Author Topic: ALTERNATE: Venture  (Read 13600 times)

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
Re: ALTERNATE: Venture
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2019, 10:26:09 AM »
She liked the musical little hammering in Kerr's chest that matched the nervous rambling.  The rush to defend the drink led her to believe that he was heavily invested in it.  Was it his brainchild?  Sonya looked up from the glass, tongue swiping the bloodstain from her lips.  Her eyes moved from his hands to his face. 

"It is...unexpected."  She explained, looking back down into the glass and lifting it to her lips again.  This time she watched him as she sipped, taking a proper mouthful to coat the entirety of her mouth to experience the flavor completely.  The memory lingered like a ghost in her mind. 

"I do taste the cherry."  She placed the glass delicately onto the bar and twirled the base, watching the blood cling to the sides as it moved.  "And it's just reminded me that I liked cherries."  Her head lifted and she met his eyes with a smile.

"I find it artistic.  How long has Venture been offering this?" 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2019, 09:33:12 PM »
He was distracted from worrying when her tongue snuck out to clean her lips, the dextrous pink muscle glinting in the muted lighting, capturing his attention immediately. Had he been concerned with anything other than how she might feel against him, how she might taste in his own mouth? She was an alpha, top of the food chain, settled before him tasting his offering of fealty and he wanted to bask in her. The momentary reverie broke when he registered her gaze lifting from his hands and meeting his wistful one. He dropped the cloth and stood straighter.

Unexpected wasn't decisive but he felt it was bestowed positively nevertheless. He couldn't look away as she drank deeply and he was quite suddenly aware of the beat throbbing in his neck, of feeling his veins overly full, wanting her to put the glass down and take from him. Unexpected, indeed. Acknowledging the cherry flavouring relieved him and he was able to smile at the fact that he'd reminded her she'd liked cherries, once. Or perhaps he was only responding to her smile, mirroring her actions like any besotted fool might.

"Artistic," he tasted the word, finding it appropriate. He'd certainly endeavoured to be so. "Oh, only a month or so. I've been working here for a year but it took me a while to come up with the idea and then I had to source the equipment, test whether it was effective, perfect the method," he answered affably, shrugging coyly. He was aware he was taking sole credit for the new menu items - and that she might find him insolent if he overplayed his hand - but he was proud of his invention. "I wanted to offer our valued customers something different and, thankfully, Jeanne gave me permission to experiment. She wants Venture to be known for satisfying as many desires as possible and I serve at the pleasure," he grinned, inclining his head playfully.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2019, 11:09:40 PM »
She felt the the pride behind his words, the confidence in his creation.  It was warranted, the drink had impressed her.  For something that wasn't directly from the flesh.

I serve at the pleasure.

"Do you."  Sonya gave a playful response and laughed in a light, musical way.  Her widening smile revealed the glint of fang past her lips.  She took the glass again, and another sip before speaking.

"Would you be available for outside work, or does Jeanne have a monopoly on you?"  Her tone was mildly suggestive as she glanced over his frame with casual interest.  Truthfully, her mind was on the upcoming October Masquerade she had been planning at her estate.  This new blood offering would provide something new besides the selection of live donors she typically hired for these kinds of parties. 

She wasn't keen on stepping on any Sacrament toes, however. 
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2019, 11:39:37 PM »
Kerr nibbled the inside of his lower lip, his gaze skipping from Sonya's luscious lips - with just the hint of pearly weaponry displayed - to her seawater eyes. He hoped for more behind her question and he didn't miss the way she looked him over. He was torn with indecision, wishing for her interest in him personally, rationally telling himself it was a business proposition and nothing more. Nothing to raise his hopes over, anyway.

Thoughts of how he'd caught Jeanne's eye that first night intervened regardless, reminding him that it had been purely business with her at first, too. Then she'd cornered him packing equipment away at the end of the party, fed from him and he'd manically fucked her up against the wall of the truck while everyone outside had been hustling to bump out. She'd lured him back to the estate the next night and things had progressed swiftly from there.

"I have a contract with Venture, not with Jeanne," he answered diplomatically, hoping his statement made where his loyalties lay clearer. "I work here nearly every night but I get nights off. I can arrange it so one falls when you need it to. When did you have in mind? What did you have in mind?" he asked huskily, his brown eyes glinting encouragingly at her. Want me, they said, like I want you.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2019, 01:32:59 AM »
His last question drew a raised brow, then a sly smile as she matched his gaze.

"I will be hosting a sort of... Halloween party,"  A mask of professionalism slipped over her tone and expression.  She leaned back on the stool and perched a bit more regally than before.  "It will take place on the thirty-first, from about an hour after sunset until a few hours before sunrise."  She paused here, sipping delicately at the blood again until about a third of the contents remained.

