Author Topic: Return Of A Star Player  (Read 7537 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Return Of A Star Player
« on: January 19, 2019, 11:33:13 AM »
LAZARUS HAD INTENDED to make a grand entrance. He'd flipped his hair until it cascaded beautifully about his shoulders, a few strands escaping for him to peekaboo through with his eyes. Wearing a crisp white button-down (with the top three undone) and hip-hugging jeans over engineer's boots, he didn't need a mirror to know he looked fine.

No, more than that. Damn fine.

The most important thing he wore was the bulky amethyst ring on the fourth finger of his right hand. His shield of protection that halted any mental attacks upon him. It blocked everything mental in fact, to the point where other vampires and mind-reading creatures wouldn't be able to glean anything going on in his head. If anybody wanted to cause him harm, they'd have to do it the old-fashioned physical way, and that was how he liked it. Even though he had two milennia worth of age, he'd ignored his mental abilities and only supernatural strength remained - and that particular skill was ripe and well-evolved.

The smirk on his face belied his self-importance. He strut into the White Rabbit like it was his personal domain. It was only once he was addressed for a demand of a cover charge that his entrance was spoiled. His arrogant countenance turned on the silly young bloodsucker who'd dared to ask him for money.

"Away with you, beggar. I have an appointment."

He had no such thing, but he'd seen the signs for a role that would assign him power in this city - and he wanted it. He was tired of being unknown. How quickly these scatterbrained fools forget. He used to run this city, coming into power twice!

Third time's the charm, he thought.

The idiot vampire at the door didn't seem to recognise his importance and was blathering about how there were no appointments tonight.

"Well, make one!" Lazarus snarled, whipping around to glare at the young thing who dared to challenge him. Lazarus considered ending him, but that wouldn't be a good start for his job interview.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
Re: Return Of A Star Player
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 08:39:46 PM »
The upstairs bar of The White Rabbit had been transformed from it's usual state into something that smelt more like lust, pleasure and greed. The open dance floor had been struck and large red couches had been tastefully arranged. The stage was empty tonight. The large PA played a variety of tasteful smut, late 90's EDM with just a touch of the melodramatic. Even the lights had been lowered and flushed with red filters. It was all to support the strippers working their trade. Businessmen sat on the couches, legs spread and laps full of flesh. The flesh gyrated, pulsated and massaged the laps, and the businessmen all looked fat and happy as their rocks were gotten off. The event was going well enough that the bar's manager made a bold suggestion.

"We should do this event once every two weeks," said Lisa-Joe Hampton. Shoulder length hair rested on her shoulders and a female dancer all her own rested in her lap. The Brujah had dressed the part of the event, wearing a sleek blue pantsuit. Several gold bangles rested on her arms, and high heels lay forgotten by her feet. Her companion seemed to greet her suggestion with mixed enthusiasm.

"Well, let's see how much money we made, and we really should focus more on the district and less on the bar." Jake McCloud simply refused to enjoy himself, despite two of the male dancers vying for his attention. Lisa scoffed and turned her head to the district leader. Her expression was a mixture of annoyance and pity, wrapped up in a polite southern smile. "Relax Sugah. We just got back. Let the politics wait a second. Shouldn't you just be spending time with Sam? Fucking? Maybe even dating?" She turned to her dancer and locked eyes. "Enjoy the moment more." Jake looked at though he might respond but was interrupted by a very confused junior Brujah. At first, Jake could not fathom that he'd interrupt them for something so trivial as an unwanted guest. However, the youth explained that the man had long blonde hair, a big ring and a really bad attitude.

"It can't be," Jake exclaimed. His face contorted into a puzzled grimace. "Go greet our guest Lisa," Jake requested. "Make him feel... very welcome for having disturbed our evening."

"You want me to hit him," she asked. It seemed like a sensible thing to cover. She gingerly placed her dancer on the couch. They exchanged whispers of when next they'd meet.

"Only if he's being a real shite," Jake answered. "Figure out what he wants with us and if you think I need to see him bring him up here." Jake was wearing a black two piece suit with silver pinstripes. He'd cut his hair down to a subtle fade with the top being gelled and combed to the side. The Ventrue knew his hair wouldn't grow back, but times had changed and Jake made sure he had a haircut to match. He grabbed the nearest male dancer and kissed his neck. His presence discipline activated and within seconds his aura made him the most desirable person in the room. Both dancers and clients whispered, "who's the boy?"

