Author Topic: Damage Control  (Read 17941 times)

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
Re: Damage Control
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 11:36:23 PM »
Arutha's heart fell to the pit of his stomach as he arrived on the scene, just in time to bear witness to this devastating scene. "No!....No!....No!" he cried out in anguished despair as he saw Naoise's body fall and seem to split apart. Unlike the previous times where the other has come back, it didn't seem like this was going to be ones. This thought tore what had begun to heal inside anew as he leapt from his bike and he ran to what was left of Naoise.

All thoughts of protecting and fighting the zombie threat had vanished from his mind. He didn't care for what was going on around him even though he ached to make Tess pay for what she had done. All that seemed to matter was that he couldn't just leave him there. Whatever happened next would or wouldn't. He couldn't care less as he found himself kneeling with tears running down his face, trying to pick up what was left of him.

"No! Damn...you! Come back please, Kit!" he begged, calling out to anything or anyone to make that happen.
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Arutha, Declan, Kevla, Kieran, Mitrius

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 02:58:49 AM »
"No?" Sabrina said, in a voice that was only hers, in response to the demand. She watched the other blonde rise off the ground then crumple back to it.

And then everything flew apart like a watch wound too tight in an opened fist.

Once some of the dust had settled, Sabrina moved to the bush where Siobhan had secreted herself away. Her hands twitched in a the casting of a powerful but temporary protection. No power on earth would harm this girl so long as she slept, and she'd sleep until Sabrina or one of the others came back for her.  Straightening, her eyes lingered on Maria, locked in battle with whatever was left of Tess. The giant left her to it. The pair on the ground she could do nothing for, now, though the dying scream of the cat-who-was-not-a-cat and his partner’s sobs cut her deeply.

A third, larger pair of hands joined Lacy's and Wren's in the soil, and Sabrina's voice joined theirs. The Earth began to heed their joined call, power spreading like ripples in a pool. The dead slowed and stopped in their tracks, then turned, and started to shuffle back home.

Wren would feel a blackness in Sabrina's magic, as well, but nothing of the sulfur Tess had used to kill the tree and blight the ground. And unlike the other blonde, whatever Sabrina commanded was firmly in control. She served no Master.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 01:26:19 PM »
Now she understood why Black Philip wanted that little PJ wearing witch's soul. She had power. It reminded Tess of her own clan's and the healing spell she used to save that idiot with the bat reminded Tess of who she used to be. She hated that witch now, and made a vow to gut her and take her power as soon as humanly possible. The time freezing magic she'd never seen before, and she instantly wanted it. Tess's ribs were broken, but she used her black touch on the roots that bound her to mend them to severely bruised. Her bag of tricks was too far to reach, but she had a way to claim it.

"Book! Come to me!" The bag flew towards her, unzipping and her book of shadows popping open to the needed spell. Thank god it was brief, and her high from the cat would grant her the power she needed.

"Re structurae spatium, dele me de campo!"

A strike of lighting lit the sky striking Tess directly. However, when it was gone so was Lucifer's servant, bag of tricks and Book included. She left a parting gift through, something to remember her by. She opened the crypts that had stayed locked during her first pass, a convenient group of reinforcements to tear them apart as they futility tried to save the very dead tree. Where she went wouldn't be clear, the spell not a typical form of teleportation. She'd avoided touching Maria's spirit, and wondered if that meant she'd be spared it's curse. She doubted it though. She'd weather the storm, and she was sure her patron could pull a few strings with the people who run this particular magic.

Tess had wanted to test the witches of this city and their incompetence had cost them the life of one of their own. "Saint" Sabrina had failed them, and Tess knew now the pain and suffering she'd endured was time well spent. She'd kill them one by one, except for little old Wren. He would be hers, mind, body and fucking soul. The darkness within him stank like fine cheese, and Tess very much wanted a taste. The others would all die of course, especially that little miracle worker. She'd suffer the most.