"You would be well compensated for your time in addition to any tips left.  I can provide funds up-front for the needed supplies and equipment."  She unsnapped her clutch and took out a pocket-sized notebook and a mini gold pen.  After taking a quick minute to write she tore out the page, returned the pen and notebook to her bag, and pulled out a few crisp bills.  She took a moment to savor the remainder of her drink, a last few seconds spent in human memories. 

Sonya studied Kerr for a moment to gauge his reaction before sliding the piece of paper across the surface of the bar along with payment for the drink, plus a generous tip. 

Under a printed phone number she had signed S. Turkevich in delicate, flourished script.

"Think on it and let me know.  Here is my cell.  I would be delighted if you could bring this artistry to my event."  She gave him a dazzling smile and stood.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2019, 10:00:56 PM »
He listened raptly while she described her party, disappointment washing through him. She was a woman of her word. She didn't want him, she wanted his 'artistry'. He should be flattered, he knew, but there was a sourness to the realisation that he'd been imagining a connection between them, an indefinable, mutual attraction. Consoling himself that he'd impacted her enough to have her go to any length to get him to work for her only left him hollow. He watched her write her note with the reverence of a fan meeting his favourite movie star.

Kerr picked up the elegantly-written number and cash when it was offered, his mouth dropping open at the amount she'd paid. Was it a bribe? It was an indulgent amount, so he was certain that was part of it, which made their whole exchange feel more tawdry than it had actually been. He shouldn't have been nearly as thrilled as he was by such a thing.

He nodded as he surveyed the phone number, looking up in startlement when she got to her feet. "I'll speak with Jeanne about it tomorrow night and let you know. Are you leaving?" he asked, blushing profusely as soon as the idiotic words came out of his mouth. What a stupid thing to say! Of course she was leaving, she needed to get home before sunrise. He was understanding Marco more and more as time wore on. "Here, this is too much," he added, attempting to slide two of the bills back across the bar in her direction.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2019, 10:55:50 PM »
His change in demeanor was palpable and she resisted the urge to giggle at it.  So easy to toy with!  How amusing to watch the pendulum swing between hope and disappointment.  Sonya ignored the comment about the money she had left, unaware of what the going prices for these sorts of drinks were.  Such amounts were of no consequence to her, she had simply assumed it would cover the bill plus some.

That blush was simply delicious.  She did not make a move to step away from the bar.

"Why," she spoke low, the spell back in her voice, "Have something more to impress me with?"  She was very interested to see what he would say, especially with time drawing near to sunrise.  There was a hunger in her eyes as she leaned forward against the bar. 

Would he whine and plea like Marco?  Was there enough confidence there to challenge her?  Or would he be too afraid that she would eat him if he tried?

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2019, 11:13:15 PM »
He grinned, pleasure at having delayed her even for a moment washing through him. Or perhaps that was just the aftereffect of looking into her eyes, which seemed to have changed colour, deepened or... something. He didn't care to define it, he just felt the resultant heat of it tugging at his loins, drawing him closer to her again.

"Only me," he admitted, looking her over boldly. His smile grew wicked as his gaze raked over her lips, down the pale column of her throat to the swell of her breasts. He couldn't see much more beyond the shield of the bar but his dark eyes told her he had an explicit imagination as he looked back up into her eyes. He wondered if she'd taste smoky or just bloody. He wondered where she'd let him taste her.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2019, 11:23:08 PM »
Smile a bit darker, Sonya straightened unconsciously as his eyes moved over her. 

"Is that so?"  There was a flash of fang again as she spoke through a smirk.  She leaned an elbow on the bar and perched her chin on her hand.  "And just how would you intend to do that?"

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2019, 11:44:50 PM »
Kerr opened his mouth to tell her all the ways he could impress her but a conspicuously absent tendril of rationality finally returned to him and caused him to look around. They weren't alone and he wasn't free to do whatever he wished right now. Admittedly, the crowd was thinning with only an hour of being open to go but he he couldn't simply walk away from the bar and take Sonya out to one of the feeding rooms for a romp. Not only was that against the ethos of being at work, she deserved so much better than a quickie feed and fuck. She deserved time and reverence and leisurely explorations with his tongue.

Now was not the time nor the place and his entire being mourned the realisation.