"Give me a good dance" he instructed the muscular body he'd just been kissing. If he was going to meet with Lazarus, he'd be walking into a room where Jake wasn't sitting and waiting politely. 

Lisa-Joe found her heels and put them back on, before heading down to the first floor where Lazarus would've been told to wait. She'd never had the pleasure of meeting someone so old, and she made a mental note to constantly remind him about it. "Good evening Sugah," she greeted politely. "I hear you're down here demanding an appointment. My first question is who the hell are you? Oh, and who are you here to see?"
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 08:35:38 PM »
Lazarus prowled the lower floor, taking in everything - the ambience, the music, the smell of sex and money upstairs. He heard voices beneath the bass but hadn't turned an ear towards it. They were talking about him, as they should be. He didn't have to hear it to know it. The way the silly sod had scuttled off was pleasing, and Lazarus had been content.

But now, as he faced who was coming down to see him, the contentment evaporated and annoyance took its place.

Ugh, a woman. He had no use for those. Especially uninformed ones, or ones that didn't have any power. (But frankly, if he was going to meet a woman, he preferred the ones that weren't powerful, because the worse thing than having to deal with a woman was having to deal with a woman that could mess with him). He shuddered at the memory of Sabrina, the witch who'd cursed him over a decade ago. He put that black-demon bitch at the back of his mind.

"If you don't know who I am, then you're not important enough to talk to me," Lazarus sniffed. "Run along and get your boss." He made a shooing gesture, aiming it back at the stairs from whence she came.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 04:45:40 AM »
Lisa-Joe cracked her knuckles, and stuck her tongue into her check. Her head looked to the stairs as Lazarus pointed to them, but then she tilted it back towards the pretty boy. Her expression mixed together her boredom, her annoyance, and a bit of contempt. She walked closer to this man-child, with his pretty long hair.

"Or your not 'important' enough to be known anymore," she counter offered. In reality, she knew who this was. Jake had told her all about the mad elder who treated running the city like a dragon sitting on top of his hoard. Or was he actually a dragon? She could've swore at some point somebody in charge had been one. "And he ain't coming to you. You're going to him."

She decided the best thing to do to avoid the entire bar and herself fighting this twat was to just take him to Jake. She wondered if he drove in. She could always key his car or something. She moved towards the stairs indicating he should follow along, but turned to block the passageway with her body. "My name is Lisa-Joe Hampton, one of the owners of this fine establishment. Tell me why you're here and I'll take you to District Leader McCloud. If you don't care to tell me your business the exit is there, and you can call the district's main phone line and make an actual appointment just like everyone else." She made sure to put emphasis on the last few words. "Do you need the number?"

Lazarus would likely notice several biker looking vampires watching the situation with interest.

From the second floor Jake waited, receiving his lap dance, but mind firmly on the situation downstairs.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
Her suggestion that she didn't know him because he wasn't important or known had him puffing a light scoff. Typical female, twisting his words.

When she refused to co-operate but followed up with a declaration that she would take him to Jake McCloud only after knowing why, he realised why she was being obtuse. She was McCloud's secretary! All the business people had one. It brought a smile to his face as he now knew how to deal with her. It was funny though... Lazarus had never kept just one underling when he'd been in power - he'd ordered whoever was closest to fetch this or get rid of that. The revolving door of pretty faces and willing bodies had been more appealing to him than keeping a favourite around.

But then he thought of Ben and his charming smile lost some of its shine. Never mind him, he'd come crawling back to Lazarus one day.

"Jake McCloud advertised for someone of my calibre. I thought to myself, why have a cheap knockoff when you can get the original? He'll want to talk to me about what I can do for him."

There. See what the bitch made of that.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 05:07:37 PM »
Lisa let a subtle but rude smile overtake her. She thought of a hundred women who worked in retail who'd given her that look over the years. The face said "the customer is always right," but the eyes said, "you stupid fucking bitch." She turned slowly towards the stairs and began to ascend them. Once dropping off this little gift to Jake, she thought she'd go for a nice walk. Maybe she'd find a car that belonged to him, and maybe she'd key it all to hell. Her plan depended on if he drove, but she made it her mission to in some way to send a message of petty revenge. This thought gave the bar maiden comfort as she entered the second floor.

