Author Topic: Pulling an All-Nighter  (Read 14563 times)

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling an All-Nighter
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 11:12:59 PM »
Seeing Astrid blush made Siobhán  blush harder and the slight fluttering in her stomach turned into a storm of butterflies. Suddenly feeling flustered and a little overwhelmed by her emotions and her flash-fire attraction for Astrid she quickly turned away and headed for the lounge/dinning room. "How about we sit in the kitchen? I'll go grab a chair so we can talk while I cook for us?" She asked from over her shoulder as she placed the tea and pastry on the kitchen island counter

She mentally cringed at her attempt of acting normal, she sounded like a damn ninny and yet as she walked into the lounge room she noticed she was walking with an added swing and sashay to her steps. What in the name of Hades was she fucking doing?

"So how long have you lived here?" she asked as she picked up a dinning chair to carry back to the kitchen, only to realize she was going to need one for herself as well. Shit maybe the lounge would have been better, but then Astrid would have been left to sit by herself to twiddle her thumbs in a strangers house as she cooked in the kitchen, this whole situation was becoming more awkward by the second. Her lips twitched with amusement as she looked at Astrid, hoping her guest found the scenario just as awkwardly amusing. She flicked her eyes to the other chairs then back to Astrid; her Aunts always said nothing made a quest feel at home like putting them to work. "You wanna grab the other one?" she asked a little sheepishly

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
  • Night among strangers. Secrets in the dark.
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2019, 12:25:01 AM »
Don't stare.  She reminded herself as Siobhán walked into the lounge to get a chair.  Still have that syllabus to write...  She did, however, watch Siobhán move in spite of herself, thinking about how it would be to dance with her.  Or draw her.  Nevermind the fact that they had literally just met.  The question snapped her out of the daydream and she was grateful for the distraction.

"About three months now, I guess?"  She watched Siobhán's indecision as she answered.  It was cute.  Astrid couldn't help but laugh and crossed over to a corner of the room to plop down her backpack so it would be out of the way. 

"Yeah, sure, absolutely!"  She did a quick jog over to the chair and brought it into the kitchen, setting it down a polite distance away from the other chair.  The jacket that she had put back on for ease of transport took its place at the back of the chair before she sat down. 

"How about you, how long have you been living here?"
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai
Old things have strange hungers. - Catherynne M. Valente

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2019, 10:55:52 PM »
"About two and a half years now"  Siobhán replied as she pulled frying pans, knives, bowls and all the other cooking utensils she would need to prepare their meal. " I lived in a small apartment across from Memorial park until I brought this place about six months ago, poured most of the money I had into renovating and the cafe set up and finally opened it for business three weeks ago." she added as she gathered most of the ingredients and piled them onto the counters.

"So do you you live in this part of the city as well?" She hoped the answer was yes, just as she hoped Astrid and herself would become friends as she couldn't deny the pull she felt towards the attractive tattooed witch. Her hands hesitated as she placed it upon the paper wrapped bacon in the fridge. She didn't know if Astrid was vegetarian or not and had forgotten to ask, her lips crinkled up in indecision before she pulled the packet of meat out and held it up for Astrid to see with her eyebrow raised questioningly.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 02:14:16 AM »
Astrid watched her take out kitchen tools, feeling a bit bashful now that she was about to watch a new acquaintance cook a meal for her.  She listened attentively to Siobhán's brief history, about herself and the cafe.  "Only three weeks?  It feels like it's always been here."  The cafe had established that sort of energy, and she felt it the moment she set a foot in the door.  If she'd have guessed, Astrid would've thought the cafe was in business for a couple of years.  Good, comforting energy--it felt safe and secure. 

But witches had that effect on things, so it made sense.   

"I'm uh, temporarily living in the South District at the Parlor in Purgatory."  She rubbed the back of her head and glanced away briefly.  "I'm saving up to find someplace more permanent."  She added with a smile, looking back up in time to see the silent question gestured at the bacon.  Her stomach growled again.