"In truth, I am aghast to admit," he confessed, hand on his heart as he lowered his head submissively, "now is neither the time nor the place for me to demonstrate my considerable other talents." He flashed a cheeky smile, confident that he wasn't lying. There'd been women who'd found him difficult to take into their bodies and men who'd outright refused to even try once they saw what lay coiled in his pants; 'considerable' was understating the matter and he had the skill to match. "I hope you'll forgive my arrogance and, perhaps, allow me to make it up to you when better circumstances align?" he enquired hopefully, glancing down at her phone number in his hand in order to confirm that he had the means to contact her and make that happen.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 12:11:54 AM »
Sonya laughed musically at his words, glad he had managed to retain his senses in the face of the apparent low hanging fruit before him.  Truthfully, had he implied anything else she would have told him that it sounded nice before she turned and headed out the door.

Oh, how she loved to leave them hanging.

"You know how to reach me."  She gave him a cute little smile before straightening her back again.  Now it was time to leave.  She extended her hand toward him--to kiss or shake depending on what he saw fit to do.

"It's been lovely speaking with you."  Sonya withdrew her hand, collected her bag and made her way out of Venture to the Escalade that had driven her here.   

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 01:07:13 AM »
Kerr grasped Sonya's petite hand in his much larger one, feeling like an oafish imposter as he leant forward to press a kiss to her soft, cool flesh. It wasn't a gesture that came naturally to him but the angle at which she'd proffered the hand had led him to believe this to be the only appropriate action. He enjoyed the contact, brief as it was, and smiled broadly as she complimented their conversation before sashaying her way out of Venture.

He found it very uncomfortable to reconcile the amount of times he stared at the empty space where he'd last seen her for the rest of that evening, not understanding what had been so very different about this vampiress that he was left pining for her mere minutes after meeting her. It wasn't his usual style.

The club emptied without incident and Kerr saw everyone out before he locked up. He went home and cooked himself some lean chicken and vegetables, fantasising about seeing Sonya again over a sizzling pan, barely watching what he was doing. As he ate, he imagined what he'd say when he called her, how she'd sound coming through wires and space, whether that superior tone of hers would translate. While he showered, he thought of seducing her, of heaving her against the tiles and driving into her, of how she'd sound when she peaked. He came quickly, leaning against the wall and milking his erection into the warm water swirling at his feet, thinking of pouring into her. She didn't leave his dreams all day.

Kerr was back at Venture before the sun set, checking all the mortal staff were present and attending to their assigned tasks. Fresh linens were collected and wrapped onto beds, new kegs tapped, full bags of blood hung in cold rooms and everything polished, vacuumed, disinfected and reset, ready for another night of dark discovery. When Jeanne arrived almost an hour after sunrise, he followed into her office, ready to give a status report and ask his unexpected question. She looked chic in her shiny black and white checked sixties-style mod dress with knee-high go-go boots and a truly epic half up, half down brunette bouffant hairstyle. On anyone else, it would've looked like a tacky attempt at retro styling; on Jeanne, it just looked like an outfit she'd found in her closet and felt like wearing tonight.

After he'd run through the club's report and she was smiling happily at him, he cleared his throat and launched into his personal request. "I-I wanted to talk to you about a night off, actually. Early this morning, we had a guest I made my cherry-smoked blood for. She wondered if I could be hired to make drinks for her vampire guests at her Halloween party. I said I'd ask," he admitted with a shrug, looking nervously at his ex-lover.

Jeanne's gaze sharpened immediately. "Who is she?"

It hadn't been the question Kerr had expected, so he was momentarily thrown. "Uh, Sonya Turkevich," he blinked. "Do you know her?"

Jeanne's lips compressed disapprovingly and jealousy flared as she looked Kerr over. All females were peripherally aware of the beautiful women that orbited in their spheres and doubly so if they were also kindred and of a certain age. Sonya Turkevich was all three but Jeanne had never had cause to be concerned by her. They'd circled one another a time or two, sniffing the competition out long enough to learn that Jeanne was older than Sonya, all while exchanging pretty pleasantries. Jeanne wasn't feeling particularly polite at hearing that the woman wanted Kerr - whom she considered hers - in any manner.

"We've met," she replied airily. "The party is the thirty-first, I presume?"

"Yes. Since it's never that busy, I thought... it might be okay?" he asked, his voice becoming high with false nonchalance. Halloween was, traditionally, a completely dead night for Venture (pun intended). Any night where supernaturals could roam the streets in their true and free forms and be accepted for having an ultra-realistic 'costume' while they infiltrated parties and were generally never looked at twice was going to have an effect on an establishment that provided those same select outcasts refuge for the other three hundred and sixty-four nights of the year. Why would they hide away in a club when they could walk among scantily-clad mortals that openly admired them? Venture was a ghost town on Halloween.

"So you've decided you will go, then?" she asked sharply.

Alarm bells went off in Kerr's head, causing him to sit up straighter in his seat. "I didn't mean to presume. I'm sorry," he said humbly, lowering his head. "It's your decision entirely," he said, looking at his black-clad knees fearfully.

