Author Topic: All Expenses Paid  (Read 9918 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: All Expenses Paid
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2012, 03:48:08 PM »
It was so long ago that Vincent didn't remember, though he tried.  The memory of the ring had swollen up and overtaken the entire holiday.  When would he have made a joke about Owen giving more of himself to him?  And what did such a thing mean?  Had Owen not been 'obediant' and Vincent had joked about it?  Had Owen not been present and Vincent had joked about that?  He didn't remember joking about the trip Owen had taken to Florida with his friends.  He didn't remember saying anything at all about it, even though some sharp comments had appeared on his tongue and he'd had to keep his mouth closed for fear of what might fly out.  No, there were no jokes there.

"What are you offering?" he asked gently, needing clarification.

INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »
Owen sighed.  "That's just it.  I only have myself.  I was never sure it was enough, it never felt like it.  The ring made me face that.  Made me see... I was scared.  I'm still scared, but not of losing my life anymore.  Now I'm more scared of losing you," he admitted.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2012, 04:26:55 PM »
"Owen," Vincent said, still speaking in his same gentle tone, moving closer to hold his love, and to realise that he was colder than usual.  There was no way to wrap this up, but he could at least direct them back inside.  "All we ever have, are ourselves.  What really matters is your core being.  Everything else is just things and noise.  It might seem important now, when you're mortal, because it did to me as well.  I remember.  But to face eternity, to look at something with no ending, that takes love, and strength, and adaptability, and humanity, and compassion, and a desire to learn and be involved.  You have all of these things."  He touched his lips to Owen's softly, and they were cool with only warm breath to judge the temperature by.  "And me," he added.

He paused for just a moment before shifting Owen's focus.  "We have to get you back inside," he said, now crisp and perfunctory with his tone, starkly demonstrating the gentle love that had sounded in it earlier.  "Before we end up spending eternity as iceblocks."

He found he could smile again, and broadly, too, without the need for Owen's own smile to guide him.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :