Author Topic: Return of the Lost Boy  (Read 13085 times)

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
Re: Return of the Lost Boy
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »
He was so relieved to hear Kerr say alright that his eyes closed momentarily to savour it.  When he opened them, he looked steadily at his sire, reading his body language and seeing that he considered staying around for Ben to be a sacrifice.  He wasn\'t eager to do so, Ben saw, and that told him volumes.  He\'d been saved by someone who\'d wanted to do the right thing by him, but who didn\'t really want him.

Even with this knowledge he was unwilling to relinquish his hold over Kerr.  He\'d escaped a bad place and put into a good one, and now Kerr was inviting him to go somewhere else with him - into his home for a while, before coming back to the Oligarchy.  That would be okay.  He wanted to reward Kerr with what he seemed to want because of all he\'d done for Ben.

"I\'ll go wherever you think is easiest," he said, initially intending to end that sentence on the word \'best\' but wanting to communicate that he was willing to follow Kerr\'s lead and not be some annoyance or obligation.  "I don\'t want to be troublesome."

No, because being troublesome led to punishment, and even though Themba wasn\'t around to dole it out, it was instinctive in Ben to make the waves as small as possible.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »
Kerr managed to summon a smile and walked forward to embrace Ben lovingly, speaking quietly near his ear to reassure him.  "I\'m sorry.  You\'re not troublesome," he asserted, rubbing his back consolingly.  "I just hadn\'t stopped to think about how hard everything was for you.  I should\'ve - especially after last night."

The statement hung in the air for a moment while Kerr waited to see if Ben had anything to add.  "Look," he said then, pulling back to look at his fledgling, "it really would be more convenient to have you at the penthouse but... I\'m also a bit worried about the fact that it\'s not as secure as this place.  Are you sure you\'d be okay with that?"  He looked worriedly at Ben, wondering if he\'d given any consideration to the fact that Themba could track him to his home far more easily than he would find him at the Chambers.

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »
When embraced, Ben clung to Kerr gratefully, pressing himself to his sire.  He didn\'t cringe or flinch when last night was mentioned, figuring if what he\'d said made Kerr want to protect him then it had worked out well.  He let Kerr step away, but his hands remained on Kerr\'s hips, lingering.

"I want to be with you," Ben said.  To him there was no difference between staying at the Chambers or staying at Kerr\'s home.  If Themba wanted him, he would come and find him, and he doubted either place could stop him.  What he was counting on was the rest of his clan talking him out of wanting Ben.  He hoped that two weeks would be enough for the African Ancient to forget about him - or to focus on something or someone else.  Hopefully he\'d hear about how Ben had slept around and that he didn\'t want Ben back.  "I feel safe with you," he said, and the implication that he would feel safe with Kerr no matter where they were was apparent.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Existentially Odd

• Navigator
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2010, 01:47:48 AM »
"Oh, Love," Kerr sighed, a sad smile lifting his lips as he grasped Ben\'s face and leaned forward to kiss him.  "We\'ll get through this," he promised when he drew back, looking Ben fiercely in the eye.  He believed they\'d got through worse, so it stood to reason that he wasn\'t lying.

(Continued in \'Recovering Sanctuary\')