[[English: Matter, structure, time and space, from this plain let me erase..]]

Lacy had been shot in her life, and she was no stranger to the harsh cut of a knife's edge. This was different though, and the pain she experienced was unlike anything she'd ever felt in her life. She collapsed to her knees first, looking at Tess in utter shock. This was how she'd die. How stupid was she that she'd come so far with these people. She was just a normal person in a city of amazing powers. She was just a cop. Time freezing was unreal to her, and as Shiobhan pulled the dagger from her lung, she realized she couldn't breathe. Gasping for breath is a horrid way to die, and Lacy choked for a few moments as Shiobhan started her spell. Once healed she was able to draw air again, although in the moments after she could do nothing else.

Then Wren lifted her, cradling her to the van. He was a good man. Lacy could feel it, and she placed a hand on him as he walked, her eyes thankful but her mouth shut. Riding as a passenger in her own van was a strange experience and she didn't understand at first what they were doing with the tree. She felt odd trying to chant the words. She had no power. But she had to try. Aunt Daphne would tell her growing up that the power of the virgin mother lived in all, if only they believed in it. Detective-Sergeant Lacy Velez, ball busting, fact finding investigator took a leap of faith.

"Sos... sa... tsíocháin, áit sosa." She sounded horrible. Her hands now in the earth she took a deep breath and thought of Jesus healing the sick and prayed the lord would work through witches and that at least for one night she was a witch too. 

"Sos sa tsíocháin, áit sosa." And then she felt it, the beginning of something.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 01:51:50 PM »
With Lacy's chanting, Wren closed his eyes to better focus the call. Return, he thought, even as he mouthed the words of his people. Touching the earth near the dead tree was his attempt at not calling any other dead. He didn't want the dead from other cemeteries coming here. His eyes opened when he felt Sabrina digging into the earth with him, and Wren felt her power like it was a physical thing. Something inside of him awakened, a stronger power that he'd tapped into once, something that responded to Sabrina and thrummed through him and into his hands, into the earth, joining the energy of the three of them together. Strongest, neutral, weakest. Every little bit helped enough to ripple the soil.

The charge radiated outward from their central point, speeding along the ground and felling the dead where they stood. The ones who'd turned and started back also dropped to the ground, again lifeless. They'd already done a lot of damage for two blocks, but once again they were at peace.

Wren felt exhausted and dirty again, like he needed another shower. He finally felt as naked as he looked and he pulled out his earth-soaked hands, looking at them and aware something in him had responded to Sabrina's power. It hadn't been entirely negative, though. Just a tapping into that he didn't understand, for it had come with no ritual, no words.

The large woman beside him was a protector, much like the people of his circle, but he was no longer with them. If not for her joining them, the task of calling the dead back would've been much harder, much slower. At least now it was a matter of picking up bodies.

"I am Wren Maddoc, of..." he stopped his introduction before he named his circle. A habit. "Of nowhere in particular. I just moved to this city this morning. Quite the welcome," he smiled though it didn't reach his eyes. "And this is... uh..." his gaze dropped to Lacy's name tag. "Detective-Sargent Lacy Velez," he read. He turned back to face Sabrina, admiring her eyes. "Uh. Her aunt has the gift."

He didn't think it was something to be kept secret.
INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2019, 05:35:15 PM »
Shiobhán slept, protected and secure within Sabrina’s protection spell, her mind and body was severely drained of magical energy and being currently unconscious she was totally unaware of the world or events unfolding around her. With the release of the built-up power she had been suppressing and denying since her parents’ death she was now finally ready to see and accept the reality of the world she lived in, and to learn and properly use the gifts she had been born with. However, the powers she had temporally tapped into this night as well as the range of other powers she could potentially discover due to the legacy of her bloodline were now beyond her capacity to access, and would need years of dedicated study and practice before she could again unlock them.