"Oh gods yes," Astrid grinned.  "Do you want me to help with anything?  I mean, I do know how to cook so..."  She trailed off, unable to quite decide if offering (or insisting) to help would be more or less polite.   
Anna/Odessa/Sonya || Astrid || Chtahzus'aak/Zeus || Extasis || Fler || Jeremiah || Laurent/Va'tamal || Malakai || Rachel || Vai

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 10:34:26 PM »
" Oh thank you meat gods! I was afraid you were going to tell me you were a total vego." She screwed her face up in the universal yuck scrunch look before she smiled broadly. "You can dice up the bacon while I do the onions and garlic if you like. How does that sound?" She really liked the idea of them both cooking the meal as it would help to breakdown any lingering initial awks between them hopefully.

"This building has been here awhile and has always been a kind of eatery cafe in one way or another. It's energy was easy to work with and cleanse, no real residual bad juju to deal with." she said as she pulled out extra chopping boards, knives and towels for Astrid to use. " I am really glad you like it tho, so thank you. You do like it right? " She asked with a half smile, her tone light and rich with her evident amusement and joking nature about the question.

"How are you finding Purgatory? and where are you thinking of looking for your own place? If you don't mind me asking that is." She added as she looked over her shoulder towards Astrid with two brown onions held firmly in her hand.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 11:28:31 PM »
Astrid laughed at Siobhán's reaction and mirrored her smile. 

"That sounds great!"  She was happy to do something with her hands, it made it easier to talk and not look like a complete fool.  Quickly to her feet, she stood in front of the prep space and began to unwrap the bacon.  "I do love it, actually."  She noted the joke in Siobhán's tone but took the opportunity to be genuine.

"Purgatory is...interesting,"  Astrid let out a sharp laugh and set right to work with chopping as she continued to talk.  Her knifework was relatively fast and accurate with no formal culinary training, her comfort stemming more from her intimate experience with making blades.  "I am going to miss it there when I do eventually find a place."  She'd gotten used to the strange and magical things that happened there, and the eclectic bunch of folks who stayed there.  But she'd especially miss the energy of the building.  And Sabrina.

"I haven't the slightest idea of where to look, honestly."  She pushed the chopped bacon into a neat pile and looked up from the counter at Siobhán.  " The West is charming," she began slowly, "But there's too much unrest here, I think."  It was just a feeling--she wasn't entirely sure what was going on politically but the Sight had shown a troubling history.  "I'd like to be close to the park in the South, but the beach would be nice too."  She sighed thoughtfully.  It wasn't as though she had money saved yet so looking felt pointless.

"You've been here longer--any suggestions?"

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »
Siobhán smiled broadly at Astrid's genuine response to her question about Sanctuary. It warmed her heart and made all the hard work and long hours so very worth it.

"I stayed at Purgatory myself  just a few days ago. It was just for the night but, yeah. The place is very interesting, amazing actually and I really liked Sabrina." Which reminded her that she should go and visit her again in the next couple of days, to say thank you again at the very least.

She finished chopping the onions and garlic and had pulled a tomato towards herself and her knife when Astrid finished the bacon and asked for her opinion. She stopped what she was doing for a moment to consider before she started dicing up the tomato. "You're right about the West, when I brought the cafe the energy was different, more open, hopeful. It was a community coming together and slowly finding itself but it's all changed now. it's why I called the cafe Sanctuary because I felt this community would need one." Which it did, guessing by all the different people Psych would ask permission for to stay the night. He would bring them in late in the afternoon and they were always gone shortly after daybreak. Psych asked her to ask no questions, more for her safety then anyone else's, or so he said, but she saw the sorrow, fear and confusion on their faces and felt it pouring from their souls. So she offered them food, a comforting hand or a shoulder to cry on and healing to the few that needed it. " I don't know, to be perfectly honest. The energy of the whole city has changed recently, it's all so much darker, more chaotic. If i was going to pick a place on safety and stability I would choose the South"

"She turned and smiled wickedly at Astrid. " Somehow I doubt Sabrina would tolerate all the malarkey going on elsewhere to enter her domain."