Lisa-Joe lit up a nasty Red Apple cigarette and blew the smoke dangerously near Lazarus. She pointed towards the twink in a suit, his crotch currently occupied by the dancer named, Federico. "He's over there. Mind your manners." She walked off, annoyed at the job of chaperone. She would go downstairs and out to where there was street parking to look for his car, just in case he drove here.

Jake saw Lazarus enter the second floor, a single eye focused there. The dancer moved up and down on him, lost in his aura, but Jake looked disinterested. He raised a hand to Lazarus and motioned him to come back. Lazarus would probably have just walked over anyway, but he figured this would at least send the message he'd be received. He'd point to the spot on the couch where Lisa-Joe had been sitting.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 09:16:29 PM »
Lisa-Joe had nothing to key. Lazarus was the kind of vampire who could just show up. Nobody drove him and he would certainly never take the bus. He never had any money or possessions beyond what he wore, but somehow - and much like his existence - he always managed to get where he was going. After a few bad turns of course, but that was the balance of being Lazarus. Outstanding highs and maudlin lows. He wouldn't have survived two thousand years any other way.

The cigarette smoke had been a welcome treat and timely reminder that Lazarus had a crumpled pack in his jeans pocket. Instead of interrupting the dance or even approaching at Jake McCloud's beckoning, Lazarus took his time getting his pack out and flipping it open to see two cigarettes there sans lighter. Fuck, there went his grand entrance. He took a ciggy out and tapped it against the pack anyway before making the latter disappear, back into his jeans pocket. Smiling with the unlit cigarette clamped between his lips, he sauntered over to Jake and poured himself onto the couch.

Preening for a moment, his gaze raked the dancer in front of Jake before he turned his full attention on the District Leader.

"So, love, did you forget how to spell my name?" The cigarette bobbed up and down as he spoke.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 12:28:47 PM »
While Lisa-Joe was on her fruitless search, Jake McCloud was greeting the devil himself. Jake noticed the unlit cigarette and pulled out a silver cigarette case. Inside was a selection of hand rolled tobacco. He put one in his mouth and lit it before offering a light to Lazarus. As he offered the light, he smiled a bit more suggestively than was normal for a chance meeting. All the while Federico looked envious that Jake was giving another attention. He gave Lazarus a lustful and hateful stare. Jake drew him back with just the sound of his voice. "Freddy, why don't you go tell that nice guard to take you to my room. I'll be along shorty." Federico looked sad to go, but a change in Jake's aura sent him walking, almost as if he feared not to. Jake, crotch now free, turned to his important guest. 

"P - A - I - N. Nope," he ribbed, taking a long drag of his hand rolled stick. "How are you Lazarus?" Despite his jab, his tone was polite and friendly. He seemed open to the visit, however, he was a bit skeptical as to it's purpose. He knew his Awe would not pierce Lazarus's ring, but kept the effect going anyway. 
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 04:26:28 PM »
When the flame was offered, Lazarus leant forward and met Jake's stare, pursing his lips to align it with the lighter's flicker. The eye-contact was solid and daring and his interest in Jake piqued because of it. He leant back and assessed the exchange between dancer and host, human and vampire, prey and beast. It was giving him all kinds of tingly in all the right places. Nothing was so erotic as playing with one's food. That's why he didn't like when other vampires got their fingers in his food.

Unless it was by invitation. Hmn. He hadn't had a good orgy in over a year. Since his oldest fledge had come to town, in fact, and they'd played with Lazarus' lookalike.

The spelling jest caught his attention, separating Lazarus from his erotic memories and appropriate dinner manners. He tipped his head and looked down his nose at Jake, the smile never leaving his face. He plucked his cigarette from his lips and waved it around as he spoke, his hand gesturing to and fro while accentuating his speech, making small circles in the air with the heated tip of the burning white stick, and dripping ash over himself, the couch and the floor.

"I'm so glad you asked, love. I've been moping around this city for far too long without a respectable purpose. Though I have been entertaining myself with that new club that opened after Risk got torn apart by those wolfie-dogs." Lazarus screwed up his nose momentarily, in a gesture that belied his opinion about the smell of such 'wolfie-dogs', or werewolves, as they were more commonly referred to. "You know Club Vanture makes a big show of not allowing the riff-raff in, but I got in okay." Lazarus bellowed laughter for a short moment before smirking at Jake through half-lidded eyes and returning the floating cigarette back to his lips for another puff.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2019, 06:05:32 PM »
Jake watched Lazarus's mouth overtake the butt of his cigarette and his eyebrows arched a tiny bit, before relaxing. His face was all smiles as he listened to Lazarus talk. Jake's eyes were focused and yet unknowable in their intent, a fortification of his inner facade. He moved slightly closer on the red couches, unbuttoning his jacket as he did. Several hopeful mortals and Kindred seemed disappointed that the two most important people in the room seemed interested in only talking to one another.