Cool, shadow shifting mist materialized and coalesced around the remains of Naoise, carrying with it the faint almost undetectable scent of night jasmine and the feel of the magical, elusive element of aether. When it finally dissipated Naoise lay whole, unharmed and still firmly collared.

His eyes flew open as he returned to life and gasped loudly as his lungs billowed and sucked in air. Gods he felt like shit, his body felt like he had just been run over by a semi and he ached to the marrow of his bones, not to mention he was as weak as a new born kitten and barely able to move. Once he got his bearing he also realized that once again, he had awoken with the sounds of Arutha sobbing brokenly over him. Fuck!

*Mo grá, mo grá.* He sent weakly, soothingly to his grieving love *I am here, I am with you. I am not going anywhere*

He remembered the pain of his recent death and the events leading up to it and he wondered if everyone else was okay and if so where were they, especially that little blond bitch, as he had a score to settle with her. However, as he felt Arutha’s tears fall on him, he forgot about Tess and everyone else. He had far more important things in his life to worry about and all of it surrounded him, cradling him within his loving arms.

Offline Idrial

• Novelist
  • Being a vampire is a privilege. Not an excuse.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2019, 05:55:50 PM »
Maria smiled as the curse was complete, her Pangool rushed Tess, that bitch would pay dearly. Contained or not Takhar sought justice for Tess and that could not be stopped. Maria still had enough energy to bless this unholy ground, she needed to look for the tree. The dead tree that the necromancer mentioned, left to find it on foot as Wren drove off with an extremely weak Lacy, thank God for healing magic. It had been a long time Maria had to use so much energy, not since her time back in her homeland. Perhaps there was a place for Maria in this world, finding the tree easily enough. Sabrina's barrier was beyond appreciated and earned Maria's respect as a magic user.

Maria could see Wren attempt with Lacy's help to bring back the dead to the graveyard. It seemed nothing was happening so far, stepping in to help the Druid. Kneeling down and placing her hands in the hole, repeating his words. He needed to summon the dead back before she could bless the grounds, he needed more power and she offered a little to him. Too much and she could not bless the cemetery but she hoped it would be enough between the three of them to boost his spell.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 12:36:33 AM »
As he tried to pick what was left of the cursed man who now he realized he loved, Arutha's skin prickled at the strange mist that seemed to come from nowhere to settle over Naoise's remains. Now what was going on? It was magic beyond the pulse of the earth. This much was obvious, but he wasn't sure he could take much more. His heart felt like it was bleeding from the inside out at the memory of the terrible sight he had just witnessed. And damn it felt like he was too late both in his arrival and well as in the realization that he loved Naoise.

With that despairing thought into mind, tears flowed freely down his cheeks as he knelt at his side. His vision blurred for a second and he could have sworn that he heard Naoise weakly calling to him. Sniffling, he rubbed his eyes and they widened with shocked joy, seeing the feline whole on the ground before him.

"Oh my god! You're here...and alive." he said reaching out to try to touch him, "How? I thought I lost you."
"It is a man's own mind, not his enemy or foe, that lures him to evil ways." -Siddhartha Buddha

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2019, 04:34:42 AM »
Sabrina straightened from her crouch as Wren did. "A pleasure to meet both of you." The witch meant it, smiling benignly down at both of them as she brushed dirt from her palms, then moved on tho picking it from under her long, sharp fingernails, painted matte black.  "Welcome to The City, Wren-of-nowhere. I'm the leader of the Southern District. My home is open if you need a place to stay." She let her gaze rake over him, calculating. The blackness she'd felt in him was fractional, but it might be difficult for him to stay at the Parlour. Her Magic had warped the place, and darkness called to darkness. She didn't think about it in such black and white terms, certainly, but knew that most magic users did.

"Thank you for not shooting me," she said mildly to Lacy, the corner of her mouth a-twist in a wry smile. Not that the Detective had had much chance, or choice in the matter, "How are you feeling?" She could offer further healing if necessary, but the amount of power the young, untrained witch had been enough to stop a Mack truck -- a knife wound was nothing to that.   