The hissing of water overflowing from the small pot on the stove had her turning down dials and pulling extra odd jars and items from the cupboards.

"So what brought you to the city to start with? Work, or escaping out from beneath the the arms of a pair of overprotective aunts and the smothering attitude and mentality of a small country town?" she asked with another amused smile as she slapped some butter into the two griddle pans heating up on the stove.
"And you can crack and whisk the eggs if you want."

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 12:23:53 AM »
"Oh really?"  So Siobhán had been at the Parlour.  "Must've just missed you then."  Truth be told, Astrid had been holed-up in her room working.

Hearing Sanctuary's mission warmed her, adding another layer of depth to the appreciation for it that she already had.  She was humbled by Siobhán's selflessness.  Images of harboring the tearful and terrified touched her Sight, enough to hitch her breath.  "Wow," she replied softly.  Astrid doubted she'd have the same willingness to open her home and place of work to the community like that.  For a moment she was lost between the explanation and what she'd Seen, expression twinged with sorrow as she kept her eyes on the knife in her hand.  She wanted to ask more about it, about the political storm that impregnated the atmosphere with electricity, but it felt too dark.  It wasn't the kind of thing she wanted to focus on.

Looking back up at the mention of Sabrina, she laughed.  "Yeah, I doubt it."  If there was one thing she could rely on, it was that Sabrina could keep her safe.  Maybe it was time to start looking--she had a secure, well-paying job now.  With a smile lingering on her lips, she watched Siobhán pull more things from the cupboard.  There was just something about watching someone work in a familiar kitchen that she found to be intimate.  It was like a glance into someone's private life or something like that.

When Siobhán asked her question, she laughed lightly but it didn't quite reach her eyes.  "Uh," she hesitated, fighting against the bitter smile on her face and keeping her hands busy with egg-cracking.  "A change in scenery I guess you could say."  Her eyes were fixed on the egg yolks suspended in white in the bowl, swaying gently with each new addition.  "I've only been in the US for about eight years."  Crack.  "Went to college across the country."  She swallowed and began to gently whisk the eggs.  "And after that had run its course, I traveled from state to state."  Her face was feeling a bit flush.  "Until I started hearing stories about Sabrina, and this city, so I made my way here."  She glanced at Siobhán and offered a small smile.  "Figured an interesting city with a powerful witch sounded like a cool place to settle."

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2019, 09:25:02 PM »
Siobhan stopped what she was doing as Astrid talked, she couldn’t See what Astrid had been through because even though she had the potential for premonition, clairvoyance and the Sight, it was a part of herself that she never utilized and purposefully neglected. However, she could feel Astrids emotions as she spoke, they crashed upon her like a soft crashing wave upon the shore, such pain and sorrow, such grief, and overlaying all of that was a profane sense of loneliness. Most of the emotions were old and dealt with for the most part, except the loneliness

She knew what it was to feel like that, to feel all of that, especially the loneliness. A tear formed in her eyes as she reached out her right hand and gently touched Astrid's wrist with her fingertips, laying them softly across her skin. She didn’t want to intrude or presume and so kept the touch light, she just wanted to give the other woman some comfort and let her know that she understood, and that neither of them was as alone as they thought.

She offered a soft smile to go along with the touch before she tried to wipe away her tears as subtly as possible before she went back to making the witches brew. She ground up some orange peel, lime peel, two cardamom seeds, some caraway seeds, bergamot tea leaves, some juniper berries and half a stick of cinnomon in a pestle and mortar, to the side she put some fennel, anise and a few strands of licorice root with a considering look upon her face before she began to grind the other herbs and berries together.

