to function without interruption."

It was a lot of fancy words, but what did it mean?

"We have no interest in your markets," he said, referencing human trafficking and prostitution. "But there is currently nobody filling the drug market. I would like to fill it, and I would like to fill it with Venom. I would like us to support each other's businesses by referring people, but also agreeing here and now to not fuck with the other's trade. You keep your stuff, but leave the drug market open for us. It will ensure a healthy relationship for all involved, and help us stay out of his gaze."

They both knew who Apep was talking about. Zeus would not like the deals currently being made here, especially since he wasn't getting a cut.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2019, 08:32:40 AM »
Desire could be read clearly in his expression, but he made no move to follow Apep to the bed.  He didn't really buy the whole doe-eyed crap.  Anyone in this kind of business, anyone worth anything anyway, always hid something underneath.  But there wasn't any reason to challenge the act--there was nothing to be gained from that save souring the mood.

A steamy gaze traced Apep's movements.  Flexible.  Mouthwatering.  It did not distract Laurent from his words, though it did intensify his interest.  But business was business--play would be another time. 

What a Simple deal!  Laurent had no intention of tapping into the drug market.  It was easy to see how supporting one another would be mutually beneficial.  "Agreed," was his sultry answer, a wicked smile overtaking his features.

"If you're looking for distribution, I have a connection inside the city," with a wicked grin he searched his mind for the leeches, testing their reach.  Whether or not the Eastwood Disciple figurehead felt the movement was of little consequence.  Laurent wondered what sort of Finders Fee he'd procure should this connection bear fruit for the snake.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2019, 08:48:57 AM »
Apep nodded thoughtfully as Laurent accepted the terms, and as he offered further help.

"All on a first date," he said humorlessly. "I'll keep it in mind, but you try those out first," he said, pointing to the vials. "Also want to sell these for some coins to see how lucrative our deal can be... for me of course." There was that wicked grin again!

More entangling vines could come later, and a hook up in the city could prove vital, but Laurent was new to Apep and had a reputation for dominance and control. Their time together so far had been good, but what if they ended rubbing the wrong way? He needed time to be sure.

"Come back next time, fuck me, and then we'll see about furthering our relationship. Besides, I gotta talk to the boss, ya know what I'm sayin?"

It was the first clue given that Apep answered to someone other than himself.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
"Deal," he grinned with his teeth, feeling so Positively Tickled by the offer.  He produced a crisp white business card from the back pocket of his jeans. 

The only information printed was the name of a hotel.  "In case you needed anything in the meantime," he cooed, moving forward to place the card on the end of the bed.

He made sure to snag the second vial before leaving, whether Apep chose to lead him or he found his own way out.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »
Apep nodded, and showed Laurent to the door. He felt good about this deal. It had gone better than expected. Now, he had a steady buyer, a non interference agreement, and a potential for expansion. He also didn't mind the look of his human form. He smiled at the idea of sex and business.

He went towards the pool, and removed the cover, revealing the swirling blue-green waters of the soulwell. Inside were nineteen human souls. He placed the three gems on an alter near the pool, and began to move his hands in counter-clockwise circles, chanting in hisses and flicks of his tongue. First he added the neighbor. Her soul came out as a white an uninteresting whisp, easy to control and thrown into the well. Despite her normalcy, she'd been a personal favorite and Apep loved crossing an enemy off his list. Next he placed the thinblood, and savored in their confusion. Their soul was black, but blinked white, a sign of it's impurity. Last, he took out the young fledgling, and decided that it was worthy of more than he could likely sell it for at this point. It was dark in color, pulsating with power. There was strength in this soul, determination, a path, a destiny! It was beautiful. He would have it for himself.

He'd never had such a powerful soul in his hand, and the promise of more to come had him wired. He drew it in like a breath, entering through his nose and mouth. It was gone forever, but Apep had never felt stronger. This whole operation was going better than expected. The snake demon threw himself on his bed, and laughed as he stared up at the ceiling.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.