Offline Trillian

• Devil's Advocate
  • Administrator
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2019, 10:17:10 AM »
Wren supported Lacy in a firm hold, his arm around her waist. She greeted Sabrina, still sounding dazed, and added 'you're welcome' which was very obviously a habit borne from a polite upbringing. Wren looked from her back to the powerful witch and gave a soft laugh even though he was concerned for the policewoman.

The dark-skinned witch... Maria, if he remembered correctly... plunged her hands into the hole they'd made and cast a spell he didn't recognise. The undead had already fallen so perhaps she was ridding the cemetary of further evil, or protecting it specifically from Tess, or blessing its ground, or even reversing the death of the tree. The last thing would require godlike powers, to bring something back to life, but after what he'd seen from the small group below, he no longer had doubt that the woman had it in her. Their powers were beyond his own. He needed a circle to create magic so huge.

Or a sacrifice.

He thought of what Tess had done to the cat and pressed his lips together. The invitation to stay with this witch was an attractive one. He didn't think he would be safe at the motel if the city was as volatile as this, and there was nothing there for him (except to collect his suitcase worth of belongings).

"I accept, thank you. I will need the rest of my clothes if you don't mind swinging past the Detour Motel first?" he asked Sabrina, wondering if she had a different vehicle available for him (and Lacy, as he didn't want to abandon her just yet). Driving around in the police van might attract some unwanted attention.

INFUSCO : Ben : Hugh : Lan Bao : Mick : Todd : Vincent : Win :
HALFLIGHT : Graille Min Sayer :

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2019, 04:57:49 PM »
Naoise weakly buttered his head against Arutha's reaching hand, he too needed the affirmation of touch, In the short time he had known Arutha he had fallen deeply and completely in love with the man and although he believed any relationship between them was pointless because of the nature of his curse, the thought of never being with him again had shaken him to his core.

*It told you Mo grá, Death, like the rest of the world has forgotten my name and therefore can not find me. I am truly glad for it in this case. I thought I had lost you too this time.*

He tried to pull himself to his feet but the effort proved to much and he sank back to the ground. never before had he returned from death this weakened before.

*By Danu! I feel like I have been struck by Balor's Eyes* he sent to Arutha as he tried to look around and realized they were completely alone. Panic suddenly gripped him as he was in no state to be able to protect himself or the man he loved *Where is everyone? Why are you alone? Arutha, it isn't safe here, you must go, please. Leave me, go find Kevla and get you both to safety. I will be fine*

He struggled to his feet, propped himself up against Arutha's knees and looked around at the now empty and quiet cemetery. Where was Wren and the others? Where was Tess and more importantly where were all the fucking zombies?

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2019, 01:18:42 AM »
Ever since they had met, he had been steadily falling in love with the man, cursed collar or not. Arutha just didn't realise how much he had until faced with the very real possibility of losing Naoise. A part of him had been holding back admitting this fact given his previous loss. No more if they both made it out of this alive, he swore that he would to tell him.

"Hearing that and seeing what I saw when I got here are two completely different things, Kit. You were almost dust." he said softly, fingers gently petting the soft fur of the other's head. The touch grounded him and made him feel more stable than when he had arrived and saw that terrible sight. His nerves still felt raw at the memory but it was better due to the knowledge Naoise was okay.

At the other's panicked words, he lifted his head to more take in his surroundings. In all truth he had completely ignored what else was going on. For his world had shrunk down to that single sight as the group Naoise had been with took care of the threat after Tess left. Yes it was reckless and more than a little foolish but in the heat of the moment he hadn't cared.

"The scary blonde that hurt you left. As for the others, I'm not certain. I think that they are around. I'm sorry. I was more focused on you, but I think that they took care of the zombies." he admitted as Naoise fought to try to stand and told him to leave. His features hardened at that thought and shook his head stubbornly.