The very aroma released by the grinding concoction helped to clear and focus her thoughts a little and sent a tiny zing of energy to zip through her body but with each clockwise motion of the pestle she sent energy into the mix as well, calling to their natural properties, charging the mixture to boost acuity, clarity and focus of thought, to re-energize and revitalize not just the mind but the body too. For those with the power and skill to see, the mortar and the air above it began to glow with a soft pulsating golden light filled with red, green and orange sparkles. She didn’t know if Astrid would see it, to her it was normal, well normal for a freak like her anyway but it wasn’t something she could prevent either, all her potions, lotions, prepared spells, crystals and magical paraphernalia reacted so when she charged them with energy. Her stomach dropped with dread however when it all started to glow, she didn’t want Astrid to fear her, or think her a freak. Hopefully she wouldn’t see it, it was a hit and miss whether her aunts saw it and Psych said he didn’t but she wasn’t sure she believed him, she was sure she had seen him with wide eyes sometimes when she was “making” stuff.

“Do you like the taste of licorice or aniseed?” she turned and asked, indicated the items she had left out on the counter beside the mortar. “It will add some needed sweetness to the brew but if not I can just add some honey or honeysuckle.” Her smile was warm, but her eyes held a brittleness and a touch of fear as she looked at Astrid.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 10:05:54 PM »
The touch was unexpected--had she really been that obvious?  No, witches had a way of picking up on things, it shouldn't have come as a surprise, but after being away from others for so long she must've forgotten.  Astrid couldn't bring herself to look at Siobhan, uncertain about what her face would betray.  It certainly felt hot.  And tense.  She was relieved when the other witch didn't ask any questions and moved onto preparing a brew.

It made things easier to push aside.

When she did finally look up, it was the crackling of energy that drew her attention.  She was grateful for something else to focus on.  Each ingredient was familiar to her, easily distinguishable by scent alone--such was her familiarity with herbs.  The glowing particles of energy weren't strange to her in any way, she had a similar effect when working her own craft.  Back home, with family working together on one big brew for a feast day, an entire cauldron alight with glow was something to behold. 

It made her a little homesick.

Siobhan's question snapped her out of the daydream, and she met the other witch's eye with a smile.  She wanted to explain that she was used to the most bitter of potions, but something in Siobhan's expression stopped her.  Was she feeling self-conscious?  Maybe she wasn't used to being watched like this. 

"Either is fine, I'm not picky."  Astrid wanted to say something encouraging, but after dancing around an emotional topic she was feeling quiet. 

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2019, 11:03:10 PM »
Siobhan relaxed at Astrids response, there was no surprise, judgement or reservation in her eyes and because of that, tension she hadn't even been aware of eased from between her shoulders. She sensed the quietness around Astrid and new it was because some old pain had been stirred up and guessed she needed a little time for it to settle again. There was nothing worse then having someone poke and prod in an attempt to "shake" you out of it. She should know. So to give her time she added the fennel seed and licorice fibers to the mix in the mortar, figuring the touch of sweetness would be nice, plus the aid in digestion it would add probably wouldn't hurt them either considering how late it was. She then placed the ground herbs into a tea ball and placed that into the gently simmering pot of water.

While that all seeped and brewed in the pot she added the onion and garlic to the melted butter in the skillets,  the scent of the cooking aromatics tickled her nose and made her stomach grumble in hunger, just as the onions started turning translucent she added the bacon and that's when her stomach really gurgled with hunger, the loud rumbling had her rubbing her stomach and grinning towards Astrid who had finished beating the eggs.

" That was unexpected, guess I was hungrier then I thought" She wanted to know more about her dinner guest but wanted to keep the conversation light at the same time. "What was the other subject you said you are going to teach? Crafting magical jewellery was it?"

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 01:50:17 AM »
Delicious smells lent to a swift recovery, her stomach joining in chorus with the sizzling.

"The trifecta of flavor magic,"  she grinned just the same and leaned a hip against the countertop, crossing her arms comfortably over her chest.

Astrid perked up when the conversation steered back toward her classes.  A range of emotion swept through her expression; excitement at the upcoming Academy Grand Opening, pride in what she'd accomplished so far in her preparations, and apprehension when she remembered the whole point of her being at Sanctuary in the first place was to finish the syllabi. 