Jeanne considered his reaction, mildly appeased by his subservience and silent acknowledgement of his role as hers. Well, her employee, anyway (thanks to Charon's decree). "I suppose we will be able to accommodate your absence for one night. I assume she'll be paying you for your time and that she knows you're contracted here?"

"She will and she does but I'll reiterate the point, if you wish."

"Very well. Have your party night," Jeanne decreed, waving an airy hand that Kerr rightly took to be his dismissal.

He hurried out of Jeanne's office and, as he passed by, stepped through an open door in the mirrored wall and into one of the feeding rooms. Closing the door for privacy and to take full advantage of the thorough sound-proofing in here, he sat down facing the club (which was more populated now) and pulled his personal mobile phone out of his pocket. He didn't even need to look at the piece of paper with her number on it anymore. He'd stared at it so much, it was committed to memory; he dialled Sonya's number and waited for her to pick up. When she did, he wouldn't prevaricate, saying: "Hi Sonya. This is Kerr Galvin - from Venture? I'm calling to confirm that I'm available to work at your Halloween party on the thirty-first."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »
"Kerr Galvin," his name glided from her mouth and she paused, savoring it.  "What a pleasure it is to hear from you."  With a single finger, Sonya wiped a streak of blood from her cheek and stuck it in her mouth. 

"I am simply thrilled that you can make it."  She spoke with a low, honeyed voice.  Taking a single step over Marco's cold body, she moved through the kitchen to the door to the garage.  Pulling the door open, she leaned her head in.

"Take care of the mess in the great room, if you please."  Sonya spoke quietly, holding the phone away from her mouth as she gave the command to her demon on staff.  He gave a wordless affirmative before she turned and headed back into the house.  She could hear the demon open the trunk of one of the Escalades and search the cupboards of the garage for cleaning supplies and a tarp. 

Her staff knew enough to work quickly.

"You weren't given too hard of a time about it, I hope?"  She spoke into the phone again, a smile on her face.  "I wouldn't want to trouble you needlessly."  It was borne less from genuine concern and more a tactful effort.  Sonya moved to the island in the center of the kitchen and leaned over the counter.

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2019, 11:33:21 PM »
Kerr's smile was broad, even though he was in an otherwise empty room and felt mildly foolish about it. Her voice travelled into his ear and curled intimately around him, warming him all over. He was encouraged by her positivity - firstly, the fact that she even remembered who he was was a plus and then the fact that she sounded genuinely happy to hear from him made him feel special.

There was a little bit of interference down the line but then her voice came back clearly. "No, no trouble really," he answered. "As long as I don't forget I'm contracted to Venture and that your party is just one night, everything will be fine. Are you wanting to get together to cover logistics before the event or have you got someone organising it that I should speak to?" he queried, hoping for a chance to see her alone.

He needed to know what sort of volume of blood she anticipated he'd need, whether she would source it or he'd have to, how many smoking stations she thought would satisfy demand (he thought three or four, he could comfortably supervise that many simultaneously but he might be thinking too large - how many guests did she typically host?) and generally what sort of event it was. Would he have to be in a costume? She'd told him money was no problem, that she'd pay for any equipment he'd need but how was he to be reimbursed? It was a gauche subject at the best of times but a good excuse to see her again.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2019, 04:03:33 AM »
"Of course,"  Sonya watched the demon with black, latex-gloved hands lay a tarp out beside Marco and gingerly roll him over onto it.  With deft hands, the tarp was tied with a rope as if he were preparing a roast.  She smiled wickedly.

"We can discuss the details together at your earliest convenience."  While some planning was left to others, she could handle this bit herself.  From the beginning, she had anticipated meeting with him after.  Where that would eventually lead, however, was yet to be seen.  With the distraction of Marco nearly dealt with, she was looking forward to interacting with this Kerr now that she was in a better mood.

Her eyes followed the demon as he carried the tarp into the garage.  It was deposited into the tarp-lined back of the Escalade with a thunk, and he reentered the house immediately with cleaning supplies.  Thankfully any mess had been contained to the smooth tile floor, the kill was exceedingly fresh, and Sonya had been a rather neat eater.  This made for a speedy cleanup and would be thoroughly complete in under an hour. 

Sonya moved away from the scene and toward the piano, taking the lighter and a clove cigarette from the pack that lay near the ashtray.

"I could give you a tour of the property if you'd like, or we could meet someplace else if you'd prefer?"  She placed the cigarette between her lips and lit it as she walked out to the back porch.  Hopefully, he wouldn't suggest they discuss things at Venture (she doubted he would).