The Ventrue had only been to Venture once, and his progeny had made such a fool of him he'd never returned. In truth, he'd been bitter that Vomas had gotten the gift in his district. Jake had wanted that club, and so while he'd paid them the politeness of a visit, at the end of the day they were the competition. Jake nodded ascent when Lazarus mentioned the wolves. He feared them, like most intelligent Kindred did. He didn't hate them or wish them ill, but he didn't want to have tea with one either. Lazarus felt like a bit of a production, but luckily for him Jake was enjoying the show.

The two words that stuck out in Jake's mind as he listened were "respectful purpose." Jake smiled warmly at that. Was he here to ask for a job? The would be Baron officially could not have wanted to be anywhere else in the world. He looked downright smitten!

"Well we here at the White Rabbit cater to riff-raff so welcome home," Jake said, letting himself brag about his punk temple of smut. He took another drag, letting the smoke billow out of his nose as his eyes returned to Lazarus.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 11:25:17 AM »
Lazarus watched Jake as he himself was watched. They were doing a lot of dancing around one another while sitting on this couch. When Jake mentioned the White Rabbit's preferred clientele, Lazarus spared it another look. His gaze took in the rough boys and reminded him of some of the pretty boys who would dress up the same but couldn't match this crowd. The ruffian look had never appealed to him as much as those pretending to be 'good'; who dressed nicely, spoke politely and considered themselves above others... yet were still willing participants of their own corruption while protesting the whole way. Considering how many Lazarus had led down that path, he should be bored of the routine by now, but he still liked the pretty boys best.

"Thank you," he said, because he could still be gracious. He eyed Jake, knowing that the other vampire knew he had something Lazarus wanted. It made their coming together unequal. If their situations had been reversed, Lazarus wouldn't have minded a bit of grovelling, a bit of worship... it was hard to know what Jake wanted from him. Lazarus had only his reputation, and it wasn't all good. He might've gained power in the city twice, but he'd also lost it twice. Best not focus on that. "Is that something you'd care to offer me? A place to hang my... hat?"

He wasn't just going to come out and ask for the job. Not unless Jake sounded like he would accept. Rejection wasn't anything Lazarus dealt with well, and he didn't want to lose his shit in here.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 12:58:22 PM »
The dance was fun to Jake, and he found so few vampires who still wanted to play it. He moved closer still, now almost in the ancient's lap. His eyes were half open and sparkled in their laziness and relaxed appearance. Jake didn't often think of himself as a pretty young thing, when in reality if you take off the suit that's exactly what he looked like. Most things he wanted he just took. When you spent so much of eternity fighting and scheming, you tended to forget how something as simple as flirting worked. Dominate had spoiled him, and as he sat there in his suit that was too mature looking for him, he wondered what it would be like to just be a pretty boy for a night. However, Lazarus hadn't come here to flirt and Jake knew that it was always important to take care of business first.

So, he wouldn't ask for a job, but he certainty wanted one. Jake thought quickly about how to handle that kind of split. On the one hand, he wanted to make Lazarus work for it, but on the other he didn't want to lose this potential opportunity. The Anarch thought of all those Camarilla harpies with their stunning looks, fearful reputations and books of boons and secrets. Lazarus was pretty. He was feared, and like the best Harpies in history, Jake couldn't ever really trust him. He was actually perfect for the gig.

"Well," Jake dangled, letting a pregnant pause fill the moment. "I'm looking for someone to be my Harpy. Are you familiar with the concept?" Lazarus was old enough to have at least heard of the Camarilla, but Jake wasn't sure a term like Harpy translated. It was an odd gig in reality. One part judge, one part diplomat, one part court gossip and and one part adviser; harpies had a lot on their plates, but as Jake examined the long blonde hair, pretty eyes, and cruel face silhouetted in smoke, he saw a worthy candidate.

Now, how best to control him, Jake thought, a mental image of that damn ring popping into his brain. His face was an appetizing invitation, mischievous and mysterious.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »
Lazarus loved a bit of drama, so the silence prickled and taunted him in a manner much like foreplay.