"Basically--Crafting of Magical Objects.  It's going to cover the basics since it's only an introduction course.  By the end of it, students will be making and enchanting their own little objects."  She smiled, looking off and imagining a group of fresh-eyed witchlings in the making hunched over their work.  Not that they'd all be witches.  Or little, for that matter.  The image was endearing though.  "Nothing too intense, though.  Basic spellwork like personal glamours, confidence boosters, things like that.  Anything else seemed better suited for an advanced course for the more gifted students."  She meant to say magically inclined, or something to that nature.  While she was under the personal belief that anyone could do whatever they set their mind to, how far they would go was ultimately up to the hand they were dealt.  Witchcraft was a talent as much as it was a skill unless you were going around making deals with demons in exchange for power.   But even then, it was more like borrowing.

Besides, more advanced craftings meant rarer ingredients and more time, maybe even a personal apprenticeship.  That wasn't something she was willing to take on at this point in her life.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2019, 09:40:24 PM »
 As Siobhan added the eggs to the ingredients cooking in the skillets she wondered if she would ever have the confidence within herself and her abilities to ever be able to teach someone. At that moment she was humbled by Astrid, her self confidence and her abilities, and regretted so very much her neglect of her own craft and abilities, for shrouding herself in so much grief, anger and fear that she had blinded herself to everything. Astrid's joy as she spoke of her upcoming classes and her chosen subjects had her swearing to herself to seriously study and practice her craft more vigorously; she owed it to herself and her family.

"Your classes are going to be amazing, a positive light in a city so used to shadows and darkness." She sighed wistfully as she added the tomato, cheese and cracked pepper to the omelets. Attending such a place would have been amazing when she was younger, to be able to study with like minded people rather then within your own small family or clan. To know you weren't so very alone or so very different from everyone around you.

"When does the Academy actually open and how much is tuition?" she asked  with a gleam of excitement in her eyes. Taking some classes would be good for her, it was time she stepped out into the light of the world.

The omelets were cooked enough to give a flick of the pans and she smiled brightly as they folded perfectly in half over themselves, revealing a nice light golden top. No under cooked squished omelets for them tonight.

Offline The Cedar Witch

• Novelist
    • View Profile
    • Modern Magix
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 07:46:29 AM »
Astrid blushed at the whole making a 'positive light in a city of shadows and darkness' thing.  She wasn't sure that two of her classes had that kind of power--nevermind the fact that she wasn't entirely sure how many people were going to sign up for them. 

"Next week,"  Too damn soon.  "I'm not entirely sure how much tuition is, but there's going to be a grand opening tomorrow night if you were interested."  Her expression might've been a bit too hopeful as she glanced at the other witch.  Thankfully, the movement of expertly-flipped omelets gave her something else to focus on.

"That smells--and looks--amazing.  Where do you keep your plates?"  She looked around as if to suddenly spot them, intent on being as helpful as possible. 

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2019, 01:36:58 AM »
" Thank you, hopefully they taste as good as they smell. I might even add them to the menu." Maybe she should look to hiring a part time cook as well as a new barista.

She gave the omelets on final flip and smiled as the melted cheese started to ooze the the edges ever so slightly. These babies were done. She turned towards Astrid and caught her gaze with her own. "I would love to come to the opening tomorrow, thank you."She held her gaze a moment but then let go when she felt heat and color entering her cheeks for the hundredth time that night.

" Ummm, Plates and mugs are in the cupboards under the island counter and the cutlery are in the center draws above them." She said in an almost rush, hoping to distract from her pink cheeks. Astrid most definitely pulled at her and intrigued her, in so many different ways. However, she didn't know what it meant nor what to do about it and so she was left feeling all fluttery and nervous.

"Would you like to eat here or at the dining table?"she did a long blink and smiled as she realized their conversation had just come around full circle. for it was the same question she asked when they had first entered the kitchen.