"I don't know where Kevla is, but if you think that I'm just up and going to leave you after all that. You're crazy, Kit." he said firmly, kneeling down a little further to try to pick Naoise up.

Offline Black Philip

• Novelist
  • A Goat Looking For Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2019, 06:33:59 AM »
Lazy Velez had always thought that supernaturals were real, and had some confirmation of that before tonight. Now, she couldn't run from it anymore. She stopped her worried praying and finally responded, her voice deep and professional, "You're welcome." When Sabrina made the offer to let Wren stay, she frowned. She'd planned on asking him to stay with her. Aunt Daphne would've made such a feast for him. Then she touched her chest. It was solid. It was hers. Yet, the imprint of a knife hitting her dead was still in her mind.

"I don't need anymore healing, but can I come too," she asked Sabrina. "It seems I have the gift as well and I don't know what it means."

She didn't hold onto Wren. However, she stood so near to him their shoulders touched, and she hoped Sabrina would see she wasn't ready to say goodbye yet.
Be a sadist. Now matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them — in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
- Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Jake Benny Kyle Lisa-Joe James/Jimmy Tess Tyler Apep Ari Lacy Mithras

Offline Harlequin

• Founder
  • Novelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2019, 08:52:45 AM »
Sabrina watched Maria with interest, feeling the heat of her power spreading into the earth beneath them. She took a moment to memorize the other woman's face, and the spicy, hazy scent of her. They could learn from each other.

"Certainly," Sabrina's smile broadened and warmed when Lacy asked if she could come along. There was nothing the tall woman loved more than playing the gracious host.

Her nose wrinkled slightly above the smile, then, "I don't do well with...cars." She brought her hands close together, fingers creating an imaginary sphere to illustrate the idea of being squashed. "I was also going to bring the young supernova with me, if I can't rouse her." She nodded in the direction of the cemetery gates, where Siobhan lay asleep under her protection spell.

"Let's meet there?" Now that Lacy was joining them, they could take her car.

Offline Seragil

• Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
As Aruthas words sunk in his anxiety lessened and he lifted his head up and looked up towards him. His near death was still heavy on his mind too and the fact that he had thought he would never see this man again.

*Mo grá, Arutha. I thought I was truly dead tonight and my last thoughts, my only thoughts were of you. I thought I was truly immortal but now I am not so sure. If that is so, then I cannot take the chance of never having told you this. I love you, with all of that I am, I love you. For all that you are and will ever be, I love you and if I were to die this night, tomorrow or in another thousand years I would die content simply for having knowing you, Arutha Brooks.* He wanted to say more but he suddenly felt selfconcious and unsure. Arutha and his sister had been through so much because of him and he was a complicated creature to live with and would most likely be a cat for the rest of eternity. Had he just made a fool of them both? He couldn't help but wonder.

Shiobhan continued to rest peacefully beneath Sabrina's protective spell, drifting between sleep and wakefulness as her mind and body paid the price for using and releasing such extreme amounts of power untrained and completely unprepared.

Offline MementoMori

• Wordsmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2019, 03:47:57 AM »
As their eyes met again, Arutha's mind flashed back to the terrible scene that he had arrived at and what still laid unsaid between them. So he carefully cradled him close in his arms. Nothing else would do. He needed to be near him.

Then those words, those amazing words came through their link. In many ways he hadn't thought he would ever hear them again. His heart lifted and he felt his response deep inside before speaking it. "I love you too, Kit. I wish that I could shout your true name from the rooftops and stomp that blasted collar into tiny pieces. When I thought that you might be gone, it felt like my chest was ripped open. I didn't realise how much I love you until I was faced with the very real possibility that you were gone. And it was more than I could bear. I'm yours for as long as you'll have me." he said earnestly. The feelings poured out and it felt like he could say so much more. Now all that remained was to free him of the collar and be happy. Even though it seemed like an impossible task, it felt so much closer than before.