To say he was disappointed by Jake's suggestion would be a clear understatement, made obvious by the way his face fell. Lips parted and twisted as the word turned in his mind. Harpy? Wasn't that a fucking bird with the head of a woman? He'd come here looking to be assistant manager or whatever the number two in charge of a district was called. He narrowed his eyes and was about to unleash his opinion onto Jake about what he could do with his fucking Harpy role before another thought stopped him.

What if a harpy wasn't what he thought it was?

Lazarus wasn't very good at second-guessing himself, and he certainly wasn't any good at hiding what was going on with his face. Jake would've seen disgust cross Lazarus' narrow features before anger and shrewdness took over, which then gave way to surprise and confusion. Right now Lazarus stared at him blankly. To stall for time he took a puff of his cigarette, dragging on it deeper than he should've because now there was nothing left now but filter. He made a fist and crushed it in his palm.

"Remind me?" Lazarus suggested, unwilling to say he had no idea and hoping Jake wouldn't talk about feathered bitches.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2019, 01:36:16 PM »
Thank god you're pretty, Jake thought, face unchanging as he did. So, Lazarus had clearly not heard the term harpy in vampire circles. Maybe that was better. Jake could make it anything he wanted to. He decided to read Lazarus's face in his response, feeling as though he was the current leader in this chess match. Their first encounter Jake had felt like a winy brat, begging Lazarus for his help to fight the Sabbat. It was nice to see him in this different light.

"I'm sad to see your disappointment," Jake said in a neutral tone. "I actually think you'd be perfect for the position. If I had known you were looking for a place to hang you hat I would've called you right away."

Jake's statement was half true. He did think that Lazarus would make a perfect and foreboding harpy, but would not have just called and offered him the position. He hoped that his flattery would reel the blonde back in. Flattery worked on most Kindred. Everyone wanted to hear about how great they were. He took another drag from his custom before crushing the scraps in a nearby ash tray.

"The harpy is a powerful leadership position that combines the duties of a judge, diplomat and celebrity. You'd keep track of who owes who favors, punish the wicked in this district according to my laws, be my voice to the other districts and be seen as a prominent face of our little operation. The title bestows respect and fear, and maybe even a little worship. You'd report only to me and to the person who becomes my sheriff."

Jake didn't know Lazarus super well, but he'd basically just offered him the job of being himself, getting paid, and getting to decide the fate of others. From all the Ventrue remembered about Lazarus and all the stories he'd heard, he would be surprised if the description didn't at least sound tempting.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 06:51:44 PM »
Flattery would get Jake anywhere. Lazarus wasn't stupid - he knew when someone was only buttering him up with pretty words that they didn't mean in order to get the best response. As far as Lazarus was concerned, it was good enough. He tended to react positively to flattery and compliments because encouraging it led to more of the same. What did it matter if the mind didn't mean what the mouth was saying? Too many people put too much stock into sincerity and honesty. Not everybody who swore fealty to their King loved their King, right? Just as long as lip service was paid and no attacks were made, the King didn't give a shit. Lazarus was in tune with that King.

Except he'd lost the title and now not enough people were grovelling and complimenting him, as they should. That bouncer at the door, who would've sensed his age and hadn't been respectful. That woman on the ground floor who'd dared to insult him before grudgingly showing her true position as Jake's secretary and - laughably - the owner of the bar. He wouldn't forget either and how they'd slighted him. There were more... so many more in this city who'd kicked him when he'd been down, and he would settle the score.

But not yet. First he needed power, and Jake was the key to that lock. With each description of a harpy's powers, Lazarus warmed to the idea more and more until he was positively thrumming by the end.

Report to me, Jake's lips said. Report to my sheriff, Jake's lips said. Lazarus liked what had been on those lips the first time, but not the second. Damn. He would be third in line, not second, but as yet nobody was in that position. Lazarus had come here for that, not for the other... but he could work as a harpy. The third seat in line was better than no seat at all. He didn't want to accept too readily but he also couldn't play it too cool. Jake might be toying with the idea of Lazarus for now, but he had a sense that the District Leader might bore of this game if Lazarus didn't let him have his victory.

"I can settle for a little worship if the quality of the worshipper is good," Lazarus admitted softly, not daring to add that he thought Jake would be fine in that role. He hadn't missed the way the pair of them were very close together but had chosen not to focus on it initially. Now it was hard to ignore.