Author Topic: Cabin Fever  (Read 11082 times)

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
  • four sins past SAINTHOOD.
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
Re: Cabin Fever
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2019, 07:49:51 AM »
Damien hesitated, thinking. He was a deeply suspicious man with his human years spent in war and his fledgling years spent in warring, paranoid company, so the idea of trust didn't come easily to him. Now that Rachel had become something more to him, his suspicion that anyone else could care for her as considerately and as intimately as he could was unmeasurable. Certainly, he trusted Pierre, Jenella, and Finny to keep their eyes on her when the time came for Damien to run the empire that was the Aquillia family, but these were temporary things with people he had known for years.

What she was suggesting was a thought he had avoided for a long time. What if this person, this new person, betrayed them and sold her to Laurent? What if this person was lazy, became sloppy? What if this person couldn't do the job properly, to Damien's standards?

There was a long moment and a sigh in between the time she asked her question and the time he answered. He was nervous for her, scared even. Having lost Lucretia had made him value the time he had with Rachel - now that he had gotten over most of his own awkwardness around dating her - and it was something he was never really willing to compromise.

"It would allow me to get you out of my hair during the day," Damien said cautiously with the hint of a smile. It wasn't an acceptance of the idea, but he liked the idea of her out in the sun where she was supposed to be as a human. Caution, discomfort, distrust all leaked into his bloodstream and echoed in all parts of him like adrenaline. "I don't know about this, Rachel." His voice was low and worried, and she would be all too familiar with the anxiety that colored his tone. "It's not like he can't go out during the day. What would happen if he found you? I wouldn't know or be able to help you at all." Damien sat up on an elbow now, his position becoming inadvertently tense with the illogical need to return to a state of control.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2019, 08:32:08 AM »
Excitement whipped up again at the first part of his reply, encouraged by the smile.  But when he began to talk about being unsure Rachel was noticeably crestfallen.  He was right to be worried, it was a risk.  She sighed as he spoke, unconsciously making herself smaller and avoiding meeting his eye. 

"I know,"  she was aware of his returning tension, accustomed to the tonal changes and body language by now.  Shyly looking back up at him, she reached her hand to gently trace his face with her fingertips.  "Hey, I'm not saying we should jump right into it like zero to a hundred.  I just..."  She trailed off, indecisive about continuing this conversation because she didn't want to upset him.  Rachel took a breath and sighed through her exhale.

"Before...everything happened, back when I had an apartment and stuff.  I used to go out for brunch every Thursday morning with my best friend.  I just miss being able to do shit like that."  She stopped tracing his face and wrapped an arm around him.  Dwelling on this would make her more upset--the fact that she hadn't had any human friends in so long was depressing. 

"It's just been years and the more time that passes the less likely it seems that he's still looking for me."  Rachel wanted to reassure him, but didn't know how.

"I want to figure out a way to make this work, and like...I don't know.  Maybe see if anyone we know knows anyone, you know?"  there was a cautious smile on her face as she finally met his eye.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2019, 09:01:52 AM »
More hesitation as he processed, fighting all the things in him that screamed that this was a horrible, dangerous decision to even consider.

"Rachel," he said softly, a knot building in his chest. "I want you to have a human life. A normal human life. I fear at this point, you never will." He sighed, finding it difficult to continue the thought, fidgeting. "I don't know if this is a good idea. But I don't want to keep you in here all day long.

"This has to ultimately be your decision, not mine anymore." He exhaled his tension as best he could. "We can look into this, if that's what you want to do." His concern was only thinly veiled from her, but so was his hope that she would be happy with the result.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2019, 09:11:51 AM »
Rachel squeezed him tightly and buried her face in his chest. 

"I don't want you to be freaking out all the time though, so I want to make sure we do this right."  She pulled back and looked at him seriously.  "Because that's important to me too."

She was happy--but she didn't want to sacrifice all of his mental well being just to go out during the day.
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2019, 10:11:36 AM »
Her happiness was worth it to him; after so much sadness in both of their lives, he especially wanted her to be happy. He wanted her to go out with her friends and have fun and food, and do human things that she had been denied for too long of a time by living in fear of being taken back to that place. He wanted the sun to kiss her skin and smell the fresh air in her hair at night when she came back to their bed. When he slept, sometimes he had silly images of being human with her and making love to her in a meadow with the setting sun on their bare backs. When she walked Delilah around the yard in the daylight, he occasionally found himself slightly envious of her. It wasn't fair to deny her the rights of being human.

"I have some reservations," he said pointlessly. "I don't know who we would even find for this job, Rache. I don't want any demons - they could end up giving him information about you. And no humans, either. No one that could be easily killed or hurt like that."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2019, 10:38:35 AM »
"We can ask around--Pierre knows a lot of people, Jenella too probably."  She brightened again, almost vibrating with excitement because they were actually talking about it.  She could finally get back to doing normal shit!  No more hiding or sitting around waiting for the sun to set before being able to do anything outside of the house and the backyard.  She could take Delilah to a dog park during the day! 

Rachel knew she was getting way ahead of herself.

"If we can't find anyone like that, we can always put in an ad somewhere."  She looked thoughtful for a moment, wondering how they could possibly make sure someone was actually trustworthy or not. 

Offline Saiketsu

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Athena's by Jacki
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2019, 11:26:25 AM »
"No." Damien said firmly but quietly. "I won't risk putting information like that out there in case he is looking for it. Everything has to be done through extended acquaintances." He unconsciously pulled her closer to him. Damien sighed. "Let's start with who we know and move from there, okay?" He brushed a lock of her hair away from her shoulders again, trying to handle his apprehension silently.

Damien didn't know enough about all the species of people that existed in the city. Those he did know about he wasn't sure about how well they would adjust to the job. He could pay anyone very well - that would never be an issue. Vampires were completely out due to their restricted abilities during the day. He could never trust any demon until Laurent was dead - a precaution he knew was problematic. Humans could be killed too easily and their reflexes would never be able to keep Rachel safe next to the shadow demon. A shifter maybe? A werewolf? An angel? An imp? He just couldn't know yet. All there was to do was to see what his options were.